Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Vote of Confidence
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 27 Guests

Do the supporters still back the Manager?
  View Results 0 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Vote of Confidence

This thread currently has 36,271 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2015, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rik e B
Well fair play to the discontented portion for not bringing a poisonous vitriol to the match day experience. We all want Town promoted and that just breeds negativity which snowballs and spreads into the dressing room. Yes they then get what they want but at the detriment of points on the board here and now no doubt.

We've had too many years of a cursed cloud of negativity at the Park, yes people's frustrations are understandable but the present incumbents not the ones responsible and they can only work with what we've got now. I'm just glad most seem to have grasped this now and watching Town has become for the most part enjoyable again. It really does put me on edge to have naysayers all around me spitting expletives at the players, they hear and look over towards me. It's not a nice feeling and not conducive to togetherness or them wanting to give their all for us.

The rapport between the players and fans has made being a Town fan the best since the days of Livvo et al, I'm loving it all despite the division. Yes it's embarrassing in the banter stakes with outsiders but who can say that say Harrogate in the FA Cup preliminary was not a fantastic day out?

It's not an acceptance of mediocrity, it's an acceptance of what is, here and now. This is where we're at -budget, standard of players willing to come to us etc etc. Enjoying the moment but striving to build for a better future.

We all want success but success means promotion not nearly promotion or the play-offs or even winning the Trophy. I think we all agree that he deserved another chance but it's getting to the point now where someone has to decide firstly, if and secondly, when PH has taken the club as far as he can take it. This is what I've been banging on about - who is it that makes that decision? The board is now full of so many diverse interests that I can't for the life of me see how it will play out (if at all!) Not, thankfully, that it's any of my business.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 171
Rik e B
November 1, 2015, 3:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
My stomach turns at football politics and those who are in there as a status symbol/for the perks  (not that I lay that at the current board just digressing there) but I would guess as always it would be a democratic vote. Of which the trust would have one ballot.

Even with Fenty as Commander in Chief I think he was outvoted on some appointments/dismissals.

As for the trophy. Play the kids, bloody nuisance thing -getting out of this league and a smattering of the romance of the FA Cup should be the be all and end all. Nothing should be given the remotest inkling of a possibility of hampering our endless strive for league football. Wembley is cack anyway, total ripoff and not even novel anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 171
ackomariner
November 1, 2015, 3:59pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Think everyone knows my views on here

I did start a thread two years ago this Xmas , asking the question if Hurst doesn't get us promoted, should he go at the end of the season.

Then last year there was another vote about Hurst going, and the last time I saw it the vote was well and truly in favour of getting rid, but for some strange reason I can't find either thread.

Think the fishy police didn't agree with them, so maybe got deleted

Anyway I still want him gone, think nothing has changed with the guy and nothing ever will IMHO

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 171
kevikov
November 1, 2015, 8:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
I voted no, not because i'd boo the team or manager, not because it would stop me going to games either. Mainly because i've felt for this season and last season that i've seen what he is capable of and don't really have the faith its enough. He can spot a player - no doubt. He can assemble a decent squad and get the togetherness right - no doubt. What he can't do, is tactics. He is consistently out managed by better managers with lesser squads (imo). A lot of talk is about he is learning, a young manager improving, i don't buy that. He might be improving in points per season or the odd place, but he has shown his colours and is confident that he doesn't need to change them, there in lies the question, are you happy with a manager who is happy with a draw, sets his stall out and refuses to change it until usually too late and almost always like for like subs or, do you want a manager who seeks out wins, instills confidence both to the players and the fans? I kind of don't blame the board in a way, a steady manager who will pretty much guarantee playoffs but barely shows glimpses of a winning mentality, it must be hard to gamble on someone else.  

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 171
barralad
November 1, 2015, 8:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We all want success but success means promotion not nearly promotion or the play-offs or even winning the Trophy. I think we all agree that he deserved another chance but it's getting to the point now where someone has to decide firstly, if and secondly, when PH has taken the club as far as he can take it. This is what I've been banging on about - who is it that makes that decision? The board is now full of so many diverse interests that I can't for the life of me see how it will play out (if at all!) Not, thankfully, that it's any of my business.

I'm going to have one more go at this.....

Why does an individual have to be the one who makes the decision? GTFC have a Board made up of people each of whom brings something different to the table in terms of what they can offer for the furtherment of GTFC. The days of board members not pulling their weight are long gone. As part of the Trust Board of Management I get to listen to reports about the work being done and there is a great deal of hard work being carried out on behalf of the club-a lot of it under the radar as it were.  Do they need to be the same, think the same? Not for me they don't. I actually don't think you are but if I've misunderstood and you are saying that the Board has conflicting interests then could you expand on that? In an organisation that has a Board of Directors (I'm not really business orientated but isn't it a stipulation of Company Law that a PLC has to have a Board of Directors?) there is a situation of "collective responsibility" for decision making surely? Each Board member will have responsibility for a different part of the business and will lead on that in discussion with some decisions cutting across the divides.  We as fans have a vested interest in our decision making through our two board members. "Our" directors will inform debate by making others aware of the way fans look at situations. It ranks as a major success in my eyes that there are two fans representative directors. A lot of clubs fans are envious of the position we are in in that respect. Personally I wouldn't want us to be in the position where one person unilaterally made all of the big decisions. JF was criticised to the rooftops when it looked like he was making decisions on his own.
The other thing that occured to me was that in organisations I've been involved with the chairman of an organisation doesn't actually play that big a part in discussion. (Look at the Premier League. Roman Abramovich may be the money man but he most definitely isn't Chelsea's chairman.) They are there to chair meetings ensuring that all points of view are heard and in the unlikely situation of a stalemate exercise a casting vote. That may be an over-simplification but does beg the question as to whether there is any adverse effect from not having someone fulfill the role

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 171
barralad
November 1, 2015, 8:44pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Rik e B
My stomach turns at football politics and those who are in there as a status symbol/for the perks  (not that I lay that at the current board just digressing there) but I would guess as always it would be a democratic vote. Of which the trust would have one ballot.

Even with Fenty as Commander in Chief I think he was outvoted on some appointments/dismissals.

As for the trophy. Play the kids, bloody nuisance thing -getting out of this league and a smattering of the romance of the FA Cup should be the be all and end all. Nothing should be given the remotest inkling of a possibility of hampering our endless strive for league football. Wembley is cack anyway, total ripoff and not even novel anymore.

Very good post. Just one small point. The Trust have two GTFC Board members so it follows that we would have two votes in that case.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 171
promotion plaice
November 1, 2015, 8:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from 28195
Let's back him or sack him

Not having a dig but just interested which way the original poster voted.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 171
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2015, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

Very good post. Just one small point. The Trust have two GTFC Board members so it follows that we would have two votes in that case.

That being the case, would the Trust board members canvas the Trust members before voting or would they just go on their own judgment?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 171
ackomariner
November 1, 2015, 9:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That being the case, would the Trust board members canvas the Trust members before voting or would they just go on their own judgment?

Surely they would canvas its members I would've thought

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 171
barralad
November 1, 2015, 9:15pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In an ideal world I suppose a consultation exercise would be great. Realistically they take some organising (The vote for the share give away to JF was a monster to organise) and decisions have to be made quickly some times so the latter is much more likely. Speaking as someone who has had the honour to work with both of them for over three years now I can safely say that in my opinion, in any voting scenario they would always have the best interests of GTFC at heart.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Vote of Confidence

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.