chaos33
February 25, 2015, 12:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from BIGChris
We have made a habit in failing to break down a 10 man defence at BP BUT this wasn't one of those!!

Despite not being on top of our game we created enough chances to have run out winners by 5/6/7 . The fact we didn't was down to some shocking finishing. LJL has had by full support this season but today he was worse than poor. Not just for missing clear chances but his touch, control, movement were all well below standard.

Let's face it we totally dominated the game but they were very poor and you could see why they are bottom of the league, however at 1-0 no games is secure.

Mackreth all of a sudden seems to have discovered his pace than we saw against us in previous seasons, Toto was the dominant one IMO out of our central defence, Robertson had a good game. Including a good pass for Arnold's goal. Arnold's touch is the best in the squad and he was a threat throughout but he missed a golden chance in the first half.

Magnay got the sponsors man of the match once again although I thought his distribution was not up to his high standard.

Why are we so uninspiring at BP? I agree with many that away games are far more entertaining and enjoyable. I feel sorry for those who can only get to home games because in isolation we are shockingly ineffective.

Bottom line is a win is a win. Get another 3 pts on Saturday and keep taking it a game at a time

Good summary, agree with most of that.

I thought we played some good football at times, but didn't make enough use of diagonal balls to defeat their straight lines, and think we badly lack quickness of movement in our strikers, and better decision making and finishing composure generally. Most had decent games. I'd pick out Toto, Pearson and Robertson, and thought Jolley and Arnold looked dangerous, as did Mackreth, albeit with little decent end product. Disley had a good, straightforward sort of a game too.

I tought Hurst substituted the wrong striker and showed his favouratism of LJL to be a weakness in his approach. Luckily they were too poor to actually make a chance so I never (for once) thought we would throw it away at 1-0, but think we let ourselves down a little but in not capitalising on at least one or two of the other half dozen good openings we created. Pleased with 3 points and that's the main thing. People saying it was the worst, or one of the worst games they had ever seen, or that they thought Town were awful obviously haven't watched enough Town games, or football generally. We totaly controlled the game and won very comfortably, despite the scoreline.

BP was as quiet as a disused cold war bunker.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
arryarryarry
February 25, 2015, 1:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
I think the question was asked in another thread after the Barnet game, "where are we now" back to square one for me, I know we won but that was a pitiful performance.

Not sure if I watched a difference match to some and I know he scored the goal but I thought Arnold was very poor, kept giving the ball away, mind you he wasn't the only one, LJL, Jolley and Mackreth were just as poor.

Christ Telford were shite.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
Mrs Doyle
February 25, 2015, 3:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Lennie as a massive workload and they know his game but I wish he could calm down a bit in front of goal, the one he blazed over the bar in the first half from a tight angle, if he had just squared it two players were in position for a easy tap in. I hope Ollie is fit for Saturday we need a extra target up front to either play along side Lennie or with someone else up front. It must be so frustrating to the other strikers on the bench to see so many chances wasted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
jonnyboy82
February 25, 2015, 7:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Now if paul picks lenny on saturday it shows to me he aint got the balls or brains to make proper decisions.

Anyone with half a brain cell can see he needs to be given some time out , I mean lets be totally honest the lad is missing chance after chance.

We know he struggles with his finishing but its a bit silly now.

Time to show you are a manager that can make the right decisions paul at the right time.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
the driver
February 25, 2015, 7:49am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +127
Totally agree with most of the comments on the game thought Clay had a superb game wrong decision to bring on Brown unless Clay had a knock due to some very hard tackles in the first half he is allways available wants the ball a couple of poor passes but most of the game played well ,Jolley a improvement on the last home match still a lot to do as other posters have said a win is a win is a win
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
DocTower
February 25, 2015, 7:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
After a nights sleep I have had time to think about last night . The home crowd was low considering Saturdays exploits , the performance proved the stay away fans right .  Home game syndrome . Regarding Lenny ,  ever present , first name on the team sheet , hard worker , footballing brain no .  Just how many partners has he had that have been dropped for failing to deliver . It appears to me  other forwards and strikers just can't  play with him with no understanding of what he's going to do, but Hurst is so stubborn or fails to notice this . Ok he has a few goals the majority were fortunate they hit him  , his misses have cost us and will this season . Nice chap , frustrating to watch , heart in the right place .  Midfield  muscle would be my position fir him .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
Maringer
February 25, 2015, 8:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Oh, come on. That's just a ridiculous claim. He's scored 13 lucky goals this season and the failings of the other strikers are all his fault? That's just daft. If you believe the (dodgy IMO) stats on the OS, he's got 4 assists as well as his goals (I think there have are actually been several more than just 4 assists) so that's at least 17 goals he's been involved closely in this season.

He's certainly got a monkey on his back at the moment and looks to be trying too hard when he gets into the position for his chances, but don't forget that most of these chances only came because of his own running and movement last night. On the other hand, I reckon his link-up play has been worse than usual of late, perhaps because he's thinking about his barren spell instead of just playing the game. Instead of having that effort over the bar at the near post in the first half, he should certainly have crossed for Jolley. Poor decision-making there.

Could Lennie do with a rest? Perhaps so, but I'm not sure which of our other strikers can match all of his attributes so I don't think Hurst will risk dropping him. Pittman can perhaps do some of the physical stuff that we expect from LJL, but he's not got as much bulk in comparison and I don't think he's at his best leading the line. Palmer can lead the line but doesn't have the same pace. Jolley has the pace but is looking very lightweight. Hannah has no pace or strength in comparison. Hopefully, Palmer will return to fitness soon to give us other options but I can't see any way LJL will be dropped in the interim. Rightly so, in my opinion.

Still, it's nice to have a few strikers available to choose from, something we've been badly lacking for most of the season.

On another note, how on Earth have Telford scored 46 goals this season? That's just 2 fewer than top of the table Bristol Rovers but they looked utterly toothless up front all the way through the game! Bizarre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 25, 2015, 8:48am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Well think most areas have been covered in the respective posts and I agree that Telford were woeful but thought the game was the perfect example of why we struggle at home. In general our build play is slow and lethargic giving teams time to regroup and get back in position, then on the few occasions we break quickly, McKreth in the second half more than once(why not use this speed more often)we are too slow to get the required support up front.

Threaded passes inside the full back are a rarity and for me Jolley looks a little lost and indecisive when he gets the ball and he & LJL do not look comfortable as a partnership. LJL as others have said had a woeful night in all fronts which again takes us back as to why Hurst did not use Watson and Pittman after say an hour to try and influence the game. Not a big LJL fan but even so the guy is allowed a shocker but when he does have one take him off like you would any other player, think PH's attitude in this respect turns the crowd on LJL more than is necessary.

Happy we got 3 points but yearn for those classic Tuesday night matches of yesteryear!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
mariner91
February 25, 2015, 9:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from DocTower
After a nights sleep I have had time to think about last night . The home crowd was low considering Saturdays exploits , the performance proved the stay away fans right .  Home game syndrome . Regarding Lenny ,  ever present , first name on the team sheet , hard worker , footballing brain no .  Just how many partners has he had that have been dropped for failing to deliver . It appears to me  other forwards and strikers just can't  play with him with no understanding of what he's going to do, but Hurst is so stubborn or fails to notice this . Ok he has a few goals the majority were fortunate they hit him  , his misses have cost us and will this season . Nice chap , frustrating to watch , heart in the right place .  Midfield  muscle would be my position fir him .

You claim he has no football brain then suggest getting him to play a completely alien position which is in no way similar to the positions he has previously played. Couldn't make it up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
DocTower
February 25, 2015, 9:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from mariner91

You claim he has no football brain then suggest getting him to play a completely alien position which is in no way similar to the positions he has previously played. Couldn't make it up.

Wow , obvious by you comments your in love with Lenny .  No I said the muscle in midfield , win the ball , that's all . Hurst won't drop him . Too late in the season to change things anyway .  Read other comments regarding strike partners the reoccurring  message is no understanding .  Been watching town for over 55 years now , the ever present observation is if someone doesn't deliver , change  it . These home performances especially this season haven't  been inspiring,  lack of atmosphere hence the relatively  low crowd .
I turn up , I pay for my ticket ,  I watch as you do . We can make true observation not like the ones who read the newspaper and know all about it . Will there with you next home game , you never know , watching a  fest .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.