Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2015, 9:50pm
Christ, that was hard work. Was all i could manage to stay awake. Too many opportunities to create chances missed with poor decision making and when we did create some, we were woeful in putting them away. If we had a decent striker or two, we'd urine this league. Bit keystone cops at times but three points is three points. Pity Bristol pulled it out the bag again but all we can do is win as many as poss.

BP is not an exciting experience, generally.
Posted by: DocTower, February 24, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 1
Teams know that we are beatable at home and it shows . We were sort of in control but always looking as we could throw it away .
Too many missed chances , yes we are a conference side but just how long are we going to have to put up with with the same formation and forward .
3 points , very unforgettable .
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 24, 2015, 10:01pm; Reply: 2
Enough chances to win two games according to JT.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 24, 2015, 10:01pm; Reply: 3
For me a win is a win, never looked like conceeding, should have had 3 or 4, not a great game but got the 3 points and im happy with that
Posted by: ackomariner, February 24, 2015, 10:04pm; Reply: 4
I'll tell you what....if LJL gets 20 goals this season he can shove a sausage up my @rse along with jonnyboy.

Will never happen....he must have missed at least six tonight, but will start again on sat
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 24, 2015, 10:05pm; Reply: 5
Possibly the worst individual display I've ever seen. Lennie wasn't great on Saturday, but tonight matched his lack of ability with a lack of effort.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 24, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 6
If there is such thing as a comfortable 1-0 win, then that was it. We scored early enough in the second half and although they had a decent amount of possession then never really troubled McKeown. It was McKeown's own error that gave them their best chance and we were fortunate their player fluffed it but apart from that I can't remember him having that much to do tonight, apart from tripping himself up.
Posted by: DocTower, February 24, 2015, 10:10pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Possibly the worst individual display I've ever seen. Lennie wasn't great on Saturday, but tonight matched his lack of ability with a lack of effort.

I never like to criticise by name but change is needed . We have better alternatives sat on the bench , being put through the wringer like that isn't doing my health any good .
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2015, 10:12pm; Reply: 8
Lenny should have had an easy hat trick tonight. The fact he didn't manage one and has stopped scoring any in the last 2 months means a change should be imminent but i doubt it will be. We don't have anyone else who can do his role. Palmer possibly when fit but he's not really an aerial type player, despite his height.  :-/
Posted by: BIGChris, February 24, 2015, 10:15pm; Reply: 9
We have made a habit in failing to break down a 10 man defence at BP BUT this wasn't one of those!!

Despite not being on top of our game we created enough chances to have run out winners by 5/6/7 . The fact we didn't was down to some shocking finishing. LJL has had by full support this season but today he was worse than poor. Not just for missing clear chances but his touch, control, movement were all well below standard.

Let's face it we totally dominated the game but they were very poor and you could see why they are bottom of the league, however at 1-0 no games is secure.

Mackreth all of a sudden seems to have discovered his pace than we saw against us in previous seasons, Toto was the dominant one IMO out of our central defence, Robertson had a good game. Including a good pass for Arnold's goal. Arnold's touch is the best in the squad and he was a threat throughout but he missed a golden chance in the first half.

Magnay got the sponsors man of the match once again although I thought his distribution was not up to his high standard.

Why are we so uninspiring at BP? I agree with many that away games are far more entertaining and enjoyable. I feel sorry for those who can only get to home games because in isolation we are shockingly ineffective.

Bottom line is a win is a win. Get another 3 pts on Saturday and keep taking it a game at a time
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 24, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 10
Phew!! we made a meal out of that we bossed the game for large intervals and should have had a bag full but three points will do nicely at this stage. Mc Kewon had very little to do Pearson was outstanding and Robertson looked assured. Arnold took his goal really well. The shop................well he had one decent effort that hit the bar but is finishing was a bit woeful. That's one banana skin dealt with bur so many chances missed ?  We got away with that one. :o :o :o
Posted by: DocTower, February 24, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 11
They were a big side ginny , but why not try keeping it on the floor .  Been going on too long now for our manager to change his style . You know and I know the first name on the team sheet is going to be LJL.

Also listening to Hurst now , Lenny was great .
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from BIGChris
We have made a habit in failing to break down a 10 man defence at BP BUT this wasn't one of those!!

Despite not being on top of our game we created enough chances to have run out winners by 5/6/7 . The fact we didn't was down to some shocking finishing. LJL has had by full support this season but today he was worse than poor. Not just for missing clear chances but his touch, control, movement were all well below standard.

Let's face it we totally dominated the game but they were very poor and you could see why they are bottom of the league, however at 1-0 no games is secure.

Mackreth all of a sudden seems to have discovered his pace than we saw against us in previous seasons, Toto was the dominant one IMO out of our central defence, Robertson had a good game. Including a good pass for Arnold's goal. Arnold's touch is the best in the squad and he was a threat throughout but he missed a golden chance in the first half.

Magnay got the sponsors man of the match once again although I thought his distribution was not up to his high standard.

Why are we so uninspiring at BP? I agree with many that away games are far more entertaining and enjoyable. I feel sorry for those who can only get to home games because in isolation we are shockingly ineffective.

Bottom line is a win is a win. Get another 3 pts on Saturday and keep taking it a game at a time

Good summary and one i should have written but couldn't muster the enthusiasm for some reason.
Posted by: gary_elton, February 24, 2015, 10:30pm; Reply: 13
Listening to the commentary we shud have won comfortable by at least 3 or 4 goals... but whereas we
used to blow points in games like this , we're now winning  , and if winning ugly happens , I'll take it.... just to get out
of this crap league... sorry for those that pay to watch it tho... must be very frustrating... and sad to say it I know,
but I'll take 3 points the same way on Saturday if necessary...

UTM !!!!
Posted by: barralad, February 24, 2015, 10:31pm; Reply: 14
I'm a big fan of Lenny's but tonight was a car crash of a performance in the art of finishing (or for that matter selecting the right choice.) The one in the first half where he shot wildly from a difficult angle as opposed to rolling it across the goal to I think Jolley or Mackreth was absolutely shocking. Having said that I don't see how anyone could fault his effort, it was just wasted effort.
Macca managed to give us all a scare chasing a ball across the box he didn't need to and going down in a heap.
The back four were solid all night (I cannot Telford forcing Macca into a save). Some useful game time for Brown.
MOM Arnold for me. Not just for the excellent finish with the outside of his boot for the goal but for a non-stop running display although in a shot shy first half he was guilty of not shooting after leaving at least three Telford players in his wake.
Mackreth realised after about 30 minutes that he would be able to get round their left back but still didn't deliver enough decent balls in for my liking. Jolley relatively quiet as was Pitman when he came on.
Telford were comfortably the worst side I've seen at B.P. this season...
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 24, 2015, 10:33pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from barralad
I'm a big fan of Lenny's but tonight was a car crash of a performance in the art of finishing (or for that matter selecting the right choice.) The one in the first half where he shot wildly from a difficult angle as opposed to rolling it across the goal to I think Jolley or Mackreth was absolutely shocking. Having said that I don't see how anyone could fault his effort, it was just wasted effort.
Macca managed to give us all a scare chasing a ball across the box he didn't need to and going down in a heap.
The back four were solid all night (I cannot Telford forcing Macca into a save). Some useful game time for Brown.
MOM Arnold for me. Not just for the excellent finish with the outside of his boot for the goal but for a non-stop running display although in a shot shy first half he was guilty of not shooting after leaving at least three Telford players in his wake.
Mackreth realised after about 30 minutes that he would be able to get round their left back but still didn't deliver enough decent balls in for my liking. Jolley relatively quiet as was Pitman when he came on.

Did you not go to the Alfreton game Barra?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 24, 2015, 10:36pm; Reply: 16
Toto was good tonight.

I'm a massive fan of the shop, but tonight was scary, good touch, good turn, but my God he misses alot of chances.

Job done, nothing more, nothing less.

Arnold motm for me, played very well again, he certainly showing what he is capable off, imo, a better nielson, brave words, but I believe he is
Posted by: moosey_club, February 24, 2015, 10:39pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad

Ever.

Truly shocking ...no wonder only 8(?) supporters bothered coming.
Posted by: EY Mariner, February 24, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 18
It's not how, folks. It's how many. Big win. Onto Saturday. Still right in the mix.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 24, 2015, 10:42pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

Ever.

We counted 13
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 24, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from moosey_club

Ever.

I counted 9. About the same number as Lenny had chances.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from moosey_club

Ever.

RH said there were 6 and the Stewards gave them all a cup of tea. Think that good publicity they got has gone to their heads.  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, February 24, 2015, 10:58pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from BIGChris

We counted 13

Specsavers for you......i suspected it following your criticism of a rather natty jacket a couple of weeks ago but this confirms it  ;)
Posted by: Garth, February 24, 2015, 11:05pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

IMO Lennie looked jaded tonight after a battle Saturday with the two Barnet centre backs and would benefit from a rest this Saturday, problem is PH is putting his name down first on the team sheet and for this he is not being fair to the lad, the position he plays in as a target for hoof ball means he is the hardest worker on the field and its taking its toll.
Put him on the bench for Saturdays game, we`ve got other options.
As far as the game went it was as I expected a tight one goal win in an after the Lord Mayors show performance but a win is a win UTM
Posted by: oldun, February 24, 2015, 11:17pm; Reply: 24
As others have said for the most part it was one way traffic but we failed with the final ball or to take our chances when they came along. We played some great approach play during the first half and should have had a comfortable lead at half time. Thankfully we scored a very good goal early in the second half and I expected us to go on and get a couple more but again when the chances came we were wasteful. In fact after our goal they did get firward more and it got a bit jittery as one mistake or free kick could seen them nick one. Thankfully that did not happen and we have 3 more points in the bag. I have to mention Lenny for whom nothing much went right. He seemed desperate to get a goal but failed with the chances he had. He seems to want to smash every shot he gets, there were times when more composed striker would have rolled it in or skipped round the keeper. He also took shots when team mates were in better positions. Not one of his best nights. Still like him though. On to Sat now.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 24, 2015, 11:18pm; Reply: 25
To be fair Lenny missed a few, but I can't criticise him for lack of effort
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 24, 2015, 11:25pm; Reply: 26
Lenny had a poor night in front of goal and should have had at least three but for me he was streets ahead of the really disappointing Jolley, hopefully Pittman or Palmer will be fit enough to start with Lenny on Saturday. That was the most one sided 1-0 win I've ever seen.
Posted by: Grimal, February 24, 2015, 11:26pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from moosey_club

Specsavers for you......i suspected it following your criticism of a rather natty jacket a couple of weeks ago but this confirms it  ;)

Moosey, can you catch up mate, you need another " W "  on the chaser.  ;)

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 24, 2015, 11:34pm; Reply: 28
The longer the game dragged on, the more clumsy we got, and the game just lost any flow that we had, I thought Arnold had a great game.

We should of won at least 4-0, they looked like a team at the bottom.

Who did the effort that clipped the bar, was that Shop? Unlucky as it was a good shot whoever that was.
Posted by: Maringer, February 24, 2015, 11:42pm; Reply: 29
As others have noted, LJL didn't have a good game (and his link-up play was extremely poor), but accusing him of a lack of effort is just ridiculous. Ran and worked his socks off again and was (unfortunately) doing the work of 2 most of the time as Jolley was again disappointing. That said, he had 3 one-on-ones and should have scored one of them at the very least. The effort he toe-ended over the bar was only a half-chance from my viewpoint as he was absolutely at full stretch. I reckon Hurst would have taken him off with 20 or so minutes to go had we been a few goals up but, cautious manager that he is, didn't want to risk losing his workrate when the game wasn't safe.

My main problem with tonight was that we so badly failed to put an extremely poor Telford team to bed. I thought we played pretty decent stuff in attack at times in the first half though the final ball often left a lot to be desired and our failure to shoot in good positions was maddening. After Arnold's well-taken goal early in the second half, we just looked utterly clueless in attack way too often with pretty much every player making really poor decisions or terrible passes. The fact that we still had a few good chances after that despite playing so poorly said a lot about Telford's lack of quality. Our crossing in particular was just awful. I think the two best crosses we managed all night came from Robertson, the first for Arnold's goal and the second for the one LJL toe-ended over. We need to see better crossing than this from our attacking players when in such good positions.

Incidentally, anyone else think we were much worse after Clay went off for Brown? The game just seemed to pass Brown by and he seems a long, long way from the player who started the season looking so sharp.
Posted by: chaos33, February 25, 2015, 12:20am; Reply: 30
Quoted from BIGChris

Good summary, agree with most of that.

I thought we played some good football at times, but didn't make enough use of diagonal balls to defeat their straight lines, and think we badly lack quickness of movement in our strikers, and better decision making and finishing composure generally. Most had decent games. I'd pick out Toto, Pearson and Robertson, and thought Jolley and Arnold looked dangerous, as did Mackreth, albeit with little decent end product. Disley had a good, straightforward sort of a game too.

I tought Hurst substituted the wrong striker and showed his favouratism of LJL to be a weakness in his approach. Luckily they were too poor to actually make a chance so I never (for once) thought we would throw it away at 1-0, but think we let ourselves down a little but in not capitalising on at least one or two of the other half dozen good openings we created. Pleased with 3 points and that's the main thing. People saying it was the worst, or one of the worst games they had ever seen, or that they thought Town were awful obviously haven't watched enough Town games, or football generally. We totaly controlled the game and won very comfortably, despite the scoreline.

BP was as quiet as a disused cold war bunker.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 25, 2015, 1:05am; Reply: 31
I think the question was asked in another thread after the Barnet game, "where are we now" back to square one for me, I know we won but that was a pitiful performance.

Not sure if I watched a difference match to some and I know he scored the goal but I thought Arnold was very poor, kept giving the ball away, mind you he wasn't the only one, LJL, Jolley and Mackreth were just as poor.

Christ Telford were shite.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 25, 2015, 3:52am; Reply: 32
Lennie as a massive workload and they know his game but I wish he could calm down a bit in front of goal, the one he blazed over the bar in the first half from a tight angle, if he had just squared it two players were in position for a easy tap in. I hope Ollie is fit for Saturday we need a extra target up front to either play along side Lennie or with someone else up front. It must be so frustrating to the other strikers on the bench to see so many chances wasted.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 25, 2015, 7:43am; Reply: 33
Now if paul picks lenny on saturday it shows to me he aint got the balls or brains to make proper decisions.

Anyone with half a brain cell can see he needs to be given some time out , I mean lets be totally honest the lad is missing chance after chance.

We know he struggles with his finishing but its a bit silly now.

Time to show you are a manager that can make the right decisions paul at the right time.
Posted by: the driver, February 25, 2015, 7:49am; Reply: 34
Totally agree with most of the comments on the game thought Clay had a superb game wrong decision to bring on Brown unless Clay had a knock due to some very hard tackles in the first half he is allways available wants the ball a couple of poor passes but most of the game played well ,Jolley a improvement on the last home match still a lot to do as other posters have said a win is a win is a win
Posted by: DocTower, February 25, 2015, 7:49am; Reply: 35
After a nights sleep I have had time to think about last night . The home crowd was low considering Saturdays exploits , the performance proved the stay away fans right .  Home game syndrome . Regarding Lenny ,  ever present , first name on the team sheet , hard worker , footballing brain no .  Just how many partners has he had that have been dropped for failing to deliver . It appears to me  other forwards and strikers just can't  play with him with no understanding of what he's going to do, but Hurst is so stubborn or fails to notice this . Ok he has a few goals the majority were fortunate they hit him  , his misses have cost us and will this season . Nice chap , frustrating to watch , heart in the right place .  Midfield  muscle would be my position fir him .
Posted by: Maringer, February 25, 2015, 8:18am; Reply: 36
Oh, come on. That's just a ridiculous claim. He's scored 13 lucky goals this season and the failings of the other strikers are all his fault? That's just daft. If you believe the (dodgy IMO) stats on the OS, he's got 4 assists as well as his goals (I think there have are actually been several more than just 4 assists) so that's at least 17 goals he's been involved closely in this season.

He's certainly got a monkey on his back at the moment and looks to be trying too hard when he gets into the position for his chances, but don't forget that most of these chances only came because of his own running and movement last night. On the other hand, I reckon his link-up play has been worse than usual of late, perhaps because he's thinking about his barren spell instead of just playing the game. Instead of having that effort over the bar at the near post in the first half, he should certainly have crossed for Jolley. Poor decision-making there.

Could Lennie do with a rest? Perhaps so, but I'm not sure which of our other strikers can match all of his attributes so I don't think Hurst will risk dropping him. Pittman can perhaps do some of the physical stuff that we expect from LJL, but he's not got as much bulk in comparison and I don't think he's at his best leading the line. Palmer can lead the line but doesn't have the same pace. Jolley has the pace but is looking very lightweight. Hannah has no pace or strength in comparison. Hopefully, Palmer will return to fitness soon to give us other options but I can't see any way LJL will be dropped in the interim. Rightly so, in my opinion.

Still, it's nice to have a few strikers available to choose from, something we've been badly lacking for most of the season.

On another note, how on Earth have Telford scored 46 goals this season? That's just 2 fewer than top of the table Bristol Rovers but they looked utterly toothless up front all the way through the game! Bizarre.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 25, 2015, 8:48am; Reply: 37
Well think most areas have been covered in the respective posts and I agree that Telford were woeful but thought the game was the perfect example of why we struggle at home. In general our build play is slow and lethargic giving teams time to regroup and get back in position, then on the few occasions we break quickly, McKreth in the second half more than once(why not use this speed more often)we are too slow to get the required support up front.

Threaded passes inside the full back are a rarity and for me Jolley looks a little lost and indecisive when he gets the ball and he & LJL do not look comfortable as a partnership. LJL as others have said had a woeful night in all fronts which again takes us back as to why Hurst did not use Watson and Pittman after say an hour to try and influence the game. Not a big LJL fan but even so the guy is allowed a shocker but when he does have one take him off like you would any other player, think PH's attitude in this respect turns the crowd on LJL more than is necessary.

Happy we got 3 points but yearn for those classic Tuesday night matches of yesteryear!!!
Posted by: mariner91, February 25, 2015, 9:15am; Reply: 38
Quoted from DocTower
After a nights sleep I have had time to think about last night . The home crowd was low considering Saturdays exploits , the performance proved the stay away fans right .  Home game syndrome . Regarding Lenny ,  ever present , first name on the team sheet , hard worker , footballing brain no .  Just how many partners has he had that have been dropped for failing to deliver . It appears to me  other forwards and strikers just can't  play with him with no understanding of what he's going to do, but Hurst is so stubborn or fails to notice this . Ok he has a few goals the majority were fortunate they hit him  , his misses have cost us and will this season . Nice chap , frustrating to watch , heart in the right place .  Midfield  muscle would be my position fir him .

You claim he has no football brain then suggest getting him to play a completely alien position which is in no way similar to the positions he has previously played. Couldn't make it up.
Posted by: DocTower, February 25, 2015, 9:41am; Reply: 39
Quoted from mariner91

You claim he has no football brain then suggest getting him to play a completely alien position which is in no way similar to the positions he has previously played. Couldn't make it up.

Wow , obvious by you comments your in love with Lenny .  No I said the muscle in midfield , win the ball , that's all . Hurst won't drop him . Too late in the season to change things anyway .  Read other comments regarding strike partners the reoccurring  message is no understanding .  Been watching town for over 55 years now , the ever present observation is if someone doesn't deliver , change  it . These home performances especially this season haven't  been inspiring,  lack of atmosphere hence the relatively  low crowd .
I turn up , I pay for my ticket ,  I watch as you do . We can make true observation not like the ones who read the newspaper and know all about it . Will there with you next home game , you never know , watching a  fest .
Posted by: Garth, February 25, 2015, 9:49am; Reply: 40
As I`ve said earlier Lennie needs a rest for at least one match, and if I was manager I would bench him Saturday and play Hamish from the start to see what he can do,  never mind sending him out on loan at this critical time of the season without giving him at least sixty minutes to prove whether or not theres a player there somewhere
Posted by: sausage rolls, February 25, 2015, 10:10am; Reply: 41
Moved house and season ticket in box at storage company. I've not been bothered to try and retireve it. Having to pay to see a game where I have already paid (for a season ticket) x 3 before they will reprint my ticket means I will probably miss the rest of the home games this season.
My point is though, that I'm not really bothered. I can count on one hand the amount of home games this season where I have felt like I received my moneys worth for the entertainment on offer (can the way we play at home be called entertainment? - Not very often in my opinion). It sounds like I was right to not pay to see last nights game (for the second time).
Posted by: mariner91, February 25, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 42
Quoted from DocTower

Wow , obvious by you comments your in love with Lenny .  No I said the muscle in midfield , win the ball , that's all . Hurst won't drop him . Too late in the season to change things anyway .  Read other comments regarding strike partners the reoccurring  message is no understanding .  Been watching town for over 55 years now , the ever present observation is if someone doesn't deliver , change  it . These home performances especially this season haven't  been inspiring,  lack of atmosphere hence the relatively  low crowd .
I turn up , I pay for my ticket ,  I watch as you do . We can make true observation not like the ones who read the newspaper and know all about it . Will there with you next home game , you never know , watching a  fest .

Far from being in love with him, I find him extremely frustrating. He is good athletically, has a terrific attitude and work rate and generally his hold up play is fairly good. But his inability to finish easy chances is infuriating. But even being the muscle in midfield is a completely different proposition to playing as a target man. I've no doubt he would have the physical attributes to do it. However, he would have to change the way he reads the game, change his instincts in what to do in certain situations, change the way he receives the ball as you don't want your midfield player with his back to goal! Everything would be completely different. Players with a football brain are generally more adaptable and versatile. My point was you said he had no football brain then suggested changing his position entirely. If he lacks a football brain (in your opinion) in his favoured position how do you think he'd fare any better in an alien position where he hasn't any experience?
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 25, 2015, 12:11pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Marinerz93
Enough chances to win two games according to JT.

We could have scored 2 goals then mate. ;D
Posted by: Maringer, February 25, 2015, 12:15pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from grimsby pete

We could have scored 2 goals then mate. ;D

Heh. Just gave you a tick to take you up to the 2,000 mark!  :)
Posted by: Maringer, February 25, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Maringer

Heh. Just gave you a tick to take you up to the 2,000 mark!  :)

And now, a couple of bell-ends have marked you down again!  ;D
Posted by: DocTower, February 25, 2015, 2:35pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from mariner91

My point was you said he had no football brain then suggested changing his position entirely. If he lacks a football brain (in your opinion) in his favoured position how do you think he'd fare any better in an alien position where he hasn't any experience?

His favoured position isn't  his strongest asset ,  how many times do we have players in the words of our manager  , square  pegs in round holes  Paul Groves , forward , converted to one of the best midfielders we have ever had . Alan Smith forward converted to midfield , plus others. As I said too late to change now ,  end of the season who knows who we will still have on the books . All hypothetical  though . Do you think on last night's performance  we missed  an extra Arnold type , tricky dribbler to try to break  through the stubborn  defence .
Posted by: Abdul19, February 25, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 47
Alan Smith was a shit forward and an even worse midfielder ;)
Posted by: mariner91, February 25, 2015, 3:48pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from DocTower

His favoured position isn't  his strongest asset ,  how many times do we have players in the words of our manager  , square  pegs in round holes  Paul Groves , forward , converted to one of the best midfielders we have ever had . Alan Smith forward converted to midfield , plus others. As I said too late to change now ,  end of the season who knows who we will still have on the books . All hypothetical  though . Do you think on last night's performance  we missed  an extra Arnold type , tricky dribbler to try to break  through the stubborn  defence .

You can't say that with any conviction or proof. He has played up front all his career, if any of the professional coaches or managers saw the attributes that make a good midfielder in him then I'm sure it would have been tried by now.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 25, 2015, 3:52pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

You can't say that with any conviction or proof. He has played up front all his career, if any of the professional coaches or managers saw the attributes that make a good midfielder in him then I'm sure it would have been tried by now.

Wasn't he played on the right wing at bury and when he first played for us....just seem to remember that for some reason
Posted by: mariner91, February 25, 2015, 4:35pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from ackomariner

Wasn't he played on the right wing at bury and when he first played for us....just seem to remember that for some reason

Maybe I don't remember that far back. Besides, that is still a world away from being the "muscle" in midfield.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), February 25, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 51
WOW , I hadnt noticed that LJL  is not up to scratch, this is shocking news, time for a change perhaps?. We might then win 3 points easily rather than hoping the opposition dont score, draw level or actually win as i believe has happened on 5 occasions this term. We bring men in then not use them WHY? What did we see in them to bring them to BP? :-/
Posted by: JMT, February 25, 2015, 5:07pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from ackomariner

Played left wing for Lincoln, Played striker at Bury at first, then moved to the right wing, then arrived here as a winger i assume.
Posted by: Maringer, February 25, 2015, 5:16pm; Reply: 53
I seem to think that he certainly started as a right sided player for a few games with us. Was it when we were trying to play a 4-3-3? Looking at soccerbase, for his first half-dozen appearances, he mostly came on as a sub but always played alongside Cook. I do vaguely remember being disappointed that those two couldn't get it working together very well because Cook wasn't really a target man though we stuck him in that role most of the time. He then started ahead of Cook a couple of times before generally dropping back to the bench for sub appearances.
Posted by: blundellpork, February 25, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 54
Paul Hurst's absolute blind faith in Lenny will ultimately cost him his job. There are far too many times such as last night when nothing was going for him and he should have been substituted, but Hurst refuses to do so. There have been too many games where Lenny has missed sitter's/ really good chances that other players would have scored. I get the argument about how hard he works etc, but it still comes down to goals. Hurst's interview on Humberside last night was laughable.

There is certainly a place for him in the squad, but we all know that he is the first name on the teamsheet and Hurst can see no wrong.

Porky
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, February 25, 2015, 8:18pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from BIGChris

We counted 13

Official number was 6 fans, the rest where members of the squad who did not g.et picked for the team who decided to sit with their fans
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 26, 2015, 7:31am; Reply: 56
Out of interest does anybody know the lowest ever attendance from away fans at Blundell Park (league games) I have never known just 6 away fans attend before.. is this the lowest?
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 26, 2015, 9:16am; Reply: 57
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Out of interest does anybody know the lowest ever attendance from away fans at Blundell Park (league games) I have never known just 6 away fans attend before.. is this the lowest?

In recent times it is Chris. I think the previous lowest was the 11 brought by Eastbourne and a couple of other teams whilst we've been down here.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 26, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 58
Thanks Les, I thought you would know.  ;)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, February 26, 2015, 9:53am; Reply: 59
Quoted from mariner91

I believe he was predominantly a winger prior to joining us. Just saying.

I agree with most of the other stuff you day in this thread.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 26, 2015, 12:58pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Les Brechin

In recent times it is Chris. I think the previous lowest was the 11 brought by Eastbourne and a couple of other teams whilst we've been down here.

Didn't Gateshead have just four fans a few years back....or am I just imagining that?  ::)
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 26, 2015, 1:16pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Didn't Gateshead have just four fans a few years back....or am I just imagining that?  ::)

I think the lowest Gateshead have ever brought was 12.

This was definitely our first single figure away following in recent years.
Posted by: biggles9999, February 26, 2015, 1:31pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from cmackenzie4

How many did Wimbledon bring in our last Championship season?

Think it was a Tuesday night (second game of the season) and they had some cardboard cut outs with them to swell the numbers.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 26, 2015, 1:44pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from biggles9999

How many did Wimbledon bring in our last Championship season?

Think it was a Tuesday night (second game of the season) and they had some cardboard cut outs with them to swell the numbers.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that it was 13 or 23. I remember that the Sun did an article later in the week where they listed each individual. I think 2 were groundhoppers and 1 bloke was just in the area on business and wanted to watch a game of football.

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 26, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 64
the lack of away fans is the main reason we dont have a great atmosphere, and also the reason i want out of this sh!t league
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:09am