Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a shambles !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 116 Guests

What a shambles !

This thread currently has 9,675 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Trawler
November 30, 2014, 9:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

How do you judge loyalty? It is not the same as stupidity. I have, until the Southport game, been attending for 50 years and as such have taken the rough with the smooth. But in all those years I have never been so bored as I have watching town under PH. I can count the entertaining matches on one hand. If he, by these tactics, succeeds and gets us promoted he will have been proved right in his approach. I do not believe he will, but hope he proves me wrong, but either way my season ticket will not be used again whilst he is in charge. That may be disloyal but its that or lose my sanity watching his inept tactics cost countless home points.

As Ginny said in a post earlier this week his attitude to the fans and his tactical approach mean every "average" performance brings heaps of criticism which I accept is not always deserved on that sole performance but is in reality the fans expressing their frustration on 18 months plus of watching very sverage football.

If you're not using your season ticket how about letting some of the less fortunate on here use it. There are plenty of diehard fans here and elsewhere who would go week in week out if only they could afford it.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
barralad
November 30, 2014, 9:34am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

To draw away against the bottom club in the league is an awful result. It is no good getting the ball down and playing and having the edge if you throw away 2 points like yesterday and Altrincham. It would surely have dawned on PH or any other manager in that situation that either a) his tactics need to change so that a goalscorer can be played in the same side as LJL or b) if he wants to keep the same tactics he needs to replace LJL with a better finisher.

It would help if PH was honest with fans for once and admitted that his 4-3-3 really is 4-5-1. Packing the midfield does indeed allow Town to get the ball down and play but it removes a cutting edge up front. If they fail to get an early goal it gets harder and harder for that one striker to operate and for midfielders to make supporting runs as the game goes on and the pressure is on the defence. If they do get a goal early on the temptation is to sit even further back and leave the striker completely isolated.

Actually I do like 4-3-3 because it can be the most deadly and attractive system. The best I personally saw it played was the Everton side of the late 1960s with Ball, Kendall and Harvey but it does depend very much on having some 90 minute human dynamos in midfield and at this level .......?

No doubt I will be reminded how many LJL has scored but if he is going to be the one and only striker left up on his own for long periods, he is going to have to score an awful lot more.

Well it definitely wasn't 4-5-1 yesterday more 4-4-2. The last game we won 3-1 playing the same formation. There was no "isolation of the striker" yesterday. We created three very good chances in the first 15 minutes. Those chances were created by some excellent interplay between LJL and Pittman. Hannah and LJL after the substitutions presented nothing like the threat. Pittman and LJL will see us OK I'm convinced of that-providing of course the latter can stay fit.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
friskneymariner
November 30, 2014, 9:34am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
It not just about the result,its about the same thing that keeps occurring match after match,i.e failing to win games we should have,that is eventually going to be Hurst's downfall.
He fails (or is too obdurate) to address the problem that our strikers are just not good enough.

This has been apparent from the beginning of the season and he has repeatedly failed to address it.This is what fans are frustrated with.Saying that I have been supporting Town for fifty years and I would not dream of not going to a home match.
I will still be supporting Town long after Hurst is a distant memory,but I fear his stubbornness in not addressing the problems, which are apparent to a 12 year old will result in us missing out on promotion for another year. Surely this must be obvious to the pro-Hurst brigade.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
grimsby pete
November 30, 2014, 10:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I think Hurst has convinced a few fans that we are 2nd in the league,

Our true position will appear in the next two weeks when the teams around us play their games in hand,

We will be 5th if the other teams get the points they should,

That is about our true position,

We will end the season about 5th or 6th imo,

Unless either we sign that striker who will turn our draws into wins,

Or Hamish is that man we have been looking for all season,

I hope Hamish is that man because if he is not,

I can not see us finding the striker we badly need,

Fenty will not sack Hurst until the end of the season,(if we fail again in the play offs )

So until then he has my full support as do the players,

He went with 4-4-2 yesterday but he did not get us the goals we needed,

I hope he sticks with it because we have a better chance of winning theses type of games than reverting back to the 4-5-1 formation,

Christmas time will give us a true idea of what we have got to look forward to for the rest of the season,

Macclesfield twice and Lincoln at home will be very important games for us,

Then we have Barnet twice in just over a month,

So we have lots to look forward to,

Lets hope after all those games Hurst can say,

" The last time I looked, we were 2nd in the league "

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 30, 2014, 10:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Well it definitely wasn't 4-5-1 yesterday more 4-4-2. The last game we won 3-1 playing the same formation. There was no "isolation of the striker" yesterday. We created three very good chances in the first 15 minutes. Those chances were created by some excellent interplay between LJL and Pittman. Hannah and LJL after the substitutions presented nothing like the threat. Pittman and LJL will see us OK I'm convinced of that-providing of course the latter can stay fit.

I quite accept that Barra. I'm not saying Hannah (or Pittman) is the answer. The problem is not that we created 3 good early chances but that we didn't take any of them. The same applied against several other teams including Woking. Once we fail to get that lead (or even if we get a 1 goal lead) we fade and sink backwards leaving LJL on his own up there. It's a repeated pattern isn't it? In the end we won 3-1 because Woking gifted two chances one of which my granny could have scored and she's been dead for years. Earlier chances that could have made it an easy stroll were spurned as has been the case in far too many games.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
cardiffmariner
November 30, 2014, 10:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,314
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

Slade divided fans in the same way. That was the last time i voluntarily missed a few games because of the football on show.

Both are nearly men

I take your point ginny  but a bit harsh to describe Slade as a nearly man when you look at who he has manged and at what level. Particularly when you consider where he is now. IMHO hurst will never have the ability to manage outside of this division.

I still struggle to understand why Slade played such uninspiring football with us yet has gone to produce entertaining and relatively successful teams elsewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 30, 2014, 11:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from cardiffmariner

I take your point ginny  but a bit harsh to describe Slade as a nearly man when you look at who he has manged and at what level. Particularly when you consider where he is now. IMHO hurst will never have the ability to manage outside of this division.

I still struggle to understand why Slade played such uninspiring football with us yet has gone to produce entertaining and relatively successful teams elsewhere.

Slade was/is an intelligent manager. His first season had some really good football in it but it got nowhere so he changed the style to what he thought would get the team out of the division. It very nearly did, didn't it? Slade is like Dave Penney who took Doncaster out of the Conference and into League 1. He brought in the biggest cloggers he could find to start with and they kicked their way out of the Conference but then he changed the style and the players to suit League 2.

Would I approve? The footballer in me says NO but the Mariner in me says YES - get us out of this league any way you can.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
moosey_club
November 30, 2014, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Slades football was entertaining IMO, all helped by having quality strikers, 2 banks of four, very solid and hardworking, a little flair in places but proper, real pace up top, its a blue print used by teams at the top level. When we broke the crowd got excited cos we knew what was coming.
Break now and we have Neilson largely running into dead ends, Makreth trying to go outside and getting eased out of it, Hannah offside, LJL fluffing....i only feel slighty confident when its the Pope breaking through and even he fluffed yesterday.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
louth_in_the_south
November 30, 2014, 1:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
I'm not a PH fan and I'd be interested to know which of his managers as a player was the biggest influence on him as this could answer a few questions , but he can't be responsible for players missing sitters yesterday that would've put the game to bed before they scored .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
November 30, 2014, 2:56pm
Guest User
would we have Buckley back, would he come back?? I just wonder what he could do with this squad of players??? Has he been asked for  his help or views ?  on the radio he seems to say what the fans are seeing and saying!!!!! i am not saying bring him back again, but i would use his experience.
Reply: 59 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a shambles !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.