Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a shambles !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 326 Guests

What a shambles !

This thread currently has 9,682 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
GorgeousGeorge
November 30, 2014, 12:03am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Quoted from vuvuzela_hater
I go to every game, home and away.  and all I can see is that we're second in the league.  Better prospects than the last few years.  time will tell how long we're in the mickey mouse cup for, but I think that will be the make or break.  Yes, hurst is negative, but I also believe his philosophy of 'win the home games, don't lose the away games, and you'll win the league'.  My opinion is PH has got it wrong with LJL, but they've built the team around him, and there's no turning back now.   From what I've seen, we play attractive football, but with no end product.  All it takes is a bit of a confidence boost with a couple of players and we'll be flying.  We are second in the league and according to most, we're playing excrement!  not a bad position to be in imho.    we're on the up.   keep the faith.   UTM

You go to every game home and away, 'from what I've seen we play attractive football'.

Are you being serious?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
vuvuzela_hater
November 30, 2014, 8:04am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +46
I am quite new to watching town play regularly, so can't compare these few games to past seasons but I think we're playing decent stuff for this level.  We get the ball down and play (mostly) and seem to have the edge over most teams.  Were not poor defensively, if their player yesterday hadn't belted the ball from 30 yards yesterday, then we would all be singing from a different hymn sheet today.  I just think our fans are fickle.  5 games ago people wanted PH out,  we win a few and he's the f-ing messiah,  we DRAW away and he's the most useless manager to come here since Nicky Law.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
jimgtfc
November 30, 2014, 8:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jonnyboy82

well if it does happen then LJL is welcome to insert the bratwurst as that means i have a chance of him missing the target hole.

You get 7 in a jar, so by your logic he'd get one in  

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
barralad
November 30, 2014, 8:08am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from jimgtfc

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
ackomariner
November 30, 2014, 8:12am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
I am quite new to watching town play regularly, so can't compare these few games to past seasons but I think we're playing decent stuff for this level.  We get the ball down and play (mostly) and seem to have the edge over most teams.  Were not poor defensively, if their player yesterday hadn't belted the ball from 30 yards yesterday, then we would all be singing from a different hymn sheet today.  I just think our fans are fickle.  5 games ago people wanted PH out,  we win a few and he's the f-ing messiah,  we DRAW away and he's the most useless manager to come here since Nicky Law.  

You watch different games to me then tbh....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
cardiffmariner
November 30, 2014, 8:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,314
Gold Stars: 24

"win a few and he's the messiah" - simply not true. One thing that is absolutely clear is that most people's view of hurst is now deeply ingrained and is not altered by a few results. Whether they be good or bad. I'm trying hard to remember a manager who has split the fans in this way and I've been supporting town for 30 odd years. Slade, perhaps.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
jonnyboy82
November 30, 2014, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from jimgtfc

incorrect.

if you get 7 in a jar by my logic that means he wouldnt get one in unless he opened a second jar and im afraid there was no mention of a second jar.

unlucky.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
ackomariner
November 30, 2014, 8:39am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from cardiffmariner

"win a few and he's the messiah" - simply not true. One thing that is absolutely clear is that most people's view of hurst is now deeply ingrained and is not altered by a few good results. Whether they be good or bad. I'm trying hard to remember a manager who has split the fans in this way and I've been supporting town for 30 odd years. Slade, perhaps.

This

Sad but true....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 86
ginnywings
November 30, 2014, 8:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from cardiffmariner

"win a few and he's the messiah" - simply not true. One thing that is absolutely clear is that most people's view of hurst is now deeply ingrained and is not altered by a few results. Whether they be good or bad. I'm trying hard to remember a manager who has split the fans in this way and I've been supporting town for 30 odd years. Slade, perhaps.

Slade divided fans in the same way. That was the last time i voluntarily missed a few games because of the football on show.

Both are nearly men
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 30, 2014, 9:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

To draw away against the bottom club in the league is an awful result. It is no good getting the ball down and playing and having the edge if you throw away 2 points like yesterday and Altrincham. It would surely have dawned on PH or any other manager in that situation that either a) his tactics need to change so that a goalscorer can be played in the same side as LJL or b) if he wants to keep the same tactics he needs to replace LJL with a better finisher.

It would help if PH was honest with fans for once and admitted that his 4-3-3 really is 4-5-1. Packing the midfield does indeed allow Town to get the ball down and play but it removes a cutting edge up front. If they fail to get an early goal it gets harder and harder for that one striker to operate and for midfielders to make supporting runs as the game goes on and the pressure is on the defence. If they do get a goal early on the temptation is to sit even further back and leave the striker completely isolated.

Actually I do like 4-3-3 because it can be the most deadly and attractive system. The best I personally saw it played was the Everton side of the late 1960s with Ball, Kendall and Harvey but it does depend very much on having some 90 minute human dynamos in midfield and at this level .......?

No doubt I will be reminded how many LJL has scored but if he is going to be the one and only striker left up on his own for long periods, he is going to have to score an awful lot more.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a shambles !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.