11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
November 13, 2014, 10:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Good player, did the crime served his time end of, give the guy a chance to get his life back if its possible, not here though it would break us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 101
GrimRob
November 13, 2014, 10:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Give him five year's hard labour in the Conference North

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 101
davmariner
November 13, 2014, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 75
The 'evidence' against Evans was an utter joke. In fact, the evidence against him was exactly the same as that against our former centre back Clayton Macdonald. For one to be found innocent, the other guilty is ridiculous. The alleged victim was on twitter shortly after the incident claiming she was 'going to win big', she had also cried wolf before. Tons of inconsistencies, IMO it should never have gone to trial, never mind led to a conviction.

I'd welcome his signing but he's well out of our league I'm afraid.

On what basis can you make from that assumption? From what it appears as the court have rules is that she consented to Clayton (who she went back with) and then Ched Evans turns up out of nowhere and thinks he's entitled to do what he wants.

Clearly he's been convicted for a reason and it isn't as straightforward as you are suggesting.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 101
grimsby pete
November 13, 2014, 10:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from davmariner

On what basis can you make from that assumption? From what it appears as the court have rules is that she consented to Clayton (who she went back with) and then Ched Evans turns up out of nowhere and thinks he's entitled to do what he wants.

Clearly he's been convicted for a reason and it isn't as straightforward as you are suggesting.

As far as I know Clayton has always stuck up for Evans and he was there,

Only two people know the truth and they both disagree.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 101
mariner91
November 13, 2014, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from LH
Rape victims live with their ordeal. I would class it as seriously as murder.

The family of the man Lee Hughes killed live with the fact their relative was needlessly killed and that he could potentially have been saved had Hughes reported the accident. I do find it fascinating how the country seems to be much more against Evans returning to football to Hughes. Neither have shown remorse (Hughes is a member, Evans claims innocence still) for their heinous crimes yet unless I'm very much mistaken there wasn't this furor around Hughes playing again. Hughes' selfish, stupid and cowardly actions caused a man to lose his life. It wasn't murder but if he wasn't such a twit the man might have survived so it's not far off, how is Evans' crime worse?

For the record, I wouldn't want either of them at Town. Hughes because he's a terrible human being and Evans because of the media circus surrounding him. Though I do believe he has as much right to resume his career as Hughes has been given.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 101
LH
November 13, 2014, 10:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from mariner91

The family of the man Lee Hughes killed live with the fact their relative was needlessly killed and that he could potentially have been saved had Hughes reported the accident. I do find it fascinating how the country seems to be much more against Evans returning to football to Hughes. Neither have shown remorse (Hughes is a member, Evans claims innocence still) for their heinous crimes yet unless I'm very much mistaken there wasn't this furor around Hughes playing again. Hughes' selfish, stupid and cowardly actions caused a man to lose his life. It wasn't murder but if he wasn't such a twit the man might have survived so it's not far off, how is Evans' crime worse?

For the record, I wouldn't want either of them at Town. Hughes because he's a terrible human being and Evans because of the media circus surrounding him. Though I do believe he has as much right to resume his career as Hughes has been given.

I wasn't disagreeing. Two crimes as serious as each other with as many victims and consequences. I didn't want to say manslaughter was as serious because it is not a deliberate act hence the different charge. Death by dangerous driving can be ambiguous too as you could drive 1,000,000 miles in your lifetime as safe as when you pass your test and make a huge error of judgment and land in jail. Obviously there is a difference once there is alcohol/drugs involved.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 101
mariner91
November 13, 2014, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from LH

I wasn't disagreeing. Two crimes as serious as each other with as many victims and consequences. I didn't want to say manslaughter was as serious because it is not a deliberate act hence the different charge. Death by dangerous driving can be ambiguous too as you could drive 1,000,000 miles in your lifetime as safe as when you pass your test and make a huge error of judgment and land in jail. Obviously there is a difference once there is alcohol/drugs involved.

Fair enough. I accept that death by dangerous driving has a broad spectrum of ambiguity, I have a friend who served time for death by dangerous driving. He wasn't a particularly bad driver normally but cut a corner at speed because he was in a rush and killed someone. He felt dreadful about it, apologised to the family of the victim at his trial, pleaded guilty and served his time. But in the case of Hughes, he fled the scene most probably to escape a breath test (though this can't be proven) as he had previously been in trouble for this. So not only was he criminally negligible with his driving (bad enough on it's own) but he let another man die rather than face the consequences of his actions and potentially lose his licence. Absolute scumbag. Which is why I find it so fascinating that people are okay with him coming back but not Evans. A lot of the arguments against Evans are that he'd be a role model and I agree you wouldn't want your child idolising a convicted rapist. But I certainly wouldn't want a child of mine idolising a man who let another man die because he'd rather save his own skin and then shows no remorse for his actions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 101
MuddyWaters
November 13, 2014, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
It's the nature of Evans conviction that seems to be the issue. I wouldn't welcome him, nor would I welcome Lee Hughes and I certainly don't envy Sheffield United at present, they won't do right whichever way they go. If Ched Evans did a job that had less profile then I'm not sure there would be all this kerfuffle. It's a pretty sad situation on many levels that didn't need the likes of Jess Ennis and Charlie Webster to get involved.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 101
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 13, 2014, 10:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Rape is obviously a terrible terrible crime but having read this

"The trial took place at the Crown Court at Caernarfon in April 2012 before Judge Merfyn Hughes QC and a jury. Evans and McDonald admitted to having sex with the woman, but both denied raping her.[13] Counsel for the prosecution, John Philpotts, stated that the victim, a 19-year-old waitress, was too intoxicated to have consented.[14][15] The court heard that the victim had woken up naked and confused in a double bed with her clothes on the floor and no memory of the incident.[16] Samples taken from the victim at the time showed no alcohol, although the Crown claimed this was due to "elimination".[17] The samples showed traces of cocaine and cannabis, although she denied taking the drugs on the night of the incident.[18] She had drunk two glasses of wine, four double vodkas with lemonade, and a shot of sambuca.[18] As a result, she told police she "felt tipsy but not out of control".[19] The victim claimed to have almost no memory of what happened between leaving a dancing session with friends and waking up the following morning, leading her to believe that her drink had been spiked.[18] The defence stated both men had sex with the woman separately and with her consent, while the prosecution submitted that the pair "targeted" her for sex after she "literally stumbled across their path" and demonstrated herself to be too intoxicated to consent. Two friends of the men were also alleged to have watched and attempted to record the act through a window.[20]"

I feel like the evidence seemed to show that she'd gotten herself into a state where she was completely intoxicated despite saying otherwise, and though it would be wrong for someone to take advantage of that and that would be a crime, I feel like its less of a crime and possibly even a grey area if they had been drinking themselves in a way because if she can be absolved of the responsbility of who she slept with and her lack of judgement why can't they somewhat. I feel like im hashing this but my point is the way the media is treating it and everyone commenting on it like it was a violent crime and it was just what probably happens frequently at clubs every weekend, i've seen girls pushing away men and then kissing them later that night, if they had a better judgement then yeh its a crime but not as serious of a crime as people make out imo seems like a bit of a witch hunt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 101
Meza
November 13, 2014, 10:55pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Im sure they were all under the influence of alcohol and im sure we've  all acted like an idiot when drunk but that doesn't  mean its right if one was to force himself onto someone without consent if that's what happened.  I don't know the full facts but I'm sure it was a stupid mistake that will stay with him for the rest of his life and im sure he won't put himself in that situation again especially whilst he was with someone.  I do think he deserves a second chance especially in something he enjoys and were his talents lie.  Im not sure if he served his full sentence but he did go to jail and as far as im concerned did the/some time.  Paedophiles tend to re-offend im sure Evans will not.  People are making him out to be a monster but the only people who know the answer are those in that room.

Believe it or not someone has just asked the very question on question time.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Would You

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.