This thread currently has 11,408 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
November 13, 2014, 9:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
Lee Hughes definitely doesn't show any remorse for what he did. Ched Evans genuinely thinks he's innocent (hence appeals etc). Different argument for me. I'm not sure I'd want Evans at BP.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 101
Rick12
November 13, 2014, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

That's a pretty massive generalisation though Rick isn't it?
Fair enough but I feel sex with both parties should be used under the right conditions.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 101
tashee69
November 13, 2014, 9:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +955
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LH
Lee Hughes definitely doesn't show any remorse for what he did. Ched Evans genuinely thinks he's innocent (hence appeals etc). Different argument for me. I'm not sure I'd want Evans at BP.

My point is, is that Lee Hughes can do what he did and play football BUT there is this uproar about Ched Evans playing again. While not wanting to make the crime he was found guilty of insignificant, are politicians and sponsors saying that rape is worse than causing somebody's death through severe negligence.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 101
LH
November 13, 2014, 9:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
Rape victims live with their ordeal. I would class it as seriously as murder.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 101
Rick12
November 13, 2014, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from codcheeky

Would any self respecting man, or is that different? as a man i have nothing against women who enjoy sex, you are living in the dark ages with morals learnt from a hypocrit church, if you want this type of society you can go live in a muslim country
Point taken .Like said to Rodley Mariner though the somewhat hardline view comes from the damage Ive seen it cause amongst teenagers.Love needs to be at the centre of ever childs world without it none of us could  thrive.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 101
ex-merseymariner
November 13, 2014, 9:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9

I am glad someone has brought up the Lee Hughes situation as a comparison as this is where I am uneasy about this particular example.  There is some controversy because it is a serious sexual offence, and the dominant view seems to be; Evans shouldn't play professional football ever again.  It is serious. And he has been to jail.

So what is the cut off point; what offence or sentence? What about drink driving?  What about manslaughter? Tony Adams? Patrick Kluivert?

If he doesn't play football, can he coach? Manage? Watch? Commentate? Where do you draw the line?

There have been similar many high profile examples; and unless professional football adopts something like american football (see here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_player_conduct_controversy)
(and maybe they do but nobody is talking about it, so I guess it is disregarded if there is one!), then there'll continue to be confusion and controversy.

My view is that the league should have considered this whilst he was serving his sentence, and tackled the issue for future cases, hoping that there aren't any of this type.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 101
GrimRob
November 13, 2014, 9:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Everyone deserves a second chance. Someone coming out of prison and getting a job and turning their life around is a great example to anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation.Lee Hughes has done it and his was a much more serious crime IMHO.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 101
Codswede
November 13, 2014, 10:00pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
On moral reasons, yes, I believe he's served his time, whether the case was questionable or not, I have faith in the system that he has done his time and can/should be integrated back into society. Footballers (for good reason) do not need a police background check.

On business reasons, no way, just look at the circus that follows him now, the turmoil at Sheffield United, I cannot believe they've taken him back in their doors after he broke the law under their employment, he let his club down by even getting into that situation. They've lost sponsors/fans/patrons... It's just not worth it, and right now, if town expressed interest in him I would be concerned about the negative image it would give the club... In a few years, it may be different, but right now it'd be a PR disaster.

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 101
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 13, 2014, 10:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The question is - how could he play for any club without causing a problem? Even if his appeal succeeds, even if all the sponsors and patrons come back and agree to him playing, he will be the target of supporters from other clubs and possibly opponents on the field.

My advice to him would be to go abroad to play for at least a couple of seasons while the heat dies off.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 101
grimsby pete
November 13, 2014, 10:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

If she was too drunk to speak and Evans took advantage of her then you don't think that constitutes rape? Like you say, the law does.

If you advocate the 'served his time' argument then presumably you'd feel the same if we signed a released paedophile?

No what I said was if she could not speak how could she say yes to Clayton.?

I also said he would not play for us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Would You

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.