MarinerWY
November 14, 2014, 11:35am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Rape is obviously a terrible terrible crime but having read this

"The trial took place at the Crown Court at Caernarfon in April 2012 before Judge Merfyn Hughes QC and a jury. Evans and McDonald admitted to having sex with the woman, but both denied raping her.[13] Counsel for the prosecution, John Philpotts, stated that the victim, a 19-year-old waitress, was too intoxicated to have consented.[14][15] The court heard that the victim had woken up naked and confused in a double bed with her clothes on the floor and no memory of the incident.[16] Samples taken from the victim at the time showed no alcohol, although the Crown claimed this was due to "elimination".[17] The samples showed traces of cocaine and cannabis, although she denied taking the drugs on the night of the incident.[18] She had drunk two glasses of wine, four double vodkas with lemonade, and a shot of sambuca.[18] As a result, she told police she "felt tipsy but not out of control".[19] The victim claimed to have almost no memory of what happened between leaving a dancing session with friends and waking up the following morning, leading her to believe that her drink had been spiked.[18] The defence stated both men had sex with the woman separately and with her consent, while the prosecution submitted that the pair "targeted" her for sex after she "literally stumbled across their path" and demonstrated herself to be too intoxicated to consent. Two friends of the men were also alleged to have watched and attempted to record the act through a window.[20]"

I feel like the evidence seemed to show that she'd gotten herself into a state where she was completely intoxicated despite saying otherwise, and though it would be wrong for someone to take advantage of that and that would be a crime, I feel like its less of a crime and possibly even a grey area if they had been drinking themselves in a way because if she can be absolved of the responsbility of who she slept with and her lack of judgement why can't they somewhat. I feel like im hashing this but my point is the way the media is treating it and everyone commenting on it like it was a violent crime and it was just what probably happens frequently at clubs every weekend, i've seen girls pushing away men and then kissing them later that night, if they had a better judgement then yeh its a crime but not as serious of a crime as people make out imo seems like a bit of a witch hunt

This has been lifted straight off Wikipedia, a site which anyone can edit and contribute to. Given the campaign backing Evans and his supporters, I would not take anything other than actual court transcripts as reliable evidence.

You cannot lift things of Wikipedia, there´s a reason why it´s not accepted as a valid source in the academic world. Not saying it´s all false, I´m saying it´s not reliable enough to know if it is or not.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 101
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 14, 2014, 11:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Codswede
Am I right in understanding that she has never actually made any accusation of rape?

Yeh she initially reported a lost or stolen handbag, she had no memory of anything other than waking up naked there, police must have told her she'd been raped, despite having no memory of it she was the sole witness and only form of evidence, she received a compensation fee afterwards, pretty sure those are the facts, if Evans' crime was that he turned up later to join in then I would agree that it is a crime, but Let's be honest it's quite unlikely a rich footballer with a girlfriend would answer a call from another footballer to go have sex with a completely hammered or unconscious woman, it was proven her drinks hadn't been spiked Aswell after saying she'd drank less than usual, there's got to be more too it in my opinion with the outcome still possibly being a crime or not, but reading the comments of people
Talking about it on Twitter 90% of people haven't got a clue about the case whatsoever and have just heard the word rape when really in my opinion rape should be classed as a forceful act and what they did was take advantage.

Also now people saying there's a problem with misogyny in football which is a joke
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 101
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 14, 2014, 11:48am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

This has been lifted straight off Wikipedia, a site which anyone can edit and contribute to. Given the campaign backing Evans and his supporters, I would not take anything other than actual court transcripts as reliable evidence.

You cannot lift things of Wikipedia, there´s a reason why it´s not accepted as a valid source in the academic world. Not saying it´s all false, I´m saying it´s not reliable enough to know if it is or not.

I read about it from other sources at the time the verdict was made, was just the quickest source to quote from
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 101
MarinerWY
November 14, 2014, 12:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47

I read about it from other sources at the time the verdict was made, was just the quickest source to quote from

The point is I´m not sure it should be quoted as a source, seeing as it is edited and contributed to by anyone who wants to do so. We know there is a well organised campaign in support of Ched Evans, so I really would take a chunk of text from Wikipedia as having no credible value at all.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 101
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 14, 2014, 12:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Fair enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 101
LookBackInAngers
November 14, 2014, 2:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +93
I agree with those that say it would cause too many problems ,so whatever the moral issues and everyone will have their own views on those I think most clubs will steer clear for now. A clubs name should still mean something and be worth protecting even if the media storm wasn't likely to be so negative.Obviously if he overturns the judgement it becomes another issue,he still showed poor decision making.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 101
November 17, 2014, 4:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from psgmariner
The world has changed.

Nobody batted an eyelid when we signed Croft. He did time for driving while disqualified, and perverting the course of justice don't forget. There were a few murmurs when we signed previously jailed Liam Hearn but now it seems unlikely we, or any other club, would sign someone who has been in jail. Not sure whether that's progress or not. I agree that those crimes were very different from Ched's but all had the potential to cause harm and ruin people's lives.

Best post of the whole thread IMO.

How 80's sees it...(not often I get into these questions !)

A lot more is made of "role models" we see on TV every day than many years ago.
Bigger they are, more important they become !
All you need to do is get Question Time up on Iplayer and count how many times the panel say "Role model" (I counted 9 !)

I think good behaviour of staff and players is always very important to every club at every level for many reasons.
And agree sponsors certainly see this as an important factor as it will obviously affect them if it affects their product.

But why are "role models" suddenly a lot more important than they were say 50 years ago (in arguably more "moral" times) ?
Are we really to believe fans didn't have their own heroes or favourite footballers way back in the 30's when crowds were far bigger ?

Instead of worshipping the big TV £ multi-million (sports) celebs, just imagine what would happen if communities had their OWN role models like LOCAL footballers... (ideally Shaun Pearson IMO )

OMG suddenly Beckham's new hair cut isn't pulling in £million pounds profit of sales cos they've all turned off the telly FOLLOWING THEIR OWN LOCAL TEAMS ! (and the GTFC sticker idea looks better every day ! )

I'm not condoning Evans or saying he doesn't deserve to show remorse for anything (tbh I haven't a clue about the case !)

But do think "image" (especially on TV) has a lot more to do with money (and tbf ALL clubs need to attract more money) these days.

As a self confessed "role model" herself, whether Jessica Ennis's image would suffer if Ched Evans returned I don't know but it wouldn't suprise me at all.

So I'm not saying being a role model isn't important or a good example doesn't need to be set.
But I don't buy this "role model" malarkey is primarily based on "morals" when there are those who have (partly/fully) paid their due to society and perhaps deserve a 2nd chance..

And tbh, I'm unsure whether Nick Clegg has upstanding moral virtues similar to those of a saint either after student tuition fees.
If the same thing happens to a player at Sheffield FC next week will we see him again on the 6 o clock news ?
Somehow I doubt it...

As Kirsty Williams (Lib Dem) suggested HERSELF on QT, it won't be politicians or Ched Evans who decides, it'll be the sponsors and the big money in football.

Fair play to her, at least being a nice lady she can admit it...
Reply: 56 - 101
Meza
November 17, 2014, 6:07pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,637
Gold Stars: 50
Tbf everyone's a role as am i to my children.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 101
Vance Warner
November 17, 2014, 6:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from 2578
she was fair game that night

Sickening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 101
November 17, 2014, 6:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from Meza
Tbf everyone's a role as am i to my children.

You're right, you are Meza !

Never said role models weren't important - they are.

More a case of how you define them ?
I'd rather have a role model as a Town player than a Big Prem star.
Why ? Cos while he's in a Town shirt he's a hero (if he does well) for serving MY club.
Should I not care just cos he's not got as much natural ability as say John Terry ?
I mean look at Macca (John McDermott I mean) and how many appearances he notched up.

Maybe there's also a dividing line between "football" and private life ?
George Best for example - great player and icon but overdid the booze.
Alex Higgins - my icon too but same thing + violent.
Old teacher of mine said Higgins was a violent boozer so wasn't someone to admire - he got well cross at me !
I insisted (!) it was ONLY his snooker on the table that made him a hero.

Did I think he was a role model for his private life ? No.
Did I think he was a nice person and someone to look up to as a person ? No.

But put it this way, I'm not gonna start ignoring genius on the green baize just cos of that, sorry I'm not.
And there are no "football clubs" in snooker.

Depends what's important to YOU I suppose. (both maybe)
Just saying "personal life" gets looked at a lot more than it used to.

It's all a "grey area" of individual preference anyway cos ultimately it boils down to the choices of those buying the product. (or not !)

Would most probably be a total media nightmare anyway...
So regretfully (and unfortunately) it's a no from me too.
Reply: 59 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Would You

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.