October 6, 2014, 3:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Some thought provoking points apart from this one:

The reason for the debt is completely irrelevant. The "business" owes that money, end of story. Potential investors either accept that or don't buy the club.

You are effectively asking Fenty to give the club £3m for nothing in return. You may feel he should because it's all his fault. I'm guessing he disagrees!

I'm sure he disagrees!  I can certainly see the arguement that a proportion of that debt is down to 'normal' operating costs etc but there is a large portion in there, IMO, which is directly down to the way that he has decided to run the club.

Incidentally, forgot to include this in my original post, but is it a deliberate club policy now to only offer one year deals to players because of having fingers burned in the past (Makofo, Sweeney etc)?  And if so, is this policy making it harder for the manager to attract the quality players to the club?

Is it a case of, for example, Bogle doesn't want to come to Town, not necessarily because of location, but because we are only offering a one year deal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 154
grimsby pete
October 6, 2014, 3:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Bit late with your message Pete, GYFR was online about an hour ago!

What did he say ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 154
Abdul19
October 6, 2014, 3:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
We offered a transfer fee for Bogle I think? I doubt we'd do that, then only offer him a 12 month contract?

And on the other hand, a big factor in us getting such a decent fee for Bennett was that he'd signed a 4 year contract.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 154
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 3:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsby pete

What did he say ?

He didn't say owt, just noticed he was browsing when I logged in!
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 154
grimsby pete
October 6, 2014, 4:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He didn't say owt, just noticed he was browsing when I logged in!

Testing the water before he talks to Hurst maybe,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 154
arryarryarry
October 6, 2014, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
It would be interesting to know how much this club has wasted on crap managers, crap players and crap feasibility studies.
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 154
rancido
October 6, 2014, 5:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Quagmire

The debt has been primarily accrued over the years because of JF's policy of deciding to spend way above the clubs income level on the playing budget.

Over his entire tenure he has had the ability to either increase or decrease the deficit depending on what he has allowed managers to spend in terms of wages.

The biggest cost of most businesses is wages - and ultimately he can control that.

He knows, or should know, the likely income of the club over a season plus the likely fixed costs.  The only variable left, and one that he is in full control of, is the playing budget.

It's not like he has suddenly been hit by a massive, unexpected bill that he has had to help the club out.  He can control the level of money that he needs to put into the club.

He could decide to give the manager a playing budget of 200% of income and then at the end of the season let everybody know how much money he has had to put into the club to 'keep it going'.  Then out come the pro JF brigade telling everyone who is critical of his tenure that without him there wouldn't be a club.  It's a load of rubbish, he's decided to put that money in to the club because he has decided to make the playing budget x% of the predicted income.

Add in all the money the club has wasted on paying managers/players off, plus other things such as going to court over Scott & Hurst etc and, IMO, I can understand why any potential investor in the club wouldn't want to pay that money back to him.

Why should anyone hand that money over when they haven't been involved in making those decisions that have cost the club that money???

I would also argue that the club could even have been better off without his 'input', after all where has all of that money got us?  

If you don't have that safety net of that money you tend to make better decisions.  You don't hand out 3 year deals to players and then pay them off a few months later.  You probably spend more time and energy attempting to increase income in order to pay for things.  You don't go to court over a mangerial appointment knowing you might be found out.  You don't allow the manager to bring another 4 players in in January, move some out if you want some in.  You dont' allow the manager to go out and bring another defender in on loan when we are crying out for some attacking intent, you use the defensive youth players you have given pro contracts to plug the defensive gap.

As for the idea that there is nobody else out there, Mike Parker is proof of someone being out there, who nobody had even heard of until it was announced, with money who wanted to be involved with the club - who knows how many more would show their hands if JF was to walk away.

Notwithstanding the fact that if we had someone who knew what they were doing running the club the 'need' for this additional funding might not be necessary, there's a number of clubs outperforming us, being supported by far less fans, generating less income, they can do it, why can't we?

Reading some of the pro JF posts on here you would think that the club generates zero income.

With regards to what I have emphasised. This implies that JF has tried to pay for better players to improve the team and ultimately get promoted. This seems to fly in the face of a lot of posters who keep saying " you have to speculate to accumulate". You can't have it both ways!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 154
Marinerz93
October 6, 2014, 5:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Did JF rack up £3M of debt or did he inherit a £2m debt from the ITV Digital fiasco? In terms of how the Club is run from a financial point of view most of the decisions the board make seem fairly sensible and they don't throw money around like confetti which is good. I know it isn`t my money but I would walk away and write the debt of personally then the problem is no longer mine and my conscience would be clear I did the best I could but accept it wasnt good enough.However I would much rather JF got in a high profile Manager and dangled a performance related contract with hordes of add ons for success this is very attainable and this Season is the best chance Town have had of a Promotion from this League due to the lack of opposition.

getyourfactsright should be the man to divulge those figures.

ITV digital fiasco - The Club paid that back in full in agreed instalments negotiated by the board / JF.  

At the same time as paying back the tax debt we also paid back JF over 4 seasons in instalments for paying off Ramsden who it is alleged was going to liquidate the club to get his money back.

At the same time the club was paying off managers and players the board had sacked and the shortfall in money in bringing in new managers and players had to be funded / loaned by the board.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 154
cleethorpes_mariner
October 6, 2014, 6:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from Marinerz93

getyourfactsright should be the man to divulge those figures.

ITV digital fiasco - The Club paid that back in full in agreed instalments negotiated by the board / JF.  

At the same time as paying back the tax debt we also paid back JF over 4 seasons in instalments for paying off Ramsden who it is alleged was going to liquidate the club to get his money back.

At the same time the club was paying off managers and players the board had sacked and the shortfall in money in bringing in new managers and players had to be funded / loaned by the board.

Not sure this is totally correct

ITV digital money was spent in advance by the pervious board, when It did not arrive JF ended up paying the shortfall due to the previous board walking and demanding either  their money back or bankruptcy.
The only deal to repay debts was the tax bill and a very large overdraft.
unfortunately even if JF was to itemise where the 3 mil had gone no one on here would believe him so why would he bother.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 154
1mickylyons
October 6, 2014, 6:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56

Not sure this is totally correct

ITV digital money was spent in advance by the pervious board, when It did not arrive JF ended up paying the shortfall due to the previous board walking and demanding either  their money back or bankruptcy.
The only deal to repay debts was the tax bill and a very large overdraft.
unfortunately even if JF was to itemise where the 3 mil had gone no one on here would believe him so why would he bother.

haha brilliant I would demand he produce a receipt for the packet of bourbons I saw him scoffing before a game during Newells tenure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 154
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Message for John Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.