Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Message for John Fenty
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 149 Guests

Message for John Fenty

This thread currently has 14,836 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2014, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from mariner91

My position on this is that right now, we do need the money JF is putting in and I'm grateful for it. But the "benign" loans hang like a millstone around the club's neck and put off any other potential investors. In an ideal world, JF would still put money in but write this money off as a lot of it was spent largely from his incompetence in appointing managers. But that is a world occupied by fairies and talking teddy bears and I realise that it's all well and good to suggest that when it's not my money but the reality is that it would be asking a lot from the bloke.

Take your point but I sometimes feel that GTFC has been someone's hobby horse for the past 10 years and, not financially but emotionally, the fans are paying the price.

Semantically, I don't and never did want the club to go bust or go into admin, but the price tag for any new investor includes the cost of 10 years of one mans follies, how can that be right?
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 154
mariner91
October 5, 2014, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Take your point but I sometimes feel that GTFC has been someone's hobby horse for the past 10 years and, not financially but emotionally, the fans are paying the price.

Semantically, I don't and never did want the club to go bust or go into admin, but the price tag for any new investor includes the cost of 10 years of one mans follies, how can that be right?

It's a difficult position as I truly don't think it would be fair on a new investor to take on the debt that is caused, one could argue, by the mismanagement of the current board. Someone has to carry the can for that debt and ideally it would be the man who created it but it is a lot of money to just give up, I don't know if I could in that position.

I don't think it's been his hobby horse though. I think JF has always truly wanted the best for the club and that he still does, he is a fan at the end of the day. The problem is, he just isn't a very good chairman/not-chairman.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 154
TAGG
October 5, 2014, 9:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from gtfc71
TAGG,

Isn't 2 consecutive top 4 finishes a 'reasonable record?'

No

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 154
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2014, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

It's a difficult position as I truly don't think it would be fair on a new investor to take on the debt that is caused, one could argue, by the mismanagement of the current board. Someone has to carry the can for that debt and ideally it would be the man who created it but it is a lot of money to just give up, I don't know if I could in that position.

I don't think it's been his hobby horse though. I think JF has always truly wanted the best for the club and that he still does, he is a fan at the end of the day. The problem is, he just isn't a very good chairman/not-chairman.

Sure, he's a fan, but there are many other fans out there that willingly devote a large percentage of their disposable income on an overvalued product. For instance, did you know that Hull only charged £16 a ticket yesterday?
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 154
cleethorpes_mariner
October 5, 2014, 9:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sure, he's a fan, but there are many other fans out there that willingly devote a large percentage of their disposable income on an overvalued product. For instance, did you know that Hull only charged £16 a ticket yesterday?

So If I have this right you want JF to walk and take his loans with him but put more money if for a new manager and competitive team first.
Then get the club to lower prices thus reducing the income further.
cant see us surviving for long on that business plan TBH

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 154
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2014, 9:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

To be honest Old Codger I wish he wasn't a fan.

I wish he was a clever team player, detached from this "fan" business (that's our job) and that he had built a great management team around him to preserve/enhance the Clubs status.  

I wish he wasn't so difficult to work with  (allegedly) and had concrete proposals for the new stadium which didn't keep turning to dust every few years, and I wish he had a vision for the type of team/manager we could be proud of.

I wish he didn't want 2 players for the price of one (allegedly) and employed  proper PR people to avoid the cringeworthy interviews.

I wish for a lot, but I aint gonna get any of it because he has wasted a fortune getting us to mid table in Non League, and now no one will touch us with a barge pole because they are waiting for him to extricate himself from the mess he has caused.

In a word we are stuck. The only thing that can save us from being down here for the foreseeable future is for us to stumble on a team or manager or both that do the business despite everything.  

I feel sympathy for the manager(s) because I am sure the phrase "competitive budget" doesn't tell the whole story, but I feel most sorry for the fans who despite everything keep turning up ( me included) because its in our blood.

Private Message
Reply: 115 - 154
mariner91
October 5, 2014, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I do think it is over priced for the quality of football and the facilities but our budget would be even lower without it so currently I'm happy to pay that and I'm a student. But it's one thing talking about fans paying £18 a ticket but quite another to suggest another fan writes off £3 million.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 154
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2014, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker

So If I have this right you want JF to walk and take his loans with him but put more money if for a new manager and competitive team first.
Then get the club to lower prices thus reducing the income further.
cant see us surviving for long on that business plan TBH

No you haven't understood me at all. I want whoever is running the club to decide what they want for the future. What's the greater priority? The legacy? Promotion? The fans? A new stadium? Financial stability? Because I don't think you can reasonably expect to deliver all of the above with our current position on and off the field.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 154
Abdul19
October 5, 2014, 10:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But charged £50 last week.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 154
LongEatonMariner
October 5, 2014, 10:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Does this mean you are considering taking your money there, so Hull becomes your club, leaving GTFC to Fenty?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 154
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Message for John Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.