16 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 6, 2014, 12:52am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from mariner91

I do think it is over priced for the quality of football and the facilities but our budget would be even lower without it so currently I'm happy to pay that and I'm a student. But it's one thing talking about fans paying £18 a ticket but quite another to suggest another fan writes off £3 million.

And why is that debt £3 million.
Success generates profit - oops.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 154
mariner91
October 6, 2014, 7:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from promotion plaice

And why is that debt £3 million.
Success generates profit - oops.

Not disputing that for a second. But are you telling me you'd happily just write it off in that situation?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 154
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 10:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

Does this mean you are considering taking your money there, so Hull becomes your club, leaving GTFC to Fenty?

So by making a point that even a Prem club are needing to reduce admission prices to push gates up, I am on the brink of ditching the club I've supported for 45 years?? Bonkers.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 154
mariner91
October 6, 2014, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So by making a point that even a Prem club are needing to reduce admission prices to push gates up, I am on the brink of ditching the club I've supported for 45 years?? Bonkers.

Yes but what is equally bonkers is saying we need to push the boat out financially and then bemoaning the amount paid for a ticket. With a lower entrance fee, the budget would be lower and we'd probably be slightly worse than we already are. Can't have it both ways.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 154
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mariner91

Yes but what is equally bonkers is saying we need to push the boat out financially and then bemoaning the amount paid for a ticket. With a lower entrance fee, the budget would be lower and we'd probably be slightly worse than we already are. Can't have it both ways.

Didn't bemoan the cost of the ticket as long as you get VFM. Would you rather have 4000 in BP paying £12 a ticket or 3000 paying £16, equates to the same gate money! The broader point is the 'Stick or Twist' angle - how badly do we need promotion - I believe that we are as far away from a return to league football as we have been for some time - probably since Scott and Hurst took over.
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 154
cleethorpes_mariner
October 6, 2014, 12:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Didn't bemoan the cost of the ticket as long as you get VFM. Would you rather have 4000 in BP paying £12 a ticket or 3000 paying £16, equates to the same gate money! The broader point is the 'Stick or Twist' angle - how badly do we need promotion - I believe that we are as far away from a return to league football as we have been for some time - probably since Scott and Hurst took over.

There is no guarantee that by putting gate prices lower will increase gates, last year they tried a game where you could pay what you liked and felt a fair price but the gate was no larger than any other game.

Secondly other income like TV money and Prem handouts to Hull allow them to reduce ticket costs, we in this poxy league don't get that luxury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 154
grimsby pete
October 6, 2014, 12:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We would not get 4,000 gates if we reduced the price to £8 at the moment,

Fans want to see a winning team barring that,

A team that plays attractive football,

Once we start playing attractive football and winning on a regular basis,

We shall get 5,000 + gates,

BUT

We have got to stop playing too defensive and be productive before we starting winning most games at home,

Our away form is ok if you do not mind seeing us grinding out a result,

At home we have got to go for it, scare the opposition with our speed and power,

Then the fans will return even if it was £20 to get in.

PS.  That was not a hint to put the price up John.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 154
psgmariner
October 6, 2014, 12:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Didn't bemoan the cost of the ticket as long as you get VFM. Would you rather have 4000 in BP paying £12 a ticket or 3000 paying £16, equates to the same gate money!

Being a pedant it's not actually the same as you need to consider VAT.

Private Message
Reply: 127 - 154
mariner91
October 6, 2014, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's a horrible situation in all honesty. I don't think the starting eleven is far off being title challengers. In my eyes we could do with two good attacking players to put us up there. Strength in depth and the ability of the manager is another matter though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 154
rancido
October 6, 2014, 12:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Take your point but I sometimes feel that GTFC has been someone's hobby horse for the past 10 years and, not financially but emotionally, the fans are paying the price.

Semantically, I don't and never did want the club to go bust or go into admin, but the price tag for any new investor includes the cost of 10 years of one mans follies, how can that be right?

But surely JF's loans or investments , whatever you want to call them, were put in place to avoid the club going bust or into admin? His choice of managers might have cost money in removing them but certainly not to the magnitude of the debt. The majority of this must have been used in financially supporting the club to cover trading losses. If he had refused to prop the club up then what would have been the result - admin or going bankrupt surely? He could have done what a previous board member did in loaning the club money then demanding it back immediately when he spit his dummy out! Even before our problems started I don't recall any wealthy businessmen queuing up to invest in GTFC. In fact I seem to recall that JF became chairman because nobody else wanted the position.
I am neither pro or anti JF and am the first to admit that his time with the club has seen a black period in our history. Conversely I have yet to hear any " concrete " evidence concerning other people willing to take over the mantle of running the club. It's all well and good saying nobody will want the club with the " benign debt" hanging over us like The Sword of Damoclese but that debt was incurred in propping up the club in the first case. I don't think there is a single poster on here who would be prepared to walk away from our club and write that debt off if they were in a position to.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 154
16 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Message for John Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.