12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
October 1, 2014, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
I'm sorry but you can't not sack a useless manager through fear of maybe not finding another one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 115
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2014, 8:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'm sorry but you can't not sack a useless manager through fear of maybe not finding another one.

Oh yes we can! You may have hit on the unique quality of our club there.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 115
horsforthmariner
October 1, 2014, 8:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,613
Gold Stars: 9
Okay this is my take on the situation:

Firstly Hurst: He isn't a bad manager, he can set a team up ok, we aren't taken apart regularly and he does spot some good players. But he is tactically very average. Others teams do us tactically despite having inferior players.

He has no plan B - compare to Halifax - in the first half we were murdering them, in the second half their manager swapped it round, bypassed our midfield and they got the upperhand. Generally if we start badly that's it, we play rubbish for the entire game. Hurst doesn't seem to  be able to switch things round and change the game.

He also seems to have a blind spot with Lenny. When Lenny plays it's too easy to lump it up. We then lose our advantage of having more technically gifted players than most of our opposition. Lenny is an impact player who should be coming off the bench or playing on an oppositions weakness, we should not be building a team around him as Hurst does. On Chester I looked at the side and thought pre kick off thats a strong side I didn't think that last night. Oates should have started last night.

Jack Mackraith is a bad signing, he's too lightweight. We need to move him on in January and replace him with a better winger.

I think Doig and Hurst aren't good together. Hurst can handle the defensive side of things but I've never thought he really had an idea of dealing with forwards. So why have we appointed another defender as assistant.

I would get rid only if there is a better alternative. If we can get Gatesheads or Halifax's manager then grab em but if not it's not worth the hassle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 115
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2014, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from pontoonlew

Our 'custodian' is capable of all sorts of decisions, the words North Devon, Slade, Newell, Radio Humberside and others are ringing in my ears like a bad dose of tinnitus
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 115
Mariners_15
October 1, 2014, 8:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Okay this is my take on the situation:

Firstly Hurst: He isn't a bad manager, he can set a team up ok, we aren't taken apart regularly and he does spot some good players. But he is tactically very average. Others teams do us tactically despite having inferior players.

He has no plan B - compare to Halifax - in the first half we were murdering them, in the second half their manager swapped it round, bypassed our midfield and they got the upperhand. Generally if we start badly that's it, we play rubbish for the entire game. Hurst doesn't seem to  be able to switch things round and change the game.

He also seems to have a blind spot with Lenny. When Lenny plays it's too easy to lump it up. We then lose our advantage of having more technically gifted players than most of our opposition. Lenny is an impact player who should be coming off the bench or playing on an oppositions weakness, we should not be building a team around him as Hurst does. On Chester I looked at the side and thought pre kick off thats a strong side I didn't think that last night. Oates should have started last night.

Jack Mackraith is a bad signing, he's too lightweight. We need to move him on in January and replace him with a better winger.

I think Doig and Hurst aren't good together. Hurst can handle the defensive side of things but I've never thought he really had an idea of dealing with forwards. So why have we appointed another defender as assistant.

I would get rid only if there is a better alternative. If we can get Gatesheads or Halifax's manager then grab em but if not it's not worth the hassle.

He's had a bad start to his career here to be fair, in and out of the team and not really got started yet but having seen him a couple of times play against us, and the highlights when he came here from his Macc days it's clear to see there's a player in there. Hope we see it soon, don't want him to become a flop...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 115
Fcukthescunts
October 1, 2014, 8:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Quoted from pontoonlew

Appreciate we aren't go agree on things but surely we have to have an idea of who we want?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 115
petethemariner
October 1, 2014, 8:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Really d'ont see Fenty sacking Hurst (sadly IMO) because it will cost him a years
salary for Hurst, maybe compo for a new  man and then there is the situation with Doig,
a new man might want his own assistant, which would mean Doig becoming just a player
again, with the possibility of disenchantment being spread in the changing room as a result.
I have read with interest the comments on Hurst over the past few weeks and my own personal
opinion now is that he isn't the right man for the job, a good manager gets momentum building
after a couple of good results, he doesn't, its one step forward two back, worries about
the opposition and strange team selections. OK he has had a few injuries, but has been given
a good budget for this league and should have built a squad strong enough to cope IMO.
Sometimes you get a 'feel'  of success about the clubs management, i have to say i have never
had this with either Scott/Hurst or Hurst alone and still d'ont.
Nothing personal against Hurst but i just feel the time is now right for a change, i d'ont believe
we will go up with him in charge, so whats the risk?If it takes another season with the right man,
so be it.
My opinion for what its worth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 115
Stevie Saunders
October 1, 2014, 9:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Sack Hurst - get Doig??

Assuming there will be a financial cost if we sack Hurst (compo and we are not exactly flushed (meaning we probably couldn't afford a 'better' boss) Doig might be the board's choice

Would be a risk and a slight let down - but he might be the one??

Personally, I'd go for a first time manager who has poss been Prem Lge/Championship player in poast 2/3 seasons, has his badges, is desperate for his first chance, and would be happy to take a job to get on the first rung

In theory, would have good contacts

What would we have to lose? Rather this than a 'been round the block a few times and done very little' type IMO

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 115
chaos33
October 1, 2014, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Gary Brabin? His stats are very convincing anyway, and he's not doing anything at the moment!

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Brabin]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Brabin[/url]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Kng8QBm.png[/img]

Are they 'very convincing'? I'm not really seeing it, especially the Luton stats. They're decent, but obviously not good enough for a club with ambitions of regaining their league status and who'll do whatever it takes (that's Luton, not us of course). Are they appreciably better than Hurst's?

Here's what my Luton supporting mate said about Brabin - make of it what you will...

"Tactically clueless. He's a good coach but no manager. He used to stand in the dugout when things were going pear-shaped on the pitch and have no idea about what to do. Plus, he's a hot-headed scouser."

Of course, I was tempted to say "Well he sounds right up our sh1t street", but too much of that sounds all too familiar in all seriousness.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 115
friskneymariner
October 1, 2014, 9:12pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
We started the season unprepared with being short of a striker,the transfer window closed without out us getting one,now we have two injured and he brings in a youngster from Barnsley,who may  if given the opportunity prove to be o.k.But where is the quality striker we need?to rely on LJL as our main attacking threat is just delusional.I fear we have lost ground on the promotion race,and have within the team an acceptance of mediocrity . That is fact all those who are still wearing their rose tinted glasses are deluding themselves .    

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goodbye Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.