12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
OneLove
September 30, 2014, 11:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
il support town all me life but my opinion is my opinion your not going to change it grimrob. Its folk like you who are happy constantly to sit on the fence and keep stum when you clearly no alls not roses at GTFC.

Come next season when we are still here and without our best players will all see the light and realise, yeh perhaps peoples opinions where right in september. I hope I'm wrong but I carnt honestly see it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 115
GorgeousGeorge
September 30, 2014, 11:43pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Quoted from OneLove
il support town all me life but my opinion is my opinion your not going to change it grimrob. Its folk like you who are happy constantly to sit on the fence and keep stum when you clearly no alls not roses at GTFC.

Come next season when we are still here and without our best players will all see the light and realise, yeh perhaps peoples opinions where right in september. I hope I'm wrong but I carnt honestly see it!

I think you should perhaps have another read of Robs comments, he borders on the 'overly loyal' side of supportive when it comes to the manager.  However, like you and I he is entitled to his opinion so please accept that because you think something it doesn't automatically become fact.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 115
davmariner
October 1, 2014, 12:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from GrimRob

Respect the opposition otherwise you'll end up losing, so cut the "little teams" crap. Three points is three points, it doesn't matter who it's against. All that matters is the points tally after 46 games. PH will  last the full course this season, there's no point sacking him now, so just support the team until all 46 games have been and gone. Hopefully we'll make it to the post season of course so there may be more than 46 games.

Tend to agree with this, but I can completely see both sides. My view is that if we sack Hurst and get someone else in we might as well forget this season. It'll be a new manager with new ideas and players at this level aren't necessarily going to adjust immediately. Same goes for the manager, it's unlikely that whoever comes in would immediately get us going. If he was going to go he should have gone last season. Fed up of owners giving managers a budget and then sacking them stupidly early.  

It's just over a dozen games in, we've played well in spells and we've played badly in spells. We just need to find a bit of consistency and go on a run. We aren't a million miles away from where we need to be. I feel Arnold has an important role to play for us and I'm looking forward to him returning properly.

As fans we can do our bit and push the players that extra 10% with our support. I know it's difficult at times but we are where we are and at times it's not going to be pretty. Back the lads and back Hurst as long as they're here and eventually things will consistently come good.

See you at Dartford. UTM.  

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 115
percentagefootball
October 1, 2014, 12:21am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +10
Quoted from davmariner

Tend to agree with this, but I can completely see both sides. My view is that if we sack Hurst and get someone else in we might as well forget this season. It'll be a new manager with new ideas and players at this level aren't necessarily going to adjust immediately. Same goes for the manager, it's unlikely that whoever comes in would immediately get us going. If he was going to go he should have gone last season. Fed up of owners giving managers a budget and then sacking them stupidly early.  

It's just over a dozen games in, we've played well in spells and we've played badly in spells. We just need to find a bit of consistency and go on a run. We aren't a million miles away from where we need to be. I feel Arnold has an important role to play for us and I'm looking forward to him returning properly.

As fans we can do our bit and push the players that extra 10% with our support. I know it's difficult at times but we are where we are and at times it's not going to be pretty. Back the lads and back Hurst as long as they're here and eventually things will consistently come good.

This.

An excellent post, especially with regards to the effects of bringing in a new manager. Consistency seems to be our biggest problem right now, so sacking Hurst and disrupting the squad seems a counterintuitive solution.

Keep the faith. UTM

UTM!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 115
arryarryarry
October 1, 2014, 12:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from davmariner

Did you go tonight because on that showing we are.

Have you not been keeping up on here, Arnold doesn't want to be here and it is no coincidence that he is known as sick note within the club and he is now off with another so called injury.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 115
MarinerWY
October 1, 2014, 12:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from percentagefootball

This.

An excellent post, especially with regards to the effects of bringing in a new manager. Consistency seems to be our biggest problem right now, so sacking Hurst and disrupting the squad seems a counterintuitive solution.

Keep the faith. UTM

Definitely agree. It's extremely frustrating that we seem to show some real potential as a team, such as against Chester, and the follow it up with a lacklustre performance. However, there is definitely the ability within the squad and if we can show it with more consitency, with a good run we'll be right up there fighting the promotion/play-off spots.

It would completely disrupt and in my view probably write-off the season to get rid of Hurst now. By all means if we feel to make the play-offs, but that's a decision to be made next April. For now we should get behind both him and the players.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 115
October 1, 2014, 12:47am
Guest User
Well said dav !
Have to be honest I'm not convinced Hurst WILL be the man.
But equally refuse to yield to another kneejerk cos we've seen it all before, only to bounce back time and time again.
False dawn frustration perhaps, but that's football (and Town) unfortunately.

When did we last lose 3 games on the trot under Hurst ?
Inconsistency works both ways..
Reply: 26 - 115
DavidB
October 1, 2014, 1:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Given the vehemence of the 'Hurst out' posts tonight, I just thought I'd do a quick sense-check of the situation:

• we're 5 points off a play-off position at 30% of the  way through the season with 99 points still to play for

• we've a squad which many seem to think is quite competitive at this level, and better than last season (and put together by this manager)

• player availability has been badly affected by injuries, particularly early in the season (and the manager has taken steps to compensate for these, including some loans (e.g. Boyce) which have been regarded as very beneficial)

• there have been some great results, some very good battling performances (e.g. Halifax), and a few where either or both of these hasn't happened. (I can think of several top Premiership teams for whom the same could be said - maybe they'll be judged on where they are at the end of April.)

It doesn't feel like a disastrous situation to me. A poor run and it could become so - and vice versa: the season is still poised, everything to play for, with the goal of at least a play-off position still very achievable.

What it does feel like is that opinions on here (a subset of the total fan base!) are divided between some who don't believe Paul Hurst is capable of achieving at least a play-off position this season, those that do, those that are uncertain but want to see if he can, and those who are unsure but don't. After a loss like tonight it's the first group who are most vocal - the result has added fuel to their fire; after a win the criticisms are very muted (but it's the same manager!).

So, some perspective is called for! My concern is that the apparent prevalence of 'Hurst out' sentiment on this message board after a loss will persuade The Majority Shareholder that all the fans want change, and the Board will exercise their collective trigger fingers again and as a result of the inevitable disruption we will risk losing the opportunity we still have for an ultimately successful season. Only if it's really going pear-shaped  - a disjointed, uncommitted group of players, with a manager without the ability to rectify this  -should the Board consider a change at this stage. In my opinion, we're nowhere near that point now!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 115
barralad
October 1, 2014, 6:53am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Forgive us. We should have had the bunting out and given Hurst the Freedom of the Borough* (which I believe is the right to drive haddock across Corporation Bridge if I'm not mistaken).

* fill in your own punchline about Grimsby Borough

I think you might find Ackos opinion is broadly in line with your own....but then I guess that's what happens when you quote a post out of any context....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 115
A.l.f.
October 1, 2014, 7:24am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
After the match it's so easy to criticise.  I actually agreed with the team selection and most people seemed happy with it prior to kick off that I spoke to.  With a big strong defence LJL was the right choice.
Unfortunately none of our players really were on their game and I thought Southport did the perfect away job on us (bit like we did at Kiddy).  I think Southport deserve some credit as they played better than I anticipated but we simply did not play well.  
Once those players cross the line, if they don't play well I really don't see how it's all the Managers fault.  I think Wenger would agree with me after some of Arsenals performances in the last 3 seasons and so would many top flight managers.

Football is unpredictable and that's why we all love it.  We will win some against the odds but also lose some that we don't expect to.  What matters is that we are at the top come the end of the season.  I've seen enough this season to tell me that if we can steer clear of more injuries we will be there.  Tonight with Pittman I think his extra pace would have been interesting.

Think the players have to write off last night and move on to Dartford and put things right as we should too.

I must point out that I too don't always agree with the Managers tactics but sacking him now would be a crazy thing to do.  Only a few weeks ago we won 6-1 away and 7-0 at home so it ain't broken, we just need a little repairing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goodbye Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.