October 1, 2014, 10:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from RonMariner
'Some good results,  some bad results'.

That is true. That's the problem. It's called inconsistency.  That will not get us out of this division.

Agree Ronnie, that's why some on here including myself can not make our mind up about Hurst,

I think Fenty will stick with him for now, we might make the play offs or just miss out,

That will be the time to take a hard look at things and decide whether it will be worth giving somebody else the chance to do better,

Unless there is a bloke with a magic wand out there who wants the job now.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 115
Jarmo.Is.God
October 1, 2014, 10:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
But should we be fighting for a place in the play-offs after 5 seasons ?

or should we be fighting for the top spot.

i think Hurst has done well to get us in the play-offs in the past, and signs some good players.

but he is showing how the most we will ever do is get in the play-offs, no ambition at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 115
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2014, 10:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It isn't nice to say I told you so but .............

Listening to another sensible downbeat interview from PH it is pretty clear he does not know the answer. He kept on about "finding a way to win" as though a one-nil was the limit of his ambitions. Bristol struggled against Southport he says. So what? That's their problem. Southport simply played a simple game and our simple minded team couldn't counter it.

He makes excuses about Arnold's injury. If he had been on the bench where would he have used him? Taken off a winger almost for certain. But he doesn't even try moving Neilson into the middle after 30 minutes of stalemate.  He says LJL and Hannah like playing together. Great, I hope they will be very happy, somewhere else. It clearly is never going to be a goals galore partnership is it?

The "highlights" of this game show the PH problems perfectly. If anyone is in any doubt that we will never be anything other than a hard to beat away side that might scape a playoff place - study those highlights and see how easy it was to out-think him.

He won't be sacked yet. I've said this before but JF cannot afford to do it yet and we will only see the usual arguments about achievements to date, wait and see where we are by Christmas and so on. Plus there is nobody with oomph and nous available unless we buy them from another club. I'd be surprised if things pan out differently. So - no change. It's only 1st October but we might as well face the inevitable. In May two teams will be promoted but Town will not be one of them.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 115
GrimRob
October 1, 2014, 10:52am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
It isn't nice to say I told you so but .............

Listening to another sensible downbeat interview from PH it is pretty clear he does not know the answer. He kept on about "finding a way to win" as though a one-nil was the limit of his ambitions. Bristol struggled against Southport he says. So what? That's their problem. Southport simply played a simple game and our simple minded team couldn't counter it.

He makes excuses about Arnold's injury. If he had been on the bench where would he have used him? Taken off a winger almost for certain. But he doesn't even try moving Neilson into the middle after 30 minutes of stalemate.  He says LJL and Hannah like playing together. Great, I hope they will be very happy, somewhere else. It clearly is never going to be a goals galore partnership is it?

The "highlights" of this game show the PH problems perfectly. If anyone is in any doubt that we will never be anything other than a hard to beat away side that might scape a playoff place - study those highlights and see how easy it was to out-think him.

He won't be sacked yet. I've said this before but JF cannot afford to do it yet and we will only see the usual arguments about achievements to date, wait and see where we are by Christmas and so on. Plus there is nobody with oomph and nous available unless we buy them from another club. I'd be surprised if things pan out differently. So - no change. It's only 1st October but we might as well face the inevitable. In May two teams will be promoted but Town will not be one of them.

Give up if you want but I bet Forest Green and Eastleigh haven't - one and two points above us. I certainly wouldn't give up now even if we had less points than we do. We're in the Pellaton, there's a few riders ahead of us, but nobody we can't catch - especially with the tricky hurdles of the winter and FA Trophy still for everyone to negotiate. The King of the Winter jersey could be ours!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 115
grimsby pete
October 1, 2014, 10:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GrimRob

Give up if you want but I bet Forest Green and Eastleigh haven't - one and two points above us. I certainly wouldn't give up now even if we had less points than we do. We're in the Pellaton, there's a few riders ahead of us, but nobody we can't catch - especially with the tricky hurdles of the winter and FA Trophy still for everyone to negotiate. The King of the Winter jersey could be ours!

Have we got the sprinter to snatch a victory,

Or an all rounder who will win the G.C.  ( general classification )

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 115
Nelly GTFC
October 1, 2014, 11:10am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Southport Fan
Grimsby have offered little and look a average mid table team
Tonight we were composed, well organised and worked hard and were good value for the win, this was not a fluke or a smash and grab victory, Southport were the better team.
Better team on night won. Can't see grimsby being anywhere near play offs
[url=http://www.portchat.net/viewtopic.php?t=30099]http://www.portchat.net/viewtopic.php?t=30099[/url]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 115
denni266
October 1, 2014, 11:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
So what has changed over the last 3/4 years  nothing.. we are still in this pub / part time league with a sunday league manager,, yes he has spotted some good players.. or rather been told about good players, managed to sign them, and hey presto he hasnt got a clue what to do with them , he has to go and the sooner the better. and them that want him to stay must be happy with just being a mid table team at best
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 115
friskneymariner
October 1, 2014, 11:13am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Two options either sack Hurst or get a decent striker in ,that entails a financial outlay either way.A .decent striker would pay for himself re attendances .Do nothing another season in this god awful league and ever dwindling gates.Its your call Mr Fenty.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 115
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2014, 11:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

I would love to think you are right Rob, being old enough to remember 1962 when we were many points adrift at Christmas then went on a long unbeaten run and romped into promotion. So yes, it can happen and I will be more than happy to recant my pessimism.

I am struggling to see LJL and Hannah as replacements for Rafferty and Portwood up front though!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 115
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 11:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
But should we be fighting for a place in the play-offs after 5 seasons ?

or should we be fighting for the top spot.

We've got probably the 4th or 5th highest budget in the division so the play-offs should be the target at the very least, but you would certainly hope we would be up nearer the top spot as well.

It took Luton 5 years of spending masses of money (much more than we've got available) to win promotion and they were nowhere near automatic promotion during their first four seasons in the Conference. With the likes of Barnet, FGR, Eastleigh and Rovers all spending lots of money, I think the play-offs are the most likely route for us getting out of this division, though whether or not we'll manage it, I don't know. I had a lot more confidence that we could prior to last night's shambles, that's for sure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goodbye Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.