Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My first ever Ponny experience.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 97 Guests

My first ever Ponny experience.

This thread currently has 5,792 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 11, 2012, 8:00pm
Guest User
Cheers for your reply GyMariner, good to meet you (albeit briefly) too.
Quoted from GyMariner
I would really like to be positioned above the goal, but then you have issues with season ticket holders so i cant see everyone being moved successfully.

Well I personally think the club should move hell and high water if possible and decide what the priority is.
Understand season ticket holders might object but surely there's a way round it ?
It's not like there aren't enough seats (at least at the moment).

Quoted from GyMariner
Believe it or not, but it's actually took me a couple of years to get as high as i was in the pontoon.

Do you mean you were lower down to try to pass on "encouragement" to players within earshot ?
I certainly agree with what you say about how players CAN hear and it makes a difference as I pointed out before.

Eventually we could become SO organised that we've got hecklers in the corners and the barmy army making 1 hell of a racket in the middle.

One thing that stuck me yesterday I thought I should point out too (that's gonna be tricky to not make myself look a right male private  )....

Last few minutes think it's fair to say Town had controlled the game sufficeintly enough to "push on" and take the game to Woking al ot more.

That chorus

"Wooooooooor  
Wooooooooor
Wooooooooor
Na na na na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na na na na na
Wooooooooor
Wooooooooor
Wooooooooor
Na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na na"

I imagine opposition teams are gonna ABSOLUTELY HATE IT.
Cos to me, it feels like it's helping sucking the ball into the net and draining their confidence away at the same time.
And possibly, especially late on in the game when they're struggling to offer as much resistance as before.

What is any co-incidence we scored 2 late goals ?
Perhaps not if it's simply a case of us pushing forward late but hope you see my point...
Reply: 30 - 84
kevikov
November 11, 2012, 8:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 13
We sit in the ponny, as you look at the goal just to the right. Kind of centre i guess. We're the last of the singers before it goes a bit quiet. We always try to start some chanting and try to carry on the left sides (to us) chants. Chink, not trying to start controversy here because i know the importance of a drum, but, it does sound like the east end during the blitz sometimes! I think with the drum, less is more so to speak, picking up the beat at the end of the line to reinforce the message and emphasise the next line coming in. The beat should support the chant but not other way round. There was some good rythym in there and if it was more defined i think it would not only carry better but entice more to join in. Defo remember about salisbury in the cup where the corner came across and it was as banging as it has been in there for a few years, since we last stayed up i think. The beat of a drum will carry around the ground but a few hundred voices will be clearer as happens away. Whoever bangs the drum, keep up the good work, compliment the chant and everyone join in, our club needs us!

As for bringing standing back to the ponny, we do every week anyway. Lets face it, if everyone who wanted to stand did so, who would stop them? Not the hi vis brigade.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 84
80sglory
November 11, 2012, 8:17pm
Guest User
Should everyone just do what they want and if there's any problem then deal with it later ?
Or can the trust or someone else just ask the club or something ?
Reply: 32 - 84
lobsterpot
November 11, 2012, 8:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
RE standing in the ponny, i for 1 always loved and prefer standing, especially with what it brings atmosphere wise. On the flip side tho' there is no way on God's earth that i would take my kids into a packed standing area nowadays. When you look back at how the ponny used to be it scares the $hit out of me thinking of my little ones in the middle of that.

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 84
cmackenzie4
November 11, 2012, 8:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
My 1st ever trip to blundell park in 1976 I went into the ponny I was hooked straight away, It was an electric atmosphere, The singing and chanting was brilliant, Not like that nowadays unfortunately, although there was some good noise yesterday, these days for me its the lower findus although I went in the upper findus yesterday and was surprised by the noise made in the upper.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 84
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 11, 2012, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,084
Gold Stars: 195
open the osmond to town fans!!! thats the way forward and the way to create noise!!

stick the away fans in the upper findus (osmond side)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 84
kevikov
November 11, 2012, 8:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Should everyone just do what they want and if there's any problem then deal with it later ?
Or can the trust or someone else just ask the club or something ?

I think the problem with the old terracing was the surging, a crowd is a fluid force like traffic, when there's a surge the mass moves but the front, middle and back move in differing speeds and force, this results in inevitable impacts and reactions. These surges were stamped out and all seater stands were widely thought of as removing the moving force. Standing in front of a seat removes the temptation to surge forward, fair enough, but football isn't cricket or swimming etc and as such the urge to get to your feet at times is almost impossible to deny!

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 84
kevikov
November 11, 2012, 9:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Question for you 80's, seeing as you slummed it in the ponny with us lot yesterday (you tramp  ) How did the perspective differ from your usual view in the lap of the gods? Not so much just the view of the game, formation etc but the overall experience and perspective of being behind the game? Genuinely interested as it was your first time. Now you've popped your cherry!

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 84
GTFCchink
November 11, 2012, 10:41pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Screw it, I'm Moving to the middle with the drum on saturday we need to try this out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 84
November 11, 2012, 10:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from GTFCchink
Screw it, I'm Moving to the middle with the drum on saturday we need to try this out

Good lad, spread the word and let everyone know. Lets do our bit and make BP a place teams hate to come to, UTM!
Reply: 39 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My first ever Ponny experience.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.