Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My first ever Ponny experience.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 60 Guests

My first ever Ponny experience.

This thread currently has 5,820 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 11, 2012, 1:12am
Guest User
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro
Apologies if I'm being a bit stupid here 80's, but today was your first time EVER in the Pontoon?

Incredible isn't it ?!...
Always been in the Findus ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
Very rarely travel away too, think closest I've come to such passion was at Upton Park in the FACup when Brian Laws scored all those years ago.
Shows what I've been missing out on I suppose !  
Quoted from moosey_club
Not trying to p1ss on anybodies strawberries here but......and i say this as regular pontoonite myself......but sitting in the Osmand today i genuinely couldnt hear you today, it may sound like you are being noisy sat in the close vacinity but at the other end...nothing, could see you jumping about alot but no clear vocal noise.
Apart from a couple of Maarrriineeerrs which reverberated around the ground very little could be heard. Also sat at the other end it does highlight how very few people actually sit in the pontoon now, i would doubt even a third full.

Fair enough moosey but the players are sometimes a lot closer to the noise than you up the other end.  

Also if the opposition is up OUR end and HEARS the fervent support it's bound to have some negative psychological effect on them.
Even if we went 1 down that's partly what I think helped.

I do see your point though...
Tbh I couldn't always hear exactly what was being chanted and I was only a few rows away !  

But like to think it made a hell of a difference to the outcome though.
Cos as we already know, footballs often a game of fine margins.

Don't underestimate the effect of the drum or a few choice words to players in the corner too !  
Not that I did tbh but you could easily put off opposing attackers.
If S&H want a "hostile atmosphere" there's plenty of room for creativity in that department !  

Anyway perhaps this will mean more "join in" in the future and the "barmy army" (hopefully eventually the whole pontoon) move over to the right for more effect.

So think club/fans need to
a) move to the middle
b) realise there's a chance it's gonna spread like wildfire the more success and good matchday vibe it brings.  

Great job all not forgetting everyone else in the stand including the bald bloke with the glasses, is that marinerian ?!  

UTM
Reply: 20 - 84
ponnyfan
November 11, 2012, 6:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from 1600

Very rarely travel away too, think closest I've come to such passion was at Upton Park in the FACup when Brian Laws scored all those years ago.

Fair enough moosey but the players are sometimes a lot closer to the noise than you up the other end.  

Also if the opposition is up OUR end and HEARS the fervent support it's bound to have some negative psychological effect on them.

Tbh I couldn't always hear exactly what was being chanted and I was only a few rows away !  

Don't underestimate the effect of the drum or a few choice words to players in the corner too !  
If S&H want a "hostile atmosphere" there's plenty of room for creativity in that department !  

Anyway perhaps this will mean more "join in" in the future and the "barmy army" (hopefully eventually the whole pontoon) move over to the right for more effect.

a) move to the middle
b) realise there's a chance it's gonna spread like wildfire the more success and good matchday vibe it brings.  

Great job all not forgetting everyone else in the stand including the bald bloke with the glasses, is that marinerian ?!  

UTM
No Marinerian sits in the Findus now.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 84
Paris Mariner
November 11, 2012, 10:39am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
do have one thing o say about the Ponny cew - why do they throw their dummies out of the pram when some people in another stand start a chant? I've seen this several times home and away, somewhere else in the round a chant is started and the Pontoonites in the corner stat a different chant. Why? A lot of people join in with yours, play the game! Unity is the answer to a good atmosphere, not ultras style 'we'll sing this, you sing that'.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 84
jimgtfc
November 11, 2012, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 46
Just seen the highlights, one hell of a lot of empty seats in the pontoon. Not the imposing '12th man' it used to be. Need to start filling it to spur the lads on.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 84
November 11, 2012, 11:23am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

Apart from a couple of Maarrriineeerrs which reverberated around the ground very little could be heard. Also sat at the other end it does highlight how very few people actually sit in the pontoon now, i would doubt even a third full.

I sat in the Upper for the cup game and I also thought the pontoon sounded quiet.
Reply: 24 - 84
voice of reason
November 11, 2012, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1739

I sat in the Upper for the cup game and I also thought the pontoon sounded quiet.

The pontoon always sounds quiet, unless you're actually sat in there... Away fans must think the pontoon is full of mutes and people doing sign language because all you can see is finger pointing, you can't normally hear a peep out of them... (apart from the drum, of course)

Oh by the way, this isn't a dig at anyone, just a fact really... Guess it's down to the amount of people prepared to join in but also the acoustics of the pontoon...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 84
80sglory
November 11, 2012, 4:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from ponnyfan

Thanks Ponnyfan are you part of the noisy contingent yourself ?

VOR with all due respect if it's a problem or not working quite as well, then like everyone, come over to the Ponny and let's all make it 10 times better  

I would but I've normally got me old man in tow (or I'm in tow to him) and like to have a better overview of the game.

We need fans to be leaders on HERE thinking of every ways to create maximum effect + extra leaders on matchday to make the Ponny a place everyone wants to be and make it a nightmare for visiting teams to come to BP.
Reply: 26 - 84
GTFCchink
November 11, 2012, 5:47pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Okay guys, i read everyone thread and agree with them all.!

I was one half drumming (The Big One ) btw

Okay the drum does over loud the singing but thats because there is only like 25 of us singing through the game until last 10 mins, but the reason is there is sooo soo many little kids there that doesn't sing, It will sound alot better if we did move to the middle near the back, because it will echo the volume and bounce of the surface. Where we are sat now in the corner the volume just escapes to the side!

Since i started drumming 3 games back now (Gilly been working to much, so just temporary drumming atm till he comes back) I never stop because i want us to get behind the lads and give our full support because it will help us boost the players and get that promotion calling us!

Also Thanks for the support

Chink
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 84
GyMariner
November 11, 2012, 6:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +692
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from 1600

a) move to the middle

UTM

Hi again, and yeah thanks, most people in the ponny are actually decent lads around my age just wanting to create an atmosphere for their club, we're all really close up there and have a laugh.
About the noise, ive actually played a cup final on BP and you would be very very suprised on how much noise the players can hear, i could pick out single shouts from a 30man crowd pretty clearly, it just totally echos around you, so the crowd really helps in grimsbys motivation, so im sure a group of 50-100 lads could be heard very well.
I would really like to be positioned above the goal, but then you have issues with season ticket holders so i cant see everyone being moved successfully.

Believe it or not, but it's actually took me a couple of years to get as high as i was in the pontoon.

Anyway glad to meet you, seemed a very nice genuine guy!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 84
November 11, 2012, 6:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from ponnyfan

He was in the Osmond with me yesterday.
Reply: 29 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My first ever Ponny experience.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.