Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

s n h - got this horrible feeling...

This thread currently has 21,942 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
August 22, 2012, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I think it's a very plausible theory.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 99
Biccys
August 22, 2012, 10:55pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ginnywings
I think they are falling between two stools.

They are now at a full time professional club with the biggest budget they have ever had and like kids in a sweet shop, they are acquiring players left right and centre that they could only have dreamed of getting at their old clubs.

These players are at a higher skill level than previous players they have managed but they are still trying to play a style more suited to players with limited ability. They have had lots of success in the past with a direct style but i think our players now are not happy with that style. They want to play football and are being told to be direct, against their natural tendencies.

Someone told me last season that Disley wasn't happy with the ball constantly flying over his head but can only play as instructed. I have no proof of this but it sounds feasible to me.

They just look lost and when things are not going well, the natural reaction from players is just to get the ball as far away as they can, as quick as they can, so as not to incur the wrath of the managers/fans if they try something and it goes wrong.

Just a theory of mine.

You may well have hit the nail on the head!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 99
80sglory
August 22, 2012, 11:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
Part of the reason Town's defence did so well v Stockport for 80 odd minutes was the protection afforded to them(particularly down the middle) by Niven's execution of his role.

Perhaps but defence wasn't the problem vs Nuneaton was it ?

Quoted from barralad
I believe it was a huge mistake to leave him out of the starting line up on Saturday and can only assume that the managers didn't think he'd enough attacking qualities for a team needing to go all out attack against a team that had conceded nine goals in their opening two fixtures.  

So you don't you think Thanoj did well enough then ?
You can complain about Disley but he's the captain(another issue granted).
Whilst there certainly was debate about Disley pre-match, even posters like Tommy who called it right said dropping him would be done reluctantly because no-one could say he didn't do well in the first 2 games.

So in hindsight, who wouldn't have played ?
Sorry barralad but it's all too easy to sit on the fence before kick off and then complain after.
Reply: 72 - 99
kevikov
August 22, 2012, 11:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
I think they are falling between two stools.

They are now at a full time professional club with the biggest budget they have ever had and like kids in a sweet shop, they are acquiring players left right and centre that they could only have dreamed of getting at their old clubs.

These players are at a higher skill level than previous players they have managed but they are still trying to play a style more suited to players with limited ability. They have had lots of success in the past with a direct style but i think our players now are not happy with that style. They want to play football and are being told to be direct, against their natural tendencies.

Someone told me last season that Disley wasn't happy with the ball constantly flying over his head but can only play as instructed. I have no proof of this but it sounds feasible to me.

They just look lost and when things are not going well, the natural reaction from players is just to get the ball as far away as they can, as quick as they can, so as not to incur the wrath of the managers/fans if they try something and it goes wrong.

Just a theory of mine.

Bang on for me.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 99
mariner91
August 22, 2012, 11:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
What I can't understand is why they buy players who on paper and according to their previous teams appear to be quite talented and would suit a passing game if they are insisting on playing long ball. Are they really that stupid?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 99
kevikov
August 23, 2012, 12:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
What I can't understand is why they buy players who on paper and according to their previous teams appear to be quite talented and would suit a passing game if they are insisting on playing long ball. Are they really that stupid?!

Have they though? Thomas is suited to flying down the wing and either crossing it or creating an oppurtunity for soeone else to cross, Hatton coming from in from another successful side was known for his crossing and set pieces, cook - quintessential big man up top, colbeck to take on the fullback and get the cross in, also to shoot on sight. Niven is the break up guy, destroyer of opponents attacks.

Soares, g pearson, artus etc i agree with. much more ball to feet, time and space kind of players.

I think ginnywigs put it well, we've landed inbetween two destinations. Neither in longball town or passing city. No mans land.

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 99
mariner91
August 23, 2012, 12:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from kevikov

Have they though? Thomas is suited to flying down the wing and either crossing it or creating an oppurtunity for soeone else to cross, Hatton coming from in from another successful side was known for his crossing and set pieces, cook - quintessential big man up top, colbeck to take on the fullback and get the cross in, also to shoot on sight. Niven is the break up guy, destroyer of opponents attacks.

Soares, g pearson, artus etc i agree with. much more ball to feet, time and space kind of players.

I think ginnywigs put it well, we've landed inbetween two destinations. Neither in longball town or passing city. No mans land.

There's a difference between crossing and long ball though. They're not making the most out of the strengths that their new signings have, telling the full backs to lump it long from deep. If Hatton and Thomas are both good at crossing at getting forward, why not work on passing it simply into the midfield and getting the return higher up the pitch or overlapping the winger?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 99
GYinScuntland
August 23, 2012, 12:38am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think if you go back 10 years or more you will find we haven't really apppointed an experienced league manager with the exception of Buckley and Newell who had both been out of the game for some time.

The back 10 years keeps cropping up a lot on threads. Many times mates and I have said if we only went for the footy we would have stopped going 10 years ago.( The wives / girlfriends are no lookers so it gets us out the house )  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 99
grimsby pete
August 23, 2012, 6:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Maybe its all Parkers fault ???????

If he had waited untill Cooper had signed for us as our manager,

Instead of resigning himself just as Cooper was about to sign,

We might  be back in the league already,

I bet Cooper wished he had signed now, after what happened at Darlo.

If S + H turns things round great !!!!!

If not, whats Cooper doing now ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 99
kevikov
August 23, 2012, 11:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

There's a difference between crossing and long ball though. They're not making the most out of the strengths that their new signings have, telling the full backs to lump it long from deep. If Hatton and Thomas are both good at crossing at getting forward, why not work on passing it simply into the midfield and getting the return higher up the pitch or overlapping the winger?

I think thats exactly what S&H asked for on saturday, bringing thanoj in to try and use the space in midfield better and, at least for the first 15mins, we were passing it around the back four, looking for the oppurtunity to pass forward and create . Problem was lack of movement up top and a midfield overrun with nuneaton players. Slowly as we ran out of ideas and motivation, errors were made and players resorted to hoofing away, anywhere.

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.