Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

s n h - got this horrible feeling...

This thread currently has 21,915 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
August 22, 2012, 10:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
that we may be at the beginning of the end with them.
i was (am still trying to be ) one of their biggest supporters but i am just starting to get this sinking feeling that they have not been able to make the step up to become successful bsp managers. i hate to say it but i'd probably put a couple of quid on them not being here by the end of the season. i really hope i'm wrong but 3 points every 2 games is their record and that's abysmal compared to what they've achieved before
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
August 22, 2012, 10:08am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,643
Gold Stars: 226
I think you may be right.  I would think that we need to see serious improvement within the next seven games. If we are still struggling after ten games I wouldn't bet against them going.

If so, I suggest we hand first team affairs over to that recently appointed youth team coach.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 99
Super Clive
August 22, 2012, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Doubt it dave Moore will be put in charge for about 3 months until fenty appoints his 14th choice!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 99
RoboCod
August 22, 2012, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Buckley assisted by Rodger; finding the new generation of Butler, Heywood, Hope and Boshell's.........

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 99
BlackBoots
August 22, 2012, 10:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
I agree with the opening poster. Badly want them to succeed but cannot see enough signs of progress.

I dont think for one moment that AB will take over and i honestly dont know who we should go for. We have tried experienced, previously succesful, promoting from within and young and up 'n' coming with no change in results.

Need someone with experience but still hungry enough to need to success, who has also achieved promotion, preferably from this division
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 99
jonnyboy82
August 22, 2012, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from forza ivano
i was (am still trying to be ) one of their biggest supporters but i am just starting to get this sinking feeling that they have not been able to make the step up to become successful bsp managers. i hate to say it but i'd probably put a couple of quid on them not being here by the end of the season. i really hope i'm wrong but 3 points every 2 games is their record and that's abysmal compared to what they've achieved before

Lee peacock on twitter says they have the worst man management skills he has  ever seen in 20 years in football..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 99
Longmariner
August 22, 2012, 10:34am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
I am still giving 100% support to Scott and Hurst to bring us success. I have never been one for jumping on the bandwagon. They need are support and they will get it from me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 99
denni266
August 22, 2012, 10:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
I think s&h have got  some good players here  and have got the team very fit,,  but that seems to be where it ends. There coaching and game plans seem to be very limited,  in fact at the moment they dont seem to know what direction to go in . 442. 433  etc. . we have better players  than when woods was in charge,, but have not progressed, and at the end of the day  that is down to whoever is the manager/s. One thing is for sure,, we wont have liams goals this season, and that is a big blow ..  at the moment i am not looking how far off the top we finish  its how far off the bottom am watching ...and for them that say we will never go down,, remember how far we have fallen, and how many times we have thought  we wont go down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 99
barralad
August 22, 2012, 10:42am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
I have no desire to jump on the bandwagon either but I posted some time ago that compared to the pressure they would be under now last season was a picnic. I must confess that I didn't expect it to happen so early in the season.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 99
Alfie
August 22, 2012, 10:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
They won't see out September.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 99
jonnyboy82
August 22, 2012, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Alfie
They won't see out September.

I think the same..

Lets be honest it is all about progression and truthfully has there been any?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 99
Alfie
August 22, 2012, 10:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I think the same..

Lets be honest it is all about progression and truthfully has there been any?

Absolutely none.
You could argue we took baby steps last season but there is no doubt in my mind that we've only weakened this season.

I was their biggest advocate when they initially came but it appears they wouldn't spot a good player if he slapped them in the face (Coulson, for one).
They came promising organisation, hunger and a strong "up in your face" mentality. I just see a weak minded, timid team with no direction other than to kick the ball hard and high.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 99
jonnyboy82
August 22, 2012, 11:01am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Alfie

Absolutely none.
You could argue we took baby steps last season but there is no doubt in my mind that we've only weakened this season.

I was their biggest advocate when they initially came but it appears they wouldn't spot a good player if he slapped them in the face (Coulson, for one).
They came promising organisation, hunger and a strong "up in your face" mentality. I just see a weak minded, timid team with no direction other than to kick the ball hard and high.

Spot on..

I honestly can't see anything that they have improved since they took over..

They bought Liam hearn and that is the only plus they get from me.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 99
Garth
August 22, 2012, 11:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
We will see in the next few games, although the tea leaves don`t look good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 99
Marinerz93
August 22, 2012, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from BlackBoots
I agree with the opening poster. Badly want them to succeed but cannot see enough signs of progress.

I dont think for one moment that AB will take over and i honestly dont know who we should go for. We have tried experienced, previously succesful, promoting from within and young and up 'n' coming with no change in results.

Need someone with experience but still hungry enough to need to success, who has also achieved promotion, preferably from this division

Great post and sums up exactly were my thoughts are.  I want these managers to succeed and I want the players to believe in their own abilities and show it.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 99
forza ivano
August 22, 2012, 11:10am

Exile
the thing is that they've done the right things - they've brought in successful, bsp premier players - hatton,thomas, soares, cook, miller and have others like elding and pearson who know what this division is all about.players like wood,pearson and hearn all have a season's bsp experience under their belts they're fitter, younger and hungrier (there's no lack of effort) than woods' no- hopers. all the ingredients are there but they're just  not getting the recipe right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 99
Chrisblor
August 22, 2012, 11:15am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Lee peacock on twitter says they have the worst man management skills he has  ever seen in 20 years in football..

It's not surprising he's bitter since they were the ones who released him - which was the right decision given that, even for all his effort, he was hopelessly ineffective during his final season with Town.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 99
Marinerz93
August 22, 2012, 11:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
the thing is that they've done the right things - they've brought in successful, bsp premier players - hatton,thomas, soares, cook, miller and have others like elding and pearson who know what this division is all about.players like wood,pearson and hearn all have a season's bsp experience under their belts they're fitter, younger and hungrier (there's no lack of effort) than woods' no- hopers. all the ingredients are there but they're just  not getting the recipe right

We are missing two very influential players in Miller and Liam  but I don't see the midfield sorted, certainly not the middle.  We do though I agree have the makings of a side that is more than capable of getting into the play off's.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 99
forza ivano
August 22, 2012, 11:18am

Exile
Quoted from Marinerz93

We are missing two very influential players in Miller and Liam  but I don't see the midfield sorted, certainly not the middle.  We do though I agree have the makings of a side that is more than capable of getting into the play off's.

i haven't seen them this season so can't comment , but there's a case in point - niven looks like exactly the sort of player we've needed for about 10 seasons yet he now appears to have been dropped after being underwhelming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 99
Garth
August 22, 2012, 11:20am

Season Ticket Holder
We do have some decent players on the books now for sure, but for some reason they do not seem organised as a team and I`m afraid for this the buck has to stop at the manager`s door, I`m wondering if the money will be made available for a wide left player and a midfield playmaker in the present situation or whether it will be held back for a new manager should that be the case.
Just like to add that I hope they can turn it around soon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 99
arryarryarry
August 22, 2012, 11:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from forza ivano

The first half at Southport and both home games?

You are surely having a laugh.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 99
kevikov
August 22, 2012, 11:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 13
I think fitness and squad quality are there, its the tactics (or lack of sometimes) and motivation that are lacking. I'm probably wrong but i get the impression that the players aren't happy playing constant direct football but maybe aren't being coached to play passing build up stuff for when they're asked to play it. It seems we are to play this style against such and such team and another style against another team, i really would prefer us to have our style and stick to it, let other teams adjust their style to us. There weren't many admirers of slades direct hoofball but it was reasonably successful when the players committed to it. I just don't think our squad, through the managers direction, have committed to any particular style and as such are "lost" come kick off or when games are stagnating a little. With hearn out for a fair stretch and 2 points from 9 so far, i can understand the gentle rumblings but the seasons way from over and stranger things have happened. Oddly enough i feel more confident with this years squad to cope without hearn.

Too early for the sack, too early to be thinking about the sack. The right time to support the squad to pick up their mojos and rip wrexham apart!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 99
Marinerz93
August 22, 2012, 11:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
For me there is no one vocal enough in the squad to drive the players on, Disley is not captain material, we don't have a midfield general.  Niven from what I have seen is slightly better than Church but I am sure he can play miles better than that.  

Some of us have managed/played at a low level but even at that low level you have someone organising players letting other players know about possible runners and making sure any over lapping play can be cut off.  

The support play also lacks direction, too few players pushing up and supporting or making runs for extra options.  We got a triangle going against Stockport that turned them inside out (this was up towards the Osmond/Findus stands).  That movement was sweet and it got you wanting more, it worked brilliantly but it was never tried again and it seems as the game went on the players became too jaded to stand up against what was poor opposition in Stockport.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 99
kevikov
August 22, 2012, 11:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
For me there is no one vocal enough in the squad to drive the players on, Disley is not captain material, we don't have a midfield general.  Niven from what I have seen is slightly better than Church but I am sure he can play miles better than that.  

Some of us have managed/played at a low level but even at that low level you have someone organising players letting other players know about possible runners and making sure any over lapping play can be cut off.  

The support play also lacks direction, too few players pushing up and supporting or making runs for extra options.  We got a triangle going against Stockport that turned them inside out (this was up towards the Osmond/Findus stands).  That movement was sweet and it got you wanting more, it worked brilliantly but it was never tried again and it seems as the game went on the players became too jaded to stand up against what was poor opposition in Stockport.

Aye, defo need someone to drive the team on and orchestrate the dynamic better. On the fence where disley is concerned, some players lead by example more than screaming and shouting, odd that RS picks a quiet character for his captain though!

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 99
jonnyboy82
August 22, 2012, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

It's not surprising he's bitter since they were the ones who released him - which was the right decision given that, even for all his effort, he was hopelessly ineffective during his final season with Town.

But he might be speaking the truth too.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 99
RoboCod
August 22, 2012, 11:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Spot on. Church wasn't up to it buy he had made a large step upwards. Niven is supposed to come with a fine pedigree, as was Disley, but the damned midfield seems to be unfixable. Also there was one moment of great play against Nuneaton when Soares and Thomas combined down the left and resulted in a great cross. Cook will show little until he's getting that type of service. That movement was what I was expecting from the go, all of the time. Which leaves you questioning why Soares managed to grab a hatful of goals at his former club and why Thomas isn't tearing up the ground like he did (against us particularly) for Braintree.
The shape is wrong and, as pointed out in other posts, there seemed no desire to find it and stick with in the pre-season games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 99
Marinerz93
August 22, 2012, 11:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kevikov

Aye, defo need someone to drive the team on and orchestrate the dynamic better. On the fence where disley is concerned, some players lead by example more than screaming and shouting, odd that RS picks a quiet character for his captain though!

But your captain also gee's players up when they are dropping or not performing, screaming no, shouting yes, especially encouragement.  Some players ie Bore / Till may start bright but disappear, these type of players always need someone on their case, especially if they are on the opposite side of the pitch as the managers.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 99
BlackBoots
August 22, 2012, 11:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

The first half at Southport and both home games?

You are surely having a laugh.

Think the poster made a valid point. There is effort, just no structure, style, tactics or teamwork
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 99
barralad
August 22, 2012, 12:00pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from RoboCod

Spot on. Church wasn't up to it buy he had made a large step upwards. Niven is supposed to come with a fine pedigree, as was Disley, but the damned midfield seems to be unfixable. Also there was one moment of great play against Nuneaton when Soares and Thomas combined down the left and resulted in a great cross. Cook will show little until he's getting that type of service. That movement was what I was expecting from the go, all of the time. Which leaves you questioning why Soares managed to grab a hatful of goals at his former club and why Thomas isn't tearing up the ground like he did (against us particularly) for Braintree.
The shape is wrong and, as pointed out in other posts, there seemed no desire to find it and stick with in the pre-season games.

This is a very good post. The only thing I'd disagree about is the midfield area. Whereas I've been seriously questioning what the likes of Colbeck, Cook and G Pearson bring to the table I think that Niven has shown that he is very capable at this level. I'm as sure as I can be that he won't score double figures in goals but I guess he just isn't that sort of player. Part of the reason Town's defence did so well v Stockport for 80 odd minutes was the protection afforded to them(particularly down the middle) by Niven's execution of his role. I believe it was a huge mistake to leave him out of the starting line up on Saturday and can only assume that the managers didn't think he'd enough attacking qualities for a team needing to go all out attack against a team that had conceded nine goals in their opening two fixtures.  

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 99
arryarryarry
August 22, 2012, 12:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BlackBoots

I dont think for one moment that AB will take over and i honestly dont know who we should go for. We have tried experienced , previously succesful, promoting from within and young and up 'n' coming with no change in results.

I think if you go back 10 years or more you will find we haven't really apppointed an experienced league manager with the exception of Buckley and Newell who had both been out of the game for some time.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 99
BlackBoots
August 22, 2012, 12:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think if you go back 10 years or more you will find we haven't really apppointed an experienced league manager with the exception of Buckley and Newell who had both been out of the game for some time.

A bit contradictory imo.

If Buckley couldnt be classed as experienced then nobody will ever fall into that catorgory!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 99
RoboCod
August 22, 2012, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

This is a very good post. The only thing I'd disagree about is the midfield area. Whereas I've been seriously questioning what the likes of Colbeck, Cook and G Pearson bring to the table I think that Niven has shown that he is very capable at this level. I'm as sure as I can be that he won't score double figures in goals but I guess he just isn't that sort of player. Part of the reason Town's defence did so well v Stockport for 80 odd minutes was the protection afforded to them(particularly down the middle) by Niven's execution of his role. I believe it was a huge mistake to leave him out of the starting line up on Saturday and can only assume that the managers didn't think he'd enough attacking qualities for a team needing to go all out attack against a team that had conceded nine goals in their opening two fixtures.  

Actually I'm behind you with that analysis. I'm on a bit of a downer with Disley at the moment but Niven is one player who surely deserves the much derided but necessary settling in period. Dropping him was a clanger I believe, I'd personally prefer the option of starting with Niven and have a some kind of Plan B if things aren't right rather than sticking him onto the bench and hoping some vague backup plan forms in the managements mind during the game, as seemed to happen on Saturday. Buckleys midfield choice picked themselves, I think we need a tough midfield 'general' in a similar fashion, first name on the team sheet and all that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 99
AndyGTFC
August 22, 2012, 12:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Personally, I think they can spot a player. Most of their signings have been highly rated when we've signed them and most of them have done well in this league before. I think it might be actually managing these players and getting the best out of them is the problem.

I like Rob Scott's passion and obviously I'm not in the dressing room so I don't know exactly what he is like but I think the days are gone where you can shout and bawl all the time and get players on your side.

Nevertheless, they deserve a bit more time than three games to get it right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 99
forza ivano
August 22, 2012, 12:24pm

Exile
Quoted from arryarryarry

don't agree with much you post but this true. maybe the next boss should be a justin edinburgh/liam watson/ nicky law type (ie experienced and currently working at our level)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 99
roundballovalhole
August 22, 2012, 12:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from Longmariner
I am still giving 100% support to Scott and Hurst to bring us success. I have never been one for jumping on the bandwagon. They need are support and they will get it from me.

So they have the supp ort of a bloke who can't understand the difference between 'are' and 'our'

Nuff said!
Reply: 34 - 99
roundballovalhole
August 22, 2012, 12:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from AndyGTFC
I think they can spot a player. Most of their signings have been highly rated when we've signed them and most of them have done well in this league before. I think it might be actually managing these players and getting the best out of them is the problem.

I like Rob Scott's passion and obviously I'm not in the dressing room so I don't know exactly what he is like but I think the days are gone where you can shout and bawl all the time and get players on your side.

Why do people confuse Rob's anger management problems with passion?

Using foul and abusive language in front of men, women and children at bp would bring most people to the attention of pc dodds ffs

Reply: 35 - 99
Codzilla
August 22, 2012, 12:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
It's a shame as I really did think these would come and sort us out. I don't think anyone would be able to get us back into the league and stop our decline. So many different managers and players and nothing ever changes (apart from Slade)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 99
luda169
August 22, 2012, 12:33pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from RoboCod

Spot on. Church wasn't up to it buy he had made a large step upwards. Niven is supposed to come with a fine pedigree, as was Disley, but the damned midfield seems to be fixable. Also there was one moment of great play against Nuneaton when Soares and Thomas combined down the left and resulted in a great cross. Cook will show little until he's getting that type of service. That movement was what I was expecting from the go, all of the time. Which leaves you questioning why Soares managed to grab a hatful of goals at his former club and why Thomas isn't tearing up the ground like he did (against us particularly) for Braintree.

good post imho the midfield needs a yard dog type player like Caldecott and the captain is the wrong bloke he is not vocal enough there is Eldin with more shout and go about him also my confidence in S&H is quickly diminishing.utm.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 99
Maringer
August 22, 2012, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Chrisblor

You're being generous there - Peacock was hopelessly ineffective during all of his time at Blundell Park. In his final season, he barely broke into a sweat until after Christmas when he started looking for a new contract. Extremely poor indeed.

That said, I'm not denying he might be correct about Shorty and Shouty's man management not being suitable for the modern era.

Unfortunately, the days where players could be cowed into knuckling down and performing well seem to have gone so the likes of Clough and Buckley couldn't manage successfully these days. Remember how Buckley Mk. III was at a complete loss as to what to do with the players at times?

The surprising thing is that none of the players seem to have much in the way of character about them so aren't embarrassed to put in half-arsed performances. You'd think that effort should surely be the least that can be expected from professional footballers, but apparently not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 99
kingster72
August 22, 2012, 1:13pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Disley was the problem in midfield last season and should be dropped!  We only did well last year with Manny Panther doing the simple things.  Niven is a great addition and pair him with Thanoj, should be far more effective.  Disley should NOT be skipper, or starting, brings nothing to the table for me, just a very lacklusture & inconsistant type, worse than Boshell & Jamie Clarke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 99
porkies
August 22, 2012, 1:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Familiarity can breed contempt. It's one thing meeting up with a lady for a couple of evenings a week ... and on Saturday afternoons; quite another being with her every day! Maybe the style which worked for them in part-time football doesn't work in the full-time context? As for the lack of assertive players, it strikes me that alpha-male characters like Scott don't usually like players who challenge them. Possibly the problem with Lee Peacock, who didn't give the impression of being a yes-man? Effectively S&H have aleady had 3 bites of the cherry [well 2 and a bit] because they had a go with Woods's lot, then their own players last season, now this years reincarnation. Same result. If they are sacked we then have the scenario where another manager will come in and say ;'This is not my team. Judge me next season.' And so it goes on!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 99
luda169
August 22, 2012, 1:43pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from Codzilla
It's a shame as I really did think these would come and sort us out. I don't think anyone would be able to get us back into the league and stop our decline. So many different managers and players and nothing ever changes (apart from Slade)

yes I agree perhaps if big John had brought in Slade things might have been different myself  I would have excepted the long ball games just to get out of this cesspit of a league with its doggy officials.utm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 99
arryarryarry
August 22, 2012, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BlackBoots

A bit contradictory imo.

If Buckley couldnt be classed as experienced then nobody will ever fall into that catorgory!!!

Doh, I said with the exception of Buckley and Newell, come on keep up.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 99
arryarryarry
August 22, 2012, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kingster72
Disley was the problem in midfield last season and should be dropped!  We only did well last year with Manny Panther doing the simple things.  Niven is a great addition and pair him with Thanoj, should be far more effective.  Disley should NOT be skipper, or starting, brings nothing to the table for me, just a very lacklusture & inconsistant type, worse than Boshell & Jamie Clarke.

Well done most stupid quote of the century
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 99
marinette
August 22, 2012, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from forza ivano

It won't break my heart if these two get the chop, but I think I'd prefer them to have a bit more of a chance.  I could try and rationalise it with arguments and comparisons but I'm not going to - it's just my gut feeling that they probably need more time.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 99
forza ivano
August 22, 2012, 2:05pm

Exile
Quoted from marinette

It won't break my heart if these two get the chop, but I think I'd prefer them to have a bit more of a chance.  I could try and rationalise it with arguments and comparisons but I'm not going to - it's just my gut feeling that they probably need more time.

i'm sure they will get it ;it's just on this present form and with the upcoming fixtures people are getting twitchy because it's easy to foresee us being amongst the relegation fodder come october.
and personally ,with disappointing performance after disappointing performance, i'm less and less convinced that they are quite up to the job
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 99
voice of reason
August 22, 2012, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Personally, I think they can spot a player. Most of their signings have been highly rated when we've signed them and most of them have done well in this league before. I think it might be actually managing these players and getting the best out of them is the problem.

FFS, this line again... Do you think they was only appointed at the start of the season? They've had more than 3 games, they've had 3 squads to work with, 2 of which was mostly their own signings and nothing has changed from day one...

We still don't communicate well enough
We are still scared to play at home
The players performances continue to find new depths of woefulness
We still have a poor midfield
We still have no real creativity

The above are comments the manager's have used when they arrived and also recently, so what have they done in their MORE than 3 games...??? Even more worrying, the managers still cannot say why the above things are happening, hnce no sign of things changing any time soon...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 99
STB
August 22, 2012, 2:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Maybe its because other teams are better than us.
I genuinely think that if we appointed Sir Alex and all of the Man U squad, someone at BP would find a way to fook it up so we finished just outside the playoffs.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 99
mariner91
August 22, 2012, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,590
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from porkies
Familiarity can breed contempt. It's one thing meeting up with a lady for a couple of evenings a week ... and on Saturday afternoons; quite another being with her every day! Maybe the style which worked for them in part-time football doesn't work in the full-time context? As for the lack of assertive players, it strikes me that alpha-male characters like Scott don't usually like players who challenge them. Possibly the problem with Lee Peacock, who didn't give the impression of being a yes-man? Effectively S&H have aleady had 3 bites of the cherry [well 2 and a bit] because they had a go with Woods's lot, then their own players last season, now this years reincarnation. Same result. If they are sacked we then have the scenario where another manager will come in and say ;'This is not my team. Judge me next season.' And so it goes on!

Very interesting hypothesis and one I'd not even considered before. I know a couple of players who played under them at Boston and they both told me how great they were etc. But is this because if Scott lost his temper they didn't have to see him for a couple of days and by then he'd have calmed down and it would have been forgotten about.? Whereas if they see him every day, the bad feeling grows over time? I certainly get the impression that if you had to see Scott every day, you'd soon get sick of him...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 99
Garth
August 22, 2012, 4:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from 1054

So they have the supp ort of a bloke who can't understand the difference between 'are' and 'our'

Nuff said!

What the hell was that all about, the guy can still be a loyal supporter even if he makes the odd mistake
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 99
Rodley Mariner
August 22, 2012, 4:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
The thing I find depressing is I don't really care what happens - sack them, keep them I'm just not that bothered and that's increasingly how I feel about the club for the first time in nearly 30 years of supporting them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 99
Garth
August 22, 2012, 4:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
The thing I find depressing is I don't really care what happens - sack them, keep them I'm just not that bothered and that's increasingly how I feel about the club for the first time in nearly 30 years of supporting them.

I  know how you feel, keep the faith mate its all in the hands of the gods
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 99
Marinerz93
August 22, 2012, 4:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinette

Your gut feeling was right about not Neweel so you get my vote  

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 99
Dan
August 22, 2012, 5:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551

Yep. This basically. Cast of the shackles of the football club you had no choice in supporting and there's actually a wealth of decent sports out there that also provide entertainment.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 99
AndyGTFC
August 22, 2012, 5:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from voice of reason

FFS, this line again... Do you think they was only appointed at the start of the season? They've had more than 3 games, they've had 3 squads to work with, 2 of which was mostly their own signings and nothing has changed from day one...

We still don't communicate well enough
We are still scared to play at home
The players performances continue to find new depths of woefulness
We still have a poor midfield
We still have no real creativity

The above are comments the manager's have used when they arrived and also recently, so what have they done in their MORE than 3 games...??? Even more worrying, the managers still cannot say why the above things are happening, hnce no sign of things changing any time soon...

Yeah, we've looked absolutely terrible over the last couple of games but out only a few months ago, we were scoring a hatful of goals at home, went on a long unbeaten run and everything was hunky dory. Just for that, I'd give the managers longer than three games this season to put it right.

They haven't improved us on a consistent basis, I agree with that but I still maintain that you cannot judge the team they've put together this season on three games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 99
Mrs Doyle
August 22, 2012, 5:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I still think we are not giving the two a fair chance they have proved they can get results at this level it is a working progress. It is still ridiculously early to call for heads yet, they have chosen a squad of players that I think have potential. Using an ex players comment is invalid because he was surplus to requirements and felt let down but that is part and parcel of being a Pro Football player.

I say give them until Christmas at least,look Boston felt aggrieved enough to take us to court over these that's how much they thought of losing them, don't forget they are learning as well.

Some people on here want instant success it ain't going to happen, just because we are a bigger fish in this league means nothing. Too many so called experts on here IMHO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 99
mariner91
August 22, 2012, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Same as much as it pains me to say it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 99
lowerfindus
August 22, 2012, 5:41pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Get rid of these two and get someone in who has a game plan and some tactics. I'm fed up of watching sh1te football. The decisions they have made have set us back another year.

Our midfield problems have not been addressed. Are Disley and niven really that different to cummins and Hudson? Colbeck seems to be the white serge makofo. Pearson is the new Spencer, contract cancelled in time for Christmas.  Hatton is a taller silk. Where is the improvement? THERE IS NONE.

They don't seem to be learning how to deal with preseason, the fans, the Blundell Park atmosphere, Midfield, team shape.. Sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. you cant argue they haven't been successful at a lower level as they have but they seem to have hit the wall here.

Having stood and listen to these two at North Ferriby United in preseason it just showed me that my worries are just. They constantly talked and moaned about the ball into the front players and the runs they where making. They had blinkers that seemed to miss out midfield (like the team do) as the next ones to get talked about were the fullbacks. Their crime? Not getting balls up to the front man quickly enough.

We will never get any decent football to watch while they are here. Atleast Slade knew how to play long ball football, signed the appropriate players and then drilled it into the team. It feels like running and fitness is everything to these two when in reality it takes a lot more that fit players to make a successful team.

The Rob Scott school of half time team talks (see N.Ferriby away last season)and match day pantomime villain touch line performances definitely is unacceptable and I wish someone would take him to task for it. Its not passion, it's being a moron.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 99
wigworld
August 22, 2012, 5:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Can the club even afford to sack them? How much would six months salary cost? (I think that's the terms of their contract).

(And I'm not suggesting that's the way forward, just wondering).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 99
Rodley Mariner
August 22, 2012, 5:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from wigworld
Can the club even afford to sack them? How much would six months salary cost? (I think that's the terms of their contract).

I think for that reason and for the fact the squad is now made up of 'their' players we should probably just them them have the rest of this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 99
psgmariner
August 22, 2012, 5:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
If we beat wrexham it will all be back to normal.

3 games in and we are all wallowing in self pity and taking the time to type on a gtfc message board how little we care.

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 99
aldi_01
August 22, 2012, 5:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I do wonder why people do that too...if you don't care about moms thing why would you waste time whining on here, twitter etc...

The fact is, one of the reasons we've been shite the last few years is a lack of consistency and a chairman and a set a fans if the truth be told that panic if we don't win every game, even last year when we were doing well people moaned...

I wonder if Mansfield fans are sat wallowing in self pity and thinking about sacking their manager etc...

And as for Buckley, so what if he can get the team playing football, he's copulated when it comes to signing players...Matthew Haywood anyone? Richard hope?...need I say more. Get your heads out your arses and move on"if fenty does shoot his gun too early again then another new face is needed, not Arnold face withfew ideas and clearly a lack of knowledge of the transfer system...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 99
Rodley Mariner
August 22, 2012, 6:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I do wonder why people do that too...if you don't care about moms thing why would you waste time whining on here, twitter etc...

I'm interested, I want us to do well. I'm still pleased when we win and cheesed off when we lose but at the moment I don't care whether we sack the managers or not as I don't think it'll make any difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 99
mariner91
August 22, 2012, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
If we beat wrexham it will all be back to normal.

3 games in and we are all wallowing in self pity and taking the time to type on a gtfc message board how little we care.

Of course everyone on here cares but in the past I used to think that decisions such as sacking the manager would make a difference to how good we are or not. Nowadays I just feel like we'll forever be shite no matter what.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 99
marinette
August 22, 2012, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Your gut feeling was right about not Neweel so you get my vote  

No pressure then!     

I've no strong feelings either way about the managers (for once) but I think I would at least like to see them have a go at moulding all these new players they've brought in, before we have yet another upheaval and another crowd of new faces.  I'd like to see what the players can do (and hopefully it's better than what I saw last week) before the merry-go-round starts spinning out of control and it's all change yet again.  One doesn't have time to catch one's breath these days, does one?  

PS  Aldi, I might well wish I hadn't asked, but who is Arnold face?

Private Message
Reply: 64 - 99
TownSNAFU5
August 22, 2012, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,872
Gold Stars: 42
A very good thread this with some well-reasoned, sensible posts.

The managers have had some good "player resources" to work with.  This includes supposedly good players with pedigree.  Cook and Soares also scored plenty of goals last season.  Overall, this quad is better than most of our rivals.  Or rather (the crux) they "should" be better. Better on paper but not on grass.

Molding these different players into a winning team is the managers job.  The evidence of Sat showed that they are falling woefully short. I do not not why.   A quick fix is needed before everybodies patience wears out and changes are made.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 99
Marinerz93
August 22, 2012, 8:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinette

No pressure then!     

I've no strong feelings either way about the managers (for once) but I think I would at least like to see them have a go at moulding all these new players they've brought in, before we have yet another upheaval and another crowd of new faces.  I'd like to see what the players can do (and hopefully it's better than what I saw last week) before the merry-go-round starts spinning out of control and it's all change yet again.  One doesn't have time to catch one's breath these days, does one?  

PS  Aldi, I might well wish I hadn't asked, but who is Arnold face?

I really want H&S to succeed too but I am more shocked at the lack of everything they said their teams would do.  The Stockport game reminded me so much of the first half of our relegation season and I guess H&S don't realise that.  It seems others are subconscious of that too and that's why we have had a turn of anger from the fans.

They need to get some points on the board and put in some very gritty performances.

Private Message
Reply: 66 - 99
rancido
August 22, 2012, 8:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A very good thread this with some well-reasoned, sensible posts.

The managers have had some good "player resources" to work with.  This includes supposedly good players with pedigree.  Cook and Soares also scored plenty of goals last season.  Overall, this quad is better than most of our rivals.  Or rather (the crux) they "should" be better. Better on paper but not on grass.

Molding these different players into a winning team is the managers job.  The evidence of Sat showed that they are falling woefully short. I do not not why.   A quick fix is needed before everybodies patience wears out and changes are made.

You make some very good points but is there such a thing as a "quick fix" in the football world ? I don't think for one second that The Dynamic Duo send out a team of players to blatently under perform , which is what happened on Saturday. I just get the impression that , for whatever reason , when the team stepped out on the park they completely forgot what instructions they had been given for the game. I don't know what the answer is but if we do sack these two who will want to come here with our track record of sacking managers who don't succeed within 12 to 18 months? Don't forget that we only appointed these two because the 4 preferred candidates turned us down.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 99
chaos33
August 22, 2012, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 357
I think that's a fair summing up SNAFU. I really do think that there is one man at the centre of our problems and he faces two choices - change or leave. Only good results can conceal that issue and it'll need confronting pretty soon. As you say, in a short while, everyone's patience will run out and there will be ugly scenes that will tarnish the club's credibility (just like falling out with interviewers, ranting at the crowd and your own players does). We really need to find a solution with these two (or try to asses if it would be possible to keep Hurst) because I'm also of the opinion that yet another sacking/changeover will set us back even further, and I already feel that we're almost back at 'square one' at this level. Only good results can prevent some more upheaval - it's possibly a little cruel that our forthcoming 2 games look very tough indeed (as does the month of September generally), on paper at least. Obviously the loss of Liam Hearn compounds that and means we might find it even tougher to be in some sort of contention - the bare minimum that this club should be setting as its objective.

I agree with others who have said that our squad looks strong, and we should be doing much better. What I want to see, and I think most people do too, is some sort of method to our play instead of hope-for-the-best, slow-paced, faltering, error-prone football. I also think the Chairman needs to think again before he blames the fans, and looks closer to home. There should be people at the club assessing the situation and their own attitudes in detail because we need quicker evolution; only then might we start to show some improvements. It had better happen very quickly - if it doesn't, there'll be tantrums, sackings, abuse and crippling attendance depreciation.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 99
ginnywings
August 22, 2012, 9:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I think they are falling between two stools.

They are now at a full time professional club with the biggest budget they have ever had and like kids in a sweet shop, they are acquiring players left right and centre that they could only have dreamed of getting at their old clubs.

These players are at a higher skill level than previous players they have managed but they are still trying to play a style more suited to players with limited ability. They have had lots of success in the past with a direct style but i think our players now are not happy with that style. They want to play football and are being told to be direct, against their natural tendencies.

Someone told me last season that Disley wasn't happy with the ball constantly flying over his head but can only play as instructed. I have no proof of this but it sounds feasible to me.

They just look lost and when things are not going well, the natural reaction from players is just to get the ball as far away as they can, as quick as they can, so as not to incur the wrath of the managers/fans if they try something and it goes wrong.

Just a theory of mine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 99
chaos33
August 22, 2012, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 357
I think it's a very plausible theory.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 99
Biccys
August 22, 2012, 10:55pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

They are now at a full time professional club with the biggest budget they have ever had and like kids in a sweet shop, they are acquiring players left right and centre that they could only have dreamed of getting at their old clubs.

These players are at a higher skill level than previous players they have managed but they are still trying to play a style more suited to players with limited ability. They have had lots of success in the past with a direct style but i think our players now are not happy with that style. They want to play football and are being told to be direct, against their natural tendencies.

Someone told me last season that Disley wasn't happy with the ball constantly flying over his head but can only play as instructed. I have no proof of this but it sounds feasible to me.

They just look lost and when things are not going well, the natural reaction from players is just to get the ball as far away as they can, as quick as they can, so as not to incur the wrath of the managers/fans if they try something and it goes wrong.

Just a theory of mine.

You may well have hit the nail on the head!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 99
80sglory
August 22, 2012, 11:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
Part of the reason Town's defence did so well v Stockport for 80 odd minutes was the protection afforded to them(particularly down the middle) by Niven's execution of his role.

Perhaps but defence wasn't the problem vs Nuneaton was it ?

Quoted from barralad
I believe it was a huge mistake to leave him out of the starting line up on Saturday and can only assume that the managers didn't think he'd enough attacking qualities for a team needing to go all out attack against a team that had conceded nine goals in their opening two fixtures.  

So you don't you think Thanoj did well enough then ?
You can complain about Disley but he's the captain(another issue granted).
Whilst there certainly was debate about Disley pre-match, even posters like Tommy who called it right said dropping him would be done reluctantly because no-one could say he didn't do well in the first 2 games.

So in hindsight, who wouldn't have played ?
Sorry barralad but it's all too easy to sit on the fence before kick off and then complain after.
Reply: 72 - 99
kevikov
August 22, 2012, 11:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Just a theory of mine.

Bang on for me.

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 99
mariner91
August 22, 2012, 11:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
What I can't understand is why they buy players who on paper and according to their previous teams appear to be quite talented and would suit a passing game if they are insisting on playing long ball. Are they really that stupid?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 99
kevikov
August 23, 2012, 12:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
What I can't understand is why they buy players who on paper and according to their previous teams appear to be quite talented and would suit a passing game if they are insisting on playing long ball. Are they really that stupid?!

Have they though? Thomas is suited to flying down the wing and either crossing it or creating an oppurtunity for soeone else to cross, Hatton coming from in from another successful side was known for his crossing and set pieces, cook - quintessential big man up top, colbeck to take on the fullback and get the cross in, also to shoot on sight. Niven is the break up guy, destroyer of opponents attacks.

Soares, g pearson, artus etc i agree with. much more ball to feet, time and space kind of players.

I think ginnywigs put it well, we've landed inbetween two destinations. Neither in longball town or passing city. No mans land.

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 99
mariner91
August 23, 2012, 12:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kevikov

Have they though? Thomas is suited to flying down the wing and either crossing it or creating an oppurtunity for soeone else to cross, Hatton coming from in from another successful side was known for his crossing and set pieces, cook - quintessential big man up top, colbeck to take on the fullback and get the cross in, also to shoot on sight. Niven is the break up guy, destroyer of opponents attacks.

Soares, g pearson, artus etc i agree with. much more ball to feet, time and space kind of players.

I think ginnywigs put it well, we've landed inbetween two destinations. Neither in longball town or passing city. No mans land.

There's a difference between crossing and long ball though. They're not making the most out of the strengths that their new signings have, telling the full backs to lump it long from deep. If Hatton and Thomas are both good at crossing at getting forward, why not work on passing it simply into the midfield and getting the return higher up the pitch or overlapping the winger?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 99
GYinScuntland
August 23, 2012, 12:38am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from arryarryarry

The back 10 years keeps cropping up a lot on threads. Many times mates and I have said if we only went for the footy we would have stopped going 10 years ago.( The wives / girlfriends are no lookers so it gets us out the house )  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 99
grimsby pete
August 23, 2012, 6:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Maybe its all Parkers fault ???????

If he had waited untill Cooper had signed for us as our manager,

Instead of resigning himself just as Cooper was about to sign,

We might  be back in the league already,

I bet Cooper wished he had signed now, after what happened at Darlo.

If S + H turns things round great !!!!!

If not, whats Cooper doing now ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 99
kevikov
August 23, 2012, 11:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

There's a difference between crossing and long ball though. They're not making the most out of the strengths that their new signings have, telling the full backs to lump it long from deep. If Hatton and Thomas are both good at crossing at getting forward, why not work on passing it simply into the midfield and getting the return higher up the pitch or overlapping the winger?

I think thats exactly what S&H asked for on saturday, bringing thanoj in to try and use the space in midfield better and, at least for the first 15mins, we were passing it around the back four, looking for the oppurtunity to pass forward and create . Problem was lack of movement up top and a midfield overrun with nuneaton players. Slowly as we ran out of ideas and motivation, errors were made and players resorted to hoofing away, anywhere.

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 99
petethemariner
August 24, 2012, 12:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
The  missing link in our team for years has been a midfielder who can pick a pass, not a square ball,or a pass back,any average player can do that, someone who can pick a pass that cuts into the opponents territory and then supports the attack, all we have had for years are holding midfielders and thats basically all we have now, you cannot fill your midfield with this type of player and expect success, a bit of flair is needed IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 99
barralad
August 24, 2012, 8:33am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from petethemariner
The  missing link in our team for years has been a midfielder who can pick a pass, not a square ball,or a pass back,any average player can do that, someone who can pick a pass that cuts into the opponents territory and then supports the attack, all we have had for years are holding midfielders and thats basically all we have now, you cannot fill your midfield with this type of player and expect success, a bit of flair is needed IMO

I honestly think Thanoj can do the job.  To say though that that is all we need is somewhat over simplifying the issue. Too many teams have come here over the past few seasons and had the run of midfield. No protection for the back four. In Niven we have at last someone who is ideally suited to preventing that from happening. Yes his distribution doesn't appear great but I can see him winning  balls for the likes of Thanoj and Artus to use. Where that leaves our "captain" I have no idea....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 99
voice of reason
August 24, 2012, 8:42am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from grimsby pete

Jeez, some people...  

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 99
Rick12
August 25, 2012, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from forza ivano
judgement is still out for me        

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 99
Rick12
August 25, 2012, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from barralad

I honestly think Thanoj can do the job.  
agree  decent young player

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 99
cleefish
August 25, 2012, 9:54am
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6

One as to sit back and wonder who one might get if we did get rid of S&H apart from Slade myself I can't see a good or even better manager out there who is willing to step down and take on this club at this club at this level.
I am going to see a good game at Louth between them and Grimsby borough should be a good game utm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 99
GrimRob
August 25, 2012, 10:23am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
"Three games, we've only played three games"

Repeat until mental

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 86 - 99
lowerfindus
August 25, 2012, 11:01am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
I feel mental enough after three games without rubbing it in with a tune.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 99
topuphere666
August 25, 2012, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
I've got to the stage on not caring who is in charge. I just want to see a long term improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 99
DarlingtonFC1883
August 29, 2012, 11:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Quoted from grimsby pete

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Cooper isn't THAT good of a manager. His record at Tamworth is very poor. Yes, you could say that his record was very good at Kettering, but he was heavily backed by Ladak and a lot of these good results came in the Blue Square North.

Within 5 months of Cooper's tenure at Darlington, fans were calling for his head after draws against Eastbourne (9 men), and Bath City, as well as defeats at home to Wrexham and Hayes and Yeading. He turned it around and obviously got us to Wembley but our run wasn't exactly hard as we defeated Tamworth, Bath City, AFC Telford, Salisbury, Gateshead, and Mansfield. Not exactly hard when the semi-finalists and finalists both finished mid-table in the Conference, is it?

The season after, Cooper spunked a big budget and we failed. By the last few games we had gone back to basics, and he had traditionally brought in a few panic signings such as James Gray, Nialle Rodney, and his love-child Exodus Geohaghon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 99
arryarryarry
August 29, 2012, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

?

Quoted from grimsby pete

I am not into the blame game,

Make your mind up or are you just selective when it comes to blame?
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 99
rancido
August 29, 2012, 1:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
I don't think The Dynamic Duo are " hoof ball " managers. I think they try to get the team to mix the play with a passing game and playing down the channels. Unfortunately during the Stockport and Nuneaton games when we seem to be getting nowhere the back line just kicked it forward regardless. This could be a lack of confidence or just panic measures but it certainly wasn't what The Dynamic Duo wanted. These two guys have both had long , reasonably successful careers as footballers and as such they know a good player from a bad one and also have their own ideas on how they want the game played.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 99
RonMariner
August 29, 2012, 3:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

You're being generous there - Peacock was hopelessly ineffective during all of his time at Blundell Park. In his final season, he barely broke into a sweat until after Christmas when he started looking for a new contract. Extremely poor indeed.

That said, I'm not denying he might be correct about Shorty and Shouty's man management not being suitable for the modern era.

Unfortunately, the days where players could be cowed into knuckling down and performing well seem to have gone so the likes of Clough and Buckley couldn't manage successfully these days. Remember how Buckley Mk. III was at a complete loss as to what to do with the players at times?

The surprising thing is that none of the players seem to have much in the way of character about them so aren't embarrassed to put in half-arsed performances. You'd think that effort should surely be the least that can be expected from professional footballers, but apparently not.

Not sure about that. Sir Alex is hardly a marriage guidance councellor, but his trophy cabinet is pretty packed. I doubt Clough would struggle either. I think though that there is a difference between strong forceful leadership, and just shouting f words at players. That is the crucial distinction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 99
grimsby pete
August 29, 2012, 6:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from arryarryarry

Make your mind up or are you just selective when it comes to blame?

I said maybe, it was a question hence the question marks,

I promise I will be more careful what I post in future,

Since I might have a stalker.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 99
marinette
August 29, 2012, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DarlingtonFC1883

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Cooper isn't THAT good of a manager. His record at Tamworth is very poor. Yes, you could say that his record was very good at Kettering, but he was heavily backed by Ladak and a lot of these good results came in the Blue Square North.

Within 5 months of Cooper's tenure at Darlington, fans were calling for his head after draws against Eastbourne (9 men), and Bath City, as well as defeats at home to Wrexham and Hayes and Yeading. He turned it around and obviously got us to Wembley but our run wasn't exactly hard as we defeated Tamworth, Bath City, AFC Telford, Salisbury, Gateshead, and Mansfield. Not exactly hard when the semi-finalists and finalists both finished mid-table in the Conference, is it?

The season after, Cooper spunked a big budget and we failed. By the last few games we had gone back to basics, and he had traditionally brought in a few panic signings such as James Gray, Nialle Rodney, and his love-child Exodus Geohaghon.

I wish we had a player called Exodus.

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 99
Maringer
August 29, 2012, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RonMariner

Not sure about that. Sir Alex is hardly a marriage guidance councellor, but his trophy cabinet is pretty packed. I doubt Clough would struggle either. I think though that there is a difference between strong forceful leadership, and just shouting f words at players. That is the crucial distinction.

Clough was failing when he retired. Though how much of that was down to the booze, I don't know.

Ferguson is a bit of a different case because, although he's an old-style manager, he's been endlessly successful for donkey's years. Not to mention the fact that he's managed pretty much the biggest club in the world for all those years so he's been able to buy some of the best players around!

It must be tricky for the majority of managers at virtually every other club these days as nobody has any security of tenure. It doesn't take too much of a dip in form for them to be given the hook. On the other hand, at lower division clubs, the players don't tend to stick around for more than a year or two either! I reckon luck must play a reasonable part in the success of lack thereof of some managers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 99
TownSNAFU5
August 29, 2012, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,872
Gold Stars: 42
I commented above about the Nuneaton game.   Subsequent posters said that the players just got it wrong once they crossed the white line.  Well ok, but can you imagine Fergie's players doing that?  The book stops with the manager(s). They seem to have rectified this collective poor performance by the Mansfield game.

I also made the comment that a quick fix is needed. I did not clarify this.  I did not mean a change of management.   I meant getting (say) an influential midfielder or a good win.  The Mansfield game took the pressure off the team and managers.  It will also built confidence, a critical commodity.

In response to the point made that "there is no quick fix in football".   Generally very true.  Success is built over time - or with a very rich benefactor.  

Thanoj will make a good creative midfielder for us. He needs time to develop his game and does not need "10 years of poor midfields" hanging around his neck at this stage of his career.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 99
Mighty_Mariner
January 28, 2013, 10:02pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
How times change!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 99
RonMariner
January 29, 2013, 8:48am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
How times change!

Indeed. It's a results business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 99
gary_elton
January 29, 2013, 11:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I'm gonna worry when we are not top of the league... to be honest.. gettin out of this excrement is all I care about
gettin back into the league is all that matters...  if S & H do it for us... bloody marvellous....!!!

If they dont.. they've given us more to shout about than many others have over the last 10 years.... I cudnt give a flying hoot
if Mickey and Minnie Mouse were in charge so long as we do the business... and we appear to be doin it at the moment...

Might not be pretty... might not be nice every week... but so far results are going for us.... I have got so many things crossed
for success this season that my eyes are watering.....  Keep the Faith !!!  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 99
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.