Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 34 Guests

s n h - got this horrible feeling...

This thread currently has 21,943 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
BlackBoots
August 22, 2012, 12:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think if you go back 10 years or more you will find we haven't really apppointed an experienced league manager with the exception of Buckley and Newell who had both been out of the game for some time.

A bit contradictory imo.

If Buckley couldnt be classed as experienced then nobody will ever fall into that catorgory!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 99
RoboCod
August 22, 2012, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from barralad

This is a very good post. The only thing I'd disagree about is the midfield area. Whereas I've been seriously questioning what the likes of Colbeck, Cook and G Pearson bring to the table I think that Niven has shown that he is very capable at this level. I'm as sure as I can be that he won't score double figures in goals but I guess he just isn't that sort of player. Part of the reason Town's defence did so well v Stockport for 80 odd minutes was the protection afforded to them(particularly down the middle) by Niven's execution of his role. I believe it was a huge mistake to leave him out of the starting line up on Saturday and can only assume that the managers didn't think he'd enough attacking qualities for a team needing to go all out attack against a team that had conceded nine goals in their opening two fixtures.  

Actually I'm behind you with that analysis. I'm on a bit of a downer with Disley at the moment but Niven is one player who surely deserves the much derided but necessary settling in period. Dropping him was a clanger I believe, I'd personally prefer the option of starting with Niven and have a some kind of Plan B if things aren't right rather than sticking him onto the bench and hoping some vague backup plan forms in the managements mind during the game, as seemed to happen on Saturday. Buckleys midfield choice picked themselves, I think we need a tough midfield 'general' in a similar fashion, first name on the team sheet and all that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 99
AndyGTFC
August 22, 2012, 12:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Personally, I think they can spot a player. Most of their signings have been highly rated when we've signed them and most of them have done well in this league before. I think it might be actually managing these players and getting the best out of them is the problem.

I like Rob Scott's passion and obviously I'm not in the dressing room so I don't know exactly what he is like but I think the days are gone where you can shout and bawl all the time and get players on your side.

Nevertheless, they deserve a bit more time than three games to get it right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 99
forza ivano
August 22, 2012, 12:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think if you go back 10 years or more you will find we haven't really apppointed an experienced league manager with the exception of Buckley and Newell who had both been out of the game for some time.

don't agree with much you post but this true. maybe the next boss should be a justin edinburgh/liam watson/ nicky law type (ie experienced and currently working at our level)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 99
roundballovalhole
August 22, 2012, 12:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from Longmariner
I am still giving 100% support to Scott and Hurst to bring us success. I have never been one for jumping on the bandwagon. They need are support and they will get it from me.

So they have the supp ort of a bloke who can't understand the difference between 'are' and 'our'

Nuff said!
Reply: 34 - 99
roundballovalhole
August 22, 2012, 12:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from AndyGTFC
I think they can spot a player. Most of their signings have been highly rated when we've signed them and most of them have done well in this league before. I think it might be actually managing these players and getting the best out of them is the problem.

I like Rob Scott's passion and obviously I'm not in the dressing room so I don't know exactly what he is like but I think the days are gone where you can shout and bawl all the time and get players on your side.

Nevertheless, they deserve a bit more time than three games to get it right.

Why do people confuse Rob's anger management problems with passion?

Using foul and abusive language in front of men, women and children at bp would bring most people to the attention of pc dodds ffs

Reply: 35 - 99
Codzilla
August 22, 2012, 12:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
It's a shame as I really did think these would come and sort us out. I don't think anyone would be able to get us back into the league and stop our decline. So many different managers and players and nothing ever changes (apart from Slade)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 99
luda169
August 22, 2012, 12:33pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from RoboCod

Spot on. Church wasn't up to it buy he had made a large step upwards. Niven is supposed to come with a fine pedigree, as was Disley, but the damned midfield seems to be fixable. Also there was one moment of great play against Nuneaton when Soares and Thomas combined down the left and resulted in a great cross. Cook will show little until he's getting that type of service. That movement was what I was expecting from the go, all of the time. Which leaves you questioning why Soares managed to grab a hatful of goals at his former club and why Thomas isn't tearing up the ground like he did (against us particularly) for Braintree.
The shape is wrong and, as pointed out in other posts, there seemed no desire to find it and stick with in the pre-season games.

good post imho the midfield needs a yard dog type player like Caldecott and the captain is the wrong bloke he is not vocal enough there is Eldin with more shout and go about him also my confidence in S&H is quickly diminishing.utm.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 99
Maringer
August 22, 2012, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Chrisblor

It's not surprising he's bitter since they were the ones who released him - which was the right decision given that, even for all his effort, he was hopelessly ineffective during his final season with Town.

You're being generous there - Peacock was hopelessly ineffective during all of his time at Blundell Park. In his final season, he barely broke into a sweat until after Christmas when he started looking for a new contract. Extremely poor indeed.

That said, I'm not denying he might be correct about Shorty and Shouty's man management not being suitable for the modern era.

Unfortunately, the days where players could be cowed into knuckling down and performing well seem to have gone so the likes of Clough and Buckley couldn't manage successfully these days. Remember how Buckley Mk. III was at a complete loss as to what to do with the players at times?

The surprising thing is that none of the players seem to have much in the way of character about them so aren't embarrassed to put in half-arsed performances. You'd think that effort should surely be the least that can be expected from professional footballers, but apparently not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 99
kingster72
August 22, 2012, 1:13pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Disley was the problem in midfield last season and should be dropped!  We only did well last year with Manny Panther doing the simple things.  Niven is a great addition and pair him with Thanoj, should be far more effective.  Disley should NOT be skipper, or starting, brings nothing to the table for me, just a very lacklusture & inconsistant type, worse than Boshell & Jamie Clarke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.