barralad
July 31, 2012, 8:23pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I am not saying he set out to fail, i worded that wrong, he has however clearly done a bad job with the clubs finances. Of course he should not be loaning the club money to pay for his mistakes, if he wants to gamble for success he should be using his own money outright and not saddling the club with debt. If he is not in the position to put money in he should be running the club better. Nobody made him take the club on and i wish he never had.

I genuinely appreciate your view whilst not agreeing with it in it's entirety. I wouldn't argue about the waste of money we have seen but in the real world I suspect that he won't be sharing your view about the responsibility he should shoulder to pay out his own money. That is the nuts and bolts of the argument. He is willing to loan money-no-one else for whatever reason is putting in-and no-one can tell him with any authority how to spend his brass. Not ideal but what is the viable alternative?

Good reasoned debate though...**pats self on back**

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
barralad
July 31, 2012, 8:30pm
Mariners Trust
Lets face it if anyone questions him or the way the club is run theres a major fishy outcry and for that matter if anyone dare question the trust theres a massive fishy outcry aswell... This forum stopped being a open debate many moons ago

I think the five pages of open debate following your comment disprove your assertion. The problem is that debate by definition requires two (at least) opposing sides who usually fundamentally disagree. Nobody who has ever been associated with GTFC in my 40+ years of watching them has ever split opinion quite like Mr J.S. Fenty.....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 8:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from barralad

Firstly I'm not sure getting back into the league will solve this issue. It certainly isn't a panacea for the clubs problems. Running a football club is an expensive business I guess. In my original post I stated that I believed that mistakes, especially with playing staff had been made but surely the point is that even if you get the playing staff right football gives you no assurances. For the past two seasons we have been up against REAL money men. Faced with this do you try to spend or do you accept second best and make the best of what you have? The former can be construed as a gamble but the pressure from the fan base is such that they EXPECT us to compete with the best which costs money. Vicious circle...Not saying it's ideal but what now is the alternative

We would certainly be better off in the league, but this is such a hard league to get out of. Of course there are no assurances in football but poorly run clubs will show decline and well run clubs will show success over time. He must only spend if he is willing to write off the debt he creates, he must not saddle the club with any more debt. The trust have strengthened his free reign on the decision making at the club and i think they should have been concentrating on trying to build membership and lobby to reduce the club debt.

I don't get my ticket money back if we lose, why should fenty?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 8:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I genuinely appreciate your view whilst not agreeing with it in it's entirety. I wouldn't argue about the waste of money we have seen but in the real world I suspect that he won't be sharing your view about the responsibility he should shoulder to pay out his own money. That is the nuts and bolts of the argument. He is willing to loan money-no-one else for whatever reason is putting in-and no-one can tell him with any authority how to spend his brass. Not ideal but what is the viable alternative?

Good reasoned debate though...**pats self on back**

I think the viable alternative is supporter ownership and looking down the line i can see the club having to reform as i don't see a way out of the massive debt without a drastic improvement on the pitch (i really hope that we see this improvemnt).

I reckon everyone knows my stance on the current regime   I am quite happy to debate it with those who are fully entitled to disagree

Even if they are wrong  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
voice of reason
July 31, 2012, 8:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from SlouchyMetal
i like how everyone seemsto think the last 10 years have been on the down hill since fenty took over BUT we were nearly promoted in 2006 which is less than ten years ago AND fenty was at the helm then. nice to know that that particular point (one of the highest in a long time) is glossed over

I think people can be forgiven for forgetting about a failed promotion attempt, in amongst the rest of the dross his tenure has served up...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
barralad
July 31, 2012, 8:55pm
Mariners Trust

We would certainly be better off in the league, but this is such a hard league to get out of. Of course there are no assurances in football but poorly run clubs will show decline and well run clubs will show success over time. He must only spend if he is willing to write off the debt he creates, he must not saddle the club with any more debt. The trust have strengthened his free reign on the decision making at the club and i think they should have been concentrating on trying to build membership and lobby to reduce the club debt.

I don't get my ticket money back if we lose, why should fenty?

Sorry Headingley but I don't think that well run clubs necessarily show "success over time". That maxim was removed by the advent of the ridiculous amounts of money floating around the pro. game. Secondly "success" means different things to different people. Town fans were notoriously unhappy about us treading water in the now Championship. Morecambe fans could build a cogent argument to say that they simply by staying in the league are  successful. Would that be enough for Town fans? I doubt it!! I suspect Mr Fenty once saw himself as the knight in shining armour riding to the aid of the club he has supported since childhood. Let's face it a lot of us would have liked to be able to do what he has done. Undoubtedly in my view it went pear-shaped some years ago. I wouldn't dream of trying to suggest what is going through his mind but I reckon hindsight may be considered a wonderful thing from his perpsective. Money now plays such a large part in the pro game that big money cn be found-as we know from the last two seasons even at this level.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
petethemariner
July 31, 2012, 9:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from 1054

Yes, that was quite the most pitiful thing I have ever seen  on a football pitch!  To call town fans fickle when they have been completely sh1t for over a decade is fucktardery of the highest order.  many of the potential fans of the last decade have never seen a decent side. . . Fickle? Muppet!

Listen , if you cannot debate without abuse just d'ont debate, you wouldn't verbally abuse me to my face and get away with it i can assure you - i have had to read the absolute drivel you post for years and haven't found the need to be offensive to you - i have supported this club for 4 decades and i am entitled to my opinion about the 'loyalty'or fickleness or not of some of  our fans, chairing off a Chairman who has presided over the 10 years of  the non success you mention, after the majority of them had spent the previous months slagging him off (fairly or unfairly) i would consider to be a bit fickle, my opinion, whether you care to agree with it or not..

You seem to have made a niche for yourself  on this boards as an obnoxious poster
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 9:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Sorry Headingley but I don't think that well run clubs necessarily show "success over time". That maxim was removed by the advent of the ridiculous amounts of money floating around the pro. game. Secondly "success" means different things to different people. Town fans were notoriously unhappy about us treading water in the now Championship. Morecambe fans could build a cogent argument to say that they simply by staying in the league are  successful. Would that be enough for Town fans? I doubt it!! I suspect Mr Fenty once saw himself as the knight in shining armour riding to the aid of the club he has supported since childhood. Let's face it a lot of us would have liked to be able to do what he has done. Undoubtedly in my view it went pear-shaped some years ago. I wouldn't dream of trying to suggest what is going through his mind but I reckon hindsight may be considered a wonderful thing from his perpsective. Money now plays such a large part in the pro game that big money cn be found-as we know from the last two seasons even at this level.

look at the fortunes of scunny, they have had their best ever spell and are still punching above their weight. Their chairman has been accused of being tight, in mind he has run the club excellently and responsibly. He has been patient with managers, he has allowed managers to reinvest some of the money they have made through player sales and they have made an excellent reputation as a club that can progress players. I hate that the our two nearest rivals who have lived in are shadow are light years ahead of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
petethemariner
July 31, 2012, 9:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
By the way, despite my Bournemouth comment  IMO we have some of the greatest away supporters in the country, just d'ont think that could always be said of our home support, except for  in the big derby matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
barralad
July 31, 2012, 9:55pm
Mariners Trust

look at the fortunes of scunny, they have had their best ever spell and are still punching above their weight. Their chairman has been accused of being tight, in mind he has run the club excellently and responsibly. He has been patient with managers, he has allowed managers to reinvest some of the money they have made through player sales and they have made an excellent reputation as a club that can progress players. I hate that the our two nearest rivals who have lived in are shadow are light years ahead of us.

Wouldn't argue with that but the Scunny fans were up in arms when he wouldn't spend to keep them in the Championship. Imagine the reaction here. Their player conveyor belt was short-lived and they may struggle this coming season. If they get relegated the case for maybe taking a risk when they could may become compelling but in hindsight.
Who are the others? Obviously not Lincoln (incidentally a salutory lesson in the running of a club by a Trust ) If you mean Hull the two situations don't bear fair comparison

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let fenty run the fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.