9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Biccys
July 31, 2012, 12:24pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from realityman
to think getting 8 points more but still finishing 11th is better is really clutching at straws. people on here care about their club in their own way but you can not hide from the fact that we are still a failing club. this season in my opinion will be the biggest in the history of the club. anything short of promotion will be a complete disaster. the reasoning behind that statement is the fact that the extra monies from bennett etc will have gone and the following seasons budget will be halved. now that will be a worry unless the sale of another player or two can keep us going but that will then diminish our chances further on the field. lets hope for a good one this year.

How is it clutching at straws? It's CLEARLY better. Tangibly better. Measurably better. What I agree with you though is it is not good enough. Last year was the first year for the managers and a rebuilding period. They now have their own full squad. This season is the year to judge them.
I suppose we just need a giant Scandinavian goalkeeper to make it all click into place eh....  

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 12:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,416
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Biccys

How is it clutching at straws? It's CLEARLY better. Tangibly better. Measurably better. What I agree with you though is it is not good enough. Last year was the first year for the managers and a rebuilding period. They now have their own full squad. This season is the year to judge them.
I suppose we just need a giant Scandinavian goalkeeper to make it all click into place eh....  

there were still 10 better teams than us, so it is not an improvement!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 80
MuddyWaters
July 31, 2012, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236

And in other news chesterfield, rovrum,york shortly have got new stadiums obviously the recession as passed them by, not helpfull the economic climate but i cant see the ground ever coming under the present controll

You don't get it do you? Other clubs have had longer term plans than us, you've just made my point for me!
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 80
Biccys
July 31, 2012, 12:37pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from headingly_mariner

there were still 10 better teams than us, so it is not an improvement!

Yes but that's not US is it... That's 10 other teams and different ones from last year. I see your point but we are looking at our own performance and we did better by 8 points. OK the position wasn't better, but the overall result was, if you get my point!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 80
TAGG
July 31, 2012, 12:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,910
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from SlouchyMetal
i like how everyone seemsto think the last 10 years have been on the down hill since fenty took over BUT we were nearly promoted in 2006 which is less than ten years ago AND fenty was at the helm then. nice to know that that particular point (one of the highest in a long time) is glossed over

I love your sarcasm I wish I had thought of it. I havnt laughed so much for a long time. Fookin classic      

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 80
MuddyWaters
July 31, 2012, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Biccys

Yes but that's not US is it... That's 10 other teams and different ones from last year. I see your point but we are looking at our own performance and we did better by 8 points. OK the position wasn't better, but the overall result was, if you get my point!

Statistically, it's an improvement, aesthetically it isn't. Did I see enough in the few games that I went to last season to get me back to BP on a regular basis - no I didn't. On-field maybe things were slightly better but it was marginal, off-field we still look like a club that's struggling to cope with commercial & economic reality and a major fall from grace.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 12:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,416
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Biccys

The position is the overall result. If we get the same points as this years team in 5th and finish 6th we will still not make the playoffs. It is all about position. The fact that we had 8 points more than the previous season probably means the bottom half of the division was quite weaker than the previous season. When S+H came in results for the rest of that season got worse which is something worth think about when comparing the two seasons also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 80
grimsby pete
July 31, 2012, 12:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,858
Gold Stars: 223
All this talk about having a better season because we had 8 more points but still finished in the same position,

Well how about this,

Season A     Say  We finsh 2nd  and have 88pts but lose the play off,

Season B     We have 87pts but finish top and get promoted,

Which is the best season. ?

Just a thought  

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 80
WokingMariner
July 31, 2012, 12:54pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
We are unbelievably rich compared to a lot of the clubs in this league. Woking had to release a lot of the players that got them promoted in the summer because they couldn't pay them enough to make the step up to a national league which means missing more time away from their other job. Woking have to live within their means but they don't average that much less than Town (around 2000 last season, could be 3000 this one). Without Fenty or someone else's money we'd have to go part time probably and I doubt we could afford hardly any of the players we have now. The chances of promotion would be miniscule.

Be thankful for what he have and don't for a moment dream that we'd be better off without it.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 80
newfootballer
July 31, 2012, 1:00pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from GrimRob
You only have to look at the public votes. Fenty has been backed by shareholders and the trust overwhelmingly. The hardcore anty-Fenty brigade are a vocal minority, they have to accept that although of course they are free to try and convince others. Nobody on here is stopping them but they'll have to accept that there's going to be wide disagreement with their views.

THE BEST POST OF THE DAY, AGREE WITH YOU 100% JOHN FENTY TAKES A LOT OF STICK ON HERE, IF HE WAS NOT AT THE CLUB WHERE WOULD WE BE.

WHO ELSE HAS COME FORWARD TO INJECT MONEY IN THE CLUB,NOBODY

I WILL NOW WAIT FOR THE FLACK.
DAVE BOYLEN NEWFOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let fenty run the fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.