This thread currently has 6,615 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
SlouchyMetal
July 30, 2012, 10:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +8
i like how everyone seemsto think the last 10 years have been on the down hill since fenty took over BUT we were nearly promoted in 2006 which is less than ten years ago AND fenty was at the helm then. nice to know that that particular point (one of the highest in a long time) is glossed over

Party on Wayne
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 30, 2012, 10:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
mariner91
July 30, 2012, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from STB

To be fair, you only have to ask some of the once die-hard fans why they do not attend anymore and their answer is nearly always the JF reason.
Maybe its because of the downfall of the club since he became involved.
I neither know nor care nowadays and just take each game as it comes.
Pre-season has been good so far and I'm going to Lincoln tomorrow.
UTM.

Hypothetically, if we were to become a decent team again, do you think they'd return even if JF was still involved?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
petethemariner
July 30, 2012, 11:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from mariner91

Hypothetically, if we were to become a decent team again, do you think they'd return even if JF was still involved?

Absolutely yes x 1000,GTFC fans want success, many are loyal fans who would support any regime, but equally many are fickle who would  support GTFC when they are on the 'up' and d'ont care a toss about  who is in charge, look at Bournemouth the season before we finally got relegated, Fenty was carried shoulder high as the saviour  of the club by GTFC fans- i am Grimsby born and bred and proud of it, but we do have a high percentage of fickle supporters IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 80
STB
July 31, 2012, 12:30am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from mariner91

I hope they would but many have found other things to do instead of watching town.
I have only watched 5 competitive games since Burton. I'm hoping my town mojo has returned for this season but my worry is that even if we regain our league status, none of the business issues at the club will have been resolved. I'm just living in the vain hope that we find a new owner with a vision of creating a viable long term solution to our financial problems.
UTM

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
roundballovalhole
July 31, 2012, 12:39am
Guest User
Quoted from petethemariner

, look at Bournemouth the season before we finally got relegated, Fenty was carried shoulder high as the saviour  of the club by GTFC fans

Yes, that was quite the most pitiful thing I have ever seen  on a football pitch!  To call town fans fickle when they have been completely sh1t for over a decade is fucktardery of the highest order.  many of the potential fans of the last decade have never seen a decent side. . . Fickle? Muppet!
Reply: 25 - 80
TAGG
July 31, 2012, 12:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126

Wouldn't trust him to run a bath. The man's a @***

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
Rodley Mariner
July 31, 2012, 8:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from SlouchyMetal
i like how everyone seemsto think the last 10 years have been on the down hill since fenty took over BUT we were nearly promoted in 2006 which is less than ten years ago AND fenty was at the helm then. nice to know that that particular point (one of the highest in a long time) is glossed over

You're right, that glorious nearly promotion was magnificent and offsets our slide into non-league football. I just ignore it because I know that to mention it is to acknowledge what an unqualified success Mr Fenty's reign has been.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
barralad
July 31, 2012, 10:56am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from petethemariner

Absolutely yes x 1000,GTFC fans want success, many are loyal fans who would support any regime, but equally many are fickle who would  support GTFC when they are on the 'up' and d'ont care a toss about  who is in charge, look at Bournemouth the season before we finally got relegated, Fenty was carried shoulder high as the saviour  of the club by GTFC fans- i am Grimsby born and bred and proud of it, but we do have a high percentage of fickle supporters IMO.

I guess the vast majority of football fans want success and it's nothing new anywhere in the world of football for crowds to drop when teams are not doing well. A quick look at the stats for Town's attendances over the last forty years prove that. What we have here though is a STEADY decline with the brief exception of 2005/06 over the last ten years. Town historically have never spent very long in each decision so ups and downs have usually come in quick succession. They have enjoyed prolonged periods of momentum on the up BUT as soon as they've stagnated in which ever league attendances have dropped. (I remember watching Town play Port Vale at home in the 90's under Buckley (1st. spell) with less than 4000 fans in the ground). This didn't give time for disillusioned fans to fall so out of "love" for the club that they gave up altogether. It is my view that it will be very difficult to attract back people who stopped going anything more than half a dozen years ago. These people will have found other things to do and the cost of watching pro football these days is simply beyond the means of a lot of people.
I know some people tend to blame John Fenty and although I don't necessarily agree with everything said I can understand it. It is however a very easy thing to say "I don't go because of JF"- and may in a lot of cases mask other less easy to admit reasons.
Pete: I wish you hadn't used the example of JF being carried shoulder high at Bournemouth. That was the most bile creating episode I've endured in over 40 years of supporting the Mariners from all aspects.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
DubaiMariner
July 31, 2012, 11:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1

Not at all, im saying all views should be put forward without ridicule

That's ridiculous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let fenty run the fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.