barralad
July 31, 2012, 5:29pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

The money the club owes Mr Fenty is due to the fact that the club is run way beyond its means. The budget is set by Mr Fenty and Mr Fenty runs the football club. Effectively, the worse the club is run, the more beholden the club is to him.

I'm not in the position to know the ins and outs of the club's finances so have no idea whether the club IS run way beyond it's means. I believe and am sure that even J.F. would accept some of the financial decisions around the engagement of playing staff have not been sound. Allegedly a lot of clubs are run "beyond their means". The only difference appears to be that at GTFC only one person is putting up the money-HIS money. I'd be interested in seeing the reaction if all of a sudden J.F. decided that he needed to cut his cloth better and we went part time. I suspect it would be akin to the situation at other single benefactor clubs where there have been problems.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
MuddyWaters
July 31, 2012, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

I'm not in the position to know the ins and outs of the club's finances so have no idea whether the club IS run way beyond it's means. I believe and am sure that even J.F. would accept some of the financial decisions around the engagement of playing staff have not been sound. Allegedly a lot of clubs are run "beyond their means". The only difference appears to be that at GTFC only one person is putting up the money-HIS money. I'd be interested in seeing the reaction if all of a sudden J.F. decided that he needed to cut his cloth better and we went part time. I suspect it would be akin to the situation at other single benefactor clubs where there have been problems.

And there's the deal - the more money Fenty puts in, the greater his debt, therefore less of a chance of removing/replacing him etc. He has got the club over a barrel - how much he wanted this is open to question, but the facts remain that GTFC is unsellable, uncommercial and a very unattractive investment opportunity as the current balance sheet stands.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
costa del cleethorpes
July 31, 2012, 7:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You don't get it do you? Other clubs have had longer term plans than us, you've just made my point for me!

Thats bolloxx rovrums plan was announced 15 months ago then by magic a new stadium appeared
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
barralad
July 31, 2012, 7:42pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And there's the deal - the more money Fenty puts in, the greater his debt, therefore less of a chance of removing/replacing him etc. He has got the club over a barrel - how much he wanted this is open to question, but the facts remain that GTFC is unsellable, uncommercial and a very unattractive investment opportunity as the current balance sheet stands.

Are you saying that it's a conscious attempt to keep control at all costs (literally!!)? IF the club is to continue to function-whether beyond it's means or not then surely until someone else comes in he has to increase his contribution-unless of course you are saying that drastic pruning should begin now with the associated down grading in ambition etc. I'm not actually saying that it isn't a valid view and can see a lot to commend taking the hit now rather than later.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 7:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from barralad
England (and Scotland now!!) have many clubs where new people take over. A lot of these clubs are in debt and the first task for the new people is to pay off all or at least some of the existing debt-not all clubs take the admin. route. We apparently only owe money to J.F. Are people saying that new people would only come in if the club was debt free?

As someone who has loaned GTFC money Mr Fenty is surely entitled to get some if not all of this money back.

The evidence suggests that such investors do not exist in this area. I'll have a couple of quid on the Euromillions tonight. If I win I promise to sort out GTFC.

That would be an absolute travesty. Loan the club the money so that you can strangle it to death.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 7:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

If we don't get back in the league soon how long can he keep loaning the club money? every season of expensive failure the club is getting closer to oblivion. He has been gambling with the future of the club for years and it has cost the club millions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
costa del cleethorpes
July 31, 2012, 7:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Quoted from headingly_mariner

If we don't get back in the league soon how long can he keep loaning the club money? every season of expensive failure the club is getting closer to oblivion. He has been gambling with the future of the club for years and it has cost the club millions.

The above is spot on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
barralad
July 31, 2012, 8:02pm
Mariners Trust

That would be an absolute travesty. Loan the club the money so that you can strangle it to death.

Where is the evidence that he is making a conscious attempt to strangle it to death? If you mean that he should simply give his money to Town then perhaps he is not in the position financially to do that. What he appears to be doing is finding a middle way-the club get the money and he-at some point may get some of it back.

I honestly don't know what I'd have done in his shoes at the start of this....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
headingly_mariner
July 31, 2012, 8:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Where is the evidence that he is making a conscious attempt to strangle it to death? If you mean that he should simply give his money to Town then perhaps he is not in the position financially to do that. What he appears to be doing is finding a middle way-the club get the money and he-at some point may get some of it back.

I honestly don't know what I'd have done in his shoes at the start of this....

I am not saying he set out to fail, i worded that wrong, he has however clearly done a bad job with the clubs finances. Of course he should not be loaning the club money to pay for his mistakes, if he wants to gamble for success he should be using his own money outright and not saddling the club with debt. If he is not in the position to put money in he should be running the club better. Nobody made him take the club on and i wish he never had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
barralad
July 31, 2012, 8:14pm
Mariners Trust

Firstly I'm not sure getting back into the league will solve this issue. It certainly isn't a panacea for the clubs problems. Running a football club is an expensive business I guess. In my original post I stated that I believed that mistakes, especially with playing staff had been made but surely the point is that even if you get the playing staff right football gives you no assurances. For the past two seasons we have been up against REAL money men. Faced with this do you try to spend or do you accept second best and make the best of what you have? The former can be construed as a gamble but the pressure from the fan base is such that they EXPECT us to compete with the best which costs money. Vicious circle...Not saying it's ideal but what now is the alternative

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let fenty run the fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.