mariner91
July 15, 2012, 3:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from voice of reason
Jeez, it's pre-season ffs... It doesn't matter whether we win or lose you planks, there are no points awarded or dropped by winning/losing these games...

What matters is every game we play the managers/team take something out of it... Whether that is finding out what does work, what doesn't work, improving fitness and sharpness, it is all good for the upcoming season...

100% agree with this. I'd rather they tinkered and tried stuff out now while it doesn't matter than tinkering during the season and losing points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 103
hook line and sinker
July 15, 2012, 3:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
me personally would like to see the strongest side played all the time, whether it be a pre season game or league match winning is winning and brings  togetherness/winning mentality and will help the team gel.just look what happened last season on our good run of form once you get into a routine of winning games it becomes very difficult for teams to knock you off your pedestal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 103
ross1cod
July 15, 2012, 3:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -1
i dont really care about results pre-season, for me its all about ball time, fitness, and experimenting.

i am sure the managers will be thinking the same, and wont be to worried that we only managed a draw against a team that finished in the playoff final, in the league below us last season, not a pub side in my opinion, but a team very close to our level..

will a few on here be moaning if we only draw/lose against donny or hull .. or will it be oh well its only pre-season it doesnt mean anything

anyways, tomorow i go back to my job as an electrician, i will let all the fishy managers get back to BP and sort this shameful start to pre-season,sheesh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 103
80sglory
July 15, 2012, 3:58pm
Guest User
I understand fans always want to win everything (even when there's nothing at stake) but it's crucial we use every minute of pre-season to learn what's gonna make us a successful team this season.

For what it's worth, I'd still be very suprised if successive wins don't come pre-season regardless of formations or personnel. (though perhaps it might be after Donny and Hull !).

voiceofreason has nailed it for me - even so called failure is progress if you can identify problems and learn from it to improve.
Reply: 23 - 103
Neilo83
July 15, 2012, 4:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
I also agree with some of the op, what's the point in playing 16 year olds? They're never gonna play during the season, much rather see us start friendlies at full strength, they need to gel ready for the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 103
grimsby pete
July 15, 2012, 4:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
There are so m any experts here on the fishy,

It must be very hard for S + H to listen to you all.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 103
roundballovalhole
July 15, 2012, 5:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1600
I understand fans always want to win everything (even when there's nothing at stake) but it's crucial we use every minute of pre-season to learn what's gonna make us a successful team this season.

For what it's worth, I'd still be very suprised if successive wins don't come pre-season regardless of formations or personnel. (though perhaps it might be after Donny and Hull !).

voiceofreason has nailed it for me - even so called failure is progress if you can identify problems and learn from it to improve.

If s and h dont know what will make us successful, they shouldnt be managing a professional football team.

As always, its about opinions and as such there is no right and wrong.

Despite the righteousness and sense of supremacy that you are sporting again this season 80's
Reply: 26 - 103
BottesfordMariner
July 15, 2012, 5:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
it's 2 games into the pre-season and already peole are over reacting. whilst wimming the all the pre-seaon friendlies would be nice the aim is : look at players in game situations and that includes some of the youths ,   build up the players match fitness so come 11 August they are ready for the season propert- not neccesarily ready on 14 July, look at formations and tactics etc. There are plenty of more friendlies to come- i am sure as we get nearer the start of the season the 1st teamers will get more minutes. Lets face it the Boro game would was basically a practice game given the gulf in class - the sort normally played behind closed doors at the training ground. The only reason it was played in front of a crowd was to give an opportunity for Boro to make some money.

Anyway 2-2 away to a team that narrowly missed promotion to this league at this stage of the pre-season hardly constitutes a disaster. We also expect 4 or 5 new players to come in as well. Bit premature to sound the bells of doom imo.

if we start the season with 3 straight defeats or find oursleves in the bottom half of the table after 9 or 10 games (like the last few seasons) then fair enough- panic!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 103
marinette
July 15, 2012, 5:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
If we went into pre-season with all guns blazing and got some emphatic results, might we sell a few more season tickets?  I don't like all the experimentation and chopping and changing and trying out the kids - I probably won't be going to any pre-season games at all this year.  But perhaps all that stuff is necessary - better than forcing our first teamers to go straight into full-on 90 minutes and getting them injured before we've even started.  I wonder how much you can learn behind closed doors in training about how well the trialists might do, and how players adapt to formations, etc.  Quite a lot, I would have thought, but perhaps not the full picture.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 103
lukeo
July 15, 2012, 6:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
IF i was town manager I'd do what they've done and give every 45mins in the 1st 2 pre season games. But form now on i'd kick on with who they think will be the starting 11 and for the next couple of games start them and give them 60mins. Then the next couple 90mins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › SOME ADVICE FOR S and H

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.