11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
July 15, 2012, 2:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64

i agree with u about the 433 which has never worked and the fact it means hearn out on the left which he is a wasted talent out there imo (but he does seem to link up well with thomas) i agree with not playing the yt's as it will be very rare for any of them to actually get a first team game this season, they say it is for experience but whats the chances of any of them actually making it?

Unfortunately we are at a level where Gainsborough are not a Sunday league team.  They are close to being the same level as Town and fielded four players who have been Town players in the past.  Yesterday was fairly equivalent to Braintree away or Salisbury.    To draw 2-2 with a sprinkling of kids while trying out néw formations is miles off a disaster.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 103
jamesgtfc
July 15, 2012, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
I was frustrated that Hearn seemed to play much of the first half as a very defensive winger. A central 3 up top would be lethal but Pearson and Hearn seemed very wide leaving Cook on his own.

The managers said they see Disley playing a more advanced role this year but we started with Soares meaning Disley was very deep. Surely they should have started with Niven allowing Disley to play his new role?

Thought Hatton looked excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 103
80sglory
July 15, 2012, 2:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1054
Mediocrity (and that would describe drawing against a Sunday league team) is one we need to get out of.

If Gainsboro are a Sunday League or "pub" team then they're a bloody good one !

Quoted from 1054
Get the fans onside s and h, that means winning in an entertaing manner against teams far below us in the pyramid!

But they're awesome at home and were only 1 game away from being in the same league as us.
I guess there's more chance of us winning rhe FA Cup than getting you and realityman onside.
i agree with not playing the yt's as it will be very rare for any of them to actually get a first team game this season, they say it is for experience but whats the chances of any of them actually making it?

Fair point but really think it's more about making up the numbers to play 2 teams.
Also bear in mind if you never play these kids you may never know if there's another 16 year old Kevin Drinkell sat on his bum.
Better safe than sorry !

I'd bet my bottom dollar it was always the plan to play youth in the first 2 and then switch more to a senior squad against top opposition.
That said, think it's worth having another look at that youth left midfielder for another 20 mins cos I thought he was a trialist.
Reply: 12 - 103
TonySmith
July 15, 2012, 2:29pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +964
Gold Stars: 11
  Again with the Sunday League team nonsense. Gainsborough are far from a Sunday League team. Actually, for those of you with short memories, we DID play a team of SELECT level Sunday League type players only a few days ago and, if memory serves, hit 12 against them with the same blend of first teamers and youth.  A little perspective please folks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 103
80sglory
July 15, 2012, 2:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc
The managers said they see Disley playing a more advanced role this year but we started with Soares meaning Disley was very deep. Surely they should have started with Niven allowing Disley to play his new role?

Perhaps but if you play 4-3-3 1st half and 4-4-2 the 2nd, you've only got one player to choose from in that advanced role in the 4-3-3 ?

Reply: 14 - 103
Grantham_Mariner
July 15, 2012, 2:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Early days, just trying different formations and different players in them, still have not got full squad so no panic. All four teams that have played half a match each will bear no resemblance to our starting XI on August 11th.

Glass half full and beginning to fill up !

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 103
voice of reason
July 15, 2012, 2:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Jeez, it's pre-season ffs... It doesn't matter whether we win or lose you planks, there are no points awarded or dropped by winning/losing these games...

What matters is every game we play the managers/team take something out of it... Whether that is finding out what does work, what doesn't work, improving fitness and sharpness, it is all good for the upcoming season...

Did you lot see Man City lost the other day against some team from god knows where... They have multi millions of pounds, a squad full of internationals and have just won the prem... Do you think people will be writing them off this season after that result???

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 103
bradzmilne
July 15, 2012, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
Realityman speaks some truth, we shouldnt be playing youth players in first team games (even if friendlies are just a 'dressed up training session' )
Playing around with formations are part and parcel of pre season, if we dont have the players to play 4-4-3 its better to find out now rather than the middle of september. In my opinion i think we should play a basic, balanced 4-4-2 but we have more than likely signed to many strikers to do that now.
Am confident that HandS will sort it before to long anyway.
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 103
Super Clive
July 15, 2012, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from voice of reason

Did you lot see Man City lost the other day against some team from god knows where... They have multi millions of pounds, a squad full of internationals and have just won the prem... Do you think people will be writing them off this season after that result???

No I didn't see man city lose and to answer your question yes, the fickle twits will probably go back to united or chelski.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 103
voice of reason
July 15, 2012, 3:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from bradzmilne
Realityman speaks some truth, we shouldnt be playing youth players in first team games (even if friendlies are just a 'dressed up training session' )
Playing around with formations are part and parcel of pre season, if we dont have the players to play 4-4-3 its better to find out now rather than the middle of september. In my opinion i think we should play a basic, balanced 4-4-2 but we have more than likely signed to many strikers to do that now.
Am confident that HandS will sort it before to long anyway.
UTM

Why shouldn't we be playing youth players? What if they are the players that may have to come in and do a job if we have inj and suspensions to contend with? The managrs need to know about the whole squad, not just the 1st team...

Anyway, for all we know they may have put the yths in to se how the players around them react, i.e. was they organising them and getting them into position or was they leaving them exposed etc...

My point is there is a whole host of reasons why some of the yths SHOULD be included in these games... I agree further on into pre-season you would hope the players immediately in and around the 1st team will be getting plenty of game time...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › SOME ADVICE FOR S and H

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.