Reply: 60 - 137
GodHelpUs
March 8, 2012, 1:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Quoted from Trawler

A seat on the board could and should have been a minimum requirement.

The Trust are not in a position to take a seat on the Board...that is why the previous Trust Board accepted the shares without seeking Board membership.  With power comes financial resposibility and the Trust are not in a position to meet those responsibilities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 137
MeanwoodMariner
March 8, 2012, 1:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Trawler

But at what cost to the Trust's influence and long term viability Meanwood? With the loss of shares the Trust's bargaining position is substantially weakened. They have given away much and got little in return. A seat on the board could and should have been a minimum requirement. The 14 month's security is a red herring.  Neither you nor I can say if JF would have walked for sure. The only person who knows is Mr Fenty himself.

To be clear I was not against parting with 200,000 shares per se, but this was the one big chance to get something meaningful and quantifiable in exchange.

And all we got were vague promises.

I don't blame the Trust board. They presented to their members the situation as they saw it.  It was the members that ratified it.

We get what we deserve.

Mr Fenty got what he wants - I just hope a Trust seat on the board is forthcoming.

I see where you're coming from. But suppose for a second it is a bad move by the Trust. Suppose, as Old Codger so impartial puts it, the Trust have been 'hoodwinked' into allowing JF to continue to fund the club. If the Trust as a group make poor decisions then losing some power in the running of the club is no bad thing...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 137
lowerfindus
March 8, 2012, 1:05pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from forza ivano
oh well, that's democracy. disappointing result for us doubters. agree with much of trawlers post. the cynic in me says that in 12 months time
1) the trust will not be on the board
2) fenty will have dismissed their thoughts on the budget with 'thanks very much, a pat on the head and  a wave goodbye'
3) the club will'gift' the hire of mcmenemys at  a reduced rate for a race night, so the trust can raise money to repaint the toilets or the gate

just hope i'm being over pessimistic and the trust will see that fenty has done em up like a kipper and won't get caught out again by his omissions/threats and half truths

I suspect you are spot on. During next season when the project losses come out and people are staggered at us yet again setting a budget way above sensible means we can perhaps look forward to the masses asking serious questions regards the realistic progress and running of the club.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 137
Ipswin
March 8, 2012, 1:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Biccys
we can all hope the board make the right decisions for the long term future of our club and get the intercourse out of this excrement league with it's excrement referees and excrement away days.

If the board make just one right decision (right for the club that is as opposed to right for Fenty - I suspect every decision from now on will be 'right' for our John) it will be the first time since Fenty got on the board

As for excrement referees, the vote was so discredited by the 'seat on the board sweetener' it was so bent it made the referee at Fleetwood look honest.

You voted for it Trust members (well 82% of 72% of the membership which I make about 177 based on a membership of 300 voted for it) so enjoy your beief spell in Fenty's good books and feel smug for another 14 months if you wish but don't forget when it goes mammary's up - you voted for it, it's down to you, just 177 of the total fanbase decided the course of the club and sold out what was left of the club in 'independent' hands (no disrespect to other 'private' shareholders but your shares are like mine totally useless vote-wise)

It will be interesting to see if the Trust's increased membership is maintained or if following the giveaway of the shares many will not renew their subscriptions.

RIP the Trust, your one and only opportunity to make a mark thrown away - welcome back to total obscurity

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 137
MuddyWaters
March 8, 2012, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Ipswin

If the board make just one right decision (right for the club that is as opposed to right for Fenty - I suspect every decision from now on will be 'right' for our John) it will be the first time since Fenty got on the board

As for excrement referees, the vote was so discredited by the 'seat on the board sweetener' it was so bent it made the referee at Fleetwood look honest.

You voted for it Trust members (well 82% of 72% of the membership which I make about 177 based on a membership of 300 voted for it) so enjoy your beief spell in Fenty's good books and feel smug for another 14 months if you wish but don't forget when it goes mammary's up - you voted for it, it's down to you, just 177 of the total fanbase decided the course of the club and sold out what was left of the club in 'independent' hands (no disrespect to other 'private' shareholders but your shares are like mine totally useless vote-wise)

It will be interesting to see if the Trust's increased membership is maintained or if following the giveaway of the shares many will not renew their subscriptions.

RIP the Trust, your one and only opportunity to make a mark thrown away - welcome back to total obscurity

Entirely the point - the vote was totally derailed so should have been re-run with ALL of the available information not some of it.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 137
Trawler
March 8, 2012, 1:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

If the Trust as a group make poor decisions then losing some power in the running of the club is no bad thing...  

Your point's probably made with tongue in cheek - but sadly it's one I find I can't argue with.  Who knows - maybe there are some Trust members who voted yes not to put Fenty back in charge, but to stop the Trust being involved at a higher level.

Any way - what's done is done - the membership voted and gets what it deserves.

I turn to Stephen Sondheim's words in Sunday In The Park with George.

"I chose and my world was shaken,
So what?
The choice may have been mistaken
The choosing was not,
You have to move on."

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 137
headingly_mariner
March 8, 2012, 1:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 137
Ipswin
March 8, 2012, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from GodHelpUs

The Trust are not in a position to take a seat on the Board...that is why the previous Trust Board accepted the shares without seeking Board membership.  With power comes financial resposibility and the Trust are not in a position to meet those responsibilities.

You would have been if you had sold Fenty the shares instead of giving them to him but of course you folded under his veiled threats about withdrawing finance and selling Hearn so he got your shares for absolutely nowt and spent his £200000 on another lot

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 137
cod.gtfc
March 8, 2012, 1:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Don't see what choice people had, the trust are in no position to run the club, nor can I see them ever being, and without Fenty's money we probably won't even have a club. At least now we have one till the end of next season instead of this one, who knows maybe then we will be back in the league and not have as big as money worries, if not we can then argue about it again this time next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Fenty vote - 82% in favour

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.