MuddyWaters
March 9, 2012, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from lancspontooner
This seems the ideal result for the moaners on here. Most knew that the Trust would have a majority voting "Yes" so the Trust Board, Trust Members and Fenty could be criticised in equal measure without the worry that funding might disappear this season. The club could then go on funding new players (Soares and Winn) in an attempt to get out of this god-forsaken division but the moaners would still have the moral high ground claiming that 82% of voters had been duped and apparently they are "cretins".

I voted late on to hear the arguments and I voted "Yes". I don't know the Trust Board members and I don't know Fenty. I know that Fenty's debts make our club an unattractive proposition to potential investors and I have been very critical of his decisions and communications to fans as Chairman. However, I do think he's a fan and I'm certain that there is no-one else likely to fund this club until the end of next season. I also think that next season is the most critical season we face as I think we'll fall short this year. So, as the least worst option, I'll give my support to the Trust Board to negotiate with Fenty and hopefully help to keep my club afloat. If he doesn't negotiate properly or the Trust Board aren't up to it I'd either withdraw my support for the Trust - or even put myself forward to get more involved. I wouldn't snipe on the sidelines/messageboards.

So carry on moaning on here and then you will have the satisfaction to be able to say "I told you so" next season if it doesn't work out. Alternatively you could join the Trust and give it a proper mandate to represent the fans. Rant over.  

Looking at Honest John's interview in the Tellywag, it seems that it is yet another short term fix to a long term problem.

If you seriously want GTFC to have a future Mr Fenty, write off your loans!

There may be 177 people prepared to buy in to your 'smoke & mirrors' solution but when are you going to act like a fan and not a businessman?
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 137
BlackBoots
March 9, 2012, 11:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Looking at Honest John's interview in the Tellywag, it seems that it is yet another short term fix to a long term problem.

If you seriously want GTFC to have a future Mr Fenty, write off your loans!

There may be 177 people prepared to buy in to your 'smoke & mirrors' solution but when are you going to act like a fan and not a businessman?

What is your solution Old Codger?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 137
MuddyWaters
March 9, 2012, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BlackBoots

What is your solution Old Codger?

No magic solutions, just pointing out that there is no chance of anyone taking on GTFC as a viable concern whilst it is in so much debt to one man - benign or otherwise. I have respect for Mr Fenty's continued financial support for the club - but he, like anyone else with half a commercial brain, knows that the club has no long-term solid fiscal footing with the club's balance sheet as it is.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 137
BlackBoots
March 9, 2012, 11:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No magic solutions, just pointing out that there is no chance of anyone taking on GTFC as a viable concern whilst it is in so much debt to one man - benign or otherwise. I have respect for Mr Fenty's continued financial support for the club - but he, like anyone else with half a commercial brain, knows that the club has no long-term solid fiscal footing with the club's balance sheet as it is.

I agree with you. The club is SO entrenched with JF that there is no chance of an alternative coming forward.

For this reason I felt the Trust had no choice and so far I havent heard from anyone who has put forward a viable alternative.

The only way out is IF the new ground gets the go ahead. Until that time JF holds ALL the aces (sad but true)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 137
Ipswin
March 9, 2012, 12:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Squarkus
Fenty has had the misfortune of previouse managers that carnt manage or no what a good player is,

Misfortune? FFS John 'I know fuk all about football but I own the club so I'll decide' Fenty employed most of 'em. It's thanks to his selections that we are now a non-league team.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 137
BlackBoots
March 9, 2012, 12:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from BlackBoots

I agree with you. The club is SO entrenched with JF that there is no chance of an alternative coming forward.

For this reason I felt the Trust had no choice and so far I havent heard from anyone who has put forward a viable alternative.

The only way out is IF the new ground gets the go ahead. Until that time JF holds ALL the aces (sad but true)

Can anyone who is so against the proposal give details of a viable alternative to JF?

I dont mean JF writing all his debt off and leaving the club as I dont see that as viable.

I probably aren't bright enough to come up with a fool proof solution. Can you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 137
rancido
March 9, 2012, 2:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Two points.

1. The 'seat on the board' was clearly influential and should, equally clearly, have caused the vote to be re-run.

2. 82% of a 72% turnout means that 59% of the Trust membership voted YES which whilst still a majority isn't that sensational bearing in mind the above.

The running and future of this country has many times been decided by a lot less percentage turnout and majority than these figures. That is what democracy is - you cast your vote ( if you can be arsed to ) and accept the result. Unfortunately too many people want a democratic system that only results in what they want.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 137
MuddyWaters
March 9, 2012, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The running and future of this country has many times been decided by a lot less percentage turnout and majority than these figures. That is what democracy is - you cast your vote ( if you can be arsed to ) and accept the result. Unfortunately too many people want a democratic system that only results in what they want.

But how many times have you voted in an ballot that is derailed by a change in circumstances?
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 137
BlackBoots
March 9, 2012, 2:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But how many times have you voted in an ballot that is derailed by a change in circumstances?

In what way? Again I may be missing the point but why was it derailed? Are you suggesting that the discussions regarding the seat of the board had a positive bearing on the 'Yes' vote?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 137
rancido
March 9, 2012, 2:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Like I said in my original post  some people only want a democratic system if the result is what they want. You are one of many posters on here who only see your side of the argument ie JF is bad for the club and we would be better off without him. Unfortunately you cannot name a specific alternative but take the view that all will be ok if JF goes. I have no specific view either anti or pro JF but until a viable DEFINITE alternative appears then " better the devil you know ". My only concern is that at the moment we have a club with a person who is prepared to fund said club and if he was to decide he had had enough then who would come forward to replace him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Fenty vote - 82% in favour

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.