Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Letter in the NLP
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 124 Guests

Letter in the NLP

This thread currently has 3,873 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
March 4, 2012, 1:20pm
Guest User
There's a letter in today's  issue regarding the automatic promotion to the football league being stopped, and I think the sender has got this 100% spot on.
He starts by saying any club that cannot average more than 2500 fans should not be in the football league, and that teams like Grimsby, luton, and stockport, should replace the dagenhams, morecombe, Barnet, etc, staight away, with future promotion depending on a top two finish and sufficient support.

He goes on to say, and this is the part that I really agree with, is that it would be a travesty if the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Northampton, end up in the conference whilst the smaller clubs remain, including possibly fleetwood, southport, etc, attracting less than 1500 crowds in div2.

He finishes by saying he wants the conference to be again what it was originally intended for, the place for the top non league clubs and those who aspire to be.

Anyone care to disagree?
BlackBoots
March 4, 2012, 1:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
The whole point of sport in my opinion is that promotion and relegation is only decided on the pitch. i.e. you get the most points you win the league and thus promotion.

Only on the grounds of your stadia not being fit for purpose should promotion be denied
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
codhead91
March 4, 2012, 1:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Whilst good support is important, what do you do in a situation like last season when Crawley walked the league? Ultimately football is a result based business, and promotion etc should be based on that alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
HarryTheHaddock
March 4, 2012, 1:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
I totally disagree with the letter. What would be the incentive for teams to get promoted from non-league, and why should teams like Town, Luton, Bradford and Plymouth have an automatic right to be in the Football League just because they used to be good, or have a good history. It's what you are doing now that is the most important thing in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
March 4, 2012, 1:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from BlackBoots
The whole point of sport in my opinion is that promotion and relegation is only decided on the pitch. i.e. you get the most points you win the league and thus promotion.

Only on the grounds of your stadia not being fit for purpose should promotion be denied

So on that basis you would be quite happy for moneymen bankrolling a club like say Whitby town or north ferriby united etc, as a hobbie, clubs that couldn't dream of crowds over 1000, and then going on to replace proud traditional league clubs?
It would just be wrong for me, like I said there needs to be a line drawn.
Reply: 4 - 54
Theimperialcoroner
March 4, 2012, 1:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
Next thing is you'll have the Premier League clubs not wanting smaller teams in their little cartel. Football must always be a meritocracy, otherwise it just becomes a contrived gameshow. NFL anyone? thought not.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
codhead91
March 4, 2012, 1:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Quoted from 2578

So on that basis you would be quite happy for moneymen bankrolling a club like say Whitby town or north ferriby united etc, as a hobbie, clubs that couldn't dream of crowds over 1000, and then going on to replace proud traditional league clubs?
It would just be wrong for me, like I said there needs to be a line drawn.

If the 'proud traditional club' deserves to be relegated based on performance, and Whitby Town or any club deserve to get promoted through performance then yes. The amount of money being put into a club is irrelevant, if they have more points than every team in their league they deserve to go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
March 4, 2012, 1:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from codhead91
Whilst good support is important, what do you do in a situation like last season when Crawley walked the league? Ultimately football is a result based business, and promotion etc should be based on that alone.

By setting a 2500 average minimum Crawley would then have has to give insentives to the local public to draw them in and raise the gate, reduced ticket prices etc, after all it's not like they couldn't afford to.
Reply: 7 - 54
LH
March 4, 2012, 1:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,582
Gold Stars: 175
Would you agree with this if we were in the Championship averaging 5500 about 10000 less than most clubs up there?
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
lukeo
March 4, 2012, 1:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,398
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from BlackBoots

TOTALLY AGREE. If we never get out of this league it's our own fault. Hats off to the likes of Accrington, Barnet even Scunthorpe who have poor attendances and low wages but still do well and stay in the league.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Letter in the NLP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.