Marinerz93
March 4, 2012, 8:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from thedmariner
if memory serves me right town were saved from dropping out of the fl when we finished bottom of the old 4th division and were re-elected due to the fact that the top non league teams ground was not good enough.
i think promotion and relegation should be based purely on merit otherwise where is the incentive? and once we get out of this god awful league hopefully it wont concern us.

Town have never finished bottom of the league, scunny have and they escaped that way.  The season your talking about I believe we finished 2nd bottom and had to re-apply for election.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
80sglory
March 5, 2012, 3:07am
Guest User
Quoted from codhead91
Ultimately football is a result based business, and promotion etc should be based on that alone.

Enough said.
The more I hear of this NLP paper the more I want to avoid it.

Quoted from Steve_gtfc

David Moyes has a few ideas regards this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17249760

I know he is talking about the EPL but the idea/principle could filter down the levels.

"There's no doubt the game has speeded up but I'm not sure that has made for better football. "

Think Moyes is right.
How do you slow the sodomist down though ?...
Reply: 41 - 54
arryarryarry
March 5, 2012, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from thedmariner
if memory serves me right town were saved from dropping out of the fl when we finished bottom of the old 4th division and were re-elected due to the fact that the top non league teams ground was not good enough.
i

I think your memory is letting you down there.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
arryarryarry
March 5, 2012, 10:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Does the criteria of quality of stadium still apply?

I think it applies to most leagues.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
cocky
March 5, 2012, 10:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Quoted from 2578
There's a letter in today's  issue regarding the automatic promotion to the football league being stopped, and I think the sender has got this 100% spot on.
He starts by saying any club that cannot average more than 2500 fans should not be in the football league, and that teams like Grimsby, luton, and stockport, should replace the dagenhams, morecombe, Barnet, etc, staight away, with future promotion depending on a top two finish and sufficient support.

He goes on to say, and this is the part that I really agree with, is that it would be a travesty if the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Northampton, end up in the conference whilst the smaller clubs remain, including possibly fleetwood, southport, etc, attracting less than 1500 crowds in div2.

He finishes by saying he wants the conference to be again what it was originally intended for, the place for the top non league clubs and those who aspire to be.

Anyone care to disagree?

Perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  Why not just sack off the football all together and just turn it into a league of attendances.  Or even better (for us), we could decide the league placings on alphabetical order - after all, that has as much bearing as which division a team should be in as attendances.   I couldn't tell you the attendances of any games at all this weekend, I could tell you a few scores though, that's because, as it should be football is results based.

All this talk on here about ours and other teams attendances is just embarrasing.  Especially laughing at Scunthorpe.  Here's the logic.  If Scunthorpe are two divisions above us with inferior crowds then that just makes us look even poorer in comparison as they're doing better than us with fewer resources.

You mention about being happy with a club being bankrolled to promotion - let's not forget that we're being bank rolled ourselves!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
arryarryarry
March 5, 2012, 10:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 2578
There's a letter in today's  issue regarding the automatic promotion to the football league being stopped, and I think the sender has got this 100% spot on.
He starts by saying any club that cannot average more than 2500 fans should not be in the football league, and that teams like Grimsby, luton, and stockport, should replace the dagenhams, morecombe, Barnet, etc, staight away, with future promotion depending on a top two finish and sufficient support.

He goes on to say, and this is the part that I really agree with, is that it would be a travesty if the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Northampton, end up in the conference whilst the smaller clubs remain, including possibly fleetwood, southport, etc, attracting less than 1500 crowds in div2.

He finishes by saying he wants the conference to be again what it was originally intended for, the place for the top non league clubs and those who aspire to be.

Anyone care to disagree?

Personally I think that is a pile of cack and if Town hadn't improved their performances from the start of the season, we probably wouldn't be averaging 2,500 crowds.

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
BrMarin
March 5, 2012, 11:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
A wage cap based on a clubs gate receipts would be a fairer system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
cocky
March 5, 2012, 12:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Quoted from BrMarin
A wage cap based on a clubs gate receipts would be a fairer system.

I think that's in place which is why, I think, that Crawley are shedding all their high earners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
salmon1620
March 5, 2012, 12:22pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
it's based on income not gate receipts and saying that you can't go in the prem unless you get 75000 then excrement thread and lets remember were wigan were just over 30 years ago but none of you will no that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
Paris Mariner
March 5, 2012, 3:06pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from salmon1620
it's based on income not gate receipts and saying that you can't go in the prem unless you get 75000 then excrement thread and lets remember were wigan were just over 30 years ago but none of you will no that

Applying to be part of the Scpttish League, that's where they were.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Letter in the NLP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.