rancido
March 5, 2012, 4:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,619
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 2578

You would honestly call wigan and yeovil pub teams? really?? and as for chelmsford they play in the conference south where they belong  

I meant to say Cheltenham ( having a senior moment ) .But as regards Wigan and Yeovil they were just semi-pro teams in the non-league scene many years ago.In fact they are examples of how non-league teams can achieve success. To suggest a return to another version of the " old pals act " as regards promotion is ridiculous. If the team is good enough then it gets promoted regardless of ground or fan base. The article in the NLP suggests that the likes of Accrington , Barnet and Hereford shouldn't be in the Football League because of small home attendances. If these clubs can survive ,financially , with their low gates then they must be doing something right business wise. The only thing I would change is three teams being promoted to the Football League Div 2 ; Champion , Runner-up and a play-off winner. What is needed is more encouragement for non-league clubs to aspire for promotion , not less.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
March 5, 2012, 5:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

I meant to say Cheltenham ( having a senior moment ) .But as regards Wigan and Yeovil they were just semi-pro teams in the non-league scene many years ago.In fact they are examples of how non-league teams can achieve success. To suggest a return to another version of the " old pals act " as regards promotion is ridiculous. If the team is good enough then it gets promoted regardless of ground or fan base. The article in the NLP suggests that the likes of Accrington , Barnet and Hereford shouldn't be in the Football League because of small home attendances. If these clubs can survive ,financially , with their low gates then they must be doing something right business wise. The only thing I would change is three teams being promoted to the Football League Div 2 ; Champion , Runner-up and a play-off winner. WhatE is needed is more encouragement for non-league clubs to aspire for promotion , not less.

Yes you have made a fair point I suppose if you look at it historically  but I still carnt help but feel getting promoted to league status should mean playing in proper football stadiums again, as opposed to some of the ram shackle sheds I've seen over the past two seasons, it should also mean more visiting fans creating an overall better match experience as opposed to the 20 or odd Braintree fans that managed to turn up.
Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed the non league experience personally but how many town fans have come on here moaning about "this Micky mouse league" With lack of this lack of that, surely a Saturday afternoon fixture in div 2 against Hayes attracting with a crowd of 300 would do the league a disservice and downgrade it? You may as well combine the conference with league 2 and have to regional divisions, with div 1 being the next stand out league for promoted clubs that fit the criteria required..

Reply: 51 - 54
looneytunes
March 5, 2012, 7:16pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +5
The person who wrote that letter was from Devon.Wouldnt be a Plymouth supporter worried about relegation would it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
badman
March 5, 2012, 8:22pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
football is about money you have or you dont just like the standed of players  you have  good players because you have money and with good players you get league football is it not but can team like fleetwood stay in  league long term ? and what if the gold goose  go bust
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
tashee69
March 5, 2012, 11:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 2578

So on that basis you would be quite happy for moneymen bankrolling a club like say Whitby town or north ferriby united etc, as a hobbie, clubs that couldn't dream of crowds over 1000, and then going on to replace proud traditional league clubs?
It would just be wrong for me, like I said there needs to be a line drawn.

And the big local news on transfer front is the signing of 2500 fans by North Ferriby United on loan until the end of the season from Hull City. It is hoped that this will be a decisive move in order to gain promotion even though they do sit 20 points off the playoffs with only 11 games left.  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Letter in the NLP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.