6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
March 4, 2012, 2:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Some of those clubs that only attract a thousand or so spectators in the BSP might attract 3000+ if they got promoted to the football league - we've experienced ourselves how much success influences attendance.
Under the proposal in that letter, those clubs would never find out.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 54
March 4, 2012, 2:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from LH
Would you agree with this if we were in the Championship averaging 5500 about 10000 less than most clubs up there?

The championship is still a division of the main leagues though isn't? my point is to be a league club you should have a type of status otherwise letting pub teams in just devalues it all.
Reply: 21 - 54
March 4, 2012, 2:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from wigworld
Some of those clubs that only attract a thousand or so spectators in the BSP might attract 3000+ if they got promoted to the football league - we've experienced ourselves how much success influences attendance.
Under the proposal in that letter, those clubs would never find out.

You mean clubs like, accrington stanley, morecombe,barnet,dagenham & redbridge?
Reply: 22 - 54
Abdul19
March 4, 2012, 2:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,586
Gold Stars: 218
The letter sounds like a hilarious bit of trolling and anyone that agrees with it is a cretin.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
March 4, 2012, 3:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19
The letter sounds like a hilarious bit of trolling and anyone that agrees with it is a cretin.

Why the intercourse you calling me a cretin whilst you hide behind your computer curry breath? Pop in to William hill on Grimsby rd now and call me that I'm in a blue top.
Ffs what's wrong with people I start an honest debate and I get abuse?
I know id proberly be in a minority but that's what this forums for...
Like I said William hill.

Reply: 24 - 54
Abdul19
March 4, 2012, 3:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,586
Gold Stars: 218
Yeah fair point, the cretin bit was unnecessary.

It's a terrible idea though, the reasons why I think this have already been covered by others.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Theimperialcoroner
March 4, 2012, 3:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from 2578

As much as I'd love to see town in the premiership, it would be pretty embarrassing seeing 8000 in the premier league, they would rightly refuse entry in my opinion if we ever got promoted. We would tarnish a great product.

Which is precisely why I would want to see Town in the Premiership, sticking two fingers up at the lot of them , just as we did when we went to Wolves, WBA, Bolton, Leeds etc in the second tier. I'd not be in the slightest bit embarrassed unless we got there by cheating a la Pompey. I'd also expect us to get more fans through the door than Wigan do (capacity permitting of course). Try telling a Norwich or Blackpool fan they didn't deserve to be in the Premier League because they do not get as many fans as some of the 'big boys'. It's worth noting that 25 years ago, Everton and Sheff Weds were thought of as one of the big five, now they can only dream of dining at the top table.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
Marinerz93
March 4, 2012, 3:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 2578

By setting a 2500 average minimum Crawley would then have has to give insentives to the local public to draw them in and raise the gate, reduced ticket prices etc, after all it's not like they couldn't afford to.

That would be Scumthorpe gone then, their lowest average was 1,800, you get my vote  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
Steve_gtfc
March 4, 2012, 3:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -2
I don't agree with the letter in the NLP. I do, however, believe that more promotion places should be available to escape this league.

I personally do not know why four clubs can gain promotion from L2 but only two from the BSP. Why do three go down from the championship, four from L1 and only two from L2? Does anybody know? As I have wondered this for a while.

UTM

Follow on Twitter: sclaybourn87
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Paris Mariner
March 4, 2012, 3:28pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from 2578
There's a letter in today's  issue regarding the automatic promotion to the football league being stopped, and I think the sender has got this 100% spot on.
He starts by saying any club that cannot average more than 2500 fans should not be in the football league, and that teams like Grimsby, luton, and stockport, should replace the dagenhams, morecombe, Barnet, etc, staight away, with future promotion depending on a top two finish and sufficient support.

He goes on to say, and this is the part that I really agree with, is that it would be a travesty if the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Northampton, end up in the conference whilst the smaller clubs remain, including possibly fleetwood, southport, etc, attracting less than 1500 crowds in div2.

He finishes by saying he wants the conference to be again what it was originally intended for, the place for the top non league clubs and those who aspire to be.

Anyone care to disagree?

The problem isn't promotion and relegation. The problem is that the FA, clubs and players have got their heads buried in the and regarding wages. If clubs were run properly with in their means clubs wouldn't go to the wall and the sporting hierarchy would naturally sort itself out.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Letter in the NLP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.