Private Message
Reply: 60 - 146
cocky
June 15, 2010, 10:09am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Quoted from GrimRob
Totally agree, football is about chanting and that gives so much to the game. I always know in TV games which end "belongs" to which team and in this tournament I haven't a clue. They hardly show any crowd shots on TV either. The crowd might as well not be there. Contrast it with the games at Wembley where they constantly show people in the crowd reacting to incidents in the game.  As a supporter you identify with the people in the crowd.

Football is not just about 22 players and a ball.

In this country (and others) chanting is part of the game, obviously not in Africa.  If the world cup comes here in 2018, you'd be quite happy for the Africans to sign petitions and try and ban chanting at games because they can't hear their vuvuzelas over the chanting?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 146
LH
June 15, 2010, 10:11am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
It's our bloody game! No-one else can have their own take on it! Annoying as they might be you only have a few weeks left of it.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 146
GrimRob
June 15, 2010, 10:15am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from cocky

In this country (and others) chanting is part of the game, obviously not in Africa.  If the world cup comes here in 2018, you'd be quite happy for the Africans to sign petitions and try and ban chanting at games because they can't hear their vuvuzelas over the chanting?

I'm yet to go to a game where neutral fans chant

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 63 - 146
ginnywings
June 15, 2010, 10:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ClarkeyUTM
Am I the only one who really doesn't mind them at all? They're not that bad, surely?

No your not.

I would rather not have them but i can live with it.

The alternative would be half empty stadiums if they were not filled by the locals.Seen a lot of world cups where the smaller footballing nations have played in half empty stadiums.At least most of these games have a good crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 146
itsnotcoditshaddock
June 15, 2010, 10:51am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Lol at Rob! I don't even notice the things after 5 or 10 minutes, don't see what the fuss is about!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 146
topuphere666
June 15, 2010, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

No your not.

I would rather not have them but i can live with it.

The alternative would be half empty stadiums if they were not filled by the locals.Seen a lot of world cups where the smaller footballing nations have played in half empty stadiums.At least most of these games have a good crowd.

Talking of half empty stadiums, did you see Japan v Cameroon, bloody place was empty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 15, 2010, 11:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Lol at Rob! I don't even notice the things after 5 or 10 minutes, don't see what the fuss is about!

You must have strange hearing.

I couldn't stand it for more than 2 minutes before it literally made my head hurt and I'm pretty used to loud music and like a bit of thumping bass in the car.

One thing I did wonder about was whether the frequency of the note would make a difference but it is probably the sheer volume and continuity that causes the most annoyance. Apart from the irritation though, surely it must be obvious that 2 hours of a noise louder than a jet engine will damage even the best of hearing more than any concert speakers would. I'm amazed that nobody has stopped it on health grounds.

The culture argument is pretty pathetic really. South Africans do chant and they do sing and they do dance. That's their true culture, these things are nothing but a cheap retail con.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 146
ginnywings
June 15, 2010, 11:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from topuphere666

Talking of half empty stadiums, did you see Japan v Cameroon, bloody place was empty

Yeah,was a bit sparse but i think on the whole,the games have been well attended.Seen a lot of tournaments where the grounds have been thinly populated,especially during the daytime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 146
topuphere666
June 15, 2010, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah,was a bit sparse but i think on the whole,the games have been well attended.Seen a lot of tournaments where the grounds have been thinly populated,especially during the daytime.

Yea, I imagine todays exciting game between N.Zealand and Slovakia wont be a sell out.

The 2 evening games are always well stocked though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.