15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
topuphere666
June 16, 2010, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
The Chris Moyles commentary yesterday was quite amusing. He doing another game on Friday. (Germany I think)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 146
TWAreaTownSupporter
June 16, 2010, 11:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Rob, the problem with any campaign to ban vuvuzelas is that it will come across as British/Western Imperialism. It isn't, but its the way it will be seen in Africa and other developing regions. Same as with any comment our government makes on Zimbabwe - there's a knee jerk reaction in Africa that its the "old colonialists at it again". Basically it will intercourse the England 2018 bid. Sad but that's (sports) politics.

I hate the constant drone as much as I hate music which is pumped out full volume at stadia when a goal is scored. It kills spontaneous reaction from the crowd. I'm also disappointed because I was hoping there'd be a lot more joyful dancing and drumming going on (maybe I'm stereotyping Africa!). Instead we get that mournful drone.

As for boycotting companies that put out adverts with (spurious) links to the WCup then I'm with you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 146
mardy fish
June 16, 2010, 11:35am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Quoted from GrimRob

I'll give it a try but essentially no amount of filtering will get round the problem that there is no atmosphere. I watched ITV for about 5 seconds last night to see if there was any improvement - there wasn't.

For God's sake man. Five seconds is more than enough for the Man to poison your mind. You've betrayed the revolution.

All you sell-outs who are still in the Anti-Vuvuzela Front can go do one. I'm starting the Continuity Anti-Vuvuzela Front right now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 146
theicenian
June 16, 2010, 11:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1

As for boycotting companies that put out adverts with (spurious) links to the WCup then I'm with you.

Speaking of which,does anyone apart from me think the portly gentleman jumping up and down in the middle of the "Mars" advert looks a bit of an idiot. I know he used to play for England etc. but dear heavens thats looks terrible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 146
kamakazebear
June 16, 2010, 12:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +470
It's Brazil next though. South America wont adopt the damn thing themselves will they? That'd equal 10 years between decent world cups.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 146
Rodley Mariner
June 16, 2010, 1:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from theicenian

Speaking of which,does anyone apart from me think the portly gentleman jumping up and down in the middle of the "Mars" advert looks a bit of an idiot. I know he used to play for England etc. but dear heavens thats looks terrible.

My wife works in Asda's head office. Barnes was in a couple of weeks ago doing a promotion with Mars. Apparently he got up on a stage and did the 'World in Motion' rap. Every 20 minutes. For 4 hours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 16, 2010, 1:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

My wife works in Asda's head office. Barnes was in a couple of weeks ago doing a promotion with Mars. Apparently he got up on a stage and did the 'World in Motion' rap. Every 20 minutes. For 4 hours.

I thought Asda were cleverer than that. It would have been in their interests to get him to perform at Tescos.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 146
roundballovalhole
June 16, 2010, 2:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob

The Africans can do what they want in games involving their own teams, but they have now right to ruin games of other teams.

er. . . they have every right to ruin it for others. . . it's their stadium, their country and a cheap plastic instrument is, in this grossly unfair world, an item of paraphenalia that the populace can afford.  If your inability to turn the volume down is what motivates you to set up a campaign. . . maybe you should widen your horizons, enjoy the football for what it is. . . . or turn it off!
Reply: 107 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 16, 2010, 3:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1054

er. . . they have every right to ruin it for others. . . it's their stadium, their country and a cheap plastic instrument is, in this grossly unfair world, an item of paraphenalia that the populace can afford.  If your inability to turn the volume down is what motivates you to set up a campaign. . . maybe you should widen your horizons, enjoy the football for what it is. . . . or turn it off!

This isn't about football at all. The cheap plastic instrument is just a symptom of how FIFA want the game to go worldwide using a blatant lie that it is about broadening the appeal of the game and doing something for the disadvantaged countries of the world.

It hasn't anything at all to do with that - it is totally about money. FIFA don't give a flying fart whether we like the bloody horn or not because the TV audiences in Africa and Asia are sky high for this competition regardless of the dire quality of the football on offer. That means that Budweiser and the rest of the greedy mega-sponsors are over the moon at filling their pockets while the Malaysian bookies are coining it in and taking bets on the time of the first throw-in to Nigeria or whoever.

To think that there is one tiny bit of concern at all in FIFA for African culture or for doing some good by spreading the world's premier competition around like this is naive in the extreme. What we have on our screens is a prime example of the very worst sort of global capitalist exploitation. Just to rub it in we have to hear it as well through a lump of Chinese plastic.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 146
roundballovalhole
June 16, 2010, 3:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from Civvy at last

Wondered how long before the looney left hi-jacked this thread and turned it into the usual racist load of bollox.  The fact is that the majority of people that don't like the vuvuzela's are hacked off because of the constant noise they make. NOT BECAUSE OF THE COLOUR OF THE PERSON BLOWING THEM. IMHO, any game involving a team whose fans usualy use vuvuzela's are more than welcome to take and use them.  Of course they are.  But for all the neutrals taking them to other games and imposing a wall of noise, well for me (and many many others) it spoils it.  

The outrage bus will be leaving shortley.  All aboard, ding ding.

Get it right Civvy. . . YOU and GRIMROB are the ones who are outraged, I am merely arguing for the status-quo.  To dismiss 'race' as a load of old bollox at the world cup IN SOUTH AFRICA displays an ignorance, lack of education/poor grasp of history or maybe just a blinkered view/combination of all.  Football is a largely Black sport in South Africa, if the significance of this is lost on you, then I feel sorry.

As I have said in a previous post, Vuvuzelas are a cheap consumable affordable to the local populace, a populace that considers the Vuvuzela their '12th man', it's their World Cup, it's different, get over it!!

So, bye bye Civvy. . .  where are you going to on your outrage bus?

If you think any of the above makes me a looney.. . . then. . . Hello Civvy, I'm a Looney!  

Reply: 109 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.