livosnose
June 16, 2010, 3:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from 1054

Get it right Civvy. . . YOU and GRIMROB are the ones who are outraged, I am merely arguing for the status-quo.  To dismiss 'race' as a load of old bollox at the world cup IN SOUTH AFRICA displays an ignorance, lack of education/poor grasp of history or maybe just a blinkered view/combination of all.  Football is a largely Black sport in South Africa, if the significance of this is lost on you, then I feel sorry.

As I have said in a previous post, Vuvuzelas are a cheap consumable affordable to the local populace, a populace that considers the Vuvuzela their '12th man', it's their World Cup, it's different, get over it!!

So, bye bye Civvy. . .  where are you going to on your outrage bus?

If you think any of the above makes me a looney.. . . then. . . Hello Civvy, I'm a Looney!  

still fooking annoying though sunshine

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 146
roundballovalhole
June 16, 2010, 3:37pm
Guest User
RRFC. . . . Fifa didn't invent the Vuvuzela, what do you mean it is the way they want to go???
I really think you just need to accept it is happening, you get kind of used to it after a while. . . you'll miss that noise when it is over in July!!!
Reply: 111 - 146
roundballovalhole
June 16, 2010, 3:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from livosnose

still fooking annoying though sunshine

I find it soothing!!!
Reply: 112 - 146
WELLSY_GTFC
June 16, 2010, 3:46pm

GRIMSBY TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Quoted from 1054

I find it soothing!!!

I find it like Ronaldinho's nashers chewing on my lugs.

BYE FISHY PEOPLE
RIP 17.4.11
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 16, 2010, 3:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1054
RRFC. . . . Fifa didn't invent the Vuvuzela, what do you mean it is the way they want to go???
I really think you just need to accept it is happening, you get kind of used to it after a while. . . you'll miss that noise when it is over in July!!!

Of course they didn't invent it but there is no way they will ever ban it because it would upset their target audience. SA is a massive market for football therefore it is a massive market for everything connected with football - that's FIFA's one and only concern. They will never ban the thing simply because it might start a commercial upset. All the stuff about football being a spreader of peace and goodwill is total crap from the likes of Blatter. In FIFA there's one rule for the "developing world" and one rule for the rest. Would Jack Warner still be a big man in FIFA if he wasn't West Indian? If this horn was being blown in Germany or Britain it would have been banned now - but they can't in SA, not for racist reasons but for commercial exploitation reasons.

As far as we are concerned, sod it,  I just turn off the sound so it doesn't bother me except I do miss the commentary a bit.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 146
mardy fish
June 16, 2010, 4:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / 0
And ...... for those who think this horn thing is some kind of long ago cultural icon in SA, it isn't. It's just a cheap Chinese plastic thing that street traders sell to the crowds outside the grounds to make a living.

Of course they didn't invent it but there is no way they will ever ban it because it would upset their target audience. SA is a massive market for football therefore it is a massive market for everything connected with football - that's FIFA's one and only concern. They will never ban the thing simply because it might start a commercial upset.

If it's just a cheap gimmick rather than a cultural icon, then banning it would hardly cause the outcry you suggest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 16, 2010, 5:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mardy fish

If it's just a cheap gimmick rather than a cultural icon, then banning it would hardly cause the outcry you suggest.

Banning it would turn it from a cheap gimmick into a cultural icon.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 146
Green27
June 16, 2010, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Can I say I bloody love the vuvuzelas!

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 146
gobby
June 16, 2010, 7:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Did anyone else notice in the Spain v Switzerland game there was very little from these Vulvas or was it just me blocking them out, I can do this very well as I aint heard the missus moaning once for the last 6 days
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 146
topuphere666
June 16, 2010, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from 1054

Get it right Civvy. . . YOU and GRIMROB are the ones who are outraged, I am merely arguing for the status-quo.  To dismiss 'race' as a load of old bollox at the world cup IN SOUTH AFRICA displays an ignorance, lack of education/poor grasp of history or maybe just a blinkered view/combination of all.  Football is a largely Black sport in South Africa, if the significance of this is lost on you, then I feel sorry.

As I have said in a previous post, Vuvuzelas are a cheap consumable affordable to the local populace, a populace that considers the Vuvuzela their '12th man', it's their World Cup, it's different, get over it!!
So, bye bye Civvy. . .  where are you going to on your outrage bus?

If you think any of the above makes me a looney.. . . then. . . Hello Civvy, I'm a Looney!  

Why the fook do the local South Africans want to be the 12th man of North Korea?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 146
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.