Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: woodi147, June 12, 2010, 9:44pm
if anyone ever blows one near me at a town match i will stick it up there bottom
Posted by: sweetGTFC, June 12, 2010, 9:49pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from woodi147
if anyone ever blows one near me at a town match i will stick it up there bottom

Kills the atmosphere completely.  It just makes me think of premiershite teams who have to rely on blaring out club anthems to get the crowd going.  A tournament with the status of the world cup should never be held in a country simply because it wants to try to prove to the world that it's sorted out it's race problems.  It's a complete flipping nonsense.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), June 12, 2010, 9:52pm; Reply: 2
RUINING THE WORLD CUP FOR ME.
Posted by: immariner, June 12, 2010, 9:53pm; Reply: 3
Yeah, but they drowned out the England band and their insistance on singing our horrible national anthem 10 times a game. Silver lining and all that. (thumbup1)
Posted by: marinette, June 12, 2010, 9:59pm; Reply: 4
What's the point of it?  Not actually supporting either team.  Just sounds like a swarm of giant killer wasps.
Posted by: woodi147, June 12, 2010, 10:02pm; Reply: 5
my head is pounding now. in future i will watch with no sound
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 12, 2010, 10:17pm; Reply: 6
You have to remember that the africans have never seen such a tournamount played in their own country,

With a bit of luck they will run out of puff by the 2nd week.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 12, 2010, 10:29pm; Reply: 7
if you shoved one up boshells bottom it may hurt the gerbil thats been up there for fuckinbg ages
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 13, 2010, 12:18am; Reply: 8
Worst football thing ever thought up is the vuvuzela, just a constant noise that is detracted from from the games up's and downs. It doesn't matter if we are attacking or off for half time oranges, the retards blow them as hard as they can for as long as they can. Part and parcel of football is hearing the crowds reaction to key points in the game. The Africans have ruined this world cup with 'white noise', how ironic.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, June 13, 2010, 12:30am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Marinerz93
The Africans have ruined this world cup with 'white noise', how ironic.

:) :) :)

Posted by: philnicgtfc, June 13, 2010, 12:33am; Reply: 10
Its a right joke, Want to watch the games and all you can hear is them stupid things, makes me want to turn the channel over!
Posted by: Kris2, June 13, 2010, 12:55am; Reply: 11
Quoted from sweetGTFC

Kills the atmosphere completely.  It just makes me think of premiershite teams who have to rely on blaring out club anthems to get the crowd going.  A tournament with the status of the world cup should never be held in a country simply because it wants to try to prove to the world that it's sorted out it's race problems.  It's a complete flipping nonsense.

Would you still be calling it that if town had gotten promoted to the premiership? I doubt it.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 13, 2010, 9:33am; Reply: 12
If the Yanks used them vvvuzela's at Guantanamo the Lefty's would be up in arms !!!
Worse than Waterboarding I reckon !!
Posted by: kamakazebear, June 13, 2010, 11:39am; Reply: 13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm
Posted by: Shiver, June 13, 2010, 12:23pm; Reply: 14
Look on the bright side, the Africans are too poor to go to too many games (17,000 empty seats at one game yesterday) so there will be more fans and less Africans as the finals progress (hopefully anyway, unless they start letting them in free to fill up seats!).
Posted by: marinerian, June 13, 2010, 12:43pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from immariner
Yeah, but they drowned out the England band and their insistance on singing our horrible national anthem 10 times a game. . (thumbup1)

Go live in Alergeria or somewhere then!
Posted by: lukeo, June 13, 2010, 1:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from woodi147

i hate them, they drunk me off at wembley and cardiff
Posted by: biggles9999, June 13, 2010, 1:14pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from lukeo

i hate them, they drunk me off at wembley and cardiff

There were vuvuzela's at Wembley and Cardiff?
Posted by: biggles9999, June 13, 2010, 1:26pm; Reply: 18
In all fairness though the point of moving the World Cup around the countries and continents is partly to give different parts of the world the chance to impose their own national identities on the tournament.

Yes the vuvuzelas are annoying - to us. But if the tournament was held over here then would the Africans/Asians etc find our drumming or bell ringing annoying?
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 13, 2010, 1:32pm; Reply: 19
To be honest it makes no difference to me although I am finding the people claiming that its ruining their whole world cup experience amusing and a little over the top.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 13, 2010, 1:46pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
To be honest it makes no difference to me although I am finding the people claiming that its ruining their whole world cup experience amusing and a little over the top.

Agreed. Although it's annoying it's not going to make me stop watching.

Although I am tempted at the moment, given the shitness of this game.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 13, 2010, 1:55pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from biggles9999
In all fairness though the point of moving the World Cup around the countries and continents is partly to give different parts of the world the chance to impose their own national identities on the tournament.

Yes the vuvuzelas are annoying - to us. But if the tournament was held over here then would the Africans/Asians etc find our drumming or bell ringing annoying?

While I agree it may be their culture it isn't mine and it makes my head ache. Nearly everyone I have spoken to has commented on the irritation the noise produces in the ears and the head without any prompting from me and has said they watched the game with the sound down/off. Several didn't bother to watch the half time break at all either, and didn't bother to try and listen to the pundits at the game.

The problem may be that we are just not used to it but we are providing a massive amount of money to SA through TV coverage and if that noise puts a lot of people off from watching then advertisers and sponsors are going to have something to say about it aren't they?
Posted by: biggles9999, June 13, 2010, 3:56pm; Reply: 22
So then heres a question for you.

The World Cup is in England and at every game people are taking drums or air horns etc.

Other countries start to moan at the constant noise which is not part of their culture and so turn off. Upsetting the advertisers and sponsors. They in turn start putting pressure on FIFA to ban any form of 'equipment'.

How would you take it?

You cant ban it. Its tough, stop moaning and get on with it. I dont like that Pompey Bell but I dont sit here complaining at the guy all game saying that he is ruining the match for me.
Posted by: LH, June 13, 2010, 4:02pm; Reply: 23
English fans don't need drums and horns to make an 'atmosphere'.
Posted by: biggles9999, June 13, 2010, 4:08pm; Reply: 24
Strange, I seem to remember thats what there were a few 'arguments' about on here last season - regarding our new band.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 13, 2010, 4:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from LH

No they don't but so many of them are so thick that they will copy anything anyone else does. If it's new and different it must be good. :(

Posted by: tails303, June 13, 2010, 5:19pm; Reply: 26
all very well moaning about the drum...but its ONE drum not 15 bloody thousand! Annoying horns, poor standard of football...not great so far but like someone said before...first games are always going to be cagey..at least we've got our 'Hard' game out of the way...if we fail to score 2 or 3 against algeria and slovenia, then we don't deserve to advance any further.
Posted by: marinette, June 13, 2010, 5:28pm; Reply: 27
According to Wikipedia:  

"Vuvuzelas have been controversial. They have been associated with permanent noise-induced hearing loss, cited as a possible safety risk when spectators can't hear evacuation announcements, and potentially spread colds and flu germs on a greater scale than coughing or shouting.

The sound level of the instrument has been measured at 131 dB(A) at the opening of the horn and at 113 dB(A) two metres in front of the opening, both dangerously high levels for unprotected ears.

Origin
This type of plastic horn or trumpet has been used in Mexican stadiums since the 1970s.[citation needed] Originally made out of tin, the vuvuzela became popular in South Africa in the 1990s.

Vuvuzelas have been said to be based on kudu horn instruments and thus rooted in African history, but this is disputed.[16][13] During the last quarter of a match, supporters blow vuvuzelas frantically in an attempt to "kill off" their opponents."
Posted by: Garth, June 13, 2010, 5:35pm; Reply: 28
Think of all the money the chinese are making in their sweat shops producing these things, plus all the other parifinalea, they are bound to be selling them outside our grounds soon, like the Mexican wave its senceless but will catch on
Posted by: Tommy, June 13, 2010, 5:42pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from biggles9999

There were vuvuzela's at Wembley and Cardiff?

I can't remember there being many at Wembley but the little atmosphere there could've been at Cardiff was ruined by them. Think it was just horns though not vuvuzela's.
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 13, 2010, 6:31pm; Reply: 30
A trumpet and a couple of drums doesn't even come close to several thousand of those vuvuzela's. They could be good at games if they went with the flow of the game but they don't, it's a constant noise and any constant noise is a nuisance. Part of the game is hearing the crowds reaction and being absobed into it. The wooden ratchets used at games years ago made a right comotion but even they weren't swung for an hour before kick off, during the full 90 minutes and an hour after the match had finished.

The Africans would be better off doing their dancing at games and entertaining us that way than annoying the excrement out of 99% of people by blowing the vuvuzela regardless of what's happening.
Posted by: BIGChris, June 13, 2010, 6:53pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Shiver
Look on the bright side, the Africans are too poor to go to too many games (17,000 empty seats at one game yesterday) so there will be more fans and less Africans as the finals progress (hopefully anyway, unless they start letting them in free to fill up seats!).

There are two tiers of pricing for all games. Locals can get tickets for a fraction of the price of visiting supporters. My ticket for tomorrow cost less than £15 when the cheapest available for a foreign visitor is around £54, That FIFA for you!!
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 13, 2010, 7:02pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from BIGChris

There are two tiers of pricing for all games. Locals can get tickets for a fraction of the price of visiting supporters. My ticket for tomorrow cost less than £15 when the cheapest available for a foreign visitor is around £54, That FIFA for you!!

Perhaps JF needs to have a word with them about "devaluing the product"  !
Posted by: mariner91, June 14, 2010, 12:28am; Reply: 33
What I can't understand is how do they manage to watch any football when they spend all bloody game blowing those twatting things?
Posted by: marinette, June 14, 2010, 5:59am; Reply: 34
Perhaps England fans could start a new fad in the hope that it might catch on.  Would the South Africans be able to do the Hughesy and blow a vuvuzela at the same time, do you think?
Posted by: dangtfc1, June 14, 2010, 9:10am; Reply: 35
Why the fuss about them? It's part and parcel of an African World Cup, in the same way that ironic chants and banter between fans is a key element of the British football crowd. If this is the way the fans celebrate watching the game, so be it. It's not as if it's so bad it makes me want to turn the TV off - I already have the Germans winning 4-0 to do that !!!!
Posted by: topuphere666, June 14, 2010, 9:16am; Reply: 36
Quoted from dangtfc1
Why the fuss about them? It's part and parcel of an African World Cup, in the same way that ironic chants and banter between fans is a key element of the British football crowd. If this is the way the fans celebrate watching the game, so be it. It's not as if it's so bad it makes me want to turn the TV off - I already have the Germans winning 4-0 to do that !!!!

Its the fact that they are used constantly throughtout the games, It wouldnt be as bad if they were heard only when there team has a chance or actually scores.

They kill all other forms of atmosphere.

It wouldnt be as bad if they were only used in the African games, but why the intercourse did we have them for the game against USA, and why would German or Ozzys want to hear them?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 14, 2010, 9:17am; Reply: 37
Quoted from marinette
According to Wikipedia:  

"Vuvuzelas have been controversial. They have been associated with permanent noise-induced hearing loss, cited as a possible safety risk when spectators can't hear evacuation announcements, and potentially spread colds and flu germs on a greater scale than coughing or shouting.

The sound level of the instrument has been measured at 131 dB(A) at the opening of the horn and at 113 dB(A) two metres in front of the opening, both dangerously high levels for unprotected ears.

Origin
This type of plastic horn or trumpet has been used in Mexican stadiums since the 1970s.[citation needed] Originally made out of tin, the vuvuzela became popular in South Africa in the 1990s.

Vuvuzelas have been said to be based on kudu horn instruments and thus rooted in African history, but this is disputed.[16][13] During the last quarter of a match, supporters blow vuvuzelas frantically in an attempt to "kill off" their opponents."

That's interesting because i was sure i had heard these at another World Cup and maybe it was Mexico '86?
Posted by: Mr Happy, June 14, 2010, 9:45am; Reply: 38
Tioe honset I also findf them totally annoying.  I am normally one for embracing others cultures but there is just no excuse for those vivallais or whtever they are called.  Too many spectators are more interested in that than tey are watching the football,

Regards

Mr Happy   :)
Posted by: GrimRob, June 14, 2010, 11:39am; Reply: 39
Totally agree, football is about chanting and that gives so much to the game. I always know in TV games which end "belongs" to which team and in this tournament I haven't a clue. They hardly show any crowd shots on TV either. The crowd might as well not be there. Contrast it with the games at Wembley where they constantly show people in the crowd reacting to incidents in the game.  As a supporter you identify with the people in the crowd.

Football is not just about 22 players and a ball.
Posted by: darren9, June 14, 2010, 12:06pm; Reply: 40
I'm shocked that the English haven't responded with a chant of "you can shove your fcuking vuvuzelas up your a*se (sideways)"
Posted by: topuphere666, June 14, 2010, 12:10pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from darren9
I'm shocked that the English haven't responded with a chant of "you can shove your fcuking vuvuzelas up your a*se (sideways)"

wouldnt be able to hear them anyway.
Posted by: dangtfc1, June 14, 2010, 12:11pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GrimRob
Totally agree, football IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD is about chanting and that gives so much to the game. I always know in TV games which end "belongs" to which team and in this tournament I haven't a clue. They hardly show any crowd shots on TV either. The crowd might as well not be there. Contrast it with the games at Wembley where they constantly show people in the crowd reacting to incidents in the game.  As a supporter you identify with the people in the crowd.

In my opinion Japan/Korea 2002 was where the atmosphere was, by comparison to South Africa, garbage. There was no music, no chanting, just a sort of excitable shriek whenever someone scored, like 50,000 schoolgirls seeing Zac Efron for the first time.

You're right, football is not just about 22 players and a ball. It's about celebrating the differences in the many cultures that support the game.
Posted by: mariner91, June 14, 2010, 12:19pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from dangtfc1
Why the fuss about them? It's part and parcel of an African World Cup, in the same way that ironic chants and banter between fans is a key element of the British football crowd.

How can you say that when this is the first ever African World Cup? If this is the norm I don't expect Fifa to be heading back there any time soon.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 14, 2010, 6:06pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from marinette
Perhaps England fans could start a new fad in the hope that it might catch on.  Would the South Africans be able to do the Hughesy and blow a vuvuzela at the same time, do you think?

I doubt it very much.  Drink driving and killing someone, then trying to run away whilst blowing a ferking great horn might just draw attention. therefore not giving you the chance to hide away until the alcohol level has gone down and your top lawyer has briefed you on what to say.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 14, 2010, 6:18pm; Reply: 45
What I want to know is,  how do they manage to blow the bloody things all the time,

Do they not need to come up for breath now and then ?(banned)
Posted by: ginnywings, June 14, 2010, 6:32pm; Reply: 46
Said during this afternoons game that FIFA have looked into the complaints but are not banning them.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 14, 2010, 8:20pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from ginnywings
Said during this afternoons game that FIFA have looked into the complaints but are not banning them.

Well I'm voting with my remote and cutting down on the amount I'm watching. The TV coverage has been poor and those wretched instruments totally spoil the handful of games that have been half interesting.

Roll on proper football  :)
Posted by: GrimRob, June 14, 2010, 9:39pm; Reply: 48
Send my complaint to FIFA

http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html
Posted by: GrimRob, June 14, 2010, 9:58pm; Reply: 49
Signed the petition.

http://www.stopthevuvuzela.com

I've decided the only way forward is a total boycott of the WC on TV.
Posted by: ClarkeyUTM, June 15, 2010, 1:00am; Reply: 50
Am I the only one who really doesn't mind them at all? They're not that bad, surely?
Posted by: Frontier Psychiatrist, June 15, 2010, 3:33am; Reply: 51
The constant drone of people complaining about the vuvuzelas is far worse than the vuvuzelas themselves...
Posted by: NorfolkImp, June 15, 2010, 7:42am; Reply: 52
Give £2 a month to help a hungry African, and what do they do? Buy a feckin trumpet!  ??)

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 15, 2010, 8:07am; Reply: 53
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Give £2 a month to help a hungry African, and what do they do? Buy a feckin trumpet!  ??)

(100)(100)(100)(100)(banned)
Posted by: benbowers, June 15, 2010, 8:12am; Reply: 54
The constant drone of people complaining about the vuvuzelas is far worse than the vuvuzelas themselves...

yes exactly
its part of african culture get over it
where were you when they were giving the thing to africa
embrace it or put ear muffs on
Posted by: NorfolkImp, June 15, 2010, 8:31am; Reply: 55
Quoted from benbowers

yes exactly

I agree to an extent .... seeing as it is part of South African and African sporting culture in general, I havn't got a problem with it at all, just like the Brazilians and their samba beat ..... but when 2 European sides are playing each other, with a tradition for audible singing then I think that they should be banned, in fact a 3 yr banning order should be imposed on any England fan found guilty!

Posted by: GrimRob, June 15, 2010, 9:10am; Reply: 56
Quoted from benbowers

yes exactly

It's part of Grimsby culture to sign songs about fish but you won't hear them at a Manchester derby.
Posted by: topuphere666, June 15, 2010, 9:13am; Reply: 57
Quoted from benbowers

yes exactly

Like i said, I can understand them at games, where S.Africa, Ghana, Nigeria etc are playing, but should we expect them in a game between USA and England, or Holland Denmark.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 15, 2010, 10:00am; Reply: 58
FIFA's contact form:
http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

The following is a list of partners, sponsors, and supporters from FIFA's list of partners found here:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/partners/index.html

The Facebook pages of a few of the big corporations are also at the bottom of this list.

These links either take you directly to a contact form or put you within a click or two of a contact form (except for Aggreko). Please be polite in your messages. Most of these companies we could do without for a month or two. Let's see if they feel the same way about us.

Sample message which you will need to modify for the numbers:

"This message is to inform you that I am actively discouraging anyone from using your services or products until the use of the vuvuzela is banned from the World Cup and all of FIFA games as long as you continue to support FIFA. Within four days a Facebook group supporting the ban of vuvuzela's has grown to 180,000 members and continues to grow at a fast rate. Please contact FIFA and let them know of the active campaigning against your products because of the use of the vuvuzela."

Contact Form Links:
http://www.adidas.com/us/shared/help/help_contact-us.asp
https://secure.thecoca-colacompany.com/ssldocs/mail/eQuery_advertising.shtml
http://www.emirates.com/
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/contact-us.aspx
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/SupportAll/
https://corporate.visa.com/utility/contactus.jsp
http://contactus.anheuser-busch.com/Email/email.aspx?Site=IB
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericFormSubmit.d
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/contisoccerworld/functions/contact/contact_properties_en.html
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/contact_us/marketing_advertising/marketing_advertising.html
http://www.mtn.com/InvestorRelations/InvestorContacts.aspx
http://www.seara.com.br/fale-conosco/?fale=1
http://www.yinglisolar.com/contact.php
http://www.bp.com/contactusdisplay.do?categoryId=6746&contentId=7021642
https://www.fnb.co.za/contact-us/contact-fnb.html
http://www.onenterframe.co.za/neo_cms/contact-details[25]
http://www.prasa.com/ContactDetails.aspx
https://secure1.telkom.co.za/app/webmastermail
http://www.mahindrasatyam.com/media/media_contact.asp

Facebook Links:
http://www.facebook.com/adidasfootball
http://www.facebook.com/McDonalds
http://www.facebook.com/Sony
http://www.facebook.com/VisaGoWorld
http://www.facebook.com/cocacola
Posted by: LH, June 15, 2010, 10:04am; Reply: 59
Alternatively we could do a whip round to pay BIGChris' legal fees for him after he tonks someone round the head with one..
Posted by: tails303, June 15, 2010, 10:06am; Reply: 60
For fans of the Vuvuzela..go here: http://www.vuvuzela.fm/
Posted by: cocky, June 15, 2010, 10:09am; Reply: 61
Quoted from GrimRob
Totally agree, football is about chanting and that gives so much to the game. I always know in TV games which end "belongs" to which team and in this tournament I haven't a clue. They hardly show any crowd shots on TV either. The crowd might as well not be there. Contrast it with the games at Wembley where they constantly show people in the crowd reacting to incidents in the game.  As a supporter you identify with the people in the crowd.

In this country (and others) chanting is part of the game, obviously not in Africa.  If the world cup comes here in 2018, you'd be quite happy for the Africans to sign petitions and try and ban chanting at games because they can't hear their vuvuzelas over the chanting?
Posted by: LH, June 15, 2010, 10:11am; Reply: 62
It's our bloody game! No-one else can have their own take on it! Annoying as they might be you only have a few weeks left of it.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 15, 2010, 10:15am; Reply: 63
Quoted from cocky

In this country (and others) chanting is part of the game, obviously not in Africa.  If the world cup comes here in 2018, you'd be quite happy for the Africans to sign petitions and try and ban chanting at games because they can't hear their vuvuzelas over the chanting?

I'm yet to go to a game where neutral fans chant
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2010, 10:46am; Reply: 64
Quoted from ClarkeyUTM
Am I the only one who really doesn't mind them at all? They're not that bad, surely?

No your not.

I would rather not have them but i can live with it.

The alternative would be half empty stadiums if they were not filled by the locals.Seen a lot of world cups where the smaller footballing nations have played in half empty stadiums.At least most of these games have a good crowd.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, June 15, 2010, 10:51am; Reply: 65
Lol at Rob! I don't even notice the things after 5 or 10 minutes, don't see what the fuss is about!
Posted by: topuphere666, June 15, 2010, 11:03am; Reply: 66
Quoted from ginnywings

No your not.

I would rather not have them but i can live with it.

The alternative would be half empty stadiums if they were not filled by the locals.Seen a lot of world cups where the smaller footballing nations have played in half empty stadiums.At least most of these games have a good crowd.

Talking of half empty stadiums, did you see Japan v Cameroon, bloody place was empty
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 15, 2010, 11:05am; Reply: 67
Lol at Rob! I don't even notice the things after 5 or 10 minutes, don't see what the fuss is about!

You must have strange hearing. ;)

I couldn't stand it for more than 2 minutes before it literally made my head hurt and I'm pretty used to loud music and like a bit of thumping bass in the car.

One thing I did wonder about was whether the frequency of the note would make a difference but it is probably the sheer volume and continuity that causes the most annoyance. Apart from the irritation though, surely it must be obvious that 2 hours of a noise louder than a jet engine will damage even the best of hearing more than any concert speakers would. I'm amazed that nobody has stopped it on health grounds.

The culture argument is pretty pathetic really. South Africans do chant and they do sing and they do dance. That's their true culture, these things are nothing but a cheap retail con.

Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2010, 11:11am; Reply: 68
Quoted from topuphere666

Talking of half empty stadiums, did you see Japan v Cameroon, bloody place was empty

Yeah,was a bit sparse but i think on the whole,the games have been well attended.Seen a lot of tournaments where the grounds have been thinly populated,especially during the daytime.
Posted by: topuphere666, June 15, 2010, 11:14am; Reply: 69
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah,was a bit sparse but i think on the whole,the games have been well attended.Seen a lot of tournaments where the grounds have been thinly populated,especially during the daytime.

Yea, I imagine todays exciting game between N.Zealand and Slovakia wont be a sell out.

The 2 evening games are always well stocked though.
Posted by: marinette, June 15, 2010, 8:20pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from GrimRob

It's part of Grimsby culture to sign songs about fish but you won't hear them at a Manchester derby.

You probably won't hear them anywhere if they're signed.   :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 15, 2010, 8:28pm; Reply: 71
Where is the intiative of the England fans over there.  You buy some very poor locals a ticket for a game with plenty of spare seats (£50 - 60).  Buy them a Fuzzy Zola each (£15 - 20).  Get them to throw them on the pitch.  Fuzzy zola's get banned.  Pay the locals £10 each for the week or so they would spend in jail and the job's a good un.

Have a whip round at the next England game.  If everyone put in one raand each, enough to get it sorted.  ;)
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, June 15, 2010, 8:29pm; Reply: 72
I thought this was a thread about that South American country with the oil.
Posted by: marinette, June 15, 2010, 8:31pm; Reply: 73
Could the England fans not find an even more annoying instrument that would drown out the gorgonzolas?  
Posted by: JazzMariner, June 15, 2010, 8:38pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Civvy at last
Where is the intiative of the England fans over there.  You buy some very poor locals a ticket for a game with plenty of spare seats (£50 - 60).  Buy them a Fuzzy Zola each (£15 - 20).  Get them to throw them on the pitch.  Fuzzy zola's get banned.  Pay the locals £10 each for the week or so they would spend in jail and the job's a good un.

Have a whip round at the next England game.  If everyone put in one raand each, enough to get it sorted.  ;)
;D ;D

Posted by: barralad, June 15, 2010, 9:02pm; Reply: 75
I thought this was a thread about that South American country with the oil.

(clap2)(clap2)(clap2)
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, June 15, 2010, 9:36pm; Reply: 76

Spot on, Im sick of people banging on about them. All this whining about the world cup and claiming various non entitys are spoiling it for them, "There are too many foreiners on the pundits.", "I get a headache because of the vuvezelas.", "Adrian Chiles is dressed scruffily.", "I dont like the slow motion replays." blah blah blah. Why not just watch the games and turn the sound down if need be.

Posted by: theicenian, June 15, 2010, 9:42pm; Reply: 77

Spot on, Im sick of people banging on about them. All this whining about the world cup and claiming various non entitys are spoiling it for them, "There are too many foreiners on the pundits.", "I get a headache because of the vuvezelas.", "Adrian Chiles is dressed scruffily.", "I dont like the slow motion replays." blah blah blah. Why not just watch the games and turn the sound down if need be.

There's a problem with that solution,I fall asleep it's that boring.

Heresy I know on here but I'm enjoying the twenty/20 cricket,it's more exciting than most of the football at the moment. ;D

Posted by: GrimRob, June 15, 2010, 9:50pm; Reply: 78
The best solution is just not to watch any of it (or cut down drastically), and boycott all companies who sponsor it. Hopefully Africa will never be given a major tournament again.

Posted by: Alfie, June 15, 2010, 10:54pm; Reply: 79
Crikey. Slight overreaction, me thinks.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 15, 2010, 11:05pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Alfie
Crikey. Slight overreaction, me thinks.

This World Crap is over. I stopped watching after 3 days and spend all the time I would have spent watching games trying to spread the word and get this thing banned.
Posted by: ponnyfan, June 16, 2010, 12:01am; Reply: 81
Quoted from LH
Don't tell Gilly  ;)

Posted by: LH, June 16, 2010, 12:51am; Reply: 82
Quoted from ponnyfan
Don't tell Gilly  ;)

I should have really put more emphasis on the "need". I meant it as it's not a neccesity for English football fans to have instruments to create atmosphere.

However, ours isn't too bad  ;)
Posted by: 1054 (Guest), June 16, 2010, 5:23am; Reply: 83
I like the vuvuzelas. . . unique atmosphere for a unique world cup.  All these wanting to impose 'our' values on what is a world game smacks of racism!  Grimrob's attempts to pressure multi-national corporations into pressuring 'the africans' harks back to our shameful imperial past (and is pretty lame as well!)

enjoy the world cup. . . you racist, killjoy, prawn s'wich eating, match day experiencing, corporate boxing, etc etc. . .

or. . . just picture michael caine saying. . . Vuvuzelas. . . thaaasands of em!!!
Posted by: marinette, June 16, 2010, 6:23am; Reply: 84
Part of the enjoyment of watching football, for me at least, is the atmosphere - how it builds up, rises and falls, the reaction of the crowd.  Take that away and I find it disappointing.  That's not racist, it's being honest.

In a different scenario, if it was the good old USA hosting the world cup and England were playing South Africa, then yeah, I wouldn't complain about vuvuzelas then, as it's the opposition's way of supporting their team.  Fair enough.  If, however, the Americans decided to 'celebrate their culture' by broadcasting deafening advertisements for the full ninety minutes, so drowning out the noise of the vuvuzelas and any other support there might be, then I'd be pretty annoyed about that, too, and would say so.

I suppose it's the 'supporting one's team' that is important to me.  In the world cup, fans usually get the chance to do that on the international stage.  They don't seem to be getting much opportunity so far in this world cup.

If I wasn't happy about something and kept quiet about it, solely because the perpetrators were African, then that, to me, would be racist.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 16, 2010, 7:00am; Reply: 85
Quoted from 1054
I like the vuvuzelas. . . unique atmosphere for a unique world cup.  All these wanting to impose 'our' values on what is a world game smacks of racism!  Grimrob's attempts to pressure multi-national corporations into pressuring 'the africans' harks back to our shameful imperial past (and is pretty lame as well!)

enjoy the world cup. . . you racist, killjoy, prawn s'wich eating, match day experiencing, corporate boxing, etc etc. . .

or. . . just picture michael caine saying. . . Vuvuzelas. . . thaaasands of em!!!

Wondered how long before the looney left hi-jacked this thread and turned it into the usual racist load of bollox.  The fact is that the majority of people that don't like the vuvuzela's are hacked off because of the constant noise they make. NOT BECAUSE OF THE COLOUR OF THE PERSON BLOWING THEM. IMHO, any game involving a team whose fans usualy use vuvuzela's are more than welcome to take and use them.  Of course they are.  But for all the neutrals taking them to other games and imposing a wall of noise, well for me (and many many others) it spoils it.  

The outrage bus will be leaving shortley.  All aboard, ding ding.
Posted by: gobby, June 16, 2010, 7:07am; Reply: 86
Aint bothered me ;) 8)
UTMM
Posted by: GrimRob, June 16, 2010, 7:51am; Reply: 87
Quoted from 1054

It's not racist at all. It's just one human doing something which is totally ruining something else for millions of other humans. The Africans can do what they want in games involving their own teams, but they have now right to ruin games of other teams.

Yes it's pretty lame but I am unbelievably angry about this. I spent most of the day thinking about it, it just makes me furious on a minute by minute basis. It's difficult to work or concentrate on anything else. I spent years looking forward to this WC and went to most of the qualifying games. Now it is a matter of total indifference who wins because of these horns. They have ruined the tournament and I want people to realise why.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 16, 2010, 8:33am; Reply: 88
Quoted from GrimRob

They have ruined the tournament and I want people to realise why.

For you. They've ruined the tournament for you.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, June 16, 2010, 8:55am; Reply: 89
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

For you. They've ruined the tournament for you.

WHS
Posted by: GrimRob, June 16, 2010, 9:07am; Reply: 90
Everyone says the tournament is rubbish. Not all of you have realised why yet  :)
Posted by: Alfie, June 16, 2010, 9:11am; Reply: 91
I, for one, have quite enjoyed it so far.

If you don't want to watch... fine. Whatever. No-one cares.
Posted by: Lord Sommet, June 16, 2010, 9:13am; Reply: 92
Quoted from GrimRob
Everyone says the tournament is rubbish. Not all of you have realised why yet  :)

The BBC are trialing the new "non-horn commentary" today via the red button.

ITV turned up the comms mic's yesterday and lowered the ground mic's, you could tell a SLIGHT difference to the rest of the games.

But to your point

Most games so far have been excrement.
The horns are a joke.

Standards of refereeing has been really good though.
Posted by: topuphere666, June 16, 2010, 9:22am; Reply: 93
SSN also reporting that English fans are bringing the horns back in preperation for next season.

If i see one when we go to Gateshead, yes flipping Gateshead I will shove it up his fooking bottom
Posted by: Lord Sommet, June 16, 2010, 9:23am; Reply: 94
Quoted from topuphere666
SSN also reporting that English fans are bringing the horns back in preperation for next season.

If i see one when we go to Gateshead, yes flipping Gateshead I will shove it up his fooking bottom

Who's?

Why's it got to be male fan, I'm sure we have female fans as well, are you suggesting it would be ok for females to blow them and not males? ;)
Posted by: topuphere666, June 16, 2010, 9:25am; Reply: 95
Quoted from Lord Sommet

Who's?

Why's it got to be male fan, I'm sure we have female fans as well, are you suggesting it would be ok for females to blow them and not males? ;)

she can blow something else.

Heard about them Geordie birds
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 16, 2010, 10:39am; Reply: 96

Simple - because the BBC and ITV are British broadcasters sending the games to a British audience at great expense (to us as licence payers in the case of the BBC) who are fully entitled to criticise what they get. Of course it would be good if the comments were all on the subject of the actual football but doesn't this harping on about other things tell us something? The football is so pathetic that people think it isn't worth commenting on. When the game is a boring as 95% of them have been this week a bit of commentary box banter is very welcome relief. Only problem is that to get it you have to try and make out the words from the background racket.

And ...... for those who think this horn thing is some kind of long ago cultural icon in SA, it isn't. It's just a cheap Chinese plastic thing that street traders sell to the crowds outside the grounds to make a living. Rest assured enough of our IQ deficient England followers will bring them back to make MotD a misery next season. The chant is doomed. ;)

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 16, 2010, 10:42am; Reply: 97
I think the horns are only such a big deal because the games have been cagey and haven't really got going yet. Once we get to the final group games and the knockout stages the games will be more exciting and we'll be able to discuss the football more and the vuvuzelas less.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 16, 2010, 10:47am; Reply: 98
I think the horns are only such a big deal because the games have been cagey and haven't really got going yet. Once we get to the final group games and the knockout stages the games will be more exciting and we'll be able to discuss the football more and the vuvuzelas less.

Rodley I really hope you are right. The number of goals scored so far is the lowest for years.

Everyone says the referees are good but this is only because they are following Blatter's dream of making the game a non-contact sport. Even then Whingeraldo was moaning about being actually touched by another player in one or two tackles yesterday. The game would have been much improved if a defender had shunted him into Row Z instead of letting him prance around like some opera diva.

Posted by: GrimRob, June 16, 2010, 10:52am; Reply: 99
Quoted from Lord Sommet

The BBC are trialing the new "non-horn commentary" today via the red button.

I'll give it a try but essentially no amount of filtering will get round the problem that there is no atmosphere. I watched ITV for about 5 seconds last night to see if there was any improvement - there wasn't.
Posted by: topuphere666, June 16, 2010, 11:00am; Reply: 100
The Chris Moyles commentary yesterday was quite amusing. He doing another game on Friday. (Germany I think)
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, June 16, 2010, 11:15am; Reply: 101
Rob, the problem with any campaign to ban vuvuzelas is that it will come across as British/Western Imperialism. It isn't, but its the way it will be seen in Africa and other developing regions. Same as with any comment our government makes on Zimbabwe - there's a knee jerk reaction in Africa that its the "old colonialists at it again". Basically it will intercourse the England 2018 bid. Sad but that's (sports) politics.

I hate the constant drone as much as I hate music which is pumped out full volume at stadia when a goal is scored. It kills spontaneous reaction from the crowd. I'm also disappointed because I was hoping there'd be a lot more joyful dancing and drumming going on (maybe I'm stereotyping Africa!). Instead we get that mournful drone.

As for boycotting companies that put out adverts with (spurious) links to the WCup then I'm with you.
Posted by: mardy fish, June 16, 2010, 11:35am; Reply: 102
Quoted from GrimRob

I'll give it a try but essentially no amount of filtering will get round the problem that there is no atmosphere. I watched ITV for about 5 seconds last night to see if there was any improvement - there wasn't.

For God's sake man. Five seconds is more than enough for the Man to poison your mind. You've betrayed the revolution.

All you sell-outs who are still in the Anti-Vuvuzela Front can go do one. I'm starting the Continuity Anti-Vuvuzela Front right now.

Posted by: theicenian, June 16, 2010, 11:42am; Reply: 103

As for boycotting companies that put out adverts with (spurious) links to the WCup then I'm with you.

Speaking of which,does anyone apart from me think the portly gentleman jumping up and down in the middle of the "Mars" advert looks a bit of an idiot. I know he used to play for England etc. but dear heavens thats looks terrible.

(ban)(ban)(ban)
Posted by: kamakazebear, June 16, 2010, 12:01pm; Reply: 104
It's Brazil next though. South America wont adopt the damn thing themselves will they? That'd equal 10 years between decent world cups.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 16, 2010, 1:17pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from theicenian

Speaking of which,does anyone apart from me think the portly gentleman jumping up and down in the middle of the "Mars" advert looks a bit of an idiot. I know he used to play for England etc. but dear heavens thats looks terrible.

(ban)(ban)(ban)

My wife works in Asda's head office. Barnes was in a couple of weeks ago doing a promotion with Mars. Apparently he got up on a stage and did the 'World in Motion' rap. Every 20 minutes. For 4 hours.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 16, 2010, 1:23pm; Reply: 106

My wife works in Asda's head office. Barnes was in a couple of weeks ago doing a promotion with Mars. Apparently he got up on a stage and did the 'World in Motion' rap. Every 20 minutes. For 4 hours.

I thought Asda were cleverer than that. It would have been in their interests to get him to perform at Tescos. ;)

Posted by: 1054 (Guest), June 16, 2010, 2:43pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from GrimRob

The Africans can do what they want in games involving their own teams, but they have now right to ruin games of other teams.

er. . . they have every right to ruin it for others. . . it's their stadium, their country and a cheap plastic instrument is, in this grossly unfair world, an item of paraphenalia that the populace can afford.  If your inability to turn the volume down is what motivates you to set up a campaign. . . maybe you should widen your horizons, enjoy the football for what it is. . . . or turn it off!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 16, 2010, 3:10pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from 1054

er. . . they have every right to ruin it for others. . . it's their stadium, their country and a cheap plastic instrument is, in this grossly unfair world, an item of paraphenalia that the populace can afford.  If your inability to turn the volume down is what motivates you to set up a campaign. . . maybe you should widen your horizons, enjoy the football for what it is. . . . or turn it off!

This isn't about football at all. The cheap plastic instrument is just a symptom of how FIFA want the game to go worldwide using a blatant lie that it is about broadening the appeal of the game and doing something for the disadvantaged countries of the world.

It hasn't anything at all to do with that - it is totally about money. FIFA don't give a flying fart whether we like the bloody horn or not because the TV audiences in Africa and Asia are sky high for this competition regardless of the dire quality of the football on offer. That means that Budweiser and the rest of the greedy mega-sponsors are over the moon at filling their pockets while the Malaysian bookies are coining it in and taking bets on the time of the first throw-in to Nigeria or whoever.

To think that there is one tiny bit of concern at all in FIFA for African culture or for doing some good by spreading the world's premier competition around like this is naive in the extreme. What we have on our screens is a prime example of the very worst sort of global capitalist exploitation. Just to rub it in we have to hear it as well through a lump of Chinese plastic. :-/

Posted by: 1054 (Guest), June 16, 2010, 3:24pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Civvy at last

Wondered how long before the looney left hi-jacked this thread and turned it into the usual racist load of bollox.  The fact is that the majority of people that don't like the vuvuzela's are hacked off because of the constant noise they make. NOT BECAUSE OF THE COLOUR OF THE PERSON BLOWING THEM. IMHO, any game involving a team whose fans usualy use vuvuzela's are more than welcome to take and use them.  Of course they are.  But for all the neutrals taking them to other games and imposing a wall of noise, well for me (and many many others) it spoils it.  

The outrage bus will be leaving shortley.  All aboard, ding ding.

Get it right Civvy. . . YOU and GRIMROB are the ones who are outraged, I am merely arguing for the status-quo.  To dismiss 'race' as a load of old bollox at the world cup IN SOUTH AFRICA displays an ignorance, lack of education/poor grasp of history or maybe just a blinkered view/combination of all.  Football is a largely Black sport in South Africa, if the significance of this is lost on you, then I feel sorry.

As I have said in a previous post, Vuvuzelas are a cheap consumable affordable to the local populace, a populace that considers the Vuvuzela their '12th man', it's their World Cup, it's different, get over it!!

So, bye bye Civvy. . .  where are you going to on your outrage bus?

If you think any of the above makes me a looney.. . . then. . . Hello Civvy, I'm a Looney!  

(mamba)(mamba)(mamba)(mamba)(tank)(tank)(tank)(lcop)(lcop)(lcop)
Posted by: livosnose, June 16, 2010, 3:27pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from 1054

Get it right Civvy. . . YOU and GRIMROB are the ones who are outraged, I am merely arguing for the status-quo.  To dismiss 'race' as a load of old bollox at the world cup IN SOUTH AFRICA displays an ignorance, lack of education/poor grasp of history or maybe just a blinkered view/combination of all.  Football is a largely Black sport in South Africa, if the significance of this is lost on you, then I feel sorry.

As I have said in a previous post, Vuvuzelas are a cheap consumable affordable to the local populace, a populace that considers the Vuvuzela their '12th man', it's their World Cup, it's different, get over it!!

If you think any of the above makes me a looney.. . . then. . . Hello Civvy, I'm a Looney!  

still fooking annoying though sunshine
Posted by: 1054 (Guest), June 16, 2010, 3:37pm; Reply: 111
RRFC. . . . Fifa didn't invent the Vuvuzela, what do you mean it is the way they want to go???
I really think you just need to accept it is happening, you get kind of used to it after a while. . . you'll miss that noise when it is over in July!!!
Posted by: 1054 (Guest), June 16, 2010, 3:39pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from livosnose

still fooking annoying though sunshine

I find it soothing!!!
Posted by: WELLSY_GTFC, June 16, 2010, 3:46pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from 1054

I find it soothing!!!

I find it like Ronaldinho's nashers chewing on my lugs. ;)

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 16, 2010, 3:51pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from 1054
RRFC. . . . Fifa didn't invent the Vuvuzela, what do you mean it is the way they want to go???
I really think you just need to accept it is happening, you get kind of used to it after a while. . . you'll miss that noise when it is over in July!!!

Of course they didn't invent it but there is no way they will ever ban it because it would upset their target audience. SA is a massive market for football therefore it is a massive market for everything connected with football - that's FIFA's one and only concern. They will never ban the thing simply because it might start a commercial upset. All the stuff about football being a spreader of peace and goodwill is total crap from the likes of Blatter. In FIFA there's one rule for the "developing world" and one rule for the rest. Would Jack Warner still be a big man in FIFA if he wasn't West Indian? If this horn was being blown in Germany or Britain it would have been banned now - but they can't in SA, not for racist reasons but for commercial exploitation reasons.

As far as we are concerned, sod it,  I just turn off the sound so it doesn't bother me except I do miss the commentary a bit.

Posted by: mardy fish, June 16, 2010, 4:20pm; Reply: 115
And ...... for those who think this horn thing is some kind of long ago cultural icon in SA, it isn't. It's just a cheap Chinese plastic thing that street traders sell to the crowds outside the grounds to make a living.

Of course they didn't invent it but there is no way they will ever ban it because it would upset their target audience. SA is a massive market for football therefore it is a massive market for everything connected with football - that's FIFA's one and only concern. They will never ban the thing simply because it might start a commercial upset.

If it's just a cheap gimmick rather than a cultural icon, then banning it would hardly cause the outcry you suggest.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 16, 2010, 5:28pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from mardy fish

If it's just a cheap gimmick rather than a cultural icon, then banning it would hardly cause the outcry you suggest.

Banning it would turn it from a cheap gimmick into a cultural icon. ;)

Posted by: Green27, June 16, 2010, 7:27pm; Reply: 117
Can I say I bloody love the vuvuzelas!
Posted by: gobby, June 16, 2010, 7:31pm; Reply: 118
Did anyone else notice in the Spain v Switzerland game there was very little from these Vulvas or was it just me blocking them out, I can do this very well as I aint heard the missus moaning once for the last 6 days ;D 8)
UTMM
Posted by: topuphere666, June 16, 2010, 7:34pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from 1054

Why the fook do the local South Africans want to be the 12th man of North Korea?
Posted by: pontoon442, June 16, 2010, 7:43pm; Reply: 120
seem to remember it was very similar at cardiff play-off final with the cheap (£4) plastic horns. what a racket :(
Posted by: gillygill, June 16, 2010, 8:27pm; Reply: 121
As far as I'm concerned, they're not loud enough as I can still hear Mark Lawrensen or Mick McCarthy depending which side's got the coverage!!  Seriously though, they stopped bothering me after about 15 minutes of the first game and I've watched or listened to every game since.
Posted by: gingervalentino, June 16, 2010, 9:59pm; Reply: 122
I think they will die a fairly quick death now that SA are all but out of the tournament, there will be less local interest in the tournament as more Foreigners flock to SA as the exciting stages of the tournament approach(the first round of games always prove to be fairly meaningless as was proved once again this year)
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, June 16, 2010, 10:03pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from pontoon442
seem to remember it was very similar at cardiff play-off final with the cheap (£4) plastic horns. what a racket :(

Yeah it was flipping awful. Terrible. Made a bad day worse.

Posted by: topuphere666, June 16, 2010, 10:05pm; Reply: 124
South Africa were very poor tonight.
Wonder if Fergie regrets getting rid of Forlan.
Posted by: gingervalentino, June 16, 2010, 10:08pm; Reply: 125
Forlan thrives on being the target man/main part of a team which i doubt would be a position Fergie would want to let him fill so therefore he wont regret it IMO
Posted by: GrimRob, June 16, 2010, 10:45pm; Reply: 126
Whyteleafe have banned them, the first English club!

http://nln24.com/news/story/whyteleafe-are-first-to-ban-vuvuzelas

and they've been banned from the tennis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/7834031/Vuvuzelas-banned-from-Wimbledon-by-All-England-Club.html
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 16, 2010, 11:03pm; Reply: 127
DON'T TELL GRIM ROB SSSHHHHHHH

For Grim Rob  ;)
Posted by: vuvuzela_hater, June 16, 2010, 11:26pm; Reply: 128
I don't like them. I'd go as far to say I hate them.  I see the scots are trying to ban them.  I don't know why they have to make a stupid excuse for banning them like 'it will drown out the noise of safety tannoy announcements' and not just ban them cos they're a friggin pain.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 16, 2010, 11:28pm; Reply: 129
I used to have a dislike of them but them annoying so many people so much has made me appreciate them a bit.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, June 17, 2010, 12:20am; Reply: 130
Quoted from GrimRob

Desperate attempt to attract fans at Cwoydon's third club. Nice little ground, or at least it looked like it when I went in a blizzard a few years back.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, June 17, 2010, 12:46am; Reply: 131
Especially doing them during national anthems is a bit bad
Posted by: GrimRob, June 17, 2010, 11:26am; Reply: 132
Dortmund have banned them now.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6210748,00.html

Only matter of time before an English league club bans them. It could be us! Err...no it couldn't
Posted by: JazzMariner, June 17, 2010, 1:08pm; Reply: 133
have just tried listening to the Argy game on Radio 5 but soon switched it over, as I couldn't stand the horrible whining noise. But then I never did like Robbie Savage  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: gingervalentino, June 17, 2010, 1:11pm; Reply: 134
Everyone has got to admit that the noise is dying down slowly right? Watching the argie game now and for the first time this competition i can actually hear the crowd over the vuvuzelas
Posted by: MK Mariner, June 17, 2010, 1:17pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from gingervalentino
Everyone has got to admit that the noise is dying down slowly right? Watching the argie game now and for the first time this competition i can actually hear the crowd over the vuvuzelas

May have something to do with the 3 nil tonking SA got last night?
Posted by: gingervalentino, June 17, 2010, 1:25pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from MK Mariner

May have something to do with the 3 nil tonking SA got last night?

I said the same thing earlier in this thread, now that SA are close enough to being out there will be less local interest in the games and more genuine supporters of the teams will start to turn up in SA to fill the grounds as the games get more exciting/nailbiting/meaningfull which then means more chanting/less vuvuzelas
Posted by: Tinymariner, June 17, 2010, 1:33pm; Reply: 137
If there are going to be less vuvuzelas now at games, does this mean that I will have to endure McCarthy, Lawrenson or Burley talking bollox and I wish someone would shove one of those horns down Chiles' throat, annoying, boring twit..IMO  
Posted by: MK Mariner, June 17, 2010, 1:34pm; Reply: 138

I said the same thing earlier in this thread, now that SA are close enough to being out there will be less local interest in the games and more genuine supporters of the teams will start to turn up in SA to fill the grounds as the games get more exciting/nailbiting/meaningfull which then means more chanting/less vuvuzelas

Hopefully so. I had to laugh as all their passionate supporters flooded for the exits after the second goal went in! Your not vuvuzelaing any more....
Posted by: ginnywings, June 17, 2010, 7:49pm; Reply: 139
Put your telly on Grimrob.Just heard the crowd singing for the first time.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 17, 2010, 8:01pm; Reply: 140

Until England play. The idiots will have bought up all the spare horns. ;)

Posted by: EvilFish, June 17, 2010, 8:25pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from MK Mariner

Hopefully so. I had to laugh as all their passionate supporters flooded for the exits after the second goal went in! Your not vuvuzelaing any more....

Yeah, you'd never see that at BP.........

.....our supporters start flipping off with 30 minutes left and the game at 0-0
Posted by: GrimRob, June 17, 2010, 10:23pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from ginnywings
Put your telly on Grimrob.Just heard the crowd singing for the first time.

I dipped my toe in the water tonight and watched most of the France game. It's not as bad as it was earlier in the tournament but the crowd and atmosphere that does come through is negligable. They show very few crowd shots as well in this WC and often put replays on at the wrong time so it has to be said the whole TV package is poor, but it is better than it was.

I'll watch the England match tomorrow whereas at one time I was contemplating watching it on Ceefax.
Posted by: GrimRob, June 17, 2010, 10:50pm; Reply: 143
Been done to death this one but here's the Vuvu version

Posted by: ginnywings, June 17, 2010, 10:54pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from GrimRob

I dipped my toe in the water tonight and watched most of the France game. It's not as bad as it was earlier in the tournament but the crowd and atmosphere that does come through is negligable. They show very few crowd shots as well in this WC and often put replays on at the wrong time so it has to be said the whole TV package is poor, but it is better than it was.

I'll watch the England match tomorrow whereas at one time I was contemplating watching it on Ceefax.

Not much of an atmosphere i grant you but then France were abysmal and their fans didn't look too happy.I think the TV companies here have toned down the crowd volume because of the complaints.Hopefully the vulvas will now disappear and the volume will increase.

Your right about the coverage though.Pretty poor and too many oh so slow replays at inappropriate times.Guess ITV and BBC have no say over the camerawork.

Posted by: Biccys, June 18, 2010, 12:38am; Reply: 145
Still, gotta love the Frogs getting beat!
Posted by: benbowers, June 18, 2010, 6:40pm; Reply: 146
a south african kid came in today to school with a vuvuzela
i threatened to do bad things to the vuvuzela
i can bear it in south africa but they are so loud and not part of english culture
keep them in south africa
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:39pm