Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 179 Guests

Ryan Bennett

This thread currently has 62,117 views. Print
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 27, 2022, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid
Andy Todd is the best player i've seen in a town shirt. He had so much class

Very good. But, in terms of technical ability, Trevor Whymark was sublime.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 317
Les Brechin
September 27, 2022, 11:05am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Very good. But, in terms of technical ability, Trevor Whymark was sublime.

Joe Waters for me, best player to ever don the famous black and white stripes in my opinion.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 317
diehardmariner
September 27, 2022, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Poojah

Townsend mkII is the obvious one I’ve forgotten. Only young as you say but at least two divisions below his level when he was with us, as he proved by leaving us to go straight into a League One Scunny side.

I started watching Town as a kid, months after Birtles retired so I never had the pleasure of seeing him in a black and white shirt, but Beasant just oozed class didn’t he? If Bennett could look anywhere near that good it would be something truly to behold.

I only got the back end of Birtles' time at Town, a fair bit of that was as a centre-back rather than striker too.  Sure I remember one game where he played at the back with Futch!  Regardless, he still had ten yards on everyone just because of his reading of the game.

Beasant was just miles and miles and then some more above that level.  A couple of errors in quick succession had seen him quickly go under the bus at Chelsea and it was unreal to think he was then walking out at Blundell Park a few weeks later.  If I was to try and compare it now, it would be like Aaron Ramsdale having a few bad games and then rocking up on loan at Blackpool for a month.

I think his impact was even greater here because he was replacing Rhys Wilmot, who was largely a quite poor goalkeeper in my memory.  Decent shot stopper but dreadful on crosses and for a big bloke had absolutely no command of his area.  Prior to that we had Steve Sherwood, another who was prone to staying on his goal-line and Paul Reece who just didn't have the height to command an area.  Beasant came in and it was almost surreal, immediately he made that whole 18 yard area his own.  The defence pushed up another 10-15 yards, which naturally had a knock-on across the whole team.  It wasn't just because we were keeping teams out that we had a great run when he was here, he gave the other ten players so much confidence.  

It was never on the cards but had we held onto him for the remainder of that season, I'm in no doubt our next season would have been in the top flight.  He was that good.

It's nearly 30 years since his short spell, since then I've only seen a small handful of 'keepers who've come close to commanding their area in the same as he did.  Aidan Davison, Steve Mildenhall, Wayne & Dean Henderson and our present custodian between the sticks.  Davison was immaculate for 20 months but probably blotted his copybook when he returned in 2003.  Mildenhall was vastly underrated, whereas the Henderson's were short-term impacts.  Crocombe has got better and better since he got his chance and looks to have kicked on another level under the guidance of Croudson this season.  
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 317
HertsGTFC
September 27, 2022, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,988
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Les Brechin

Joe Waters for me, best player to ever don the famous black and white stripes in my opinion.

Agree with this but in that ere closely followed by Kevin Moore and Trevor Whymark.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 317
Son of Cod
September 27, 2022, 11:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,330
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Surrey97
Once he’s improved his fitness, I’d expect to see Bennett sign initially until the end of the season.

Is that just a hunch or is there any intel behind that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 317
Northbank Mariner
September 27, 2022, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Son of Cod

Funnily enough, someone on twitter this morning claiming to have a "reliable" source said exactly the same thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 317
MuddyWaters
September 27, 2022, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Les Brechin

Wouldn't disagree overall, I was just judging in terms of technical ability. Joe brought so much more, notably the will to win and great leadership.

In the meantime, in terms of ability, can I dream of a GTFC eleven that includes the likes of Taylor, McAtee, Hunt, Scannell and Bennett?
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 317
Surrey97
September 27, 2022, 1:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Son of Cod

Not just a hunch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 317
FPVmariner
September 27, 2022, 6:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Surrey97

Not just a hunch

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 317
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 28, 2022, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,951
Gold Stars: 180
Birtles was sheer class

Beasant still the best town goal keeper I’ve seen

Andy Todd awesome game against wolves away (then had to make it back to Chiswick from molineux in 2 hours to go on holiday!)

Nigel Jemson (loaned from wendy) and sir Clive worked brilliant together

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 317
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.