Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Trawler, September 22, 2022, 6:39pm
Even if he’s only training with us and it goes no further than this what an amazing influence to have around the football club right now.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 22, 2022, 6:46pm; Reply: 1
I think he will probably end up signing. The only problem is we've got an embarrassment of riches in his position.

If only it was a primo centre forward.
Posted by: Davec, September 22, 2022, 6:47pm; Reply: 2
Hurst is probably wanting him to keep fit as he's his first signing at Rotherham? ;)

Posted by: Poojah, September 22, 2022, 6:48pm; Reply: 3
Hypothetical question (for now); Bennett knocks on the manager’s door and says he’s willing to take £1,500 a week to play for Town on a one-year deal. What would you do?

One the one hand, you’d be getting a 32-year old centre half presumably still capable of playing in the second tier and arguably one of if not the best defender in the division.

On the flip side, you’d have to leave two of Waterfall, Smith and Maher out the side (plus Pearson), when we’ve already got the second best defensive record in the league, and risk upsetting the apple cart.

There is a course a third-option of moving to a back three but that’s potentially even more disruptive to our flow.

Do you reckon he’s any good as a target man?
Posted by: Trawler, September 22, 2022, 6:49pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think he will probably end up signing. The only problem is we've got an embarrassment of riches in his position.

If only it was a primo centre forward.

We can field a B Team of defenders in the pizza platter shield.  
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 22, 2022, 6:49pm; Reply: 5
If he played literally any other position he’d be an absolute must to sign, but I can’t for the life of me see how we fit him in with 3 quality options already for 2 positions.
Posted by: Poojah, September 22, 2022, 7:02pm; Reply: 6
Just to add to the potential conundrum, a smidge over two years ago he was signed by and playing for Leicester City, who finished 5th in the Premier League (missing out on Champions League qualification on the final day).

He’s not Danny Collins, who was 36 and hadn’t played in the PL for 5 years prior to signing him (and still did alright by the way), he’s a different prospect altogether.

The more I think about it the more I feel if money wasn’t a blocker then you’d have to do it. He’s the same age as Luke Waterfall, who has never played above League One (and even then only fleetingly). If you’re prepared to throw sentiment out of the window, it’s a no-brainer in terms of ability.  
Posted by: gtfc98, September 22, 2022, 7:17pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Poojah
Just to add to the potential conundrum, a smidge over two years ago he was signed by and playing for Leicester City, who finished 5th in the Premier League (missing out on Champions League qualification on the final day).

He’s not Danny Collins, who was 36 and hadn’t played in the PL for 5 years prior to signing him (and still did alright by the way), he’s a different prospect altogether.

The more I think about it the more I feel if money wasn’t a blocker then you’d have to do it. He’s the same age as Luke Waterfall, who has never played above League One (and even then only fleetingly). If you’re prepared to throw sentiment out of the window, it’s a no-brainer in terms of ability.  

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it. If he's available and not expensive it's a must.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, September 22, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 8
Personally, I would not disturb the pairing of Waterfall and Smith for anyone. Why have we won four on the bounce away? Pundits say it is solidity at the back which allows us to soak up pressure and hit opponents on the break. Waterfall is our leader and the team look up to him. Leave well alone!
Posted by: GhostDan, September 22, 2022, 7:28pm; Reply: 9
Very very difficult decision for PH, if he ever has to make it. Totally agree with what Lew said, anywhere else on the pitch and we’d be begging for somebody with his CV to play for us.

As brilliant as Smith is, and has been, do you prioritise a player that is your own for the next 2/3 seasons?  

Maher is fit again and was very impressive the other night aswell.

Not a selection decision I’d look forward to making!
Posted by: golfer, September 22, 2022, 7:52pm; Reply: 10
We don't need him so why sign him ?
Posted by: MarinerDevil, September 22, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 11
Don't forget that, in all likelihood, we won't have Smith or Pearson next season. If we could sign Bennett on a two-year deal, we'd have three outstanding centre backs for this level and the one above, provided Maher lives up to his potential.
Posted by: thefish, September 22, 2022, 8:11pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from golfer

I agree, we don’t ‘need’ him.

However, if he ends up being an improvement on Waterfall, he would be worth it.
Posted by: immariner, September 22, 2022, 8:16pm; Reply: 13
Played right back at times for us all those eons ago and looked alright, is also i'm sure savvy enough to play a defensive mid role. If we can sign him on a 2 or 3 year deal and it's not a stretch to.do so, absolute no brainer. I don't see it happening though. If he's living round here now, makes you wonder what Lincoln and Barnsley are waiting for.
Posted by: Phil the cod, September 22, 2022, 8:20pm; Reply: 14
Things like this can potentially upset the dressing room, imagine your Luke waterfall, you've been outstanding for this club Inthe past year, you've got a great partnership with another top defender and got great players in your position in reserve, then along comes a former fans favourite and quality ex premier League player, in this case, as good as Ryan Bennett was for us, and however much I'd like him in the squad, I'd never risk upsetting what we have now, you see it time and again at clubs, the wrong signing at the wrong time, Hurst isn't daft, and we won't be signing Ryan Bennett.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 22, 2022, 9:15pm; Reply: 15
Let me get this straight. We don't sign a player that would be the best centre back at the club and probably the entire league because it would upset the apple cart?

Priceless.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 22, 2022, 9:20pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Phil the cod
Things like this can potentially upset the dressing room, imagine your Luke waterfall, you've been outstanding for this club Inthe past year, you've got a great partnership with another top defender and got great players in your position in reserve, then along comes a former fans favourite and quality ex premier League player, in this case, as good as Ryan Bennett was for us, and however much I'd like him in the squad, I'd never risk upsetting what we have now, you see it time and again at clubs, the wrong signing at the wrong time, Hurst isn't daft, and we won't be signing Ryan Bennett.

Call me old fashioned but I want us to sign the best players we can get and much as I like Luke Waterfall, he’s not anywhere near Ryan Bennett’s level.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 22, 2022, 9:48pm; Reply: 17
As much as I like waterfall , if Bennett is available and wants to sign we have to . We want the club to move forward and this would possibly be the best signing in this division this year .
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 22, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Poojah

Absolutely, he's a completely different class to players in our league.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 22, 2022, 10:13pm; Reply: 19
I’d sign him could be the difference between play offs and automatic promotion 🤞
Posted by: Stew0_0, September 22, 2022, 10:14pm; Reply: 20
Release Goundry and move Pearson to a coaching role?
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 22, 2022, 10:32pm; Reply: 21
If we can sign him you sign him, even if its just to stop your rivals picking up another piece. Ignoring the fact that Bennett will make the squad better and under Hurst if Bennett did take someones place in the squad he will of earnt it and not just because he's played in the Prem
Posted by: denni266, September 22, 2022, 10:36pm; Reply: 22
Who would want to be a manager eh
Posted by: toontown, September 22, 2022, 10:44pm; Reply: 23
If we signed him and then he took someone's place, that is likely to be because he is better. If he replaced Waterfall at the back would he be better enough to make up for waterfalls goals? If he replaced smith would he still have retained enough pace for us to not be left slow in CD? I genuinely have no idea. That's without even thinking of maher. It'd be a brilliant problem to have and, if we don't already, we'd have easily the strongest central defence in the league you'd think. But would it be money well spent when we are surely targeting the ever elusive striker to replace taylor and or mcatee longer term - I can see both sides to the argument.

If we did sign him that would surely leave Pearson (who is himself a perfectly competent lg2 defender in my opinion) as surplus and leaving in January. I wonder if Wrexham would have the balls to admit they were idiots to let him go in the first place and pay us money to get him back, which they could easily afford but would be a tad embarrassing.
Posted by: Maringer, September 22, 2022, 11:02pm; Reply: 24
If Bennett was to sign, the other central defenders on the books would have to play really, really, really well to win a place, even on the bench.

Seems unlikely he'll end up here as there are some relatively local League 1 clubs who would be delighted to sign him. If the price is right.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 23, 2022, 1:56am; Reply: 25
Ryan could sign for Hull and we could sign Smith on a permanent deal.

Problem solved   ;D
Posted by: Oly1987, September 23, 2022, 2:10am; Reply: 26
imagine at the end of the 20/21 that we would be sitting just outside the playoffs with a player of Bennetts talents training with us and us mulling over whether we should be trying to sign him. What a mental turnaround of a year and a half eh.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 23, 2022, 3:01am; Reply: 27
Might have been mentioned before but he could be a great replacement for Andy Smith if he got recalled back to the Targers who are leaking goals badly at the moment.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 23, 2022, 6:39am; Reply: 28
Again give your heads a wobble if you wouldn’t sign him.
Players understand that manager will play his best players.

There’s levels and bennet is near the top of them.
Posted by: male private Nale, September 23, 2022, 6:59am; Reply: 29
All this conjecture, it is clear that when Hurst signs for Rotherham his first transfer into the club will be a fit Ryan Bennett who proved himself whilst training at Town.
Posted by: smokey111, September 23, 2022, 7:34am; Reply: 30
Quoted from male private Nale
All this conjecture, it is clear that when Hurst signs for Rotherham his first transfer into the club will be a fit Ryan Bennett who proved himself whilst training at Town.

You must have a spring in your step with the Rotherham rumour?
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, September 23, 2022, 8:26am; Reply: 31
Quoted from hampshiremariner
Personally, I would not disturb the pairing of Waterfall and Smith for anyone. Why have we won four on the bounce away? Pundits say it is solidity at the back which allows us to soak up pressure and hit opponents on the break. Waterfall is our leader and the team look up to him. Leave well alone!

Throw in a settled back line, which is a must at any level and you have a recipe for success.  

The back 4 is the one part of the pitch you don't chop and change unless absolutely necessary.
Posted by: FPVmariner, September 23, 2022, 8:55am; Reply: 32
If we have the opportunity to upgrade in any area we must take it, sentiment hinders progress.  However, I haven’t seen Ryan play for many years, the levels he’s played at suggest that he should be better but I don’t actually know.
Posted by: ska face, September 23, 2022, 9:45am; Reply: 33
Like someone else has said, this isn’t a 36-year-old Danny Collins who hadn’t played in the top flight for 5 years. Bennett was starting in the Prem just over 2 years ago. We all saw against Forest that the Premiership is on a totally different level to what it was when we were last in touching distance. If there’s half a chance of Bennett coming in, sign him.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, September 23, 2022, 10:04am; Reply: 34
Yes the current group of CBs is good, but....

One of the players isn't our player and could be recalled by his parent club.
One of them clearly does not have a long term future at the club (Pearson), as a player at least.
One of them has hardly killed a ball in anger this season.

Throw in the likelihood of an injury or 2 and a fit Bennett (who can also play full back and possibly midfield) looks a no brainer.

And here's another factor. When he played for Town his girlfriend was a Cleethorpes girl. If he's still with her she may want to be back in the area. I don't know this, pure conjecture.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 23, 2022, 10:07am; Reply: 35
Yes the current group of CBs is good, but....

One of the players isn't our player and could be recalled by his parent club.
One of them clearly does not have a long term future at the club (Pearson), as a player at least.
One of them has hardly killed a ball in anger this season.

Throw in the likelihood of an injury or 2 and a fit Bennett (who can also play full back and possibly midfield) looks a no brainer.

And here's another factor. When he

played for Town his girlfriend was a Cleethorpes girl. If he's still with her she may want to be back in the area. I don't know this, pure conjecture.

They are back in the area. Bought a house down humberston ave in the summer
Posted by: Corkyefes, September 23, 2022, 10:37am; Reply: 36
If we had the opportunity to sign Bennett and it is financially viable, then if we want to progress, we should sign him.

As much as I'm happy with the defensive partnership we have at the minute, I would suggest that Bennett is the better option over Waterfall, plus the fact Andy Smith is only a loanee.

We have to remember that Bennett played Premiership football just over 2 years ago.
We wouldn't get many chances to sign that calibre of player in our current position.
Posted by: lee65, September 23, 2022, 11:21am; Reply: 37
Play him just in front of the back 4?, he would be excellent carrying the ball forward too
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 23, 2022, 11:32am; Reply: 38
I'll got shot for this..but going on his performances so far this season I'd take Bennett over Efete....
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 23, 2022, 11:33am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'll got shot for this..but going on his performances so far this season I'd take Bennett over Efete....

I would like to see Cropper have a proper go when back from injury.
He's done nothing wrong since coming in, and was vital in the play-offs IMO
Posted by: RonMariner, September 23, 2022, 11:38am; Reply: 40
Given Hull’s disastrous defensive frailties this season there has to be a danger they would recall Smih. They have been giving away some real comedy goals.

If Smith was recalled we would be left with Waterfall and Maher, plus a past his sell by date Pearson, so not really the embarrassment of riches we might think.

Bennet is a class player. A definite improvement on what we have currently. So yes, it would make sense to sign him if it made sense financially.
Posted by: chaos33, September 23, 2022, 11:44am; Reply: 41
Firstly, that’s a disrespectful remark about Shaun Pearson who has never let us down when called upon and still has plenty to offer. Shaun is 33. Ryan Bennet, on the other hand, who isn’t fit, and who you haven’t seen play in a long time is 32. He’s not ‘past his sell by date’ though.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, September 23, 2022, 11:46am; Reply: 42
I thought Smith was on a season long loan with no recall, is that incorrect?
Posted by: Barrattstander, September 23, 2022, 11:53am; Reply: 43
Well, looking at the EFL regulations Hull could only recall Smith during the Winter Transfer Window........unless anyone knows better.

56.1.2  any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the Winter Transfer Window;
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 23, 2022, 11:55am; Reply: 44
Seeing all these arguments about the waterfall/Bennett situation, is that because in reality, we could’ve had the same situation with holohan/fabregas
Posted by: PPMariner, September 23, 2022, 11:58am; Reply: 45
I don't have a clue on the finances but if we were to leave those aside - if he was keen, we sign Bennett without a moment's hesitation.

He's only played one season outside of Prem/Championship since he left us 12 years ago, doesn't seem overly injury prone & he's only 32 - not far past peak for a defender.

He also scores goals, including 10 across the three full seasons in L1 & L2 when he was a nipper. With a decade of guile added, it wouldn't be a stretch to think he'd be an opposition nightmare at every set-piece in L2. Throw Waterfall into the same mix and there's extra space & carnage galore. We'll have a centre back or two on the top scorers list.

Personally can't countenance a second of debate about this. Alas, if fit - unless he's a fan - he must surely receive a more appealing offer elsewhere.

If he's a fan, though, then who knows...
Posted by: golfer, September 23, 2022, 1:52pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Hagrid

You don't know the number by any chance ?
Posted by: Phil the cod, September 23, 2022, 2:29pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Hagrid

Indeed, spotted in the co-op in new Waltham.
Posted by: Maringer, September 23, 2022, 2:44pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Phil the cod

Indeed, spotted in the co-op in new Waltham.

He probably thought he was nipping into the Harvest Moon for a quick pint...
Posted by: DB, September 23, 2022, 3:20pm; Reply: 49
I believe Bennett had his contract with Swansea cancelled by mutual agreement just before the transfer window closed, thus ending his lucrative income early and making him a free agent. As posted he has relocated to Humberston and we can assume this is his base for the future.

JS has said that the club want to improve with every transfer window and as a free agent, this does not apply to Bennett, so we could sign him now. A high salary and money is not an issue for Bennett otherwise he would have kept his contract at Swansea. He still wants to play, which is why he is training with us, and unless Hull is interested, given their dire defensive performance, then we could sign him.

A quality player and the squad is moving in the right direction.
Posted by: Garth, September 23, 2022, 3:24pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from RonMariner
Given Hull’s disastrous defensive frailties this season there has to be a danger they would recall Smih. They have been giving away some real comedy goals.

If Smith was recalled we would be left with Waterfall and Maher, plus a past his sell by date Pearson, so not really the embarrassment of riches we might think.

Bennet is a class player. A definite improvement on what we have currently. So yes, it would make sense to sign him if it made sense financially.

What a excrement comment about Shaun, still a very good commanding player , who is far from finished
Posted by: GyMariner, September 23, 2022, 3:30pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Garth

What a excrement comment about Shaun, still a very good commanding player , who is far from finished

Watch this space with Shaun. There's a few non-playing roles being introduced shortly....
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 23, 2022, 3:31pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Garth

Agee completely!!

I’ve given this a thought and though we know Bennet has quality & pedigree looking at our goals conceded record so we actually need him to become a promotion contender in this league?
Posted by: RonMariner, September 23, 2022, 3:42pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Garth

Yes, I agree it was a very poor choice of words.

The fact is though that he is clearly fourth choice and hasn’t featured as a regular for a while now. Clearly there is a considerably difference between being a squad player at NL/L2 level and a guy that was a regular in a team that finished in the Championship playoffs recently. So I do think we would improve the squad by signing Bennet.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 23, 2022, 3:56pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from golfer

You don't know the number by any chance ?

Maybe he's taken some time out from football to do a spot of decorating. There was a house down there up for sale that was decorated dreadfully.
Posted by: lukeo, September 23, 2022, 4:12pm; Reply: 55
I thought Shaun was already doing a non playing role within the club (ie coaching youngsters) I'd assume something like this was offered ehich enticed him back.... Pure guess work by me but it wouldn't surprise me as any club he's been at he's always been seen as respectable and always in the community doing stuff.
Posted by: Phil the cod, September 23, 2022, 8:17pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Garth

Shaun Pearson should be above any negative comments, he's been one of our most loyal, trustworthy players since maybe John McDermott. Plus he's a decent player and a model professional.
Makes me laugh how some people don't value loyalty.
Posted by: Phil the cod, September 23, 2022, 8:21pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from lukeo
I thought Shaun was already doing a non playing role within the club (ie coaching youngsters) I'd assume something like this was offered ehich enticed him back.... Pure guess work by me but it wouldn't surprise me as any club he's been at he's always been seen as respectable and always in the community doing stuff.

He also takes time out in his private down time to talk to fans and support local kids football.
He's never let us down when called upon.
Him and scannell are my favourite players.
Posted by: Tommy, September 23, 2022, 9:08pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from lukeo

As of this season Shaun Pearson now coaches one of the age group teams in the Club's Academy, as does Danny Rose.

Re: Pearson as a player - I'd have no worries about him stepping into the side really. Don't think he's going to be first choice now, as is probably obvious, but he's definitely a player we can trust to step in and play at this level (perhaps better alongside Smith or Maher rather than Waterfall).
Posted by: gtfc98, September 23, 2022, 9:45pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Tommy

As of this season Shaun Pearson now coaches one of the age group teams in the Club's Academy, as does Danny Rose.

Re: Pearson as a player - I'd have no worries about him stepping into the side really. Don't think he's going to be first choice now, as is probably obvious, but he's definitely a player we can trust to step in and play at this level (perhaps better alongside Smith or Maher rather than Waterfall).

Danny Rose as in the conspiracy nutter?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 23, 2022, 10:32pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from gtfc98

Danny Rose as in the conspiracy nutter?

One of our values as a club now is inclusivity.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, September 24, 2022, 12:42am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Maringer

He probably thought he was nipping into the Harvest Moon for a quick pint...

Hang on a minute.....  as an exile, who’s route to BP when on visits home doesn’t take me through New Waltham ..... are you telling me The Harvest Moon is now a Co-op?  :(
Posted by: Maringer, September 24, 2022, 7:29am; Reply: 62
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

Hang on a minute.....  as an exile, who’s route to BP when on visits home doesn’t take me through New Waltham ..... are you telling me The Harvest Moon is now a Co-op?  :(

Yup. Caught me by surprise earlier this year when I took my lad to a birthday party in New Waltham. I've no idea how long it has been a shop for but it must have been years since I drove past.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 24, 2022, 7:46am; Reply: 63
Harvest Moon became one of those dreadful Ember Inn pubs a while back, like the Rose n Crown and Wheatsheaf. I reckon it’s been a coop about 5 years…
Posted by: golfer, September 24, 2022, 7:55am; Reply: 64
Co-Op opened Dec. 2019
Posted by: FPVmariner, September 24, 2022, 8:00am; Reply: 65
Quoted from golfer
Co-Op opened Dec. 2019

Judging by the average age of the clientele the last time I visited the Harvest Moon, The Co-Op probably bought the place as an upselling opportunity.
Posted by: DB, September 24, 2022, 6:31pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from golfer

Looking at the performance of Efete, Glennon and Smith today (Swindon) we definitely do. A quality player like Bennett would make all of them up their game.

Posted by: Simon, September 24, 2022, 7:38pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from DB

Looking at the performance of Efete, Glennon and Smith today (Swindon) we definitely do. A quality player like Bennett would make all of them up their game.

Should always be looking to improve and Ryan Bennett would do just that, on and off the pitch!! so if he's available and we can afford his wage demands its a no brainer

Posted by: buckstown, September 24, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 68
Does Ryan Bennett want to sign for us?
Posted by: Dave Gilberts Left Peg, September 24, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from buckstown
Does Ryan Bennett want to sign for us?

We are Grimsby Town, everybody wants to sign for us
UTM
Posted by: DB, September 25, 2022, 12:06pm; Reply: 70
We could take him on a non-contract basis, which would leave him free to move to a high club up the pyramid. Apart from benefiting us it would also give him game time and improve his match fitness.

A win-win situation.
Posted by: Surrey97, September 27, 2022, 1:37am; Reply: 71
Once he’s improved his fitness, I’d expect to see Bennett sign initially until the end of the season.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 27, 2022, 6:57am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Surrey97
Once he’s improved his fitness, I’d expect to see Bennett sign initially until the end of the season.

Christ what a selection of CB’s
Posted by: Poojah, September 27, 2022, 7:39am; Reply: 73
If that were to materialise, it could be possibly our best signing, pound for pound relative to our level, for many a year. Defensively probably going back as far as Andy Todd, and just how good was he!?

A fit Bennett would be scary good in League Two. Would be great to see.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 27, 2022, 8:31am; Reply: 74
2 years ago we had Kyle Bennett, and the difference in class of Bennetts would be a real indicator of how far the club's moved forward.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 27, 2022, 9:39am; Reply: 75
Could say the same about Greens
Posted by: Poojah, September 27, 2022, 9:47am; Reply: 76
Could say the same about Greens

And Waterfalls. The one we had under Holloway was awful.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 27, 2022, 10:29am; Reply: 77
Quoted from Poojah
If that were to materialise, it could be possibly our best signing, pound for pound relative to our level, for many a year. Defensively probably going back as far as Andy Todd, and just how good was he!?

A fit Bennett would be scary good in League Two. Would be great to see.

On paper I'd say this would exceed that.

Todd, as excellent as he was, arrived at a side struggling of what is now the Championship.  But at that point in his career he had not quite established himself as a Premier League regular, in and out of the Bolton and Charlton sides that yo-yoed between the top two divisions (arguably more to do with Phil Brown's jaw than his ability mind).   Even after joining Blackburn after us he couldn't hold down a starting place for long.

Bennett has played far more games in the top flight (prior to any transer) and his drop (if it happens) is far greater than to the relegation scrap of the second tier.  Of course there's also the fact that Todd was a loan signing, Bennett would be permanent.   Todd was a good five years younger though.

The only I can think of that would come close is Dave Beasant.  He was the Chelsea No 1 just over a month before he arrived on loan with us and was only 3 years since he won his 2 England caps.

Maybe Garry Birtles, but he had already spent a few seasons in the third tier with Notts County before arriving at BP.

The one player who always stands out for me looking at in terms of the level they're playing at is Conor Townsend, but he was a young lad in both his spells.  One who was always, always going to end up at a much higher level.
Posted by: Poojah, September 27, 2022, 10:41am; Reply: 78
Quoted from diehardmariner

On paper I'd say this would exceed that.

Todd, as excellent as he was, arrived at a side struggling of what is now the Championship.  But at that point in his career he had not quite established himself as a Premier League regular, in and out of the Bolton and Charlton sides that yo-yoed between the top two divisions (arguably more to do with Phil Brown's jaw than his ability mind).   Even after joining Blackburn after us he couldn't hold down a starting place for long.

Bennett has played far more games in the top flight (prior to any transer) and his drop (if it happens) is far greater than to the relegation scrap of the second tier.  Of course there's also the fact that Todd was a loan signing, Bennett would be permanent.   Todd was a good five years younger though.

The only I can think of that would come close is Dave Beasant.  He was the Chelsea No 1 just over a month before he arrived on loan with us and was only 3 years since he won his 2 England caps.

Maybe Garry Birtles, but he had already spent a few seasons in the third tier with Notts County before arriving at BP.

The one player who always stands out for me looking at in terms of the level they're playing at is Conor Townsend, but he was a young lad in both his spells.  One who was always, always going to end up at a much higher level.

Townsend mkII is the obvious one I’ve forgotten. Only young as you say but at least two divisions below his level when he was with us, as he proved by leaving us to go straight into a League One Scunny side.

I started watching Town as a kid, months after Birtles retired so I never had the pleasure of seeing him in a black and white shirt, but Beasant just oozed class didn’t he? If Bennett could look anywhere near that good it would be something truly to behold.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 27, 2022, 10:52am; Reply: 79
Andy Todd is the best player i've seen in a town shirt. He had so much class
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 27, 2022, 10:57am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Hagrid
Andy Todd is the best player i've seen in a town shirt. He had so much class

Very good. But, in terms of technical ability, Trevor Whymark was sublime.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 27, 2022, 11:05am; Reply: 81
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Joe Waters for me, best player to ever don the famous black and white stripes in my opinion.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 27, 2022, 11:06am; Reply: 82
Quoted from Poojah

Townsend mkII is the obvious one I’ve forgotten. Only young as you say but at least two divisions below his level when he was with us, as he proved by leaving us to go straight into a League One Scunny side.

I started watching Town as a kid, months after Birtles retired so I never had the pleasure of seeing him in a black and white shirt, but Beasant just oozed class didn’t he? If Bennett could look anywhere near that good it would be something truly to behold.

I only got the back end of Birtles' time at Town, a fair bit of that was as a centre-back rather than striker too.  Sure I remember one game where he played at the back with Futch!  Regardless, he still had ten yards on everyone just because of his reading of the game.

Beasant was just miles and miles and then some more above that level.  A couple of errors in quick succession had seen him quickly go under the bus at Chelsea and it was unreal to think he was then walking out at Blundell Park a few weeks later.  If I was to try and compare it now, it would be like Aaron Ramsdale having a few bad games and then rocking up on loan at Blackpool for a month.

I think his impact was even greater here because he was replacing Rhys Wilmot, who was largely a quite poor goalkeeper in my memory.  Decent shot stopper but dreadful on crosses and for a big bloke had absolutely no command of his area.  Prior to that we had Steve Sherwood, another who was prone to staying on his goal-line and Paul Reece who just didn't have the height to command an area.  Beasant came in and it was almost surreal, immediately he made that whole 18 yard area his own.  The defence pushed up another 10-15 yards, which naturally had a knock-on across the whole team.  It wasn't just because we were keeping teams out that we had a great run when he was here, he gave the other ten players so much confidence.  

It was never on the cards but had we held onto him for the remainder of that season, I'm in no doubt our next season would have been in the top flight.  He was that good.

It's nearly 30 years since his short spell, since then I've only seen a small handful of 'keepers who've come close to commanding their area in the same as he did.  Aidan Davison, Steve Mildenhall, Wayne & Dean Henderson and our present custodian between the sticks.  Davison was immaculate for 20 months but probably blotted his copybook when he returned in 2003.  Mildenhall was vastly underrated, whereas the Henderson's were short-term impacts.  Crocombe has got better and better since he got his chance and looks to have kicked on another level under the guidance of Croudson this season.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 27, 2022, 11:12am; Reply: 83
Quoted from Les Brechin

Joe Waters for me, best player to ever don the famous black and white stripes in my opinion.

Agree with this but in that ere closely followed by Kevin Moore and Trevor Whymark.
Posted by: Son of Cod, September 27, 2022, 11:19am; Reply: 84
Quoted from Surrey97

Is that just a hunch or is there any intel behind that?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 27, 2022, 11:44am; Reply: 85
Quoted from Son of Cod

Funnily enough, someone on twitter this morning claiming to have a "reliable" source said exactly the same thing
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 27, 2022, 12:44pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Les Brechin

Wouldn't disagree overall, I was just judging in terms of technical ability. Joe brought so much more, notably the will to win and great leadership.

In the meantime, in terms of ability, can I dream of a GTFC eleven that includes the likes of Taylor, McAtee, Hunt, Scannell and Bennett?
Posted by: Surrey97, September 27, 2022, 1:02pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Son of Cod

Not just a hunch
Posted by: FPVmariner, September 27, 2022, 6:08pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Surrey97

Not just a hunch

(hide1)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 28, 2022, 10:28pm; Reply: 89
Birtles was sheer class

Beasant still the best town goal keeper I’ve seen

Andy Todd awesome game against wolves away (then had to make it back to Chiswick from molineux in 2 hours to go on holiday!)

Nigel Jemson (loaned from wendy) and sir Clive worked brilliant together
Posted by: marinerjase, September 28, 2022, 10:41pm; Reply: 90
Birtles made playing at the back look easy, like he was always a step ahead and always had time, never rushed. His reading of the game was fantastic. Even at winding down phase of career he stood out.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 29, 2022, 12:09am; Reply: 91
Quoted from marinerjase
Birtles made playing at the back look easy, like he was always a step ahead and always had time, never rushed. His reading of the game was fantastic. Even at winding down phase of career he stood out.

Same with Futch
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 11:16am; Reply: 92
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Birtles was sheer class

Beasant still the best town goal keeper I’ve seen

Andy Todd awesome game against wolves away (then had to make it back to Chiswick from molineux in 2 hours to go on holiday!)

Nigel Jemson (loaned from wendy) and sir Clive worked brilliant together

Great shout on Jemson.  Brought in to cover injury to Super Clive wasn't he, then a quicker than expected recovery saw them play together.  Another who was brought down here because he just fell out of favour at a higher level and really stood out.  

Really good interview with him on Undrthecosh a while back, sadly didn't mention anything of his spell at Town.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 11:21am; Reply: 93
Just checked The Bible/Dave Wherry's Official History.  2 goals in 6 games for Jemson.

4 games paired with Clive.  2 wins and 2 draws.  We scored 10 goals in those games.  That season we finished 16th but only 12 points off the play-offs, but picked up just 4 points from our last 21 (scoring two goals) and 8 from our last 30.
Posted by: lee65, September 29, 2022, 11:21am; Reply: 94
Quoted from MuddyWaters

"Classiest" player I've ever seen wear the shirt :-)

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 29, 2022, 11:33am; Reply: 95
Any news on Bennett, which this thread is supposed to be about?
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 11:39am; Reply: 96
Short answer, no.

Long answer, you'll do well to find many threads on here that don't deviate from the original topic very quickly.  Otherwise the conversation dries up very quickly.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 29, 2022, 11:42am; Reply: 97
Short answer, no.

Long answer, you'll do well to find many threads on here that don't deviate from the original topic very quickly.  Otherwise the conversation dries up very quickly.

What's wrong with starting a new thread if you want to discuss former Town players?

Posted by: lee65, September 29, 2022, 11:43am; Reply: 98
Quoted from 123614
Any news on Bennett, which this thread is supposed to be about?

meow  ;)

Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 11:50am; Reply: 99
Quoted from 123614

What's wrong with starting a new thread if you want to discuss former Town players?

But then you wouldn't get drunk off, so where's the fun? ;)
Posted by: Exiled in Leicester, September 29, 2022, 12:28pm; Reply: 100
Beasant was pure class , if my memory serves me right at the time he played for us  we were in the promotion places for Division One (or the Premier League as it became ) ............the rumour at the time was that the Board refused to sanction paying for a further loan and we then slipped down the table . My memory is not the best though so can anyway else remember if that was the case (huh1)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 29, 2022, 12:54pm; Reply: 101
Just checked The Bible/Dave Wherry's Official History.  2 goals in 6 games for Jemson.

4 games paired with Clive.  2 wins and 2 draws.  We scored 10 goals in those games.  That season we finished 16th but only 12 points off the play-offs, but picked up just 4 points from our last 21 (scoring two goals) and 8 from our last 30.

Think we played Barnsley and absolutely tore them a new one with jemson/mend on a up front. 4-0/4-2 rings a bell.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 12:59pm; Reply: 102
His loan spell ended in late November, he was back in the Chelsea starting eleven in the New Year, so maybe it was never on the cards.

I remember reading in Alan Buckley's book that feelers were put if Chelsea had anyone they could loan us, probably expecting a young lad (we must have had some link there as Nick Colgan joined the year after on loan) and was surprised when Beasant was put forward.

Either way, we won 6 out of his 7 games here (other game was a draw with West Ham).  After he went back we lost 4 on the spin and even that run of defeats came with Steve Sherwood back in goal.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 1:02pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Think we played Barnsley and absolutely tore them a new one with jemson/mend on a up front. 4-0/4-2 rings a bell.

Southend at home?  4-0 win, 2 a piece for Clive and Gary Childs.  Was Jemson's last game.

We beat Barnsley 4-2 the season before at home on Boxing Day - Gilbert (2), Groves & Watson.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 29, 2022, 1:02pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from 123614

There is an Ex-players thread specifically for people to talk about former Town players.

If we're being really fussy, maybe all of the Ryan Bennett talk should be in there too?
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 29, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 105
His loan spell ended in late November, he was back in the Chelsea starting eleven in the New Year, so maybe it was never on the cards.

I remember reading in Alan Buckley's book that feelers were put if Chelsea had anyone they could loan us, probably expecting a young lad (we must have had some link there as Nick Colgan joined the year after on loan) and was surprised when Beasant was put forward.

Either way, we won 6 out of his 7 games here (other game was a draw with West Ham).  After he went back we lost 4 on the spin and even that run of defeats came with Steve Sherwood back in goal.

It was Rhys Wilmott who was in goal after Beasant had gone back.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, September 29, 2022, 1:09pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah I remember one of the first games after Beasant returned to Chelsea, an away loss to Wolves and Wilmotts flapping at a corner costing us a goal.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 29, 2022, 1:14pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Yeah I remember one of the first games after Beasant returned to Chelsea, an away loss to Wolves and Wilmotts flapping at a corner costing us a goal.

Wilmot was always flapping about. Mind you I was stood behind his goal when he saved a penalty at Barnsley.
Posted by: Maringer, September 29, 2022, 1:22pm; Reply: 108
Didn't we actually sell Wilmott for a profit, though? I remember being flabbergasted when he went!
Posted by: Poojah, September 29, 2022, 1:27pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Maringer
Didn't we actually sell Wilmott for a profit, though? I remember being flabbergasted when he went!

Somewhat bizarrely, he did go on to make an FA Cup final appearance for Premier League Crystal Palace not long after.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 29, 2022, 1:45pm; Reply: 110

But then you wouldn't get drunk off, so where's the fun? ;)

A Hole

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 29, 2022, 2:09pm; Reply: 111

It's brilliant what you can find on YouTube.  :)

[youtube]Bjyel4lSCyE[/youtube]
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, September 29, 2022, 2:10pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from arryarryarry

Wilmot was always flapping about.

He wasn't very good but at least his poor form lead to the loan of Dave Beasant.

And he wasn't as bad as Tommy Forecast.
Posted by: kamakazebear, September 29, 2022, 2:15pm; Reply: 113

He wasn't very good but at least his poor form lead to the loan of Dave Beasant.

And he wasn't as bad as Tommy Forecast.

What a season that was for keepers, Colgan and Forecast!
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 2:46pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Les Brechin

Sorry, it should have read 'even that run of defeats ended with Steve Sherwood back in goal'.

Wilmott was back in goal (fit again after injury) when Beasant went back for 3 games, lost them all. Sherwood came in for the defeat away at Derby before the aforementioned  Boxing Day win over Barnsley at BP.
Posted by: Poojah, September 29, 2022, 2:46pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from kamakazebear

Let’s not forget this guy…

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mark-oxley-of-grimsby-town-in-action-during-the-coca-cola-league-two-picture-id98277399?s=612x612[/img]
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 3:11pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Poojah

Let’s not forget this guy…

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mark-oxley-of-grimsby-town-in-action-during-the-coca-cola-league-two-picture-id98277399?s=612x612[/img]

To be fair to Oxley, he wasn't that bad at all.  But very much a reflection of what was going on at the club at the time.  Toxic environment with equally toxic senior 'professionals' at the club who needed to be shifted out.  

Shifting them out costs money which meant limited funds to bring in experienced professionals.  Oxley, who has gone onto have a fairly decent career since at the lower levels, has only just turned 32.  The other loan 'keeper that year, Josh Lillis, was 22 when he signed.  So 3 goalkeepers signed on loan during the season, with ages of 20, 22 and 22 when they signed.

Other signings (loan or permanent) that season under Woods:

Wes Fletcher (19)
Michael Coulson (21)
Ben Wright (yeah, me neither) (21)
Mark Hudson (29 and fresh from ripping it up in the Conf. North with Gainsborough Trinity)
Nicky Featherstone (21)
Damien McCrory (19)
Olly Lancashire (19)
Paris Cowan-Hall (19)
Tommy Wright (25)
Lee Peacock (33)
Ashley Chambers (19)
Dean Sinclair (25)
Jude Stirling (27)
Jamie Devitt (19)

Important to not forget that when Woods took over the side included Jamal Shahin, a lad we had decided against offering professional terms to following his time in the youth spell two years previous but was rescued from Sunday League.  In fact there was a point where he looked one of our better players!

Just can't think why we went down that year...
Posted by: rancido, September 29, 2022, 3:25pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from 123614

A Hole

Yes and you are digging a hole.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 29, 2022, 3:31pm; Reply: 118

To be fair to Oxley, he wasn't that bad at all.  But very much a reflection of what was going on at the club at the time.  Toxic environment with equally toxic senior 'professionals' at the club who needed to be shifted out.  

Shifting them out costs money which meant limited funds to bring in experienced professionals.  Oxley, who has gone onto have a fairly decent career since at the lower levels, has only just turned 32.  The other loan 'keeper that year, Josh Lillis, was 22 when he signed.  So 3 goalkeepers signed on loan during the season, with ages of 20, 22 and 22 when they signed.

Wes Fletcher (19)
Michael Coulson (21)
Mark Hudson (29 and fresh from ripping it up in the Conf. North with Gainsborough Trinity)
Nicky Featherstone (21)
Damien McCrory (19)
Olly Lancashire (19)
Paris Cowan-Hall (19)
Tommy Wright (25)
Lee Peacock (33)
Ashley Chambers (19)
Dean Sinclair (25)
Jude Stirling (27)
Jamie Devitt (19)

Important to not forget that when Woods took over the side included Jamal Shahin, a lad we had decided against offering professional terms to following his time in the youth spell two years previous but was rescued from Sunday League.  In fact there was a point where he looked one of our better players!

Re the keepers: the 3 loanees played 11 games, which resulted in a surprisingly decent 4 wins. Leaving Colgan with an incredible record of 5 wins in 35!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 29, 2022, 3:41pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from rancido

Yes and you are digging a hole.

Dug quite a lot in my time mate, 6 x 3.

Posted by: Abdul19, September 29, 2022, 3:58pm; Reply: 120
Wonderful mix of machismo and Partridge.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 29, 2022, 4:30pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from Abdul19

Re the keepers: the 3 loanees played 11 games, which resulted in a surprisingly decent 4 wins. Leaving Colgan with an incredible record of 5 wins in 35!

And from memory alone, he did his best during one of those 5 wins to make it 4!

About 2:50 in...
[youtube]xbQFS3m2WqQ[/youtube]
Posted by: kevikov, September 29, 2022, 7:45pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from kamakazebear

Shockingly, Tommy four past was a part of the England set up when he came on loan wasn’t he? That “lob” header from the guy on the six yard line is etched in my memory.
Posted by: Poojah, September 29, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 123

And from memory alone, he did his best during one of those 5 wins to make it 4!

About 2:50 in...
[youtube]xbQFS3m2WqQ[/youtube]

Coulson’s handling somewhat better on the day than Colgan’s…
Posted by: forza ivano, September 29, 2022, 8:16pm; Reply: 124

i saw 2-3 of the games he played in and can only echo what has been said before. Far and away the best keeper i ever saw in a Town shirt. We were just so solid and confident under him, marshaled the back 4, v. vocal , and with his ability i never expected us to concede a goal. I wonder if he realises just how much we appreciated him (btw it was a damn good move for him as well - had had some howlers at Chelsea but went back a new man)
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, September 29, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 125

Wes Fletcher (19)
Michael Coulson (21)
Nicky Featherstone (21)
Damien McCrory (19)
Olly Lancashire (19)
Paris Cowan-Hall (19)
Tommy Wright (25)
Lee Peacock (33)
Ashley Chambers (19)
Dean Sinclair (25)
Jude Stirling (27)
Jamie Devitt (19)

Christ, that's a depressing read!

Posted by: Abdul19, September 29, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from kevikov

Shockingly, Tommy four past was a part of the England set up when he came on loan wasn’t he? That “lob” header from the guy on the six yard line is etched in my memory.

Not sure if he'd ever played for the under 19s or similar, but by the time he came to us he was 3rd choice at a League 1 club, having never played a senior game.
Posted by: Poojah, September 29, 2022, 8:51pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Abdul19

Not sure if he'd ever played for the under 19s or similar, but by the time he came to us he was 3rd choice at a League 1 club, having never played a senior game.

He remained there for another 4 years into his mid-twenties, by which time Southampton were back in the Premier League. Something not right there for a bloke who was clearly never going to be a professional footballer.
Posted by: gtfc98, September 29, 2022, 8:59pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from kevikov

From memory Southampton abandoned their sell on fee for Bale to sign Forecast from Southampton, so he was probably a 20m goalkeeper!
Posted by: blundellpork, September 29, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Poojah

Coulson’s handling somewhat better on the day than Colgan’s…

We were always going down with Colgan as first choice. He’d been second and third choice for the majority of his career before suddenly becoming first choice with us.

Somehow he conceded an alarming number of goals that seemed to loop in over his shoulder.
Posted by: Sigone, September 29, 2022, 9:29pm; Reply: 130
Or free kicks that he thought was going wide so never bothered to move for them, that did my head in cos we was in front in that game and playing well and could of broken our losing streak.  Was is it bury or rochdale..something like that
Posted by: Norseman, September 30, 2022, 12:07am; Reply: 131
Played walking footy against both whymark and jemson
Posted by: Abdul19, September 30, 2022, 6:10am; Reply: 132
Quoted from Sigone
Or free kicks that he thought was going wide so never bothered to move for them, that did my head in cos we was in front in that game and playing well and could of broken our losing streak.  Was is it bury or rochdale..something like that

https://twitter.com/onthisGTFCday/status/1496395122338144257?s=09
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 30, 2022, 10:59am; Reply: 133
Can't quite figure out who the player is who manages to jump under the cross just before Devitt's goal but it's like a five-year-old scared of heading the ball!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 30, 2022, 1:36pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from Poojah

He remained there for another 4 years into his mid-twenties, by which time Southampton were back in the Premier League. Something not right there for a bloke who was clearly never going to be a professional footballer.

I've often wondered how he trained? He must have had something about him to be touted as a future England No1 and remaining on the payroll of a Premier League club for a few years after his loan spell here. Next time someone from that era is interviewed, I'd like to know what he trained like because it may have been that he fell to pieces once he had a crowd. The Covid pandemic may have been an ideal time for Tommy Forecast to shine?
Posted by: BrMarin, September 30, 2022, 4:49pm; Reply: 135
Haha Tommy Fourpast. Got to be the worst Town player of all time 🤣
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 30, 2022, 5:39pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from blundellpork

Somehow he conceded an alarming number of goals that seemed to loop in over his shoulder.

Something to do with the bells (🥃) or the bells (🕍)
Posted by: Simon, September 30, 2022, 5:46pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from BrMarin
Haha Tommy Fourpast. Got to be the worst Town player of all time 🤣

Worse than Dale Banton never  >:( >:( >:(

Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, September 30, 2022, 5:50pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Simon

Worse than Dale Banton never  >:( >:( >:(

Yes!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 30, 2022, 6:35pm; Reply: 139
For me, Mickael Antione-Currier was the worst ever player.

Can't believe he went on to have a half-decent career in Scottish football.
Posted by: GyMariner, September 30, 2022, 6:44pm; Reply: 140
Hurst makes it clear it’s a training only agreement, just to get us back on track  ;)
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 30, 2022, 6:49pm; Reply: 141
Chris Jones scored off his behind ......got to be up amoung the worse
Posted by: jaygy, September 30, 2022, 7:05pm; Reply: 142
Peter beagrie......never seen a "winger" walk the whole game and not break into a sweat
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 30, 2022, 7:28pm; Reply: 143
All this talk of the "worst" player ever in a town shirt....Brodie was an absolute dog...and anyone signed by Mike Newell...
As for Bennett, really hope he signs, maybe not as a starter but his experience would be absolute gold for the young lads to learn from.
Posted by: immariner, September 30, 2022, 7:49pm; Reply: 144
All this talk of the "worst" player ever in a town shirt....Brodie was an absolute dog...and anyone signed by Mike Newell...
As for Bennett, really hope he signs, maybe not as a starter but his experience would be absolute gold for the young lads to learn from.

Sorry bud, but that's mental. We wouldn't sign him to be anything other than a starter due to the relative outlay. We have Giles Coke and Luke Waterfall to do the role you're talking about. Would be one hell of an expensive mentor.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 30, 2022, 7:57pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from immariner

Sorry bud, but that's mental. We wouldn't sign him to be anything other than a starter due to the relative outlay. We have Giles Coke and Luke Waterfall to do the role you're talking about. Would be one hell of an expensive mentor.

In fairness, what's the relative outlay?... Bennett is in no need for money, and I'm sorry to disagree but Waterfall is no Ryan Bennett, a man that's played at the top table under top managers, that kind of knowledge and experience is priceless in my eyes.
Posted by: immariner, September 30, 2022, 8:28pm; Reply: 146

In fairness, what's the relative outlay?... Bennett is in no need for money, and I'm sorry to disagree but Waterfall is no Ryan Bennett, a man that's played at the top table under top managers, that kind of knowledge and experience is priceless in my eyes.

He'd be our highest paid player mentor obviously. You don't sign someone on that kind of wonga to regale youngsters with anecdotes of being megged by Diego Costa, they're getting that for free right now
Posted by: fishcake63, September 30, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 147
smith at 20 yr old over bennett at 32 red x me but honestly this lad is electric sick of repeating myself he will be top class
Posted by: ginnywings, September 30, 2022, 8:40pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from fishcake63
smith at 20 yr old over bennett at 32 red x me but honestly this lad is electric sick of repeating myself he will be top class

But Smith is not our player and probably never will be.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 30, 2022, 8:44pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from immariner

He'd be our highest paid player mentor obviously. You don't sign someone on that kind of wonga to regale youngsters with anecdotes of being megged by Diego Costa, they're getting that for free right now

But that's making an assumption he'll be our highest paid player,  I'm not so sure he would be. It's not about mentoring the young lads, it's about education, training, passing on knowledge, Coke does the mentoring.
The chance of signing someone of Bennets calibre, as long as the deal works for all parties, is a no brainer imo
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, September 30, 2022, 8:45pm; Reply: 150

But that's making an assumption he'll be our highest paid player,  I'm not so sure he would be. It's not about mentoring the young lads, it's about education, training, passing on knowledge, Coke does the mentoring.
The chance of signing someone of Bennets calibre, as long as the deal works for all parties, is a no brainer imo

So why wouldn't you have him as a starter?

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 30, 2022, 8:56pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

So why wouldn't you have him as a starter?

I never said I wouldn't, on a personal level, I would.

3 at the back of Waterfall, Smith/Maher and Bennet with an inform Efete and Glennon/Amos as wing backs would be up there with the strongest in the division.
I'm saying if he signed(told by Hurst he's not guaranteed to start) I'd be delighted.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, September 30, 2022, 9:43pm; Reply: 152

I never said I wouldn't, on a personal level, I would.

3 at the back of Waterfall, Smith/Maher and Bennet with an inform Efete and Glennon/Amos as wing backs would be up there with the strongest in the division.
I'm saying if he signed(told by Hurst he's not guaranteed to start) I'd be delighted.

As for Bennett, really hope he signs, maybe not as a starter

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 1, 2022, 7:48am; Reply: 153

told by Hurst.....you're picking out a line I used without context, which I later added to.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 1, 2022, 8:28am; Reply: 154
Anybody who thinks Ryan Bennett wouldn’t walk straight into our team if he did sign are absolutely deluded.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 1, 2022, 10:25am; Reply: 155
10 days ago I thought we didn’t need him, after the last 2 games maybe I was wrong. We’ve looked a bit disorganised oddly enough and having more experience of that calibre would be a good thing.

Though better than they’ve probably ever been the facilities and set up at Town won’t be what he’s become accustomed and the remuneration on offer definitely wouldn’t be anywhere near, but you never know maybe he’s at the stage where he’s can get by just earning what to him maybe “pin money” whilst playing for a good manager with a great set of lads in a club that’s moving forward.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 1, 2022, 11:34am; Reply: 156
Not that I believe this, but what if the introduction of Bennett in training is the reason the current Centre backs have dipped in form?
Posted by: Poojah, October 1, 2022, 11:52am; Reply: 157
Not that I believe this, but what if the introduction of Bennett in training is the reason the current Centre backs have dipped in form?

Smith had one bad game. Maher has only played once. Waterfall has been fine.

I’m not sure there’s even a pattern to interpret, personally.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 1, 2022, 10:48pm; Reply: 158
By all accounts the CB's all played well today.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 1, 2022, 10:53pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from RonMariner
By all accounts the CB's all played well today.

But none of them are at Bennett’s level.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 1, 2022, 10:55pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But none of them are at Bennett’s level.

I agree. I was just responding to the claims that the form of the CB's had dropped due to Bennet being around.
Posted by: sam gy, October 2, 2022, 7:52pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from fishcake63

I really, really rate Smith and don’t want to diss him at all, but he struggled against Swindon - do you REALLY think Bennett would have?

He’s played most of his career at champ level and a fair bit in Prem. Anyone who doesn’t think he walks into our side is insane. It’s be unfair on our other CBs, sure, but still…
Posted by: ginnywings, October 2, 2022, 8:25pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from sam gy

I really, really rate Smith and don’t want to diss him at all, but he struggled against Swindon - do you REALLY think Bennett would have?

He’s played most of his career at champ level and a fair bit in Prem. Anyone who doesn’t think he walks into our side is insane. It’s be unfair on our other CBs, sure, but still…

Unfair?

The whole point of a football team is improvement, so that means players being replaced by better ones along the way.

Every player has a level they can reach, and Bennett's is beyond anyone we have currently, with the possible exception of Smith, who may or may not reach the heights of Bennett one day but isn't our player regardless.

Nothing unfair in progression.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 2, 2022, 8:35pm; Reply: 163
I’m not sure I’d be picking Bennett over Smith juse because Smith had one bad game, there’s nothing to say Bennett would’ve struggled against a well organised Swindon. To be fair, we’d be looking back on that game differently had we been able to finish and their keeper didn’t have a worldy.

If Bennett was available to sign, you undoubtedly sign him but we know Hurst well enough to know he wouldn’t just sling him in.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 2, 2022, 8:39pm; Reply: 164
I thought I read somewhere on this Forum a few days ago that PH had said that he was just training with us and there was nothing else in it?
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), October 2, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 165
Maybe Bennett is just letting off some steam.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 3, 2022, 6:30am; Reply: 166
Said on DN35 yesterday that Bennett due to sign later this week.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 3, 2022, 6:35am; Reply: 167
I hope he does sign he’s far better than this level and the only people he struggled with was the likes of aguero Suerez like most did
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, October 3, 2022, 8:12am; Reply: 168
Quoted from gtfc98
Said on DN35 yesterday that Bennett due to sign later this week.

Really? I'd be absolutely amazed if he signed for us  :D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 3, 2022, 8:47am; Reply: 169
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

Really? I'd be absolutely amazed if he signed for us  :D

Strongly rumoured that he'll be signing until the end of the season, one poster on here (who's generally bang on) and another ITK on twitter says the same..wait n see I suppose
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 3, 2022, 9:51am; Reply: 170
Quoted from 140381
Maybe Bennett is just letting off some steam.

Sublime reference to one of the finest cinematic moments of all time there. 👍
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 3, 2022, 9:59am; Reply: 171
There's a lot of news about Bennett this week that he's about to sign this week, although I always think any ITK stuff is likely to come from one person and just spread like wildfire.

If it happens, I can't imagine Hurst (or any other manager) at this level that won't shoehorn Bennett into the starting line-up at the first possible opportunity.

Our 4 current centre-backs are excellent for this level and I wouldn't want to change them for anyone else at this level.   But Bennett is streets above this level and has proven so in the last 14 years.  He's 32 so hardly over the hill either.  The question for me is who he replaces...
Posted by: fishcake63, October 3, 2022, 10:19am; Reply: 172
He will play right side of a 3 or right side of a 2 so take your pick
Posted by: Poojah, October 3, 2022, 10:22am; Reply: 173
There's a lot of news about Bennett this week that he's about to sign this week, although I always think any ITK stuff is likely to come from one person and just spread like wildfire.

If it happens, I can't imagine Hurst (or any other manager) at this level that won't shoehorn Bennett into the starting line-up at the first possible opportunity.

Our 4 current centre-backs are excellent for this level and I wouldn't want to change them for anyone else at this level.   But Bennett is streets above this level and has proven so in the last 14 years.  He's 32 so hardly over the hill either.  The question for me is who he replaces...

I suspect Hurst is playing this one quite cleverly. As much as I agree that if Bennett is head and shoulders above any of the defenders we have he should go into the team, it’s easy to forget the human element to this.

There is something to be said for the team dynamic. Hurst sides are generally characterised as being greater than the sum of their parts, and rarely reliant on marquee signings. Bringing in a multi-millionaire, freshly ex-Premier League player into the group does pose a risk when the majority of the squad will be on money not dissimilar to the average man on the street.

By bringing Bennett to train on the premise of him just looking to get fit, and having him train with the youths on occasion, enables him to get to know the players, demonstrate his quality and, crucially, that he’s no Billy big bóllocks before he becomes a ‘threat’ to their place in the team.

By the time he, hopefully, signs, he’s had chance to demonstrate what a no-brainer it is for the manager and that he’s alright as a bloke (he certainly comes across as being at the less flash end of the PL spectrum).

Could be an absolutely outstanding piece of business for us.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 3, 2022, 10:39am; Reply: 174
Quoted from Poojah

I suspect Hurst is playing this one quite cleverly. As much as I agree that if Bennett is head and shoulders above any of the defenders we have he should go into the team, it’s easy to forget the human element to this.

There is something to be said for the team dynamic. Hurst sides are generally characterised as being greater than the sum of their parts, and rarely reliant on marquee signings. Bringing in a multi-millionaire, freshly ex-Premier League player into the group does pose a risk when the majority of the squad will be on money not dissimilar to the average man on the street.

By bringing Bennett to train on the premise of him just looking to get fit, and having him train with the youths on occasion, enables him to get to know the players, demonstrate his quality and that he’s no Billy big bóllocks before he becomes a ‘threat’ to their place in the team.

By the time he, hopefully, signs, he’s had chance to demonstrate what a no-brainer it is for the manager and that he’s alright as a bloke (he certainly comes across as being at the less flash end of the PL spectrum).

Could be an absolutely outstanding piece of business for us.

Agreed.  On paper it's a no-brainer.  But Hurst knows the dressing room and the value of a good one.  To my mind he's got two blots on his copy book when it comes to bringing players into the dressing room as a Town player:

1) Richard Brodie - which was early on his Town career and the dressing room itself, by all accounts, sorted him out.  We also don't know who led for bringing Brodie into the squad, Hurst or Scott.  
2) Stefan Payne - He needed to gamble and it backfired.

Fast forward to 2022 and Hurst doesn't need to gamble, he's already got 4 good centre-backs.  He's also got the upper hand in that Bennett appears to want the move more than we do.  Amazing really that we're in such a position.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 3, 2022, 10:41am; Reply: 175
Quoted from fishcake63
He will play right side of a 3 or right side of a 2 so take your pick

That would suggest Smith.

I would disagree on that one to be honest.  

If I was a betting men I would say Maher is the one who's place is under threat.  

Smith's pace is a major asset for us, especially as we press higher and even more if we went with a back three.  Waterfall is his warrior and leader on the pitch, I don't see anyone budging him.  
Posted by: Poojah, October 3, 2022, 10:49am; Reply: 176

Agreed.  On paper it's a no-brainer.  But Hurst knows the dressing room and the value of a good one.  To my mind he's got two blots on his copy book when it comes to bringing players into the dressing room as a Town player:

1) Richard Brodie - which was early on his Town career and the dressing room itself, by all accounts, sorted him out.  We also don't know who led for bringing Brodie into the squad, Hurst or Scott.  
2) Stefan Payne - He needed to gamble and it backfired.

Fast forward to 2022 and Hurst doesn't need to gamble, he's already got 4 good centre-backs.  He's also got the upper hand in that Bennett appears to want the move more than we do.  Amazing really that we're in such a position.

From what I know of Bennett, I think he’s a very different character to Brodie and Payne. I think he’s led a pretty controversy-free career; some rumblings about him shagging Diogo Jota’s wife but they’re somewhat unsubstantiated rumours.

I think the only real danger is bringing in someone with a very different wealth profile to the rest of the squad, but that’s manageable. Leave the Lambo on the drive and invest in a 2012 Mondeo to get you to and from training. Easily solved.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 3, 2022, 10:53am; Reply: 177

That would suggest Smith.

I would disagree on that one to be honest.  

If I was a betting men I would say Maher is the one who's place is under threat.  

Smith's pace is a major asset for us, especially as we press higher and even more if we went with a back three.  Waterfall is his warrior and leader on the pitch, I don't see anyone budging him.  

I don't doubt what you say about Waterfall.. but as good as he's been playing, I'm getting the feeling that he's nearing the breaking point of his ceiling of ability, playing on full throttle, whereas Smith and Maher seem to have higher gears to step up to in the future if required..
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 3, 2022, 10:53am; Reply: 178
Paul Groves used to cycle to training...

I want to see Bennett turning up at Cheapside on a rusty-chained mountain bike that's 3 sizes too small, complete with bull bars and his trackies tucked into his socks.

Anything less and he's a big time Charlie.
Posted by: ska face, October 3, 2022, 10:57am; Reply: 179
I’d like to see Bennett-Waterfall-Smith as a 3 with Maher screening in front, but then are we sacrificing something in the middle to accommodate 4 centre backs?

It might give some scope for wingbacks to be a bit more attacking, as Maher could drop into the back line if one on either side of the 3 needs to push out to close an attacker down the wing, but does Maher have the engine to do that? I couldn’t say, not seen enough of him.

He’s good with the ball and it might save Hunt & co from having to sit so deep to receive it. Glad it’s Hurst’s problem and not mine.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 3, 2022, 11:04am; Reply: 180
Quoted from Bigdog

I don't doubt what you say about Waterfall.. but as good as he's been playing, I'm getting the feeling that he's nearing the breaking point of his ceiling of ability, playing on full throttle, whereas Smith and Maher seem to have higher gears to step up to in the future if required..

Yep, completely agree.  Waterfall will only ever be a lower league battler.  That's not a slight on him either.  But we also need that type of player whilst we're at this level.  A back 3 of Maher, Bennett and Smith would lack that ruggedness, to my eyes anyway.
Posted by: Poojah, October 3, 2022, 11:11am; Reply: 181
Quoted from ska face
I’d like to see Bennett-Waterfall-Smith as a 3 with Maher screening in front, but then are we sacrificing something in the middle to accommodate 4 centre backs?

It might give some scope for wingbacks to be a bit more attacking, as Maher could drop into the back line if one on either side of the 3 needs to push out to close an attacker down the wing, but does Maher have the engine to do that? I couldn’t say, not seen enough of him.

He’s good with the ball and it might save Hunt & co from having to sit so deep to receive it. Glad it’s Hurst’s problem and not mine.

It’s not the worst shout in the world by any means, but it would leave you having to pick just two from Clifton, Hunt, Holohan, Morris and Green (plus potentially even Khan) when all are fit.

It remains to be seen whether we stumbled on something on Saturday, but I liked the shape of us in a 3-5-2 and feel it might enable us to get on the front foot more at home, something we’ve struggled to do thus far.

Something like this could be quite tasty at home

Crocombe
Smith / Waterfall / Bennett
Efete / Hunt / Clifton / Glennon
Khan
Taylor / Richardson or Orsi

Some of those players would be interchangeable; plenty of arguments to include Maher, Morris, Green and Holohan in there for a start (and of course McAtee when fit), but that for me makes the most of our squad, which is characterised by great strength in depth in central defence and central midfield, and less so elsewhere.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 3, 2022, 11:21am; Reply: 182

Yep, completely agree.  Waterfall will only ever be a lower league battler.  That's not a slight on him either.  But we also need that type of player whilst we're at this level.  A back 3 of Maher, Bennett and Smith would lack that ruggedness, to my eyes anyway.

A back three of Maher, Smith and Bennett is one that every team at this level could only dream of. They're all rugged enough when required without outwardly looking as rugged as Waterfall if you know what I mean.. I think there wouldn't be any concerns about starting them a level up in League One either..

Anyway.. I'd sign Bennett in a heartbeat if there was a deal to be done, but more pressing is getting the right blend in central midfield and also the right attacking options on the pitch, my choice would be for more mobility up front. If PH can solve both, then the wide areas, to employ either attacking minded or defensively minded, will sort itself out over time or according to opposition..
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 3, 2022, 11:38am; Reply: 183
I think we all want to see Clifton make a stamp on a central midfield role, myself included.  But Saturday just highlighted even further that he's so bloody effective when out wide.  We've got a range of options centrally and the suggestion regards Maher (which I quite like) further adds to that.  Equally so we don't have anyone else who can play that wingback role down the right flank.

I think Clifton comes out the equation centrally.  A combination of needs must in wide areas and also references our range of options centrally.  

Hypothetically, Hurst is reading this forum and having signed Bennett decides that he wants to put him in a back 3, with Maher screening.  Clifton out wide leaves Hunt, Holohan, Green and Morris to occupy two of the other midfield slots, when everyone is fit anyway.  If you've got someone screening already you need players who are prepared to press and push.  So that's Morris ruled out and Holohan starting straight away.   Hunt and Green battling out the last starting role and I think this is where it's horses for courses.  Green is energetic as hell and I quite liked when he was given a bit of licence to roam forward and press teams high.  Hunt on the other hand is technically better, far better but does he naturally get drawn back into a deeper role where he wants to dictate play.  
Posted by: marinerjase, October 3, 2022, 11:47am; Reply: 184
Not sure Saturdays formation was in the plans tbh, and PH said in his post match interview that that system doesn’t suit us. But it’s surely worth considering in the future and use as and when.

If Bennett does sign then he has to play. Waterfall you play..he’s a leader, been outstanding. Smith also barring the odd error, though I’m not certain that system is the best for him. Maher not seen enough of yet (for us), but you’d assume he can do the job.

My thoughts on how we ‘progress/iron out home form’ is the role of Hunt, and the link and protection of back line, together with working out linking offensively. For me atm Hunt is trying too hard so to speak, he’s dropping more or less in to the back line to receive the ball, knows it’s his job to get the ball moving, the team going and create. And I think he’s caught somewhere between the middle in that respect..wants to move the ball quickly and guilty of giving it away at times. That’s not a dig or criticism..as said think he’s trying to hard at times, and utilising someone like Morris, who can sit and do the untidy stuff - may allow Hunt a little more help, in not having to drop as deep, and not cover as much ground, and help offensively in being closer to the options.  A similar problem that we have at top end of pitch until McAtees return. Taylor has a thankless task at times..we’ve got to work out how to get someone nearer, maybe utilise Orsi/Richardson as a forward next to him rather than behind. If Hunt can play ahead of Morris that should help in Richardson/whoever not dropping deeper.

Then there’s the quandary of how we play..use the width with Khan and Clifton who you know what you get, or create with JMD, but the 3-5-2 wouldn’t suit his play imho. Holohan could be used as someone to get between the lines, and the plus I guess for PH is that there are indeed numerous options to try during games. We’ve a decent squad, so if Bennett signs potentially a side like..

Crocombe
Bennett Waterfall Smith
Morris
Clifton Hunt Holohan Khan
Richardson Taylor
(3/5/2)

Again there’s the likes of Kiernan to consider bringing on later on.

Or a 4-4-2

Crocombe
Clifton Waterfall Smith Bennett
JMD Hunt Morris Khan
Taylor Richardson/Orsi

Or Efete when form returns, Clifton in midfield (still think his best position is the one he played Saturday, but he’s prob first name on team sheet in whatever position, that’s to his credit)

Of course there’s the problem of keeping those who aren’t getting games happy, and the impending return of McAtee, possible transfer activity in/out in January..

Not easy this management lark, but nice problems to have.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 3, 2022, 12:16pm; Reply: 185
For me, 3 at the back makes sense and if he does go with it then Bennett is a no brainer.

Our wingers are usually picked on their ability to defend first and foremost so I don’t really think we’re losing much going forward with wing backs instead. If we do then Clifton is perfect for that RWB role, it’s the role that most suits his skill set IMO.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 3, 2022, 12:31pm; Reply: 186
In my simple opinion, Smith is not our player, and if Hull don't want to sell him at the end of his loan spell, then he will be gone.  I believe that Bennet should be in the team in place of Smith, you just cannot leave Bennet out for a young loanee.  As good as he is, he is nowhere near the class or has the experience that Bennet has.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 3, 2022, 12:41pm; Reply: 187
Quoted from 123614
In my simple opinion, Smith is not our player, and if Hull don't want to sell him at the end of his loan spell, then he will be gone.  I believe that Bennet should be in the team in place of Smith, you just cannot leave Bennet out for a young loanee.  As good as he is, he is nowhere near the class or has the experience that Bennet has.

but then you dont bring in a loan player to not play him... you find a way to play your best players, smith is one of ours.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 3, 2022, 12:45pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from 123614

It's a good point, but.. Only Hurst will know the possibility of signing Smith in the future. We'll stand more chance in the player's eyes if he's playing. There is also the question of looking to where we want to go as a club as much as present day needs. If we're looking to build for the future.. ie League One, which we'll need to do to get to the level of a promoted team from League Two, then Smith must come into the equation as we'd be a nice permanent proposition for him at a level up from where we are now. That would leave us in the seemingly unlikely position from a short few month's ago where Waterfall could be fourth choice.. if Bennett did sign. Maybe not fourth choice right now, but at some point in the not too distant future, and that would be very strong position to be in defensively..
Posted by: GyMariner, October 3, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 189
Why are we talking about where Bennett will play? Have I missed something or have we not learnt from these rumours last time?
Posted by: MrThirsty, October 3, 2022, 12:53pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from 123614

McAtee isn’t our player either and will also be gone at the end of the season. Are you suggesting we shouldn’t play him either? I would imagine Hurst will play the strongest team he can.
Posted by: GyMariner, October 3, 2022, 12:57pm; Reply: 191
Where’s FFS when you need him
Posted by: MrThirsty, October 3, 2022, 1:47pm; Reply: 192
Quoted from pontoonlew

Interested to see who you think is better than McAtee

It may have been a clumsy comparison but I think Smith is the best central defender we currently can select (others may disagree of course) and is with us for the season. He had an off day against Swindon (as most of the team did that day) but that was a one off and against Salford he was back to his best. As such, if Bennett signs I would not drop Smith just because he is a loan player.

Posted by: diehardmariner, October 3, 2022, 2:17pm; Reply: 193
Really struggle with this idea that we shouldn't play a certain player because they're only on loan.

What's the difference between someone who's loan contract ends in June 2023 or someone with a permanent contract ending in June 2023?

As long as they're available for selection at this club, they should be judged only on ability and how they fit into the team for that day.
Posted by: mimma, October 3, 2022, 2:19pm; Reply: 194
Pick your strongest team, it's not rocket science
Posted by: DB, October 3, 2022, 4:34pm; Reply: 195

I want to see Bennett turning up at Cheapside on a rusty-chained mountain bike that's 3 sizes too small, complete with bull bars and his trackies tucked into his socks.

I heard a rumour, later confirmed, that he's renting in Waltham, while his house in Humberston is being built. So he might just jog down to Cheapside.

Posted by: marinerjase, October 3, 2022, 4:37pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from DB

I heard a rumour, later confirmed, that he's renting in Waltham, while his house in Humberston is being built. So he might just jog down to Cheapside.

His house is built, he’s been living in it for a while now.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 3, 2022, 4:46pm; Reply: 197
Saturday convinced me more than ever that Harry can be effective at right wing back and we have options for the left. Three at the back looks a great option if we can sign a player of proven Championship (minimum) level who played on the right of the three. It also makes both 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 viable options so you can play two up, three up or one dropping off a front two. Bennett is a definite yes for me.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 3, 2022, 6:49pm; Reply: 198
Quoted from MrThirsty

McAtee isn’t our player either and will also be gone at the end of the season. Are you suggesting we shouldn’t play him either? I would imagine Hurst will play the strongest team he can.

I agree, because if Bennet does sign, then Hurst would have to play him, as you say he would play the strongest team possible.

Posted by: toontown, October 3, 2022, 7:41pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from Poojah

It’s not the worst shout in the world by any means, but it would leave you having to pick just two from Clifton, Hunt, Holohan, Morris and Green (plus potentially even Khan) when all are fit.

It remains to be seen whether we stumbled on something on Saturday, but I liked the shape of us in a 3-5-2 and feel it might enable us to get on the front foot more at home, something we’ve struggled to do thus far.

Something like this could be quite tasty at home

Crocombe
Smith / Waterfall / Bennett
Efete / Hunt / Clifton / Glennon
Khan
Taylor / Richardson or Orsi

Some of those players would be interchangeable; plenty of arguments to include Maher, Morris, Green and Holohan in there for a start (and of course McAtee when fit), but that for me makes the most of our squad, which is characterised by great strength in depth in central defence and central midfield, and less so elsewhere.

Efete is in no way a wing back at this level. I don't think he's a full back for this level either personally but he definitely isn't a wing back!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 3, 2022, 8:46pm; Reply: 200
In the hypothetical scenario of Bennett signing (!):

1. Chances are the four CBs wouldn’t all be available at the same time, whether it be injuries or suspension.

2. Waterfall’s easily our best CB in current form. Monster performance from him again vs Salford.

3. If you’re playing 3 at the back, Maher would be the natural fit at LCB because he’s left footed and has played LB before so is more natural out wide, covering behind the LWB.

4. If Bennett is anywhere near fit he’d be first choice

5. Smith has a mistake in him. When he’s not even our player you couldn’t play a ‘prospect’ over the other three, however talented he may be. The only reason you would is if there was a genuine chance of signing Smith permanently.

Everyone is quick to have a go at Efete, but Smith has made more defensive errors in the past 4 months than Efete.

I’m not sure Smith looked that comfortable at RCB on Saturday. It brought back memories of his adventures at RB last season. His distribution in the second half wasn’t great and Doig again gave him a rocket for getting caught ball watching and not tracking the flight of the ball.  

Smith is young and mistakes are part of the learning experience. However, as a manager, when you’re only a handful of matches from the sack, it’s often safer to go with the safe, experienced option, which is understandable.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 3, 2022, 9:25pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from ska face

four centre backs Jeremy, FOUR? That's insane
Posted by: GyMariner, October 3, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 202
Quoted from gtfc98

four centre backs Jeremy, FOUR? That's insane

I remember when people used to call PH too defensive!! Listen to you all now 😂
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), October 3, 2022, 9:59pm; Reply: 203
What the Bear said.
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, October 3, 2022, 10:03pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from 123614

I see where you're coming from, but you don't sign a loan player to sit him on the bench.  If you're not going to play him, may as well send him back - that's not going to happen, so he plays when fit.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 4, 2022, 9:13am; Reply: 205
Just to add something else to the mix...

Bennett should (and I hope he would) stand out at this level.  I mean really stand out.   We're already fairly solid defensively, up there as one of the best in the division.  

Would the addition of Bennett afford us a little more freedom further up the pitch?

Thinking about it more, I've previously said that Waterfall doesn't budge.  But presented with the chance of a player of Bennett's pedigree, wouldn't Hurst be tempted to put him at the heart of the defence and using his knowledge, skill and experience to control the play more?

Buggered if I know, I'm still trying to fit Shaun Pearson into my starting XI!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 4, 2022, 9:49am; Reply: 206
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

I see where you're coming from, but you don't sign a loan player to sit him on the bench.  If you're not going to play him, may as well send him back - that's not going to happen, so he plays when fit.

In the same vein, if Bennet signs for us, you cannot leave him on the bench either, so who gets left out?

Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 4, 2022, 10:04am; Reply: 207
In the hypothetical scenario of Bennett signing (!):

1. Chances are the four CBs wouldn’t all be available at the same time, whether it be injuries or suspension.

2. Waterfall’s easily our best CB in current form. Monster performance from him again vs Salford.

3. If you’re playing 3 at the back, Maher would be the natural fit at LCB because he’s left footed and has played LB before so is more natural out wide, covering behind the LWB.

4. If Bennett is anywhere near fit he’d be first choice

5. Smith has a mistake in him. When he’s not even our player you couldn’t play a ‘prospect’ over the other three, however talented he may be. The only reason you would is if there was a genuine chance of signing Smith permanently.

Everyone is quick to have a go at Efete, but Smith has made more defensive errors in the past 4 months than Efete.

I’m not sure Smith looked that comfortable at RCB on Saturday. It brought back memories of his adventures at RB last season. His distribution in the second half wasn’t great and Doig again gave him a rocket for getting caught ball watching and not tracking the flight of the ball.  

Smith is young and mistakes are part of the learning experience. However, as a manager, when you’re only a handful of matches from the sack, it’s often safer to go with the safe, experienced option, which is understandable.

I remember back in the day us having Handyside, Lever, Rodger and Richard Smith as centre-backs for a couple of seasons. And having Paul Groves, Wayne Burnett, Stacy Coldicott & Tommy Widdrington as central midfielders in 1998/99.

You can have 4 good quality centre-backs and central midfielders and play a 4-4-2 based formation.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 4, 2022, 10:48am; Reply: 208
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I remember back in the day us having Handyside, Lever, Rodger and Richard Smith as centre-backs for a couple of seasons. And having Paul Groves, Wayne Burnett, Stacy Coldicott & Tommy Widdrington as central midfielders in 1998/99.

You can have 4 good quality centre-backs and central midfielders and play a 4-4-2 based formation.

I think we'd all have been happy with a whole team of Paul Futchers wouldn't we...

Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, October 4, 2022, 10:52am; Reply: 209
Quoted from 123614

In the same vein, if Bennet signs for us, you cannot leave him on the bench either, so who gets left out?

*if* he signs, I'd imagine he'd be on a decent whack, so yes he plays.  As for who gets left out, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.  

I still think it's unlikely he will though, so it's moot really.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2022, 10:55am; Reply: 210
Quoted from GollyGTFC

H

You could argue that you need 5 centre backs if you’re playing 3 to cover for injury and suspension.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 4, 2022, 12:10pm; Reply: 211
Quoted from 123614

You can't drop Waterfall in my opinion. He's captain and I'm a firm believer that the captain should be good enough to be playing virtually every game. He also weighs in with a decent number of goals/assists from set pieces.

Andy Smith, as promising as he is, isn't our asset.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 4, 2022, 12:19pm; Reply: 212
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You can't drop Waterfall in my opinion. He's captain and I'm a firm believer that the captain should be good enough to be playing virtually every game. He also weighs in with a decent number of goals/assists from set pieces.

Andy Smith, as promising as he is, isn't our asset.

Not yet can’t see dull city using him their chairman will buy another overpriced Turk for their manager to try and get the best out. Andy clearly is enjoying his time with the town playing in most matches so I can see him signing permanently sometime in the future
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 5, 2022, 5:23am; Reply: 213

I hope he has those oversized wheel nuts with a yt standing on them and Pagging a yt on the handle bars.

Would have to be a yt as an older pro player is a daft idea
Posted by: Poojah, October 5, 2022, 6:53pm; Reply: 214
The club posted some photos of training on Twitter, one of which focused in on Bennett. Bit odd to do that for a player just using the club to get fit, no?

I’m not remotely in the know on this, but I have a sneaking feeling we’ll announce his signing before the weekend and that he will play some part on Saturday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1577639627942502400
Posted by: aldi_01, October 5, 2022, 7:01pm; Reply: 215
I did think making him a focal point of a social media post a bit odd. I know the culture at the club is much different now and shows an openness etc but still find it odd…
Posted by: jaygy, October 5, 2022, 7:20pm; Reply: 216
Bennett is a signing that would add another thousand fans to attendances....where are we going to put another thousand fans!?
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 5, 2022, 7:24pm; Reply: 217
Reminiscent of when Sir Matt returned in 1970.

If it happens
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 5, 2022, 9:05pm; Reply: 218
Quoted from aldi_01
I did think making him a focal point of a social media post a bit odd. I know the culture at the club is much different now and shows an openness etc but still find it odd…

It might be just because it’s a decent photo though.
Posted by: Wiley2405, October 5, 2022, 9:27pm; Reply: 219
Quoted from aldi_01

Why odd? It’s a photo we’ve all been waiting for. A photo of a player who seems to be inevitability signing and a photo of a player with history with the club who has gone onto have a cracking career and with be a massive coup for the club.

If it’s a photo to get us all warmed up for the announcement then bloody bring it on.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 5, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 220
Reminiscent of when Sir Matt returned in 1970.

If it happens

I was at that game when Tees returned v Cambridge.  I think he doubled the gate to about 7000 if I remember correctly. He scored, naturally.

Tees was a returning hero; a player reverrred for his previous goalscoring feats with his sidekick Rod Green. He went on to have a second fantastic career with the Mariners under Lawrie Mac.

Bennett returning would be good for the club and has had a great career and would probably raise a few eyebrows in league 2.

Posted by: forza ivano, October 5, 2022, 11:05pm; Reply: 221
If ticket sales are slow for Crawley, then it's a perfect time for such a signing
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), October 6, 2022, 7:58am; Reply: 222
Are people who are 'just training with us' normally given a full Grimsby Town training kit?  Just asking..........;
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 6, 2022, 8:19am; Reply: 223
Quoted from 123614
Are people who are 'just training with us' normally given a full Grimsby Town training kit?  Just asking..........;

Yeah I think they would, it is odd though that he's been in the photo's but maybe that's just the media team getting over excited in a week with no mid week game.

The word is he's now based in Humberstone, he's I assume pretty wealthy, at this stage of his career would he want to be travelling to say Lincoln, Bradford, Derby etc.. to train and play? Maybe not. Does he know GTFC and understand it? Yes. Will he also understand the club has moved on significantly since he left and the current squad are all on the same page and well led, of course he will.

Posted by: diehardmariner, October 6, 2022, 10:11am; Reply: 224
He is living here.  He's fully moved back and settled with his family.  

Absolute member-tease of a tweet from the club, they know full well what they're doing and I absolutely love it!

I'm at the point now where I think it's a case of when not if Bennett signs and/or feel we're not competing with anyone for his signature as such.

Bennett had his contract ripped up with Swansea on deadline day, 1st September.  We're now a full 5 weeks since that.  You've got to think if anyone else was going to sign him, it would have happened already.  

My only ever so slight concern was if Hull's owners did a bit of a u-turn and decided to go for a tried and trusted approach with their new manager, which might see them bring in reliable players to stop them leaking like a sieve.   I'm not sure the appointment of Pedro Martins will see him make a move for Bennett.
Posted by: Poojah, October 6, 2022, 10:19am; Reply: 225
He is living here.  He's fully moved back and settled with his family.  

Absolute member-tease of a tweet from the club, they know full well what they're doing and I absolutely love it!

I'm at the point now where I think it's a case of when not if Bennett signs and/or feel we're not competing with anyone for his signature as such.

Bennett had his contract ripped up with Swansea on deadline day, 1st September.  We're now a full 5 weeks since that.  You've got to think if anyone else was going to sign him, it would have happened already.  

My only ever so slight concern was if Hull's owners did a bit of a u-turn and decided to go for a tried and trusted approach with their new manager, which might see them bring in reliable players to stop them leaking like a sieve.   I'm not sure the appointment of Pedro Martins will see him make a move for Bennett.

Unless Bennett is prepared to change his name to Reyhan Bençet by deed pole, I don’t see Hull looking at him any time soon.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), October 6, 2022, 10:27am; Reply: 226
lol @ member tease
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 6, 2022, 10:40am; Reply: 227
Quoted from Poojah

Unless Bennett is prepared to change his name to Reyhan Bençet by deed pole, I don’t see Hull looking at him any time soon.

Not now.

Was just that nagging thought that the Turkish owner gets a bit of local guidance, recognises that they're lacking steel and goes for an Allardyce/Pulis type appointment...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 6, 2022, 11:16am; Reply: 228
Quoted from Poojah

LMAO!!!
Posted by: Corkyefes, October 6, 2022, 1:49pm; Reply: 229
Personally I don't see Ryan signing, or not at least long term.

Wages probably a stumbling block and I can just see him training here until say January and maybe moving on.

I could be completely wrong, but I would of expected to him to of signed by now, even if just a short team deal.
Posted by: cannylad65, October 6, 2022, 2:07pm; Reply: 230
John Stone trained with us, whilst playing for Darlington, and against us.
Posted by: Zmariner, October 6, 2022, 2:12pm; Reply: 231
I am completely indifferent about Bennett signing. The defence is good is the other end where we have the challenge and I would prefer any cash spent on that end of the pitch, utm
Posted by: petethemariner, October 6, 2022, 2:42pm; Reply: 232
Unless Hull want to recall Smith to have a look at him (dont know the terms of the loan agreement) i honestly feel we are more than covered in CB position, so i dont think Ryan signing is a neccessity, i wonder however if  at some time in the future would he be a managerial/coaching option? (if he has taken his coaching badges that is) for when PH/CD move on.
Even though i believe he married a local girl, its just  seems a bit strange that he moved back here when he must still have a few years left in him as a player and i expect, a bit of interest from other clubs.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 6, 2022, 3:39pm; Reply: 233
He's spent the vast majority of his career literally moving across the country, no doubt dragging his family with him in the process.

He'll have made a tidy enough sum to not have to worry about wages too much and, to me anyway, looks to be returning the favour to his wife by moving back to her home (also somewhere he spent a fair few years himself).  

His career arguably peaked a few years back when he got his Leicester move and was part of a side that just missed out on Champs League qualification.  He's now, at best, a Championship squad player really.  Highly likely that he doesn't want that, he'll naturally want to play as much football as he can.  

If I had played at the levels he had, I'm not sure I'd be massively bothered between playing at League One or League Two, especially if the other factors were regular first team football and not wanting to travel/stay close to my family.  Playing for Lincoln with a 2 hour commute every day or playing for Town with a 15 minute all in commute every day....I know where I'd be heading.  

I think it's that simple.  It's not a case that we're eyeing him up to be the next manager/coach or anything like that.  It's just a rare case where our location has gone for us rather than against us.  
Posted by: denni266, October 6, 2022, 3:42pm; Reply: 234
Its a bit of a strange one is this.. Where has this, he will / may sign for us come from  ? .. The club is very quiate on this one apart from Hurst saying that he is basicaly only training  with us to keep fit so to say  ,And for now that is what we should go by
Posted by: ska face, October 6, 2022, 3:45pm; Reply: 235
I reckon something must be happening today. There’s usually a teaser or pre-match interview up by now from either Humberside or the Telegraph, so not sure if they’re holding off until after something’s been announced. What’s more likely, I’d imagine, is that I’m completely overthinking the situation out of boredom.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 6, 2022, 3:45pm; Reply: 236
Quoted from denni266
Its a bit of a strange one is this.. Where has this, he will / may sign for us come from  ? .. The club is very quiate on this one apart from Hurst saying that he is basicaly only training  with us to keep fit so to say  ,And for now that is what we should go by

Put it this way.

He's training to keep fit with a purpose of impressing someone enough to get a contract.

No-one else has signed him yet.

Someone is getting to see him every day to be impressed.
Posted by: Poojah, October 6, 2022, 3:45pm; Reply: 237
He's spent the vast majority of his career literally moving across the country, no doubt dragging his family with him in the process.

He'll have made a tidy enough sum to not have to worry about wages too much and, to me anyway, looks to be returning the favour to his wife by moving back to her home (also somewhere he spent a fair few years himself).  

His career arguably peaked a few years back when he got his Leicester move and was part of a side that just missed out on Champs League qualification.  He's now, at best, a Championship squad player really.  Highly likely that he doesn't want that, he'll naturally want to play as much football as he can.  

If I had played at the levels he had, I'm not sure I'd be massively bothered between playing at League One or League Two, especially if the other factors were regular first team football and not wanting to travel/stay close to my family.  Playing for Lincoln with a 2 hour commute every day or playing for Town with a 15 minute all in commute every day....I know where I'd be heading.  

I think it's that simple.  It's not a case that we're eyeing him up to be the next manager/coach or anything like that.  It's just a rare case where our location has gone for us rather than against us.  

This. This will be a bigger ‘shock’ when it happens but in a similar vein, Ben Davies would have been out of our reach when we signed him had it not been for geography doing us a rare favour.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 6, 2022, 3:51pm; Reply: 238
Quoted from Poojah

This. This will be a bigger ‘shock’ when it happens but in a similar vein, Ben Davies would have been out of our reach when we signed him had it not been for geography doing us a rare favour.

Absolutely. He’s made a decent living, played in the top division for two clubs and has decided to relocate back to the area. I really don’t think the money is important and his experience could be highly significant, both now and in the future.
Posted by: Poojah, October 6, 2022, 3:53pm; Reply: 239
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely. He’s made a decent living, played in the top division for two clubs and has decided to relocate back to the area. I really don’t think the money is important and his experience could be highly significant, both now and in the future.

It’s three clubs. Norwich, Wolves and Leicester. He ain’t no mug.

Edit: just had a quick look, he’s played 107 times in the Premier League and 3 times in the Europa League. That’s some going really.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 6, 2022, 3:56pm; Reply: 240
Quoted from Poojah

It’s three clubs. Norwich, Wolves and Leicester. He ain’t no mug.

I stand corrected, however, I think he only made 1 start and 4 sub appearances for Leicester!
Posted by: Abdul19, October 6, 2022, 4:28pm; Reply: 241
3 starts and 2 subs in July 2020 (W2 D1 L2).
Posted by: fishcake63, October 6, 2022, 6:40pm; Reply: 242
Not sure he would be still training with us if he wasn't going to sign i expect announcement after weekend
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 6, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 243
Quoted from petethemariner
Unless Hull want to recall Smith to have a look at him (dont know the terms of the loan agreement) i honestly feel we are more than covered in CB position, so i dont think Ryan signing is a neccessity, i wonder however if  at some time in the future would he be a managerial/coaching option? (if he has taken his coaching badges that is) for when PH/CD move on.
Even though i believe he married a local girl, its just  seems a bit strange that he moved back here when he must still have a few years left in him as a player and i expect, a bit of interest from other clubs.

He automatically becomes the best defender in the league if he signs for us, I’m not sure why we’d turn that down if we can make the finances work.
Posted by: Poojah, October 6, 2022, 10:00pm; Reply: 244
Quoted from pontoonlew

He automatically becomes the best defender in the league if he signs for us, I’m not sure why we’d turn that down if we can make the finances work.

And probably top 5, minimum, in the division above. It’s a no brainer if he’s game.

I very much doubt it would come down to finances, anyway. The guy’s a multi-millionaire, he’ll know we’re not going to be paying him any more than a fraction of his previous salary (believed to have been around £25k per week) so if there’s a conversation to be had he’s not going to be arguing the toss over a couple of hundred quid a week.

If it doesn’t happen for any reason, it won’t be because we couldn’t quite reach financial terms.
Posted by: LH, October 6, 2022, 10:30pm; Reply: 245
“Erling Haaland asks for significant pay cut and new challenge in League Two at Grimsby Town after Premier League proves to be too soft for him”

The Fishy: You’ve got to worry about the finances
Posted by: toontown, October 6, 2022, 11:03pm; Reply: 246
Quoted from LH
“Erling Haaland asks for significant pay cut and new challenge in League Two at Grimsby Town after Premier League proves to be too soft for him”

The Fishy: You’ve got to worry about the finances

We've already got mcatee coming back, do we really want to be spending wages on Haaland? Right back is more of a pressing issue for me...
Posted by: HarrogateMariner, October 6, 2022, 11:33pm; Reply: 247
A Swansea supporter at my work believes Bennett is still contracted to Swansea until end of the season as he refused to come to a settlement regarding early termination. Apparently he is their highest paid player as he signed when they were receiving parachute payments. Their supporters seem to think he will go out on loan in January. He has no future at the club, but if he is refusing to have his Swansea deal paid up, I can't see him cancelling it now and signing for us for a much smaller amount.

Not that I don't want him to sign, would like it to happen, but may explain why nothing has happened so far.
Posted by: Poojah, October 6, 2022, 11:36pm; Reply: 248
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
A Swansea supporter at my work believes Bennett is still contracted to Swansea until end of the season as he refused to come to a settlement regarding early termination. Apparently he is their highest paid player as he signed when they were receiving parachute payments. Their supporters seem to think he will go out on loan in January. He has no future at the club, but if he is refusing to have his Swansea deal paid up, I can't see him cancelling it now and signing for us for a much smaller amount.

Not that I don't want him to sign, would like it to happen, but may explain why nothing has happened so far.

Tell your workmate he’s full of shìt…

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/ryan-bennett-leaves-swansea-city
Posted by: cannylad65, October 7, 2022, 7:46am; Reply: 249
Would the 2 red crossers please explain why my information regarding John Stone is incorrect.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 7, 2022, 8:11am; Reply: 250

I’d say your workmate isn’t much of a Swansea fan…
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 7, 2022, 8:28am; Reply: 251
Quoted from Poojah

And probably top 5, minimum, in the division above. It’s a no brainer if he’s game.

I very much doubt it would come down to finances, anyway. The guy’s a multi-millionaire, he’ll know we’re not going to be paying him any more than a fraction of his previous salary (believed to have been around £25k per week) so if there’s a conversation to be had he’s not going to be arguing the toss over a couple of hundred quid a week.

If it doesn’t happen for any reason, it won’t be because we couldn’t quite reach financial terms.

This all depends on him as a person.

Ok, this story is on a smaller scale as such.

But i work for a transport company, and we have a driver who's working for 50p above minimum wage at 64 years old.
He owns 4 houses locally that he rents out, has a motorhome thats worth more than my house, and holidays 3-5 times a year, and luxury holidays at that!! (had a very, very good job for 20+ years previously)

He doesn't need money, he just wants to keep busy.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 7, 2022, 9:01am; Reply: 252

It's been well publicised that Swansea released him on deadline day but supposing it was true and Swansea released him today, he couldn't sign for us until 1st January. As he was released during the transfer window, he can sign for anyone, whenever he wants.

Also, if he was still under contract at Swansea, they would be obligated to put on training sessions of some description for him and Ryan would be obligated to turn up to them. Clubs regularly make it difficult for a player to grind them down by insisting they train with the youth team or turn up alone for a session with the fitness coach after everyone has gone home but failure to provide training sessions is a breach of contract and so is failing to turn up.
Posted by: toontown, October 7, 2022, 9:44am; Reply: 253
Assuming all this speculation is true - what time would he gave to sign in order to be eligible to play on Saturday? Is it by a particular time on Friday or can he sign on the day and play?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 7, 2022, 9:56am; Reply: 254
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's been well publicised that Swansea released him on deadline day but supposing it was true and Swansea released him today, he couldn't sign for us until 1st January. As he was released during the transfer window, he can sign for anyone, whenever he wants.

Also, if he was still under contract at Swansea, they would be obligated to put on training sessions of some description for him and Ryan would be obligated to turn up to them. Clubs regularly make it difficult for a player to grind them down by insisting they train with the youth team or turn up alone for a session with the fitness coach after everyone has gone home but failure to provide training sessions is a breach of contract and so is failing to turn up.

Maybe we have an agreement with Swansea to allow Ryan Bennet to train with us rather than disrupting (he's not that type BTW) their current squad by training without the hope of playing. That means they'll provide him with the opportunity to train and he can turn up without staying in the Valley's.

Like I've said all along in reality I'm not sure we need him but if he signed I'd be pleased. Though he's tied into a season long loan you never know if the new coach at Hull City may want to negotiate an early return for Andy Smith so brining in Bennet would make sense.
Posted by: Maringer, October 7, 2022, 10:15am; Reply: 255
Somebody has missed the link Poojah posted on the previous page:

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/ryan-bennett-leaves-swansea-city

;)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 7, 2022, 11:01am; Reply: 256
Quoted from Poojah
The club posted some photos of training on Twitter, one of which focused in on Bennett. Bit odd to do that for a player just using the club to get fit, no?

I’m not remotely in the know on this, but I have a sneaking feeling we’ll announce his signing before the weekend and that he will play some part on Saturday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1577639627942502400

It’s hard to tell but he doesn’t appear to be wearing a GPS vest/sports bra. If he has/is signing you’d expect the club would be collecting the data already.
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, October 7, 2022, 11:41am; Reply: 257
Quoted from toontown
Assuming all this speculation is true - what time would he gave to sign in order to be eligible to play on Saturday? Is it by a particular time on Friday or can he sign on the day and play?

I want to say 5pm Friday, but I could be completely making that up ;D
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 7, 2022, 11:59am; Reply: 258
Hurst's said in his interview today that they've not even discussed a deal yet, so it doesn't look like he'll be signing before tomorrow's match.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 7, 2022, 12:43pm; Reply: 259
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hurst's said in his interview today that they've not even discussed a deal yet, so it doesn't look like he'll be signing before tomorrow's match.

Translated into Hurst-speak; "Deal done and dusted.  Contract signed.  Just waiting for the right moment to announce the signing".
Posted by: Poojah, October 7, 2022, 12:46pm; Reply: 260
Quoted from Chrisblor

Any idea where I can find the interview? Nothing on Mariners TV yet as far as I can tell.
Posted by: Corkyefes, October 7, 2022, 12:57pm; Reply: 261
IMO, Hurst's tone towards signing Bennett has confirmed its unlikely to happen.

If I was Ryan, I would take a minimal wage for a couple of months, giving myself 14 games before January, enabling me to get myself in the 'shop window'.

Obviously his agent could be completing advising the opposite.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 7, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 262
Quoted from Corkyefes

If I was Ryan, I would take a minimal wage for a couple of months, giving myself 14 games before January, enabling me to get myself in the 'shop window'.

Or, he could be advising him to sit tight for now as the manager merry go round has started as Rotherham have a new manager and Hull City are managerless; both about an hour away and both two levels higher.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, October 7, 2022, 1:10pm; Reply: 263
Quoted from Poojah

Any idea where I can find the interview? Nothing on Mariners TV yet as far as I can tell.

Full interview --> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d5blhn

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1578330185052852225
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 7, 2022, 1:14pm; Reply: 264
Quoted from Corkyefes

That interview confirmed that Hurst does want him and that’s a big step.

From the little I know (and I mean little), Bennett is pretty keen and people inside the club are confident it’ll happen at some point.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 7, 2022, 3:58pm; Reply: 265
From his full interview I thought he finished the interview by saying there was an incoming but he was waiting for the club to announce it, or did I mishear what he said?
Posted by: ska face, October 7, 2022, 4:13pm; Reply: 266
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
From his full interview I thought he finished the interview by saying there was an incoming but he was waiting for the club to announce it, or did I mishear what he said?

Outgoing, and that will have been Bramwell who has joined Whitby on loan.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 7, 2022, 4:52pm; Reply: 267
Quoted from ska face

Outgoing, and that will have been Bramwell who has joined Whitby on loan.

The last Bram that went to Whitby did well.

Hope the lad’s taken his garlic and crucifix.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 7, 2022, 7:00pm; Reply: 268

The last Bram that went to Whitby did well.

Hope the lad’s taken his garlic and crucifix.

It was either there or stoke(r)
Posted by: HarrogateMariner, October 7, 2022, 11:21pm; Reply: 269
Quoted from Poojah

Well....that's the last time I post something I hear before actually checking it!! To be fair I did think I had read something confirming Bennett's release but he always seems well up to date and knowledgeable regarding Swansea so assumed it would be at least partially correct!!
Posted by: chaos33, October 8, 2022, 5:00am; Reply: 270
Quoted from pontoonlew

That interview confirmed that Hurst does want him and that’s a big step.

From the little I know (and I mean little), Bennett is pretty keen and people inside the club are confident it’ll happen at some point.

I don’t think you know anything. How does the interview confirm Hurst wants him or that Bennet is pretty keen? I suspect you’re just speculating. Hurst seems pretty non commital/philosophical to me. Says he’ll talk about a deal if Bennet wants to but not chasing that and Bennet hasn’t asked to talk about a deal. It’s all a bit of a non story to me. Not sure why Dean keeps asking about it. We’ve got actual, contracted players to focus on
Posted by: aldi_01, October 8, 2022, 7:24am; Reply: 271
If you take away all the speculation and the will he won’t he sign stuff and look at the other benefits to having him here at present, it’s still a no brainer for everyone.

No doubt, having played at a higher level and having the likes of Aguero tearing you a new one, you learn stuff, as a defensive unit they’ll be learning from him in training. Bennett was young when he started his climb to the top, young when he played for a dreadful town side, again, he will have learned a lot, valuable stuff to pass on to the likes of Smith, Glennon, Amos et al. Bennett isn’t a show pony or flash illegitimate by all accounts, again, this sort of behaviour is great to have around and model for other players.

The benefits of him being in and around the club work for all parties. If he doesn’t sign then we haven’t lost anything financially, if he does, I’d argue we’ve signed one of, if not the best centre half in the league.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 8, 2022, 7:59am; Reply: 272
Quoted from chaos33

I don’t think you know anything. How does the interview confirm Hurst wants him or that Bennet is pretty keen? I suspect you’re just speculating. Hurst seems pretty non commital/philosophical to me. Says he’ll talk about a deal if Bennet wants to but not chasing that and Bennet hasn’t asked to talk about a deal. It’s all a bit of a non story to me. Not sure why Dean keeps asking about it. We’ve got actual, contracted players to focus on

You don’t come 2nd in Ska Faces famous ITK League purely by luck Chaos
Posted by: ska face, October 8, 2022, 8:20am; Reply: 273
The table doesn’t lie, I’m afraid.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 8, 2022, 9:31am; Reply: 274
I think that if there was no chance of a deal, then PH would say that there is no chance of a deal, but he hasn't categorically ruled it out as yet, so you never know.

Bennett could probably have his pick of most teams from mid Championship down, so the fact he hasn't signed for a club yet shows he's not really in any hurry to commit to anyone.

I think there is a fair chance he could be a GTFC player in the coming weeks.
Posted by: Mariner93er, October 8, 2022, 9:54am; Reply: 275
I know we're convenient for training, but there are plenty of clubs higher up the pyramid within a reasonable drive he could train with if he was putting himself in the window. Wouldn't be surprised if he joined us with a view to potentially getting involved with the coaching side of things too, for example with the youth teams.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 8, 2022, 10:00am; Reply: 276
I don't think I have heard before of a top pro, at a good age who effectively has a gap year without being injured or unwanted.

All players want to play, even those with limited ability so why is he just training with none of the excitement of match day to foĺlow a weeks work?

If he is financially secure does he still have the drive and motivation to play at a lower level?

If he signs then great, but I wish he would hurry as I don't see much benefit in him training and not being in the match day squad.
Posted by: Rick12, October 8, 2022, 10:24am; Reply: 277
Quoted from thefish

I agree, we don’t ‘need’ him.

However, if he ends up being an improvement on Waterfall, he would be worth it.
Waterfalls character is something I've always admired eg like the way he plays with effort.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 8, 2022, 10:31am; Reply: 278
Bennett has played four times this year, none since March and only one of those he came close to completing 90 minutes.

There's ring rust there.  He was never going to be ready as soon as he walked in the door, he might be naturally fit but he's not going to be first team fit (yet, anyway).

Hurst will quite rightly be doing due-diligence on him and I'll be amazed if there hasn't been at least one behind closed door friendly that's taken place.  This isn't ITK but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a gentleman's agreement in place along the lines of 'reach a certain standard of fitness' and we'll sign you.

Bennett doesn't need our money.  Whatever we can pay him is likely to be a relative drop in the ocean of his wealth.  If he wants to play here then wages aren't going to be a breaking point, if they are then the deal was never realistically going to happen.  He won't split hairs over waiting a few weeks to get a contract signed or not.  

Equally so.  If Bennett put pen to paper yesterday and wasn't fit to play for three weeks, I can imagine how drunk off Hurst would get fielding the questions every five minutes of when he is going to play.  Wouldn't surprise me if Bennett's already signed but Hurst reckons batting the odd 'has he signed yet' question is easier than 'is he in the team' type.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, October 8, 2022, 11:07am; Reply: 279
Obviously it's good to have a player of his experience training with the squad, but it would be a bit of a sickener if we spent a few weeks getting him fit for him to then sign for Lincoln or Hull. I hope we get a little more out of it than that.
Posted by: LH, October 8, 2022, 11:54am; Reply: 280
It means absolutely nothing but I’ve just seen him in Waltham heading for Cheapside. #spotted
Posted by: chaos33, October 8, 2022, 12:37pm; Reply: 281
Quoted from pontoonlew

You don’t come 2nd in Ska Faces famous ITK League purely by luck Chaos

😂👍
Posted by: gtfc98, November 1, 2022, 12:50am; Reply: 282
Is he still training with us? Been a couple of months if so at this point.
Posted by: coddy60, November 1, 2022, 12:53pm; Reply: 283
Quoted from gtfc98
Is he still training with us? Been a couple of months if so at this point.

Training, while receiving offers from Championship clubs.
He won't be signing for us, or the clubs he currently has offers from, due to distance from here.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), November 1, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 284
Quoted from coddy60

He won't be signing for us, or the clubs he currently has offers from, due to distance from here.

So which clubs are they?

Posted by: Poojah, November 1, 2022, 1:05pm; Reply: 285
Quoted from coddy60

There’s no place closer to here than here.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 1, 2022, 2:29pm; Reply: 286
In all honesty I expected this to be sorted by now.  

From our point of view, there comes a point where having a player training with the squad but not signing becomes a bit like a bad smell.  I'm in no way questioning Bennett's attitude or what Hurst has said about him being a good learning point and example for others.  But if he's ticking over here, his focus is different from that of the rest of the set-up.

Equally so for Bennett, the longer he's out of action the less his chances are of getting a club snapping him up.  When was the last time a club signed a player after so long without a club?  I mean, not taking into account January 2021 when our enforced transfer policy was 'Has played before, will play for cheap'.  

If Bennett wants to stay local and play still, his options are incredibly limited to say the least.   Within a 90 minute commute from the area (and I'm being generous that he'll want to do that much travelling) he's got Hull, Lincoln, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield clubs and Barnsley.  Maybe at an absolute push Mansfield.  There's some on there that are debatable if you could do it in that time-frame whilst travelling at rush hour.

Sheff Utd aren't going to be interested.  I think it's debatable that Barnsley and Sheffield Weds would be interested either.  League One clubs with aspirations to get into the Championship and establish themselves there.  Hull is a maybe, all depends on who gets the job there.  Liam Rosenior would probably be more favourable to an experienced English defender than someone who's managed in the Turkish SuperLiga, but it depends on what mandate he's got.  From the outside looking in, I think their owner wants to flood the team with foreign superstars and not sure Bennett is the type of signing he wants to make.

Donny, maybe?  Mansfield?  Nah.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 1, 2022, 3:16pm; Reply: 287
In all honesty I expected this to be sorted by now.  

From our point of view, there comes a point where having a player training with the squad but not signing becomes a bit like a bad smell.  I'm in no way questioning Bennett's attitude or what Hurst has said about him being a good learning point and example for others.  But if he's ticking over here, his focus is different from that of the rest of the set-up.

Equally so for Bennett, the longer he's out of action the less his chances are of getting a club snapping him up.  When was the last time a club signed a player after so long without a club?  I mean, not taking into account January 2021 when our enforced transfer policy was 'Has played before, will play for cheap'.  

If Bennett wants to stay local and play still, his options are incredibly limited to say the least.   Within a 90 minute commute from the area (and I'm being generous that he'll want to do that much travelling) he's got Hull, Lincoln, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield clubs and Barnsley.  Maybe at an absolute push Mansfield.  There's some on there that are debatable if you could do it in that time-frame whilst travelling at rush hour.

Sheff Utd aren't going to be interested.  I think it's debatable that Barnsley and Sheffield Weds would be interested either.  League One clubs with aspirations to get into the Championship and establish themselves there.  Hull is a maybe, all depends on who gets the job there.  Liam Rosenior would probably be more favourable to an experienced English defender than someone who's managed in the Turkish SuperLiga, but it depends on what mandate he's got.  From the outside looking in, I think their owner wants to flood the team with foreign superstars and not sure Bennett is the type of signing he wants to make.

Donny, maybe?  Mansfield?  Nah.

If Donny or Mansfield were his only interested parties, he would've signed for us by now.
Posted by: coddy60, November 1, 2022, 3:30pm; Reply: 288
Quoted from 123614

So which clubs are they?

Ones too far away 🤷
Posted by: moosey_club, November 1, 2022, 8:08pm; Reply: 289
Quoted from coddy60

Ones too far away 🤷

That comes across very Father Ted like
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 1, 2022, 11:32pm; Reply: 290
Quoted from Mariner_09

If Donny or Mansfield were his only interested parties, he would've signed for us by now.

Exactly, I don't for a second think we're competing with them.  

But equally so anyone higher up/more appealing would have snapped him up by now, surely?  His pool of options is fairly small.  He's not exactly over the hill but at 32 the longer he's out of the game, the lower his chances of getting a decent move become.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 7, 2022, 7:47pm; Reply: 291
No longer training with us, was nice whilst it lasted!
Posted by: chaos33, November 7, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 292
Arsed. Not needed.
Posted by: toontown, November 7, 2022, 7:56pm; Reply: 293
Doing an education course or something like that apparently
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 7, 2022, 8:14pm; Reply: 294
Sometimes speculation is just that

When we beat Cambridge in R2 FA cup we can still dream of Old Trafford away…
Posted by: davmariner, November 7, 2022, 9:31pm; Reply: 295
Not remotely bothered. I think the budget is best spent elsewhere in the squad.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 7, 2022, 10:00pm; Reply: 296
Quoted from davmariner
Not remotely bothered. I think the budget is best spent elsewhere in the squad.

January could be critical, I know finding players in Jan is tough but if we could find that illusive younger, faster, more mobile, bigger goal threat version of Taylor, and maybe a McAtee understudy/replacement next season, we could be a serious prospect for promotion. Bennett would have been a relative marginal gain, that hypothesis striker could be a game changer.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 7, 2022, 11:54pm; Reply: 297
Quoted from Mariner_09

January could be critical, I know finding players in Jan is tough but if we could find that illusive younger, faster, more mobile, bigger goal threat version of Taylor, and maybe a McAtee understudy/replacement next season, we could be a serious prospect for promotion. Bennett would have been a relative marginal gain, that hypothesis striker could be a game changer.

Yep, a Popper frontman is all we need to complete the squad...

Posted by: diehardmariner, November 8, 2022, 9:39am; Reply: 298
All a bit weird.

Spent a long time training with us, much longer than the original announcement from the club regards it, to no avail.

Still maintain he would have proved a major asset and a coup.  Regardless of how strong we are in defence, he would be better surely?  Is it a priority area? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look to improve there if possible.   Same as any position in the team.

I don't believe we can only improve up front, nor that bringing in Bennett would have resulted in us not signing a top quality striker either.  
Posted by: Rick12, November 8, 2022, 5:21pm; Reply: 299

Exactly, I don't for a second think we're competing with them.  

But equally so anyone higher up/more appealing would have snapped him up by now, surely?  His pool of options is fairly small.  He's not exactly over the hill but at 32 the longer he's out of the game, the lower his chances of getting a decent move become.
Never did see Ryan Bennet play sadly for various reasons but a fan I knew told me he was quick but wasn't overly impressed with his footballing ability ?. Having said that has done well in the game. I've heard this view aimed at others as well eg defenders who done well and played premiership mainly due to pace and other factors eg intelligence from those who have played the game professionally ?.

Posted by: promotion plaice, November 8, 2022, 5:49pm; Reply: 300
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yep, a Popper frontman is all we need to complete the squad...

Jamie Tartt?

Posted by: GhostDan, November 8, 2022, 6:03pm; Reply: 301
Quoted from Rick12
Never did see Ryan Bennet play sadly for various reasons but a fan I knew told me he was quick but wasn't overly impressed with his footballing ability ?. Having said that has done well in the game. I've heard this view aimed at others as well eg defenders who done well and played premiership mainly due to pace and other factors eg intelligence from those who have played the game professionally ?.

I’d very quickly stop talking about football with whoever told you that.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 8, 2022, 6:09pm; Reply: 302
Quoted from Rick12

I don’t think the fan you know saw him either
Posted by: Poojah, November 8, 2022, 6:21pm; Reply: 303
Quoted from Rick12

Did your mate used to support Arsenal by any chance?

https://youtu.be/Fvjk47UORFs
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 8, 2022, 6:50pm; Reply: 304
Quoted from promotion plaice

Jamie Tartt?

Roy Kant in midfield would be rational then...

Posted by: Rick12, November 8, 2022, 10:15pm; Reply: 305
Quoted from pontoonlew

He is a  casual but yes he definitely saw him .

Posted by: Maringer, November 8, 2022, 11:45pm; Reply: 306
Quoted from pontoonlew

I've heard that Rob Atkinson was better than him anyway. So there.
Posted by: Rick12, November 8, 2022, 11:55pm; Reply: 307
Quoted from Maringer

I've heard that Rob Atkinson was better than him anyway. So there.
All opinions. Roy Hodgson ex England manager told Roberto Carlos he would never make it as a left back . Shows what he knows 😉.

Posted by: lukeo, November 9, 2022, 7:46am; Reply: 308
Left grimsby and on a course. Doesn't state what kind but fair play to him
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, November 9, 2022, 8:00am; Reply: 309
Quoted from Rick12
All opinions. Roy Hodgson ex England manager told Roberto Carlos he would never make it as a left back . Shows what he knows 😉.

Roberto Carlos moaned to the media that Roy Hodgson had told him he would never succeed at left back. Hodgson refutes it.

I would imagine Hodgson probably said something along the lines of, ‘I can’t play you at left back, in Serie A, in 1995, in a 4-4-2 because we would get ripped to shreds’. And Roy was right.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 9, 2022, 8:26am; Reply: 310
A Warhammer related dispute one would imagine.
Posted by: mike_d, November 9, 2022, 11:12am; Reply: 311
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Roy Kant in midfield would be rational then...

[youtube]79vdlEcWxvM[/youtube]
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 9, 2022, 1:37pm; Reply: 312
Quoted from mike_d

[youtube]79vdlEcWxvM[/youtube]

Aristipuss left out by the Greeks - out on the urine the night before again no doubt. Nietzsche did nowt again. Surprised the Krauts haven't annexed Karl Popper to replace him...

Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2022, 3:15pm; Reply: 313
Always loved that philosopher’s football. So good.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 9, 2022, 10:04pm; Reply: 314
Quoted from chaos33

They really missed a trick though by not having a Freidrich "Gunter" Nietzsche and giving him long flowing hair...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 9, 2022, 10:27pm; Reply: 315
Quoted from chaos33

You’ll love this then!

https://www.philosophyfootball.com/philosophers/-monty-python.html
Posted by: Simon, December 30, 2022, 10:14am; Reply: 316
Is Ryan Bennett still training with us?

Could do with him at the moment, try and steady us down at the back
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 30, 2022, 10:19am; Reply: 317
Quoted from Simon
Is Ryan Bennett still training with us?

Could do with him at the moment, try and steady us down at the back

Left ages ago, apparently on the grapevine it came out he'd had a bust with Hurst.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 3:44am