Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 114 Guests

Ryan Bennett

This thread currently has 62,111 views. Print
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
September 25, 2022, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,049
Gold Stars: 390
We could take him on a non-contract basis, which would leave him free to move to a high club up the pyramid. Apart from benefiting us it would also give him game time and improve his match fitness.

A win-win situation.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 317
Surrey97
September 27, 2022, 1:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 20
Once he’s improved his fitness, I’d expect to see Bennett sign initially until the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 317
Hagrid
September 27, 2022, 6:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Surrey97
Once he’s improved his fitness, I’d expect to see Bennett sign initially until the end of the season.

Christ what a selection of CB’s
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 317
Poojah
September 27, 2022, 7:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,676
Gold Stars: 1,508
If that were to materialise, it could be possibly our best signing, pound for pound relative to our level, for many a year. Defensively probably going back as far as Andy Todd, and just how good was he!?

A fit Bennett would be scary good in League Two. Would be great to see.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 317
Abdul19
September 27, 2022, 8:31am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,589
Gold Stars: 219
2 years ago we had Kyle Bennett, and the difference in class of Bennetts would be a real indicator of how far the club's moved forward.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 317
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 27, 2022, 9:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Could say the same about Greens

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 317
Poojah
September 27, 2022, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Could say the same about Greens

And Waterfalls. The one we had under Holloway was awful.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 317
diehardmariner
September 27, 2022, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Poojah
If that were to materialise, it could be possibly our best signing, pound for pound relative to our level, for many a year. Defensively probably going back as far as Andy Todd, and just how good was he!?

A fit Bennett would be scary good in League Two. Would be great to see.

On paper I'd say this would exceed that.

Todd, as excellent as he was, arrived at a side struggling of what is now the Championship.  But at that point in his career he had not quite established himself as a Premier League regular, in and out of the Bolton and Charlton sides that yo-yoed between the top two divisions (arguably more to do with Phil Brown's jaw than his ability mind).   Even after joining Blackburn after us he couldn't hold down a starting place for long.

Bennett has played far more games in the top flight (prior to any transer) and his drop (if it happens) is far greater than to the relegation scrap of the second tier.  Of course there's also the fact that Todd was a loan signing, Bennett would be permanent.   Todd was a good five years younger though.

The only I can think of that would come close is Dave Beasant.  He was the Chelsea No 1 just over a month before he arrived on loan with us and was only 3 years since he won his 2 England caps.

Maybe Garry Birtles, but he had already spent a few seasons in the third tier with Notts County before arriving at BP.

The one player who always stands out for me looking at in terms of the level they're playing at is Conor Townsend, but he was a young lad in both his spells.  One who was always, always going to end up at a much higher level.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 317
Poojah
September 27, 2022, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

On paper I'd say this would exceed that.

Todd, as excellent as he was, arrived at a side struggling of what is now the Championship.  But at that point in his career he had not quite established himself as a Premier League regular, in and out of the Bolton and Charlton sides that yo-yoed between the top two divisions (arguably more to do with Phil Brown's jaw than his ability mind).   Even after joining Blackburn after us he couldn't hold down a starting place for long.

Bennett has played far more games in the top flight (prior to any transer) and his drop (if it happens) is far greater than to the relegation scrap of the second tier.  Of course there's also the fact that Todd was a loan signing, Bennett would be permanent.   Todd was a good five years younger though.

The only I can think of that would come close is Dave Beasant.  He was the Chelsea No 1 just over a month before he arrived on loan with us and was only 3 years since he won his 2 England caps.

Maybe Garry Birtles, but he had already spent a few seasons in the third tier with Notts County before arriving at BP.

The one player who always stands out for me looking at in terms of the level they're playing at is Conor Townsend, but he was a young lad in both his spells.  One who was always, always going to end up at a much higher level.

Townsend mkII is the obvious one I’ve forgotten. Only young as you say but at least two divisions below his level when he was with us, as he proved by leaving us to go straight into a League One Scunny side.

I started watching Town as a kid, months after Birtles retired so I never had the pleasure of seeing him in a black and white shirt, but Beasant just oozed class didn’t he? If Bennett could look anywhere near that good it would be something truly to behold.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 317
Hagrid
September 27, 2022, 10:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Andy Todd is the best player i've seen in a town shirt. He had so much class
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 317
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.