Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 154 Guests

Ryan Bennett

This thread currently has 62,099 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 3, 2022, 8:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
In the hypothetical scenario of Bennett signing (!):

1. Chances are the four CBs wouldn’t all be available at the same time, whether it be injuries or suspension.

2. Waterfall’s easily our best CB in current form. Monster performance from him again vs Salford.

3. If you’re playing 3 at the back, Maher would be the natural fit at LCB because he’s left footed and has played LB before so is more natural out wide, covering behind the LWB.

4. If Bennett is anywhere near fit he’d be first choice

5. Smith has a mistake in him. When he’s not even our player you couldn’t play a ‘prospect’ over the other three, however talented he may be. The only reason you would is if there was a genuine chance of signing Smith permanently.

Everyone is quick to have a go at Efete, but Smith has made more defensive errors in the past 4 months than Efete.

I’m not sure Smith looked that comfortable at RCB on Saturday. It brought back memories of his adventures at RB last season. His distribution in the second half wasn’t great and Doig again gave him a rocket for getting caught ball watching and not tracking the flight of the ball.  

Smith is young and mistakes are part of the learning experience. However, as a manager, when you’re only a handful of matches from the sack, it’s often safer to go with the safe, experienced option, which is understandable.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 317
gtfc98
October 3, 2022, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from ska face
I’d like to see Bennett-Waterfall-Smith as a 3 with Maher screening in front, but then are we sacrificing something in the middle to accommodate 4 centre backs?

It might give some scope for wingbacks to be a bit more attacking, as Maher could drop into the back line if one on either side of the 3 needs to push out to close an attacker down the wing, but does Maher have the engine to do that? I couldn’t say, not seen enough of him.

He’s good with the ball and it might save Hunt & co from having to sit so deep to receive it. Glad it’s Hurst’s problem and not mine.

four centre backs Jeremy, FOUR? That's insane

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 317
GyMariner
October 3, 2022, 9:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +692
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from gtfc98

four centre backs Jeremy, FOUR? That's insane

I remember when people used to call PH too defensive!! Listen to you all now 😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 317
October 3, 2022, 9:59pm
Guest User
What the Bear said.
Reply: 203 - 317
Lost in Lincoln
October 3, 2022, 10:03pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Quoted from 123614
In my simple opinion, Smith is not our player, and if Hull don't want to sell him at the end of his loan spell, then he will be gone.  I believe that Bennet should be in the team in place of Smith, you just cannot leave Bennet out for a young loanee.  As good as he is, he is nowhere near the class or has the experience that Bennet has.

I see where you're coming from, but you don't sign a loan player to sit him on the bench.  If you're not going to play him, may as well send him back - that's not going to happen, so he plays when fit.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 204 - 317
diehardmariner
October 4, 2022, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Just to add something else to the mix...

Bennett should (and I hope he would) stand out at this level.  I mean really stand out.   We're already fairly solid defensively, up there as one of the best in the division.  

Would the addition of Bennett afford us a little more freedom further up the pitch?

Thinking about it more, I've previously said that Waterfall doesn't budge.  But presented with the chance of a player of Bennett's pedigree, wouldn't Hurst be tempted to put him at the heart of the defence and using his knowledge, skill and experience to control the play more?

Buggered if I know, I'm still trying to fit Shaun Pearson into my starting XI!
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 317
October 4, 2022, 9:49am
Guest User
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

I see where you're coming from, but you don't sign a loan player to sit him on the bench.  If you're not going to play him, may as well send him back - that's not going to happen, so he plays when fit.

In the same vein, if Bennet signs for us, you cannot leave him on the bench either, so who gets left out?

Reply: 206 - 317
GollyGTFC
October 4, 2022, 10:04am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,041
Gold Stars: 358
In the hypothetical scenario of Bennett signing (!):

1. Chances are the four CBs wouldn’t all be available at the same time, whether it be injuries or suspension.

2. Waterfall’s easily our best CB in current form. Monster performance from him again vs Salford.

3. If you’re playing 3 at the back, Maher would be the natural fit at LCB because he’s left footed and has played LB before so is more natural out wide, covering behind the LWB.

4. If Bennett is anywhere near fit he’d be first choice

5. Smith has a mistake in him. When he’s not even our player you couldn’t play a ‘prospect’ over the other three, however talented he may be. The only reason you would is if there was a genuine chance of signing Smith permanently.

Everyone is quick to have a go at Efete, but Smith has made more defensive errors in the past 4 months than Efete.

I’m not sure Smith looked that comfortable at RCB on Saturday. It brought back memories of his adventures at RB last season. His distribution in the second half wasn’t great and Doig again gave him a rocket for getting caught ball watching and not tracking the flight of the ball.  

Smith is young and mistakes are part of the learning experience. However, as a manager, when you’re only a handful of matches from the sack, it’s often safer to go with the safe, experienced option, which is understandable.

I remember back in the day us having Handyside, Lever, Rodger and Richard Smith as centre-backs for a couple of seasons. And having Paul Groves, Wayne Burnett, Stacy Coldicott & Tommy Widdrington as central midfielders in 1998/99.

You can have 4 good quality centre-backs and central midfielders and play a 4-4-2 based formation.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 207 - 317
Limerick Mariner
October 4, 2022, 10:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I remember back in the day us having Handyside, Lever, Rodger and Richard Smith as centre-backs for a couple of seasons. And having Paul Groves, Wayne Burnett, Stacy Coldicott & Tommy Widdrington as central midfielders in 1998/99.

You can have 4 good quality centre-backs and central midfielders and play a 4-4-2 based formation.

I think we'd all have been happy with a whole team of Paul Futchers wouldn't we...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 317
Lost in Lincoln
October 4, 2022, 10:52am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Quoted from 123614

In the same vein, if Bennet signs for us, you cannot leave him on the bench either, so who gets left out?

*if* he signs, I'd imagine he'd be on a decent whack, so yes he plays.  As for who gets left out, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.  

I still think it's unlikely he will though, so it's moot really.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 209 - 317
32 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.