Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 142 Guests

Ryan Bennett

This thread currently has 62,107 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Bigdog

I don't doubt what you say about Waterfall.. but as good as he's been playing, I'm getting the feeling that he's nearing the breaking point of his ceiling of ability, playing on full throttle, whereas Smith and Maher seem to have higher gears to step up to in the future if required..

Yep, completely agree.  Waterfall will only ever be a lower league battler.  That's not a slight on him either.  But we also need that type of player whilst we're at this level.  A back 3 of Maher, Bennett and Smith would lack that ruggedness, to my eyes anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 317
Poojah
October 3, 2022, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,675
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from ska face
I’d like to see Bennett-Waterfall-Smith as a 3 with Maher screening in front, but then are we sacrificing something in the middle to accommodate 4 centre backs?

It might give some scope for wingbacks to be a bit more attacking, as Maher could drop into the back line if one on either side of the 3 needs to push out to close an attacker down the wing, but does Maher have the engine to do that? I couldn’t say, not seen enough of him.

He’s good with the ball and it might save Hunt & co from having to sit so deep to receive it. Glad it’s Hurst’s problem and not mine.

It’s not the worst shout in the world by any means, but it would leave you having to pick just two from Clifton, Hunt, Holohan, Morris and Green (plus potentially even Khan) when all are fit.

It remains to be seen whether we stumbled on something on Saturday, but I liked the shape of us in a 3-5-2 and feel it might enable us to get on the front foot more at home, something we’ve struggled to do thus far.

Something like this could be quite tasty at home

Crocombe
Smith / Waterfall / Bennett
Efete / Hunt / Clifton / Glennon
Khan
Taylor / Richardson or Orsi

Some of those players would be interchangeable; plenty of arguments to include Maher, Morris, Green and Holohan in there for a start (and of course McAtee when fit), but that for me makes the most of our squad, which is characterised by great strength in depth in central defence and central midfield, and less so elsewhere.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 317
Bigdog
October 3, 2022, 11:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yep, completely agree.  Waterfall will only ever be a lower league battler.  That's not a slight on him either.  But we also need that type of player whilst we're at this level.  A back 3 of Maher, Bennett and Smith would lack that ruggedness, to my eyes anyway.

A back three of Maher, Smith and Bennett is one that every team at this level could only dream of. They're all rugged enough when required without outwardly looking as rugged as Waterfall if you know what I mean.. I think there wouldn't be any concerns about starting them a level up in League One either..

Anyway.. I'd sign Bennett in a heartbeat if there was a deal to be done, but more pressing is getting the right blend in central midfield and also the right attacking options on the pitch, my choice would be for more mobility up front. If PH can solve both, then the wide areas, to employ either attacking minded or defensively minded, will sort itself out over time or according to opposition..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 317
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I think we all want to see Clifton make a stamp on a central midfield role, myself included.  But Saturday just highlighted even further that he's so bloody effective when out wide.  We've got a range of options centrally and the suggestion regards Maher (which I quite like) further adds to that.  Equally so we don't have anyone else who can play that wingback role down the right flank.

I think Clifton comes out the equation centrally.  A combination of needs must in wide areas and also references our range of options centrally.  

Hypothetically, Hurst is reading this forum and having signed Bennett decides that he wants to put him in a back 3, with Maher screening.  Clifton out wide leaves Hunt, Holohan, Green and Morris to occupy two of the other midfield slots, when everyone is fit anyway.  If you've got someone screening already you need players who are prepared to press and push.  So that's Morris ruled out and Holohan starting straight away.   Hunt and Green battling out the last starting role and I think this is where it's horses for courses.  Green is energetic as hell and I quite liked when he was given a bit of licence to roam forward and press teams high.  Hunt on the other hand is technically better, far better but does he naturally get drawn back into a deeper role where he wants to dictate play.  
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 317
marinerjase
October 3, 2022, 11:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,669
Gold Stars: 147
Not sure Saturdays formation was in the plans tbh, and PH said in his post match interview that that system doesn’t suit us. But it’s surely worth considering in the future and use as and when.

If Bennett does sign then he has to play. Waterfall you play..he’s a leader, been outstanding. Smith also barring the odd error, though I’m not certain that system is the best for him. Maher not seen enough of yet (for us), but you’d assume he can do the job.

My thoughts on how we ‘progress/iron out home form’ is the role of Hunt, and the link and protection of back line, together with working out linking offensively. For me atm Hunt is trying too hard so to speak, he’s dropping more or less in to the back line to receive the ball, knows it’s his job to get the ball moving, the team going and create. And I think he’s caught somewhere between the middle in that respect..wants to move the ball quickly and guilty of giving it away at times. That’s not a dig or criticism..as said think he’s trying to hard at times, and utilising someone like Morris, who can sit and do the untidy stuff - may allow Hunt a little more help, in not having to drop as deep, and not cover as much ground, and help offensively in being closer to the options.  A similar problem that we have at top end of pitch until McAtees return. Taylor has a thankless task at times..we’ve got to work out how to get someone nearer, maybe utilise Orsi/Richardson as a forward next to him rather than behind. If Hunt can play ahead of Morris that should help in Richardson/whoever not dropping deeper.

Then there’s the quandary of how we play..use the width with Khan and Clifton who you know what you get, or create with JMD, but the 3-5-2 wouldn’t suit his play imho. Holohan could be used as someone to get between the lines, and the plus I guess for PH is that there are indeed numerous options to try during games. We’ve a decent squad, so if Bennett signs potentially a side like..

Crocombe
Bennett Waterfall Smith
Morris
Clifton Hunt Holohan Khan
Richardson Taylor
(3/5/2)

Again there’s the likes of Kiernan to consider bringing on later on.

Or a 4-4-2

Crocombe
Clifton Waterfall Smith Bennett
JMD Hunt Morris Khan
Taylor Richardson/Orsi

Or Efete when form returns, Clifton in midfield (still think his best position is the one he played Saturday, but he’s prob first name on team sheet in whatever position, that’s to his credit)

Of course there’s the problem of keeping those who aren’t getting games happy, and the impending return of McAtee, possible transfer activity in/out in January..

Not easy this management lark, but nice problems to have.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 317
pontoonlew
October 3, 2022, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
For me, 3 at the back makes sense and if he does go with it then Bennett is a no brainer.

Our wingers are usually picked on their ability to defend first and foremost so I don’t really think we’re losing much going forward with wing backs instead. If we do then Clifton is perfect for that RWB role, it’s the role that most suits his skill set IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 317
October 3, 2022, 12:31pm
Guest User
In my simple opinion, Smith is not our player, and if Hull don't want to sell him at the end of his loan spell, then he will be gone.  I believe that Bennet should be in the team in place of Smith, you just cannot leave Bennet out for a young loanee.  As good as he is, he is nowhere near the class or has the experience that Bennet has.
Reply: 186 - 317
Hagrid
October 3, 2022, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from 123614
In my simple opinion, Smith is not our player, and if Hull don't want to sell him at the end of his loan spell, then he will be gone.  I believe that Bennet should be in the team in place of Smith, you just cannot leave Bennet out for a young loanee.  As good as he is, he is nowhere near the class or has the experience that Bennet has.

but then you dont bring in a loan player to not play him... you find a way to play your best players, smith is one of ours.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 317
Bigdog
October 3, 2022, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 123614

It's a good point, but.. Only Hurst will know the possibility of signing Smith in the future. We'll stand more chance in the player's eyes if he's playing. There is also the question of looking to where we want to go as a club as much as present day needs. If we're looking to build for the future.. ie League One, which we'll need to do to get to the level of a promoted team from League Two, then Smith must come into the equation as we'd be a nice permanent proposition for him at a level up from where we are now. That would leave us in the seemingly unlikely position from a short few month's ago where Waterfall could be fourth choice.. if Bennett did sign. Maybe not fourth choice right now, but at some point in the not too distant future, and that would be very strong position to be in defensively..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 317
GyMariner
October 3, 2022, 12:50pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +692
Gold Stars: 7
Why are we talking about where Bennett will play? Have I missed something or have we not learnt from these rumours last time?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 317
32 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.