Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 139 Guests

Ryan Bennett

This thread currently has 62,101 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Manchester Mariner
October 3, 2022, 9:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from 140381
Maybe Bennett is just letting off some steam.

Sublime reference to one of the finest cinematic moments of all time there. 👍

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 317
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
There's a lot of news about Bennett this week that he's about to sign this week, although I always think any ITK stuff is likely to come from one person and just spread like wildfire.

If it happens, I can't imagine Hurst (or any other manager) at this level that won't shoehorn Bennett into the starting line-up at the first possible opportunity.

Our 4 current centre-backs are excellent for this level and I wouldn't want to change them for anyone else at this level.   But Bennett is streets above this level and has proven so in the last 14 years.  He's 32 so hardly over the hill either.  The question for me is who he replaces...
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 317
fishcake63
October 3, 2022, 10:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
He will play right side of a 3 or right side of a 2 so take your pick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 317
Poojah
October 3, 2022, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,674
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from diehardmariner
There's a lot of news about Bennett this week that he's about to sign this week, although I always think any ITK stuff is likely to come from one person and just spread like wildfire.

If it happens, I can't imagine Hurst (or any other manager) at this level that won't shoehorn Bennett into the starting line-up at the first possible opportunity.

Our 4 current centre-backs are excellent for this level and I wouldn't want to change them for anyone else at this level.   But Bennett is streets above this level and has proven so in the last 14 years.  He's 32 so hardly over the hill either.  The question for me is who he replaces...

I suspect Hurst is playing this one quite cleverly. As much as I agree that if Bennett is head and shoulders above any of the defenders we have he should go into the team, it’s easy to forget the human element to this.

There is something to be said for the team dynamic. Hurst sides are generally characterised as being greater than the sum of their parts, and rarely reliant on marquee signings. Bringing in a multi-millionaire, freshly ex-Premier League player into the group does pose a risk when the majority of the squad will be on money not dissimilar to the average man on the street.

By bringing Bennett to train on the premise of him just looking to get fit, and having him train with the youths on occasion, enables him to get to know the players, demonstrate his quality and, crucially, that he’s no Billy big bóllocks before he becomes a ‘threat’ to their place in the team.

By the time he, hopefully, signs, he’s had chance to demonstrate what a no-brainer it is for the manager and that he’s alright as a bloke (he certainly comes across as being at the less flash end of the PL spectrum).

Could be an absolutely outstanding piece of business for us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 317
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I suspect Hurst is playing this one quite cleverly. As much as I agree that if Bennett is head and shoulders above any of the defenders we have he should go into the team, it’s easy to forget the human element to this.

There is something to be said for the team dynamic. Hurst sides are generally characterised as being greater than the sum of their parts, and rarely reliant on marquee signings. Bringing in a multi-millionaire, freshly ex-Premier League player into the group does pose a risk when the majority of the squad will be on money not dissimilar to the average man on the street.

By bringing Bennett to train on the premise of him just looking to get fit, and having him train with the youths on occasion, enables him to get to know the players, demonstrate his quality and that he’s no Billy big bóllocks before he becomes a ‘threat’ to their place in the team.

By the time he, hopefully, signs, he’s had chance to demonstrate what a no-brainer it is for the manager and that he’s alright as a bloke (he certainly comes across as being at the less flash end of the PL spectrum).

Could be an absolutely outstanding piece of business for us.

Agreed.  On paper it's a no-brainer.  But Hurst knows the dressing room and the value of a good one.  To my mind he's got two blots on his copy book when it comes to bringing players into the dressing room as a Town player:

1) Richard Brodie - which was early on his Town career and the dressing room itself, by all accounts, sorted him out.  We also don't know who led for bringing Brodie into the squad, Hurst or Scott.  
2) Stefan Payne - He needed to gamble and it backfired.

Fast forward to 2022 and Hurst doesn't need to gamble, he's already got 4 good centre-backs.  He's also got the upper hand in that Bennett appears to want the move more than we do.  Amazing really that we're in such a position.
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 317
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from fishcake63
He will play right side of a 3 or right side of a 2 so take your pick

That would suggest Smith.

I would disagree on that one to be honest.  

If I was a betting men I would say Maher is the one who's place is under threat.  

Smith's pace is a major asset for us, especially as we press higher and even more if we went with a back three.  Waterfall is his warrior and leader on the pitch, I don't see anyone budging him.  
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 317
Poojah
October 3, 2022, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,674
Gold Stars: 1,508

Agreed.  On paper it's a no-brainer.  But Hurst knows the dressing room and the value of a good one.  To my mind he's got two blots on his copy book when it comes to bringing players into the dressing room as a Town player:

1) Richard Brodie - which was early on his Town career and the dressing room itself, by all accounts, sorted him out.  We also don't know who led for bringing Brodie into the squad, Hurst or Scott.  
2) Stefan Payne - He needed to gamble and it backfired.

Fast forward to 2022 and Hurst doesn't need to gamble, he's already got 4 good centre-backs.  He's also got the upper hand in that Bennett appears to want the move more than we do.  Amazing really that we're in such a position.

From what I know of Bennett, I think he’s a very different character to Brodie and Payne. I think he’s led a pretty controversy-free career; some rumblings about him shagging Diogo Jota’s wife but they’re somewhat unsubstantiated rumours.

I think the only real danger is bringing in someone with a very different wealth profile to the rest of the squad, but that’s manageable. Leave the Lambo on the drive and invest in a 2012 Mondeo to get you to and from training. Easily solved.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 317
Bigdog
October 3, 2022, 10:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

That would suggest Smith.

I would disagree on that one to be honest.  

If I was a betting men I would say Maher is the one who's place is under threat.  

Smith's pace is a major asset for us, especially as we press higher and even more if we went with a back three.  Waterfall is his warrior and leader on the pitch, I don't see anyone budging him.  

I don't doubt what you say about Waterfall.. but as good as he's been playing, I'm getting the feeling that he's nearing the breaking point of his ceiling of ability, playing on full throttle, whereas Smith and Maher seem to have higher gears to step up to in the future if required..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 317
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Paul Groves used to cycle to training...

I want to see Bennett turning up at Cheapside on a rusty-chained mountain bike that's 3 sizes too small, complete with bull bars and his trackies tucked into his socks.

Anything less and he's a big time Charlie.
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 317
ska face
October 3, 2022, 10:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,765
Gold Stars: 851
I’d like to see Bennett-Waterfall-Smith as a 3 with Maher screening in front, but then are we sacrificing something in the middle to accommodate 4 centre backs?

It might give some scope for wingbacks to be a bit more attacking, as Maher could drop into the back line if one on either side of the 3 needs to push out to close an attacker down the wing, but does Maher have the engine to do that? I couldn’t say, not seen enough of him.

He’s good with the ball and it might save Hunt & co from having to sit so deep to receive it. Glad it’s Hurst’s problem and not mine.
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 317
32 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.