14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc82
July 29, 2017, 6:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from 123614

I guess it's because you don't seem to have taken into account that we were playing a team that were in the Championship last season!

That's irrelevant when the player just passes the ball either straight out of play or straight to the opponents' players!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 133
GyMariner
July 29, 2017, 6:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Of course it's going to be difficult for Vernon to bring others into play considering the calibre of player we're against. On the whole we've limited another good team to very few chances.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 133
July 29, 2017, 6:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from gtfc82

That's irrelevant when the player just passes the ball either straight out of play or straight to the opponents' players!

And are you saying that happened every time we passed the ball?  Watch any football match, Premier League , International or any others, players make mistakes, pass the ball out of play etc.  They are only human, and we are in League Two, you will not get excellence at this level, 100% effort is what I would expect and would be happy with that!
Reply: 62 - 133
chaos33
July 29, 2017, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Bottom line for me, we are, all things considered, short of 2 or 3 quality players in key positions, including at least one striker and an influential centre midfielder, and this probably adds up to us being decent, but short of play off credentials as things stand.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 133
AndyGTFC
July 29, 2017, 6:16pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Decent workout against a side favourites for promotion in League One. Look well organised as you'd expect from a Slade team and Dembele was again outstanding. Agree we could definitely do with another striker though as goals will be hard to come by but to be fair, Vernon was up against Burn who is a very good defender.

Thought Summerfield and Bolarinwa were both decent when they came on too, and the former might find himself starting the season now with Berrett's injury!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 133
Fat Cobra
July 29, 2017, 6:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
Quoted from golfer

I absolutely hate to agree

There there, mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 133
sam gy
July 29, 2017, 6:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from gtfc82
Why the crosses? Do some people not like to face the facts? Did we look like scoring? Did Vernon or Cardwell look like scoring? Did Kelly do anything worth mentioning?

Did we just draw against a team that are far superior to us? Did we restrict them to very few chances?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 133
Tommy
July 29, 2017, 6:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I've not been to any of the pre-season friendlies and probably know as much as some of you who have, about how we'll fare next weekend when it matters.

Friendlies aren't played with the same intensity, with the same desire or motivation as competitive games. In possession you aren't put under the same sort of pressure from opposition, nor are you under mental pressure because it's a competitive match with 5000 people watching. Some players look better in these sorts of games and others will flourish in the games when the pressure's on and it means something. And better players are generally the ones that are better in the competitive/pressure games.

I suspect one of the main focuses of today was "can we be organised and hard to break down against a team we know will have most of the possession?". I wasn't there so I've got no idea but it looks from some people's comments that we generally were.

Was today the line-up and system that Slade will want us to start with at Chesterfield? Who knows.
1) Slade would know there would've been a Chesterfield scout there today. Perhaps he wouldn't want to give everything away.
2) another week for us to bring in 1 or 2 new players. Possibly the so far elusive striker to fill the no.9 shirt? Or a loan midfielder whilst we're missing a few there.

I'll be at Chesterfield next week with an open mind. Even with the ones that were here last season that we'd made our minds up on already. But don't panic, the season lasts 46 games, it's not the end of the world if our squad building isn't finished until after the first couple of games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 133
gtfc82
July 29, 2017, 7:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from sam gy

Did we just draw against a team that are far superior to us? Did we restrict them to very few chances?

Where do you think our goals are going to come from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 133
newarkmariner
July 29, 2017, 7:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
back to Newark had my tea and had time to digest what I witnessed today, so here goes
Back 4 solid against a very very dirty but very good team, Clark and Collins looked very comfortable and Osbourne looked good when he came on, Mills had a poor game in my opinion.Midfield was bossed about too much but did ok against higher calibre players,Summerfield was better than Barrett, Rose did well as did Jones,DEMPELE showed that he is going to cause havoc this season, the  trialist didn't show much for me so wouldn't take him on,Dixon looked a bit out of it at first but got better and showed a cool head and a decent touch,up front we were lacking , Vernon got no change out off 2 quality CB,i feel that RS will have something up his sleeve otherwise why let Yussef go, Overall an ok performance against the 2nd favs to win L1but in my opinion are a lot better than Blackburn who are favs,Now to see what happens in the next week as we all get geared up for Chesterfield,cant bloody wait UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town vs Wigan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.