MuddyWaters
July 30, 2017, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Only a kid at the time but I remember Mitchell used to give the ball away a lot.

And that's why I made the comparison. I remember Mitchell's job as trying to move the ball quickly which sometimes means losing it and i see that in Berrett - I know it infuriates fans but sometimes, if it releases someone like Dembele half a second quicker then it may make all the difference.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 133
HertsGTFC
July 30, 2017, 5:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,872
Gold Stars: 227
Yeah I see that, I don't think Berret is as bad as everyone makes out but I am still not sure if he's meant to be a wide player or not. Also think that if everyone was fit he wouldn't be a starter, RS seems to like him though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 133
golfer
July 30, 2017, 8:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 115
Have looked at the video countless times and still can't workout why their defender wasn't sent off for bringing down Bolly-he was definitely the last man. Feel the ref. was a bit biased right from the start
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 133
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 30, 2017, 8:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And that's why I made the comparison. I remember Mitchell's job as trying to move the ball quickly which sometimes means losing it and i see that in Berrett - I know it infuriates fans but sometimes, if it releases someone like Dembele half a second quicker then it may make all the difference.

When Joe Waters came over he was asked about the side he played in and he made the point that they played the same home and away. They had a formula and everyone knew their role. John Newman started that in Div 4 and it was continued by Kerr and Booth. Bobby Mitchell's job was to get the ball to players who could play as soon as he could. He was one of the most unselfish players we have ever had, far from the best as he admitted himself, but essential to the team.

I'm not saying Berrett is the same but every side needs grafters like Mitchell.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 133
HertsGTFC
July 30, 2017, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,872
Gold Stars: 227
Yeah that's Berret's big weakness he can't get the ball off an opponent.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 133
chaos33
July 30, 2017, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from MuddyWaters

For those of us even older, he reminds me of Bobby Mitchell and Jim Dobbin.

Funny, because I don't see him as anything like those players. Unless you mean in the sense that they weren't generally rated by the crowd, I don't think your statement has much basis in fact.

To me, Berrett is like a slightly poorer Paddy McLaughlin, but without the goals, skills and assists. He's not good enough to start in a L2 team with ambitions.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 133
MuddyWaters
July 30, 2017, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

Funny, because I don't see him as anything like those players. Unless you mean in the sense that they weren't generally rated by the crowd, I don't think your statement has much basis in fact.

To me, Berrett is like a slightly poorer Paddy McLaughlin, but without the goals, skills and assists. He's not good enough to start in a L2 team with ambitions.

But was good enough to start over 200 games for Huddersfield and Carlisle in League 1?
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 133
Rodley Mariner
July 30, 2017, 9:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I don't see a similar player to Jim Dobbin but I don't see one inferior to  Paddy Mclaughlin either. If your appraisal is right Chaos then it seems odd that the poorer player, who lacks goals, skills and assists, has had a much better career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 133
Cloudy
July 30, 2017, 9:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But was good enough to start over 200 games for Huddersfield and Carlisle in League 1?

Don't know why you keep quoting this as it is irrelevant.
I would add Matt Heywood started nearly 300 games above the 4th tier before he joined GTFC. I rest my case
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 133
chaos33
July 30, 2017, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't see a similar player to Jim Dobbin but I don't see one inferior to  Paddy Mclaughlin either. If your appraisal is right Chaos then it seems odd that the poorer player, who lacks goals, skills and assists, has had a much better career.

Yeah I accept that Rodley, but sometimes these things happen. For me, he is just a fairly lightweight, limited player and I don't see any real strengths in his game. You can't argue with the stats as you say - obviously he's played at L1 level, and I'm no manager. Just an opinion.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 133
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town vs Wigan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.