Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other Clubs Transfer News
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 152 Guests

Other Clubs Transfer News

This thread currently has 76,443 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
July 22, 2017, 1:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,971
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mariner_09
As much as I am loathed to say it, we should look at Lincoln and look at how they capitalised upon the feel good vibes this year and see how much of a missed opportunity last season was to really push our season ticket sales up and therefore our merchandise sales as well. Could have added another 500k onto our turnover and given us some serious financial clout this summer. They'll do ok, they've made a couple of good signings. Bostock and Green are good quality for this level.

For once I agree with Cloudy ................Also you've missed the point 09 which is they would not be doing half as much as they have been in terms and signings and ticket sales  if they hadn't had the cup run.It's easy to get momentum locally when you have been the darlings of the media for 6 months like they where..

Loads of people have said we have got season ticket sales wrong this season but nobody would have been that worried if the Gimps hadn't sold loads, in reality we will go into the first day in two weeks time having sold around what we usually sell. Remember yes last season we hit 3,000 but the season had started before we crossed that line.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 240
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2017, 3:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm sure there must have been some active promotion of S/T at Sincil Bank as well as the general feel good factor around the place.

And the point about people being worried because of the Gimps sales, is the crux of the issue Herts. It is a competitive sport. You want to put your team in with the best chance and money is a big part of that.

Line two towns of a not too dissimilar catchment population and you'd expect sales to be within 10-20% of each other. When one outsells the other by 2 there's something wrong. For years it was us out-selling them. We as a club need to look at what they're doing better, not just sit back and say 'it was the BBC wot dunnit'.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 240
Balthazar Bullitt
July 22, 2017, 3:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Serious question KM.

How much would Town have had to spend to get even a fifth of the coverage given to our southern neighbours?

Agree we should be doing more to increase the baseline support, particularly among younger fans and not just expecting people to turn up when (I'm optimistic) we get a new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 240
KingstonMariner
July 22, 2017, 4:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt
Serious question KM.

How much would Town have had to spend to get even a fifth of the coverage given to our southern neighbours?

Agree we should be doing more to increase the baseline support, particularly among younger fans and not just expecting people to turn up when (I'm optimistic) we get a new ground.

Why would I know? I'm not disputing they got a lot of TV coverage. It's not as if it's bringing in more neutral fans from around the country. It raises the profile so it'll help with sponsorship and other 'commercial' income. But it's not as if the residents of Lincoln didn't know about the football club. For locals it's more about a good vibe around the place, which can be achieved without a high national profile - Wembley 98.

The club are taking no initiatives when it comes to ticket sales. It should be ensuring BP is bursting at the seems to support its case for a new ground as you say. We should be spurred on by what's going on down the A46. What have we seen for the second pre-season running? Zilch!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 240
HertsGTFC
July 22, 2017, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I'm sure there must have been some active promotion of S/T at Sincil Bank as well as the general feel good factor around the place.

And the point about people being worried because of the Gimps sales, is the crux of the issue Herts. It is a competitive sport. You want to put your team in with the best chance and money is a big part of that.

Line two towns of a not too dissimilar catchment population and you'd expect sales to be within 10-20% of each other. When one outsells the other by 2 there's something wrong. For years it was us out-selling them. We as a club need to look at what they're doing better, not just sit back and say 'it was the BBC wot dunnit'.

I see your point and it's galling to see what they are doing. My view is why do people think that as the Gimps have sold a lot of season tickets then we must have been doing something wrong? What do people expect the club to do sell them at half price, what good would that do? What difference would that make to our finances? Only they can answer the question.Though many posters wont like it we just need to accept that the club know more about selling season tickets than we do.The early bird scheme offered a discount and unlike many clubs we froze the prices but personally I would have liked to have see a number of kids tickets free if bought with an adult ticket in the Main Stand but I can't tell you if that would have made a difference to sales and income though..

Lincoln where always going to sell more season tickets than us and anyone who thought differently was a bit deluded. Why? because they have just come off the back of arguably their best season ever in terms of success on the pitch, generating revenue and public profile much of which has been generated by the media's love affair with The Cowley's That has created demand because everyone wants to be associated with a winning team.

We however came up with a "functional" squad and after a month or two showed some promise of establishing ourselves as play off "possibles" rather than "probables" . The manager left and we replaced him with an appointment who on paper looked decent but almost from day one fu&%$ed it up and served up football that possibly put people off coming to "The BP" after some promising gates pre Christmas. Oh yeah add to that we got knocked out of both cups at the first attempt.All of which has possibly reduced demand.

So the argument is how can you generate demand? Well with a purchase that can be in excess of £300 knocking money off does not generally entice people back who where put off last season or before. In my time as a GTFC fan demand has been at it's highest when we do well on the pitch, so lets hope we see demand off the scale this coming season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 240
friskneymariner
July 22, 2017, 6:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Not really big on the concept of marketing are you?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 240
barralad
July 22, 2017, 7:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Sometimes, the appointment of a manager (managers?) triggers a series of events that somehow energises a whole town. For Grimsby Town it was the appointment way back in 1971 of Lawrie Mac. Just about the lowest crowd of that season was the opening game against Scunny...over 7k.  Such was the buzz around the Town that had season tickets been as big an issue then as now our sales performance may have been as significant. Last season was Lincoln's similar all coming together moment. We got two years of Lawrie. Lincoln will do well to get more than that from the brothers.  To compare our pre season last year with Lincoln's this year based on the feelgood factor carried forward is in my view grossly unfair.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 240
HertsGTFC
July 22, 2017, 7:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Actually you'd be surprised it's a big part of my job? The question Town face is do that many more people want to buy a season ticket? You can incentivise all you like but if the demand is not there then it's pretty pointless, you may as well keep the price where it is and hope on the field performances generate full price sales.

What would you have done to sell more season tickets then? Just reducing prices may not have guaranteed take up. You can only market an attractive proposition and my point was that based upon what we where served in the last sesson how attractive is buying a season ticket for Town?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 240
HertsGTFC
July 22, 2017, 7:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Unless like many of us your heart rules your head of course 🙂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 240
forza ivano
July 23, 2017, 12:11am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,222
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Actually you'd be surprised it's a big part of my job? The question Town face is do that many more people want to buy a season ticket? You can incentivise all you like but if the demand is not there then it's pretty pointless, you may as well keep the price where it is and hope on the field performances generate full price sales.

What would you have done to sell more season tickets then? Just reducing prices may not have guaranteed take up. You can only market an attractive proposition and my point was that based upon what we where served in the last sesson how attractive is buying a season ticket for Town?

You're in marketing Herts??.... You could've fooled me. Surely the point of marketing is to make a product a must have, or the go to thing .at very least for the product to be instantly recognisable. I accept that sales and marketing is easy in the good times, but a geographically isolated town like gy ,with its limited success over the last ten years is definitely a case where innovative, imaginative and aggressive marketing is required. The club has actually done some very good things via social media over the last few years, I think using Lloyd and the shop plus several of the other videos were exceptionally good.it would be so beneficial if they could somehow have used that creativity, imagination and irreverence in terms of attracting support and ticket sales.
I have wished for years that we could really look at how things are done abroad for example in terms of making the fans part of the club.im not an expert in marketing but I know that in my business you always need to be thinking of a new angle, or exploring new possibilities in order to keep the business as efficient as possible. The idea of some sort of shift ticket seems an obvious example which must be possible to implement;after all if BP is half full we regard it as a big crowd, which means that most times there are 3-4000 seats going spare

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 240
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other Clubs Transfer News

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.