Mariner93er
January 15, 2017, 2:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from jonnyboy82

in which he tries to be biggy big balls and claim we lost the match due to Exeter having 10 men behind the ball

Did he? Because as far as I could tell, he said that in response to why we struggled more second half to first half, which in the context is completely different. And he didn't really do it as an excuse either, his point was clearly that we are not capable of breaking down teams because of a lack of creativity. Which is undoubtedly correct. And in response to others who have said he shouldn't be so open about our need to improve, because the poor players will feel bad. I'm sorry, but what he is saying is blatantly true, and if the players themselves can't see that, then they're deluded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
ginnywings
January 15, 2017, 2:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Is it a "good way" ? some would say it's quite rude but Conti apart (he may do it I've just never seen it) is par for the course for the ones you mention above. I am an experienced senior manager who has worked in sales, commerce and with clinical professionals  where answering a question with a question is considered unprofessional and not general business practice if you ant to remain credible in your field...................The Apprentice does not represent real life.  

Yeah but this is football and all reason goes out of the window with the attached emotion. I'm not buying a used car from him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
Cloudy
January 15, 2017, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I said from the start of the season this would be an up and down season and so it seems.

The sad thing is we have rarely fired at home despite the attendances holding up very well. The 5 we scored v Stevenage with Omar's hat trick may well have been the highlight, but that seems like a very long time ago.

Defeats at home to Exeter, Hartlepool, Cheltenham, Crewe etc are worrying because they are hardly the divisional heavyweights but I am concerned by MB's reasoning that our players are unable to compete with mid table teams, or that we are simply not good enough.

I don't accept we aren't good enough to compete, we may well get beaten, but yesterday I thought we were dull from the off and seemed content to 'hold' the mighty Exeter.
I am happy enough with the the formation but less so with the personnel. MB himself has said he wasn't the sort of manager who believed you kept a winning side, more he would select a side to win each game. I don't think he did that yesterday and that isn't just with the benefit of hindsight. The midfield 5 didn't have one genuine attacking player, 3 full backs a defensive midfielder and Dizza. Hardly a positive message to the fans, the opponents or to the GTFC team itself. So much for the attacking football measure MB has declared, I have hardly seen one shred of evidence of it yet.

I don't think this, "these aren't my players" argument holds much water either. No manager comes in mid season and can change all the personnel, the squad is large and varied, but t is up to Bignot to get a system that wins and, secondly entertains, he isn't doing so at present. His comments that the players aren't good enough is not the best example of man management I have ever seen but he continually claims this is a major strength of his.

I am not slagging off the position we find ourselves in the league, perfectly 'happy' to be mid table, really enjoyed away days at Plymouth, Luton, Cambridge etc but long to see something to get enthused about at BP.

Hurst got slagged off for raving about the opposition, Bignot is doing the same whilst also belittling his own players.

Less talk and PR and more action Marcus.

Hopefully get a couple more signings in and things will take some sort of shape

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2017, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Not sure if this an age related comment but there are many times when I yearn for the old days when the only town news we received was on the back of the telegraph.

Personally, not really bothered what managers say before or after the game to the media and you only have to see the circus that follows the occasional critical comment by a premier league manager to realise how desperate the sporting world is for a story.

What matters is what he says to the players, how he motivates and organises them and to date, despite what he may say to the press, it appears his stregths like PH before him, is on the defensive rather than attacking side of the game.

That said its early days still & most mangers when appointed concentrate on securing the defence, as I said on another thread lets hope those 2/3 players arrive that can create some excitement. Does make it strange though why Browne and to a lesser extent Venney have not had a chance to show what they can do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 3:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Cloudy
I said from the start of the season this would be an up and down season and so it seems.

The sad thing is we have rarely fired at home despite the attendances holding up very well. The 5 we scored v Stevenage with Omar's hat trick may well have been the highlight, but that seems like a very long time ago.

Defeats at home to Exeter, Hartlepool, Cheltenham, Crewe etc are worrying because they are hardly the divisional heavyweights but I am concerned by MB's reasoning that our players are unable to compete with mid table teams, or that we are simply not good enough.

I don't accept we aren't good enough to compete, we may well get beaten, but yesterday I thought we were dull from the off and seemed content to 'hold' the mighty Exeter.
I am happy enough with the the formation but less so with the personnel. MB himself has said he wasn't the sort of manager who believed you kept a winning side, more he would select a side to win each game. I don't think he did that yesterday and that isn't just with the benefit of hindsight. The midfield 5 didn't have one genuine attacking player, 3 full backs a defensive midfielder and Dizza. Hardly a positive message to the fans, the opponents or to the GTFC team itself. So much for the attacking football measure MB has declared, I have hardly seen one shred of evidence of it yet.

I don't think this, "these aren't my players" argument holds much water either. No manager comes in mid season and can change all the personnel, the squad is large and varied, but t is up to Bignot to get a system that wins and, secondly entertains, he isn't doing so at present. His comments that the players aren't good enough is not the best example of man management I have ever seen but he continually claims this is a major strength of his.

I am not slagging off the position we find ourselves in the league, perfectly 'happy' to be mid table, really enjoyed away days at Plymouth, Luton, Cambridge etc but long to see something to get enthused about at BP.

Hurst got slagged off for raving about the opposition, Bignot is doing the same whilst also belittling his own players.

Less talk and PR and more action Marcus.

Hopefully get a couple more signings in and things will take some sort of shape

UTM

I think he was a good appointment but the bit you posted which I have highlighted in bold has exposed his inexperience. usually managers of L2 clubs deliver success by working with what they have and adding one or two each Jan.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
Tinymariner
January 15, 2017, 4:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I thought JT let him off the hook when he turned the conversation to incomings and outgoings, I like JT he cares about Town but like him and   Mike White and the lad who does the MP stuff they ask some pretty lame questions. The type of things I waned to hear was,

-  Why did Shaun Person come off
-  Why no offensive change until around 60 odd minutes
-  Did he consider game time for McAllister?
-  How did he rate Gunning
-  Why do you think the home form is so bad

Once you turn the conversation to what we "don't have" in the squad you grant any manager who's team  has just been played off the park a massive get out of jail free card but I suppose it inevitable in a transfer window.  

Agreed, JT is Town through and through and I like the bloke however, he lacks enthusiasm when commentating and never asks the questions that fans want answering.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
Garth
January 15, 2017, 4:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Not sure if this an age related comment but there are many times when I yearn for the old days when the only town news we received was on the back of the telegraph.

Personally, not really bothered what managers say before or after the game to the media and you only have to see the circus that follows the occasional critical comment by a premier league manager to realise how desperate the sporting world is for a story.

What matters is what he says to the players, how he motivates and organises them and to date, despite what he may say to the press, it appears his stregths like PH before him, is on the defensive rather than attacking side of the game.

That said its early days still & most mangers when appointed concentrate on securing the defence, as I said on another thread lets hope those 2/3 players arrive that can create some excitement. Does make it strange though why Browne and to a lesser extent Venney have not had a chance to show what they can do.

We just lost three feckin nil at home, if defence is his strength I don`t want to know his weakness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2017, 5:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner93er

Did he? Because as far as I could tell, he said that in response to why we struggled more second half to first half, which in the context is completely different. And he didn't really do it as an excuse either, his point was clearly that we are not capable of breaking down teams because of a lack of creativity. Which is undoubtedly correct. And in response to others who have said he shouldn't be so open about our need to improve, because the poor players will feel bad. I'm sorry, but what he is saying is blatantly true, and if the players themselves can't see that, then they're deluded.

I could be the manager, watch us lose, come out after the game and say the players are shite. It's his job to make the best of what he has, not whinge about what he doesn't have.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah but this is football and all reason goes out of the window with the attached emotion. I'm not buying a used car from him.

Ginny I have sent you a PM BTW.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
ginnywings
January 15, 2017, 6:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ginny I have sent you a PM BTW.

Seen and replied.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.