HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 9:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
Clearly frustrated and ar$ey after the home wupping and JT didn't help by also seeing his ar$e and ending the interview promptly. I don't care really what MB says after the game, as long as his team does the biz on the pitch and we won't know that until he has had much more time this season and next. Hurst has left us with many mediocre, defensive minded players and all the midfield are much of a muchness. The wide players are not good enough or clever enough or both. Hurst never got us playing well at home and he's left the same kind of solid but uninspiring types behind for MB to work with. Sorry if i mention the previous incumbent again but his legacy lives on in that team.

Though I think PH squad is not at a level to make us play off contenders that squad was maybe all he could cobble together for numerous reason's but we don't really know either way, I am sure he knew to an extent what he was getting and that might explain the style of play.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 14, 2017, 9:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Just listened to it again and it doesn't show him in a positive light. They were better than us, but they aren't streets ahead of us in budget and recruitment, they were set up better, they had a system and a plan. Talking about how technically gifted, fitter, stronger and generally superior the Exeter players were doesn't wash with me and probably won't go down well with the players.
The question about being disappointed with the 2nd half was a fair one and he made himself look silly with his answer, turning the question back on JT who could've mentioned that Town didn't manage an effort on target.

You can have a billy big balls attitude when you've achieved something, there is lots to prove for a novice manager and acting like that doesn't look good. If you send a team out who turn a performance in like that, then you have to take it on the chin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
Mighty_Mariner
January 14, 2017, 9:43pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I had the pleasure of being present during that interview and what most people didn't see is the before and after and the atmosphere in the room and I have to say is what Marcus said was very light hearted.  He didn't come across as a man under pressure at all. He knows exactly what he wants, how he wants to play and the personnel he wants to bring in. He does  however understand that he has to work with what he's got until that happens.

I personally think we're in excellent hands and Marcus is very much the right man for the job.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
ginnywings
January 14, 2017, 9:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
How long has Tidsdale (sp?) had to work on that Exeter side? How long has MB had?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2017, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I had the pleasure of being present during that interview and what most people didn't see is the before and after and the atmosphere in the room and I have to say is what Marcus said was very light hearted.  He didn't come across as a man under pressure at all. He knows exactly what he wants, how he wants to play and the personnel he wants to bring in. He does  however understand that he has to work with what he's got until that happens.

I personally think we're in excellent hands and Marcus is very much the right man for the job.

Pleased to hear it - still doesn't give him the right to belittle John Tondeur.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
oldun
January 14, 2017, 9:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Come on guys and gals, he was clearly unhappy but trying to put a brave face on it. He is right with his assessment of out physical and technical weaknesses to do well in this league. Yet he seems to think there are players in leagues below us who can do better in this one. Time will tell. As for 10 Exeter players behind the ball making it difficult for us, I don't buy that and even if there was, so what, the onus is on us. Having said that this is nothing new as plenty of teams have frustrated us at Blundell Park over the past years in PH's reign and we do lack physical strength and power in the middle of the park and so far this has not been addressed. MB is trying to solve it with the players we gave by trying them in a different formation but at home it has not worked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I thought JT let him off the hook when he turned the conversation to incomings and outgoings, I like JT he cares about Town but like him and   Mike White and the lad who does the MP stuff they ask some pretty lame questions. The type of things I waned to hear was,

-  Why did Shaun Person come off
-  Why no offensive change until around 60 odd minutes
-  Did he consider game time for McAllister?
-  How did he rate Gunning
-  Why do you think the home form is so bad

Once you turn the conversation to what we "don't have" in the squad you grant any manager who's team  has just been played off the park a massive get out of jail free card but I suppose it inevitable in a transfer window.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 14, 2017, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
How long has Tidsdale (sp?) had to work on that Exeter side? How long has MB had?

Ages and not long at all.
I am completely of the thinking that managers need to be given the time and resources to be successful. I do also expect any manager to be able to organise a team of professionals capable of mustering at least one shot on target in 90 minutes.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
RichMariner
January 14, 2017, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I feel there are loads of contradictions going on at the moment.

We're not as good technically or physically as Exeter, yet tonight we're both on 36 points.

Our players need to step it up as we're not in the Conference any more - yet large majority of our squad have played many games in the FL, and we have bids for three players currently playing in the Conference.

We're capable of winning at Plymouth and Carlisle but losing at home to Exeter and Hartlepool.

Some of the fans say our players 'aren't good enough' but good enough for what? At the start of the season I'd have thought the large majority of us would've settled for mid-table potentially flirting with the play-offs

We're good enough for that - and if nothing else at least we're not where Cheltenham are.

I feel the frustration, I really do. I understand the anger of watching us offer nothing at home against a mid-table side. I get it.

But the truth of the matter is that we're a team in transition. We have a new manager trying to impart his ideas and his tactics on a bunch of players signed by a different person who wanted them to play a different way.

I'm hearing some fans say MB is out of his depth, but in his 11 games we've won 4, drawn 3 and lost 4, scored 15 and conceded 13 - and that includes a really tough run against some of this division's top sides.

That's not a bad start really, under the circumstances. I wouldn't say he's out of his depth.

I think we just need to take a bit of perspective here. MB got a small side promoted on an absolute shoestring. He led a bunch of average players to a league title. That says he has some tactical nous about him.

We win some, we lose some. MB does a good interview, then does a bad interview. This is all very symptomatic of an inconsistent side sitting in mid-table.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
bobbyturtle
January 14, 2017, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I thought JT let him off the hook when he turned the conversation to incomings and outgoings, I like JT he cares about Town but like him and   Mike White and the lad who does the MP stuff they ask some pretty lame questions. The type of things I waned to hear was,

-  Why did Shaun Person come off
-  Why no offensive change until around 60 odd minutes
-  Did he consider game time for McAllister?
-  How did he rate Gunning
-  Why do you think the home form is so bad

Once you turn the conversation to what we "don't have" in the squad you grant any manager who's team  has just been played off the park a massive get out of jail free card but I suppose it inevitable in a transfer window.  

i thought jt spoke to mb in a different manner than he did to paul hurst ?

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.