Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2017, 6:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from Garth

We just lost three feckin nil at home, if defence is his strength I don`t want to know his weakness

You obviously want to ignore the other games he has been in charge and the number of goals we have conceded from open play, lets just stick to yesterday and build our opinions on that game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
diehardmariner
January 17, 2017, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 536
The contrasts in opnion on a weekly basis regarding Bignot are enough to make heads explode!

In the summer I thought it was a pretty unanimous that we would all take a learning curve of a season and then perhaps look to kick on.  We've had five years of chasing our tails and trying to outscrap teams like Hayes & Yeading, Barrow, Woking, bloody Gateshead so I think we are entitled to just be happy with an 'OK' season and bed ourselves back in.

Perhaps expectations were heightened when we went to Luton away and sat in the play-offs for a bit, then when Bignot came in we thumped Plymouth and since then we've gone away and done Carlisle in a similar manner so you can understand us getting carried away a bit.  

But it's all about perspective, realistic perspective at that.  We sat in non-league for far too long, we've perhaps forgot how different it is in the league and in my personal opinion the gulf between League Two and the Conference has increased.  When we went down in 2010 I firmly believed that the top 12 of the Conference could easily replace the bottom 12 of League Two, that just isn't the case anymore.  

Much has been made of how Bristol Rovers shot back through this division after their promotion from the Conference, the difference is they had one season outside the league.  They didn't get stuck in a rut like we did.  We're still finding our feet back in the league, flipping hell we've not even got a Fitness Coach on board yet.  The concept of a Head of Recruitment has blown our minds, never mind bringing proper sports science into play.  

The point is both we as fans and Bignot as a manager are on a learning curve.  Regardless if it's Bignot or when it was Hurst, this is a freebie season.  We're not going down and whilst I would love to see such, I don't think we're good enough to go up.  Having a freebie season gives us a great opportunity to build something special.  No pressure, no worries and plenty of opportunity to try things that might not work but at least we know they don't.

Bignot's interview didn't come across well, not on the radio anyway.  That's a worry and if I'm honest his soundbites are becoming a little tiresome, especially when we lose.  But can we stop trying to dig him out every time something doesn't go right or to plan?   Last week the talk was of how exciting everything was and how we're doing things right by bringing players in who are young and hungry.  One bad performance and we're penny pinching and clueless.

It took Paul Hurst five years to get this club out the Conference, his first two/three months in charge were far from spectacular either.  No-one of a sane mind questioned him when he was selecting players brought in by the previous manager.  Equally so no-one of sane mind should be questioning Bignot until he's at the very least had the full transfer window to bring in his own squad.  

Is he perfect?  No.  If he was he wouldn't be here.  Our options were someone up and coming, trying to make their mark on the game or someone who's on the managerial loser roundabout and probably continues to try the same old methods that haven't worked at any point before.  I know which I would rather have.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
ginnywings
January 17, 2017, 11:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Wasn't there a thread dedicated to not getting on the back of the new manager for a period of time? Seemed to remember most were unanimous that this was a good thing. We have already had one post calling for his head FFS and several others of the "cheap option" and "out of his depth" variety. I hate watching us get dicked at home by Exeter as much as the next man, but these things happen in football. It was certainly more entertaining than a 0-0 with Guiseley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 17, 2017, 11:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
Wasn't there a thread dedicated to not getting on the back of the new manager for a period of time? Seemed to remember most were unanimous that this was a good thing. We have already had one post calling for his head FFS and several others of the "cheap option" and "out of his depth" variety. I hate watching us get dicked at home by Exeter as much as the next man, but these things happen in football. It was certainly more entertaining than a 0-0 with Guiseley.

Indeed there was, I don't think it's a case of people getting on his back, is it just not a reaction to the result and his post match interview. Surely people are just commenting on what has happened. I do agree that some people can massively overreact whether we win or lose. I think we will be mid table, I'd like to think MB can take us forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
Posh Harry
January 17, 2017, 12:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,350
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner
The contrasts in opnion on a weekly basis regarding Bignot are enough to make heads explode!

In the summer I thought it was a pretty unanimous that we would all take a learning curve of a season and then perhaps look to kick on.  We've had five years of chasing our tails and trying to outscrap teams like Hayes & Yeading, Barrow, Woking, bloody Gateshead so I think we are entitled to just be happy with an 'OK' season and bed ourselves back in.

Perhaps expectations were heightened when we went to Luton away and sat in the play-offs for a bit, then when Bignot came in we thumped Plymouth and since then we've gone away and done Carlisle in a similar manner so you can understand us getting carried away a bit.  

But it's all about perspective, realistic perspective at that.  We sat in non-league for far too long, we've perhaps forgot how different it is in the league and in my personal opinion the gulf between League Two and the Conference has increased.  When we went down in 2010 I firmly believed that the top 12 of the Conference could easily replace the bottom 12 of League Two, that just isn't the case anymore.  

Much has been made of how Bristol Rovers shot back through this division after their promotion from the Conference, the difference is they had one season outside the league.  They didn't get stuck in a rut like we did.  We're still finding our feet back in the league, flipping hell we've not even got a Fitness Coach on board yet.  The concept of a Head of Recruitment has blown our minds, never mind bringing proper sports science into play.  

The point is both we as fans and Bignot as a manager are on a learning curve.  Regardless if it's Bignot or when it was Hurst, this is a freebie season.  We're not going down and whilst I would love to see such, I don't think we're good enough to go up.  Having a freebie season gives us a great opportunity to build something special.  No pressure, no worries and plenty of opportunity to try things that might not work but at least we know they don't.

Bignot's interview didn't come across well, not on the radio anyway.  That's a worry and if I'm honest his soundbites are becoming a little tiresome, especially when we lose.  But can we stop trying to dig him out every time something doesn't go right or to plan?   Last week the talk was of how exciting everything was and how we're doing things right by bringing players in who are young and hungry.  One bad performance and we're penny pinching and clueless.

It took Paul Hurst five years to get this club out the Conference, his first two/three months in charge were far from spectacular either.  No-one of a sane mind questioned him when he was selecting players brought in by the previous manager.  Equally so no-one of sane mind should be questioning Bignot until he's at the very least had the full transfer window to bring in his own squad.  

Is he perfect?  No.  If he was he wouldn't be here.  Our options were someone up and coming, trying to make their mark on the game or someone who's on the managerial loser roundabout and probably continues to try the same old methods that haven't worked at any point before.  I know which I would rather have.

Good post. Agree with everything you say there diehard
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2017, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

If the subject is post match radio I think the match above prompted the "spoilt" comment from PH, IMHO an even bigger gaff than anything Marcus said on Saturday,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
ginnywings
January 17, 2017, 1:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If the subject is post match radio I think the match above prompted the "spoilt" comment from PH, IMHO an even bigger gaff than anything Marcus said on Saturday,

Indeed. I loved being told that i was "spoilt" after watching us struggle to break down Guiseley. I have just re-watched the offending Marcus post match interview and saw nothing wrong with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
Mariner_09
January 17, 2017, 1:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
It was that comment after I think Boreham Wood rather than Guiseley which spawned the toxic afternoon at Halifax and caused significant collateral damage, I think at least.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
BeijingMariner
January 17, 2017, 1:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
honestly I think that most people who didnt like the post match interview feel that way because it was unnecessarily aggressive and rude to JT, it was presumptuous. That's the way I see it. I hope he can focus on the team, managing it and be a bit nicer to JT, that's all. Of course we can say 'it's football' but it isn't, that is patently nonsense. It's manners and class. I hope he learns and I hope he gets better and stays and we go up, eventually. I dont want him out, I want him to be less aggressive where it's not needed. simples
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
RoboCod
January 17, 2017, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
It's weird how we've gone from Hurst giving mardy, negative, mumbling interviews with too few words to the new man apparently talking too much and not pointing out enough that was wrong with the teams display.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.