MuddyWaters
January 14, 2017, 10:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from RichMariner
I feel there are loads of contradictions going on at the moment.

We're not as good technically or physically as Exeter, yet tonight we're both on 36 points.

Our players need to step it up as we're not in the Conference any more - yet large majority of our squad have played many games in the FL, and we have bids for three players currently playing in the Conference.

We're capable of winning at Plymouth and Carlisle but losing at home to Exeter and Hartlepool.

Some of the fans say our players 'aren't good enough' but good enough for what? At the start of the season I'd have thought the large majority of us would've settled for mid-table potentially flirting with the play-offs.And right now they're good enough for that.

We're good enough for that - and if nothing else at least we're not where Cheltenham are.

I feel the frustration, I really do. I understand the anger of watching us offer nothing at home against a mid-table side. I get it.

But the truth of the matter is that we're a team in transition. We have a new manager trying to impart his ideas and his tactics on a bunch of players signed by a different person who wanted them to play a different way.

I'm hearing some fans say MB is out of his depth, but in his 11 games we've won 4, drawn 3 and lost 4, scored 15 and conceded 13 - and that includes a really tough run against some of this division's top sides.

That's not a bad start really, under the circumstances. I wouldn't say he's out of his depth.

I think we just need to take a bit of perspective here. MB got a small side promoted on an absolute shoestring. He led a bunch of average players to a league title. That says he has some tactical nous about him.

We win some, we lose some. MB does a good interview, then does a bad interview. This is all very symptomatic of an inconsistent side sitting in mid-table.

That's a far too sensible post. I'm as guilty as the next man of a knee-jerk reaction but today was the first time for a very long time that I've left early.

I have one major issue. For a team with so many experienced players (Disley, Davies, Collins), why was our 19 year old goalkeeper having to try and stir a reaction? We truly looked short of leaders today, someone who was going to shake things up.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 10:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from bobbyturtle

i thought jt spoke to mb in a different manner than he did to paul hurst ?

I think he gave up with Hurst ages ago.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
chaos33
January 14, 2017, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from RichMariner

We're not as good technically or physically as Exeter, yet tonight we're both on 36 points.

Our players need to step it up as we're not in the Conference any more - yet large majority of our squad have played many games in the FL, and we have bids for three players currently playing in the Conference.

We're capable of winning at Plymouth and Carlisle but losing at home to Exeter and Hartlepool.

Some of the fans say our players 'aren't good enough' but good enough for what? At the start of the season I'd have thought the large majority of us would've settled for mid-table potentially flirting with the play-offs

We're good enough for that - and if nothing else at least we're not where Cheltenham are.

I feel the frustration, I really do. I understand the anger of watching us offer nothing at home against a mid-table side. I get it.

But the truth of the matter is that we're a team in transition. We have a new manager trying to impart his ideas and his tactics on a bunch of players signed by a different person who wanted them to play a different way.

I'm hearing some fans say MB is out of his depth, but in his 11 games we've won 4, drawn 3 and lost 4, scored 15 and conceded 13 - and that includes a really tough run against some of this division's top sides.

That's not a bad start really, under the circumstances. I wouldn't say he's out of his depth.

I think we just need to take a bit of perspective here. MB got a small side promoted on an absolute shoestring. He led a bunch of average players to a league title. That says he has some tactical nous about him.

We win some, we lose some. MB does a good interview, then does a bad interview. This is all very symptomatic of an inconsistent side sitting in mid-table.

Good post mate. Also think Codger makes a good point about leadership.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
HotToddy
January 14, 2017, 10:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: -444
All Bignot was saying was we ned to add some quality to take us to the next level. Spoke sense (at times)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
KingstonMariner
January 14, 2017, 10:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner

Some of the fans say our players 'aren't good enough' but good enough for what? At the start of the season I'd have thought the large majority of us would've settled for mid-table potentially flirting with the play-offs

Excellent post.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
Mrs Doyle
January 14, 2017, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
"Listen"

I thought you took the urine out of J.T. who clearly sounded uncomfortable not very classy Mr B.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and admit you got it wrong.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
Tommy
January 14, 2017, 11:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Don't see what the fuss is about really. Bignot's clearly laughing and joking with it, not doing it in an aggressive or confrontational way.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
moosey_club
January 14, 2017, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Tommy
Don't see what the fuss is about really. Bignot's clearly laughing and joking with it, not doing it in an aggressive or confrontational way.

"i wont answer your question cos you didnt answer mine" .........Childish regardless of the way it was said.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
Southwark Mariner
January 15, 2017, 2:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82
I listened to the live interview and thought MB was a bit out of line......but I've just watched the video on Mariners Player and all the time Marcus has a big smile on his face. There is no malice in his talk with JT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
jonnyboy82
January 15, 2017, 6:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I like his positivity but not his big balls know it all attitude after we have just been thumped 3-0 at home by trying to insist we lost because they were all more technically gifted than us when he leaves our most technically gifted player on the bench.

He needs to remember we are football fans who have seen decent football here even if it was years ago and we know a good team when we see it and although Exeter were decent we made them look like it by playing sideways passes all day.

He came from Solihull were he was the man and the big dog who did everything and was a big part of it but he has come to us were we are a club much bigger and seen bigger games and who have seen the likes of Buckley who talked a good game but also did it mostly on the pitch, I don't mind his ballsy attitude but I do mind when he tries to pull the wool over my eyes by insisting we haven't got the quality to compete with Exeter with who we have here right now, may i suggest you get a plan together first and ideas to the players and not say we lost because they had 10 men behind the ball.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.