9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
January 14, 2017, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Got to say he struggled under the pressure of questions he should have expected to be asked after a performance like that..

He went rambling on about Exeter having more quality over the pitch and he got arsey with John when asked about the second half ..

His response to why we were poor was they had 10 men behind the ball and we couldn't do anything about it ,  I'm still trying to figure this guy out .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
January 14, 2017, 6:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Got to say he struggled under the pressure of questions he should have expected to be asked after a performance like that..

He went rambling on about Exeter having more quality over the pitch and he got arsey with John when asked about the second half ..

His response to why we were poor was they had 10 men behind the ball and we couldn't do anything about it ,  I'm still trying to figure this guy out .

Didn't hear it all as my PC threw a wobbler but will listen with interest later as the bit i heard sounded slightly desperate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 86
Garth
January 14, 2017, 6:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Poor old JT, an easy out for a manager when faced with awkward questions.
I'm not a lover of Burnsey but think when MB turned the questions around he would have given him both barrels
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 86
Chrisblor
January 14, 2017, 6:46pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,758
Gold Stars: 233
Was a total shambles from Bignot. Yeah so what if Exeter had 10 men behind the ball for most of the match - they still managed to put 3 goals past us while we didn't even trouble their keeper for 90 minutes. Apparently conceding the 3rd was excusable because he's a good player and loads of clubs have put offers in for him recently. Thought we were also meant to have a good player with loads of transfer interest - what happened to him putting his mark on the game today eh Marcus? Getting shirty with Tondeur for asking reasonable questions when your team have played badly and you've made a load of questionable subs and tactical decisions isn't on.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 14, 2017, 6:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
It showed a complete lack of class and intelligence. If poor results are followed by interviews like that he won't last long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 86
RichMariner
January 14, 2017, 6:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
The thing is, fans PAY to watch the match, so the manager at the very least owes it to them to answer their questions - which are put to him, in effect, by JT.

Turning questions back onto JT is effectively turning questions back onto the fans. The fans should never be questioned when they pay good money to support their club.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2017, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner
It showed a complete lack of class and intelligence. If poor results are followed by interviews like that he won't last long.

JT is not Burnsy but Bignot is not Mourinho. I really hate disrespect in people and that was totally uncalled for after a dismal display by a team that he manages. No shots on target in home games is not good enough and he should accept that.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 86
Badger57
January 14, 2017, 7:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Look, listen, was I not happy with that interview.
Churlish and childish. Felt sorry for John there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 86
chaos33
January 14, 2017, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Is there a link please?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2017, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 86
Mariner93er
January 14, 2017, 7:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
He should have shown more class to him. However, it is clear that he is frustrated after what was a terrible performance. And I think a lot of what he says is right, that we don't have good enough players at the minute, and that is clearly frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 86
pizzzza
January 14, 2017, 7:18pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Cringing listening to that, poor from MB.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 86
monkeyboy
January 14, 2017, 7:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
He has came across like a complete tool to JT and sounds like hes pretty angry at the players, basically sounds to me that he knows he is stuck with players he will struggle to offload on long contracts who are far from good enough.

Bit naughty with JT though and sounded a tad childish were he should be professional.
I think he will do a good job and eventually get rid of some drift wood and bring in who he wants.

Not sure why our club can ever get PR right , for years it seems to hav been a struggle with most of the managers and even the not so called Chairman being poor with the media, time to get some training for it i reckon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 86
TAGG
January 14, 2017, 7:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,964
Gold Stars: 123
Like I have said before on here (got load of excrement for it) before MB is full of excrement half the time.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 86
promotion plaice
January 14, 2017, 7:22pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Just listened to it, don't know what all the fuss is about I thought Bignot talked sense.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 86
mariner91
January 14, 2017, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
I thought it was a slightly churlish interview but equally I can kind of see where he's coming from. He's frustrated at what he's having to work with and it's boiled over and he's taken it out on JT. He shouldn't have done this but it happens, even Pep Guardiola was a bit of a twit the other week.

3-5-2 has worked away from home where teams are going to come at us because it has made us very solid. But as has rightly been pointed out, we're going to struggle to be creative in this formation at home where teams are happy to sit back. Particularly when 6 of the outfield 10 are defenders. Our centre midfielder today consisted of a young lad who's great at breaking up play but doesn't offer much going forward, a young player who was most recently a right back in the National League North and an ageing skipper who whilst still capable has never been best known for his passing ability. This isn't to have a go at the players as individuals, it just shows that we're so light in the middle of the pitch because the other options are worse. Except maybe McAllister and hopefully he'll be back in soon.

Equally, switching to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 at home hasn't worked all season. Who would you put out wide to get behind the opposition? To run at them and put balls in to dangerous areas consistently? The options are Jackson who is lightweight, lacking a football brain and confidence and seems unwilling to use his only attribute which is pace. Chambers works very hard and can do a job but IMO there's a reason most of the teams he's played in have been towards the foot of L2 because he doesn't offer anywhere near enough going forward. Bolarinwa is very raw and I'm convinced he's a better impact sub. He's another without much of a football brain, half the time you can see him having to stop and think what to do with it when he receives it. Great option off the bench IMO but not consistently good enough to start. Another option would be to put Vose or Berrett or another player out of position but we know how well that works out. We just do not have the players capable of playing in a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 at present. But it also makes it difficult to change things from the bench. Our only striking option was Vernon and does anyone honestly reckon he'd have made a difference?

The pursuit of players like Osborne, Jones, Maxwell and Asante is a good sign because it at least shows that Bignot recognises the shortcomings of the team and what needs to be sorted out ASAP. Once he's got a few players in of his own that he knows can play to a way that he likes then hopefully performances will improve along with results. He deserves the time to get players in he wants before he can be properly judged. I admit that I'm slightly cautious about the future under Bignot currently but we're mid-table, have a pretty good away record and I'd be highly surprised if we end up in a relegation fight so there's no need to panic right now..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 86
big al
January 14, 2017, 8:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
We all get that MB is infinitely more important than JT in how Town operate and hopefully win games but that was a very ill judged interview by Bignot in my opinion. Acted like a big kid who already thinks he's earned the right to not be questioned or doubted. Doesn't serve you well to have a pop at a man who has earned his stripes over a very long time now with Town. Think he's got a future with us but a little too big for his boots on this occasion (we'd just lost 3 nil). A little more humility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 86
TownSNAFU5
January 14, 2017, 8:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
His comments were immature and showed that he has a bigger ego than most. Not the first poor post-match interview.  After hurst's dull interviews, I was hoping for something better and more honesty about performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 86
ginnywings
January 14, 2017, 8:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Clearly frustrated and ar$ey after the home wupping and JT didn't help by also seeing his ar$e and ending the interview promptly. I don't care really what MB says after the game, as long as his team does the biz on the pitch and we won't know that until he has had much more time this season and next. Hurst has left us with many mediocre, defensive minded players and all the midfield are much of a muchness. The wide players are not good enough or clever enough or both. Hurst never got us playing well at home and he's left the same kind of solid but uninspiring types behind for MB to work with. Sorry if i mention the previous incumbent again but his legacy lives on in that team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,878
Gold Stars: 227
Hmmm........... for someone who clearly enjoys the "sound byte" part of the job he showed a real lack of professionalism and answering questions with questions is dare I say it a bit disrespectful to JT who is a journo/presenter who cares about GTFC.

Some stuff that stood out,

- He's talking a lot publically about improving the group but if you are part of the group how does that make you feel, he needs to keep this off air now.

- Talked about the need for players with better skill and physicality etc...which we all know is right and that the current squad has stepped up but the 3 lads we are looking at from the N:L will also have to make that jump so will they offer an instant impact?

- His response about the 3rd goal scorer "do you knew how much they have been offered for him" was really defensive.

- Correct, in the second half they got men behind the ball when it went to 1 - 0 but at 3.50pm today so far undiscovered tribes in South America would have know this might happen but we appeared not to do anything about it.    

I don't know what t make of this guy when interviewed as even at this early stage he is talking in riddles.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 9:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Clearly frustrated and ar$ey after the home wupping and JT didn't help by also seeing his ar$e and ending the interview promptly. I don't care really what MB says after the game, as long as his team does the biz on the pitch and we won't know that until he has had much more time this season and next. Hurst has left us with many mediocre, defensive minded players and all the midfield are much of a muchness. The wide players are not good enough or clever enough or both. Hurst never got us playing well at home and he's left the same kind of solid but uninspiring types behind for MB to work with. Sorry if i mention the previous incumbent again but his legacy lives on in that team.

Though I think PH squad is not at a level to make us play off contenders that squad was maybe all he could cobble together for numerous reason's but we don't really know either way, I am sure he knew to an extent what he was getting and that might explain the style of play.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 14, 2017, 9:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Just listened to it again and it doesn't show him in a positive light. They were better than us, but they aren't streets ahead of us in budget and recruitment, they were set up better, they had a system and a plan. Talking about how technically gifted, fitter, stronger and generally superior the Exeter players were doesn't wash with me and probably won't go down well with the players.
The question about being disappointed with the 2nd half was a fair one and he made himself look silly with his answer, turning the question back on JT who could've mentioned that Town didn't manage an effort on target.

You can have a billy big balls attitude when you've achieved something, there is lots to prove for a novice manager and acting like that doesn't look good. If you send a team out who turn a performance in like that, then you have to take it on the chin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
Mighty_Mariner
January 14, 2017, 9:43pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I had the pleasure of being present during that interview and what most people didn't see is the before and after and the atmosphere in the room and I have to say is what Marcus said was very light hearted.  He didn't come across as a man under pressure at all. He knows exactly what he wants, how he wants to play and the personnel he wants to bring in. He does  however understand that he has to work with what he's got until that happens.

I personally think we're in excellent hands and Marcus is very much the right man for the job.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
ginnywings
January 14, 2017, 9:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
How long has Tidsdale (sp?) had to work on that Exeter side? How long has MB had?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2017, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I had the pleasure of being present during that interview and what most people didn't see is the before and after and the atmosphere in the room and I have to say is what Marcus said was very light hearted.  He didn't come across as a man under pressure at all. He knows exactly what he wants, how he wants to play and the personnel he wants to bring in. He does  however understand that he has to work with what he's got until that happens.

I personally think we're in excellent hands and Marcus is very much the right man for the job.

Pleased to hear it - still doesn't give him the right to belittle John Tondeur.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
oldun
January 14, 2017, 9:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Come on guys and gals, he was clearly unhappy but trying to put a brave face on it. He is right with his assessment of out physical and technical weaknesses to do well in this league. Yet he seems to think there are players in leagues below us who can do better in this one. Time will tell. As for 10 Exeter players behind the ball making it difficult for us, I don't buy that and even if there was, so what, the onus is on us. Having said that this is nothing new as plenty of teams have frustrated us at Blundell Park over the past years in PH's reign and we do lack physical strength and power in the middle of the park and so far this has not been addressed. MB is trying to solve it with the players we gave by trying them in a different formation but at home it has not worked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I thought JT let him off the hook when he turned the conversation to incomings and outgoings, I like JT he cares about Town but like him and   Mike White and the lad who does the MP stuff they ask some pretty lame questions. The type of things I waned to hear was,

-  Why did Shaun Person come off
-  Why no offensive change until around 60 odd minutes
-  Did he consider game time for McAllister?
-  How did he rate Gunning
-  Why do you think the home form is so bad

Once you turn the conversation to what we "don't have" in the squad you grant any manager who's team  has just been played off the park a massive get out of jail free card but I suppose it inevitable in a transfer window.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 14, 2017, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
How long has Tidsdale (sp?) had to work on that Exeter side? How long has MB had?

Ages and not long at all.
I am completely of the thinking that managers need to be given the time and resources to be successful. I do also expect any manager to be able to organise a team of professionals capable of mustering at least one shot on target in 90 minutes.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
RichMariner
January 14, 2017, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I feel there are loads of contradictions going on at the moment.

We're not as good technically or physically as Exeter, yet tonight we're both on 36 points.

Our players need to step it up as we're not in the Conference any more - yet large majority of our squad have played many games in the FL, and we have bids for three players currently playing in the Conference.

We're capable of winning at Plymouth and Carlisle but losing at home to Exeter and Hartlepool.

Some of the fans say our players 'aren't good enough' but good enough for what? At the start of the season I'd have thought the large majority of us would've settled for mid-table potentially flirting with the play-offs

We're good enough for that - and if nothing else at least we're not where Cheltenham are.

I feel the frustration, I really do. I understand the anger of watching us offer nothing at home against a mid-table side. I get it.

But the truth of the matter is that we're a team in transition. We have a new manager trying to impart his ideas and his tactics on a bunch of players signed by a different person who wanted them to play a different way.

I'm hearing some fans say MB is out of his depth, but in his 11 games we've won 4, drawn 3 and lost 4, scored 15 and conceded 13 - and that includes a really tough run against some of this division's top sides.

That's not a bad start really, under the circumstances. I wouldn't say he's out of his depth.

I think we just need to take a bit of perspective here. MB got a small side promoted on an absolute shoestring. He led a bunch of average players to a league title. That says he has some tactical nous about him.

We win some, we lose some. MB does a good interview, then does a bad interview. This is all very symptomatic of an inconsistent side sitting in mid-table.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
bobbyturtle
January 14, 2017, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I thought JT let him off the hook when he turned the conversation to incomings and outgoings, I like JT he cares about Town but like him and   Mike White and the lad who does the MP stuff they ask some pretty lame questions. The type of things I waned to hear was,

Once you turn the conversation to what we "don't have" in the squad you grant any manager who's team  has just been played off the park a massive get out of jail free card but I suppose it inevitable in a transfer window.  

i thought jt spoke to mb in a different manner than he did to paul hurst ?

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2017, 10:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

We're not as good technically or physically as Exeter, yet tonight we're both on 36 points.

Our players need to step it up as we're not in the Conference any more - yet large majority of our squad have played many games in the FL, and we have bids for three players currently playing in the Conference.

We're capable of winning at Plymouth and Carlisle but losing at home to Exeter and Hartlepool.

Some of the fans say our players 'aren't good enough' but good enough for what? At the start of the season I'd have thought the large majority of us would've settled for mid-table potentially flirting with the play-offs.And right now they're good enough for that.

We're good enough for that - and if nothing else at least we're not where Cheltenham are.

I feel the frustration, I really do. I understand the anger of watching us offer nothing at home against a mid-table side. I get it.

But the truth of the matter is that we're a team in transition. We have a new manager trying to impart his ideas and his tactics on a bunch of players signed by a different person who wanted them to play a different way.

I'm hearing some fans say MB is out of his depth, but in his 11 games we've won 4, drawn 3 and lost 4, scored 15 and conceded 13 - and that includes a really tough run against some of this division's top sides.

That's not a bad start really, under the circumstances. I wouldn't say he's out of his depth.

I think we just need to take a bit of perspective here. MB got a small side promoted on an absolute shoestring. He led a bunch of average players to a league title. That says he has some tactical nous about him.

We win some, we lose some. MB does a good interview, then does a bad interview. This is all very symptomatic of an inconsistent side sitting in mid-table.

That's a far too sensible post. I'm as guilty as the next man of a knee-jerk reaction but today was the first time for a very long time that I've left early.

I have one major issue. For a team with so many experienced players (Disley, Davies, Collins), why was our 19 year old goalkeeper having to try and stir a reaction? We truly looked short of leaders today, someone who was going to shake things up.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 10:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from bobbyturtle

i thought jt spoke to mb in a different manner than he did to paul hurst ?

I think he gave up with Hurst ages ago.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
chaos33
January 14, 2017, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

Some of the fans say our players 'aren't good enough' but good enough for what? At the start of the season I'd have thought the large majority of us would've settled for mid-table potentially flirting with the play-offs

Good post mate. Also think Codger makes a good point about leadership.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
HotToddy
January 14, 2017, 10:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: -444
All Bignot was saying was we ned to add some quality to take us to the next level. Spoke sense (at times)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
KingstonMariner
January 14, 2017, 10:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner

Excellent post.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
Mrs Doyle
January 14, 2017, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
"Listen"

I thought you took the urine out of J.T. who clearly sounded uncomfortable not very classy Mr B.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and admit you got it wrong.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
Tommy
January 14, 2017, 11:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Don't see what the fuss is about really. Bignot's clearly laughing and joking with it, not doing it in an aggressive or confrontational way.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
moosey_club
January 14, 2017, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Tommy
Don't see what the fuss is about really. Bignot's clearly laughing and joking with it, not doing it in an aggressive or confrontational way.

"i wont answer your question cos you didnt answer mine" .........Childish regardless of the way it was said.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
Southwark Mariner
January 15, 2017, 2:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
I listened to the live interview and thought MB was a bit out of line......but I've just watched the video on Mariners Player and all the time Marcus has a big smile on his face. There is no malice in his talk with JT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
jonnyboy82
January 15, 2017, 6:58am
Vodka Drinker
I like his positivity but not his big balls know it all attitude after we have just been thumped 3-0 at home by trying to insist we lost because they were all more technically gifted than us when he leaves our most technically gifted player on the bench.

He needs to remember we are football fans who have seen decent football here even if it was years ago and we know a good team when we see it and although Exeter were decent we made them look like it by playing sideways passes all day.

He came from Solihull were he was the man and the big dog who did everything and was a big part of it but he has come to us were we are a club much bigger and seen bigger games and who have seen the likes of Buckley who talked a good game but also did it mostly on the pitch, I don't mind his ballsy attitude but I do mind when he tries to pull the wool over my eyes by insisting we haven't got the quality to compete with Exeter with who we have here right now, may i suggest you get a plan together first and ideas to the players and not say we lost because they had 10 men behind the ball.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
Mrs Doyle
January 15, 2017, 7:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Tommy

Was it just me or did I get the impression yes Bignot was laughing and so was his colleagues but at John Tondeur who was only asking the questions we all wanted to know.

I repeat it was a bit crass taking cheap shots at a man just doing his job get your own house in order Marcus and admit when you don't get it right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
Garth
January 15, 2017, 9:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Laughing at, not with a true Town supporter does not go down too well with me Marcus, stop laughing after a 3-0 reverse at home and start thinking, talks cheap get on with it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
Ipswin
January 15, 2017, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Bignot is out of his depth. We ship out players deemed not good enough for the Football League and then promptly engage a very moderate non-league manager. We need an experienced man and Bignot as usual has been chosen on the cheap.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
oldun
January 15, 2017, 10:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Didn't take long did it? After months of people moaning about PH's edgy boring interviews, when he was telling it as he saw it. In comes MB hurray people were saying at last someone with a bit of personality and a positive outlook. Now 8 weeks later he is out of order for maintaining his more lighthearted manner. He clearly was not happy with the performance, he saw what we saw, he has seen the weaknesses we have all seen and is trying to do something about it. He has tried different players in different positions to see if he can get an improvement. To be honest in the games we won recently the weaknesses were still there but we got more joy and more breaks in the goal scoring areas and did not make silly defensive errors like we did yesterday, but the potential was still there. Although chances were limited yesterday we still had enough to have scored a couple of goals and the tone on here would have been so different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
Civvy at last
January 15, 2017, 10:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from oldun
Didn't take long did it? After months of people moaning about PH's edgy boring interviews, when he was telling it as he saw it. In comes MB hurray people were saying at last someone with a bit of personality and a positive outlook. Now 8 weeks later he is out of order for maintaining his more lighthearted manner. He clearly was not happy with the performance, he saw what we saw, he has seen the weaknesses we have all seen and is trying to do something about it. He has tried different players in different positions to see if he can get an improvement. To be honest in the games we won recently the weaknesses were still there but we got more joy and more breaks in the goal scoring areas and did not make silly defensive errors like we did yesterday, but the potential was still there. Although chances were limited yesterday we still had enough to have scored a couple of goals and the tone on here would have been so different.

So how would you have felt had the players walked off the pitch at the end smiling and laughing.  Would you have said its ok, just being positive and maintaining a light hearted manner ?
No it doesn't have to be doom and gloom, but sorry, I thought MB was very unprofessional  in the way he handled that. Smiling or not.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
Madeleymariner
January 15, 2017, 10:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
I got the impression it was us with 10 men behind the ball, even when we had possesion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
oldun
January 15, 2017, 11:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

So how would you have felt had the players walked off the pitch at the end smiling and laughing.  Would you have said its ok, just being positive and maintaining a light hearted manner ?
No it doesn't have to be doom and gloom, but sorry, I thought MB was very unprofessional  in the way he handled that. Smiling or not.

The players were rightly disappointed as they came off. MB was disappointed, he certainly was annoyed during the game with certain things that went on and he let his frustration show. With regard to the interview it started in a downbeat way really and rightly said how little trouble they caused us until we gave them 2 goals. When challenged about the second half he rightly commented how much better they were are getting quickly in numbers from box to box and keeping the ball, pointing out that this is a difference at this level. He asked JT if we want to see long balls launched up the pitch and attack from there? He got no answer and simply used that to refuse to say anything about Solihull. He is clearly fed up with being asked. If you watch it on MP it puts his remarks in context. I imagine he would not have been lighthearted in the dressing room.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2017, 11:36am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from oldun

The players were rightly disappointed as they came off. MB was disappointed, he certainly was annoyed during the game with certain things that went on and he let his frustration show. With regard to the interview it started in a downbeat way really and rightly said how little trouble they caused us until we gave them 2 goals. When challenged about the second half he rightly commented how much better they were are getting quickly in numbers from box to box and keeping the ball, pointing out that this is a difference at this level. He asked JT if we want to see long balls launched up the pitch and attack from there? He got no answer and simply used that to refuse to say anything about Solihull. He is clearly fed up with being asked. If you watch it on MP it puts his remarks in context. I imagine he would not have been lighthearted in the dressing room.

We did see long aimless balls launched up to a front two starved of service. I lost count of the amount of times the ball could have gone into Bogle's feet but went over his head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
It may have been light hearted and joking but both MB and JT need to remember despite going out on MP i's predominately a radio interview and actually they where both responsible for what came across as a pretty poor piece of broadcasting. Lame questions asked answered in a manner that told us nothing. Sometimes If you don't get answers from a manager you could start to suspect he does not know the answers.  

I though MB's comments suggesting we could go to a hoof ball style was interesting considering the amount of times yesterdays the ball sat at the feet of the CBs who then sent it long bypassing the anonymous mid field.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
chicaneuk
January 15, 2017, 11:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
That definitely went a bit sour and bad tempered... weird... I guess the pressure is already getting to Bignot But JT does come across as a bit stand-offish and awkward with how he asks his questions which doesn't help. I think Marcus probably wants a bit of banter and I don't think JT is that kind of guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2017, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chicaneuk
That definitely went a bit sour and bad tempered... weird... I guess the pressure is already getting to Bignot But JT does come across as a bit stand-offish and awkward with how he asks his questions which doesn't help. I think Marcus probably wants a bit of banter and I don't think JT is that kind of guy.

I don't think anyone should have wanted 'a bit of banter' after that shower of shite. Didn't he notice how many were left by the end? (PS I only know that not many were left because I was back in the car and JT mentioned it!)
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
ginnywings
January 15, 2017, 12:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Does it really matter? Last week he was a tactical genius and we were heading for the play offs but because we got our ar$es handed to us he is now disrespectful and out of his depth. The extremes of opinion from one week to the next is really quite funny to read. We are a mid table team that will win a few, lose a few and draw a few. Sometimes we will exceed expectations and sometimes we will be put in our place on the pitch. The man is clearly frustrated and has a lot more expectation on his shoulders than he is used to. What he said was correct but some obviously don't want to hear it and think it may upset the players. I don't care about that either as a good proportion of them are not good enough to take us to the next level and probably won't be around for much longer. If this kind of result and reaction is still around this time next season, then yes, have a pop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 12:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Does it really matter? Last week he was a tactical genius and we were heading for the play offs but because we got our ar$es handed to us he is now disrespectful and out of his depth. The extremes of opinion from one week to the next is really quite funny to read. We are a mid table team that will win a few, lose a few and draw a few. Sometimes we will exceed expectations and sometimes we will be put in our place on the pitch. The man is clearly frustrated and has a lot more expectation on his shoulders than he is used to. What he said was correct but some obviously don't want to hear it and think it may upset the players. I don't care about that either as a good proportion of them are not good enough to take us to the next level and probably won't be around for much longer. If this kind of result and reaction is still around this time next season, then yes, have a pop.

Sadly as much as people may not like it these days there is an expectation that managers "front up" (I hate that term) in the media after a game which is a product of 24/7 football. Regardless of who the manager was this season mixed results where always going to happen as we have just got back into the FL after what felt like a millennium in non league.    

This was a poor piece of broadcasting but as I said above it was down to both parties Marcus is still learning the sound byte bit of the job at this level but actually as an experienced broadcaster JT has done better in the past.

Whilst in the car my dad thought MB came across as a bit of a "smart bottom" and "needed to remember he was representing Town on the radio" again another opinion of a paying supporter.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
chaos33
January 15, 2017, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Good post Ginny.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
oldun
January 15, 2017, 1:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chicaneuk

I don't think it was bad tempered but Marcus threw JT when he answered a question with a question. JT was then put off somewhat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
Garth
January 15, 2017, 1:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from oldun

I don't think it was bad tempered but Marcus threw JT when he answered a question with a question. JT was then put off somewhat.

Its MB`s job to answer questions and JT`s job to ask them, not the other way round, have you ever heard it from any manager anywhere before I have`nt, JT should have blown him out of the water saying, Your the manager why are your tactics failing at home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 1:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Its MB`s job to answer questions and JT`s job to ask them, not the other way round, have you ever heard it from any manager anywhere before I have`nt, JT should have blown him out of the water saying, Your the manager why are your tactics failing at home

GTFC like other clubs in the region have a very comfortable relationship with the radio & printed media and have had for years, as much as I loathe his style Dave Burns is the only one who asks anything like a challenging question.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
jonnyboy82
January 15, 2017, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

We were just hammered 3-0 at home in a very poor performance on top of that he gave a very poor post match interview in which he tries to be biggy big balls and claim we lost the match due to Exeter having 10 men behind the ball so again as much as some agree disagree or sit on the fence then yesterday will always be a talking point in one way or another at any club.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
Madeleymariner
January 15, 2017, 1:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Garth

Ive heard many managers reply with a question Wenger, Mourinho, Conti, Hurst, Warnock etc. Good way of deflecting  things and putting the interviewer off his stride, standard technique for managers salemen and general business practice

Also he was fairly honest saying how they have meaning we dont have box to box midfielders hence why he is looking at players like Osborne who from reports arer this type of player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 2:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Ive heard many managers reply with a question Wenger, Mourinho, Conti, Hurst, Warnock etc. Good way of deflecting  things and putting the interviewer off his stride, standard technique for managers salemen and general business practice

Also he was fairly honest saying how they have meaning we dont have box to box midfielders hence why he is looking at players like Osborne who from reports arer this type of player

Is it a "good way" ? some would say it's quite rude but Conti apart (he may do it I've just never seen it) is par for the course for the ones you mention above. I am an experienced senior manager who has worked in sales, commerce and with clinical professionals  where answering a question with a question is considered unprofessional and not general business practice if you ant to remain credible in your field...................The Apprentice does not represent real life.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
Mariner93er
January 15, 2017, 2:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from jonnyboy82

in which he tries to be biggy big balls and claim we lost the match due to Exeter having 10 men behind the ball

Did he? Because as far as I could tell, he said that in response to why we struggled more second half to first half, which in the context is completely different. And he didn't really do it as an excuse either, his point was clearly that we are not capable of breaking down teams because of a lack of creativity. Which is undoubtedly correct. And in response to others who have said he shouldn't be so open about our need to improve, because the poor players will feel bad. I'm sorry, but what he is saying is blatantly true, and if the players themselves can't see that, then they're deluded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
ginnywings
January 15, 2017, 2:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Is it a "good way" ? some would say it's quite rude but Conti apart (he may do it I've just never seen it) is par for the course for the ones you mention above. I am an experienced senior manager who has worked in sales, commerce and with clinical professionals  where answering a question with a question is considered unprofessional and not general business practice if you ant to remain credible in your field...................The Apprentice does not represent real life.  

Yeah but this is football and all reason goes out of the window with the attached emotion. I'm not buying a used car from him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
Cloudy
January 15, 2017, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I said from the start of the season this would be an up and down season and so it seems.

The sad thing is we have rarely fired at home despite the attendances holding up very well. The 5 we scored v Stevenage with Omar's hat trick may well have been the highlight, but that seems like a very long time ago.

Defeats at home to Exeter, Hartlepool, Cheltenham, Crewe etc are worrying because they are hardly the divisional heavyweights but I am concerned by MB's reasoning that our players are unable to compete with mid table teams, or that we are simply not good enough.

I don't accept we aren't good enough to compete, we may well get beaten, but yesterday I thought we were dull from the off and seemed content to 'hold' the mighty Exeter.
I am happy enough with the the formation but less so with the personnel. MB himself has said he wasn't the sort of manager who believed you kept a winning side, more he would select a side to win each game. I don't think he did that yesterday and that isn't just with the benefit of hindsight. The midfield 5 didn't have one genuine attacking player, 3 full backs a defensive midfielder and Dizza. Hardly a positive message to the fans, the opponents or to the GTFC team itself. So much for the attacking football measure MB has declared, I have hardly seen one shred of evidence of it yet.

I don't think this, "these aren't my players" argument holds much water either. No manager comes in mid season and can change all the personnel, the squad is large and varied, but t is up to Bignot to get a system that wins and, secondly entertains, he isn't doing so at present. His comments that the players aren't good enough is not the best example of man management I have ever seen but he continually claims this is a major strength of his.

I am not slagging off the position we find ourselves in the league, perfectly 'happy' to be mid table, really enjoyed away days at Plymouth, Luton, Cambridge etc but long to see something to get enthused about at BP.

Hurst got slagged off for raving about the opposition, Bignot is doing the same whilst also belittling his own players.

Less talk and PR and more action Marcus.

Hopefully get a couple more signings in and things will take some sort of shape

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2017, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Not sure if this an age related comment but there are many times when I yearn for the old days when the only town news we received was on the back of the telegraph.

Personally, not really bothered what managers say before or after the game to the media and you only have to see the circus that follows the occasional critical comment by a premier league manager to realise how desperate the sporting world is for a story.

What matters is what he says to the players, how he motivates and organises them and to date, despite what he may say to the press, it appears his stregths like PH before him, is on the defensive rather than attacking side of the game.

That said its early days still & most mangers when appointed concentrate on securing the defence, as I said on another thread lets hope those 2/3 players arrive that can create some excitement. Does make it strange though why Browne and to a lesser extent Venney have not had a chance to show what they can do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 3:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
I said from the start of the season this would be an up and down season and so it seems.

The sad thing is we have rarely fired at home despite the attendances holding up very well. The 5 we scored v Stevenage with Omar's hat trick may well have been the highlight, but that seems like a very long time ago.

Defeats at home to Exeter, Hartlepool, Cheltenham, Crewe etc are worrying because they are hardly the divisional heavyweights but I am concerned by MB's reasoning that our players are unable to compete with mid table teams, or that we are simply not good enough.

I don't accept we aren't good enough to compete, we may well get beaten, but yesterday I thought we were dull from the off and seemed content to 'hold' the mighty Exeter.
I am happy enough with the the formation but less so with the personnel. MB himself has said he wasn't the sort of manager who believed you kept a winning side, more he would select a side to win each game. I don't think he did that yesterday and that isn't just with the benefit of hindsight. The midfield 5 didn't have one genuine attacking player, 3 full backs a defensive midfielder and Dizza. Hardly a positive message to the fans, the opponents or to the GTFC team itself. So much for the attacking football measure MB has declared, I have hardly seen one shred of evidence of it yet.

I don't think this, "these aren't my players" argument holds much water either. No manager comes in mid season and can change all the personnel, the squad is large and varied, but t is up to Bignot to get a system that wins and, secondly entertains, he isn't doing so at present. His comments that the players aren't good enough is not the best example of man management I have ever seen but he continually claims this is a major strength of his.

I am not slagging off the position we find ourselves in the league, perfectly 'happy' to be mid table, really enjoyed away days at Plymouth, Luton, Cambridge etc but long to see something to get enthused about at BP.

Hurst got slagged off for raving about the opposition, Bignot is doing the same whilst also belittling his own players.

Less talk and PR and more action Marcus.

Hopefully get a couple more signings in and things will take some sort of shape

UTM

I think he was a good appointment but the bit you posted which I have highlighted in bold has exposed his inexperience. usually managers of L2 clubs deliver success by working with what they have and adding one or two each Jan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
Tinymariner
January 15, 2017, 4:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agreed, JT is Town through and through and I like the bloke however, he lacks enthusiasm when commentating and never asks the questions that fans want answering.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
Garth
January 15, 2017, 4:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Not sure if this an age related comment but there are many times when I yearn for the old days when the only town news we received was on the back of the telegraph.

Personally, not really bothered what managers say before or after the game to the media and you only have to see the circus that follows the occasional critical comment by a premier league manager to realise how desperate the sporting world is for a story.

What matters is what he says to the players, how he motivates and organises them and to date, despite what he may say to the press, it appears his stregths like PH before him, is on the defensive rather than attacking side of the game.

That said its early days still & most mangers when appointed concentrate on securing the defence, as I said on another thread lets hope those 2/3 players arrive that can create some excitement. Does make it strange though why Browne and to a lesser extent Venney have not had a chance to show what they can do.

We just lost three feckin nil at home, if defence is his strength I don`t want to know his weakness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2017, 5:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er

Did he? Because as far as I could tell, he said that in response to why we struggled more second half to first half, which in the context is completely different. And he didn't really do it as an excuse either, his point was clearly that we are not capable of breaking down teams because of a lack of creativity. Which is undoubtedly correct. And in response to others who have said he shouldn't be so open about our need to improve, because the poor players will feel bad. I'm sorry, but what he is saying is blatantly true, and if the players themselves can't see that, then they're deluded.

I could be the manager, watch us lose, come out after the game and say the players are shite. It's his job to make the best of what he has, not whinge about what he doesn't have.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah but this is football and all reason goes out of the window with the attached emotion. I'm not buying a used car from him.

Ginny I have sent you a PM BTW.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
ginnywings
January 15, 2017, 6:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ginny I have sent you a PM BTW.

Seen and replied.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2017, 6:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Garth

We just lost three feckin nil at home, if defence is his strength I don`t want to know his weakness

You obviously want to ignore the other games he has been in charge and the number of goals we have conceded from open play, lets just stick to yesterday and build our opinions on that game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
diehardmariner
January 17, 2017, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,410
Gold Stars: 532
The contrasts in opnion on a weekly basis regarding Bignot are enough to make heads explode!

In the summer I thought it was a pretty unanimous that we would all take a learning curve of a season and then perhaps look to kick on.  We've had five years of chasing our tails and trying to outscrap teams like Hayes & Yeading, Barrow, Woking, bloody Gateshead so I think we are entitled to just be happy with an 'OK' season and bed ourselves back in.

Perhaps expectations were heightened when we went to Luton away and sat in the play-offs for a bit, then when Bignot came in we thumped Plymouth and since then we've gone away and done Carlisle in a similar manner so you can understand us getting carried away a bit.  

But it's all about perspective, realistic perspective at that.  We sat in non-league for far too long, we've perhaps forgot how different it is in the league and in my personal opinion the gulf between League Two and the Conference has increased.  When we went down in 2010 I firmly believed that the top 12 of the Conference could easily replace the bottom 12 of League Two, that just isn't the case anymore.  

Much has been made of how Bristol Rovers shot back through this division after their promotion from the Conference, the difference is they had one season outside the league.  They didn't get stuck in a rut like we did.  We're still finding our feet back in the league, flipping hell we've not even got a Fitness Coach on board yet.  The concept of a Head of Recruitment has blown our minds, never mind bringing proper sports science into play.  

The point is both we as fans and Bignot as a manager are on a learning curve.  Regardless if it's Bignot or when it was Hurst, this is a freebie season.  We're not going down and whilst I would love to see such, I don't think we're good enough to go up.  Having a freebie season gives us a great opportunity to build something special.  No pressure, no worries and plenty of opportunity to try things that might not work but at least we know they don't.

Bignot's interview didn't come across well, not on the radio anyway.  That's a worry and if I'm honest his soundbites are becoming a little tiresome, especially when we lose.  But can we stop trying to dig him out every time something doesn't go right or to plan?   Last week the talk was of how exciting everything was and how we're doing things right by bringing players in who are young and hungry.  One bad performance and we're penny pinching and clueless.

It took Paul Hurst five years to get this club out the Conference, his first two/three months in charge were far from spectacular either.  No-one of a sane mind questioned him when he was selecting players brought in by the previous manager.  Equally so no-one of sane mind should be questioning Bignot until he's at the very least had the full transfer window to bring in his own squad.  

Is he perfect?  No.  If he was he wouldn't be here.  Our options were someone up and coming, trying to make their mark on the game or someone who's on the managerial loser roundabout and probably continues to try the same old methods that haven't worked at any point before.  I know which I would rather have.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
ginnywings
January 17, 2017, 11:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Wasn't there a thread dedicated to not getting on the back of the new manager for a period of time? Seemed to remember most were unanimous that this was a good thing. We have already had one post calling for his head FFS and several others of the "cheap option" and "out of his depth" variety. I hate watching us get dicked at home by Exeter as much as the next man, but these things happen in football. It was certainly more entertaining than a 0-0 with Guiseley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 17, 2017, 11:20am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Wasn't there a thread dedicated to not getting on the back of the new manager for a period of time? Seemed to remember most were unanimous that this was a good thing. We have already had one post calling for his head FFS and several others of the "cheap option" and "out of his depth" variety. I hate watching us get dicked at home by Exeter as much as the next man, but these things happen in football. It was certainly more entertaining than a 0-0 with Guiseley.

Indeed there was, I don't think it's a case of people getting on his back, is it just not a reaction to the result and his post match interview. Surely people are just commenting on what has happened. I do agree that some people can massively overreact whether we win or lose. I think we will be mid table, I'd like to think MB can take us forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
Posh Harry
January 17, 2017, 12:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from diehardmariner
The contrasts in opnion on a weekly basis regarding Bignot are enough to make heads explode!

In the summer I thought it was a pretty unanimous that we would all take a learning curve of a season and then perhaps look to kick on.  We've had five years of chasing our tails and trying to outscrap teams like Hayes & Yeading, Barrow, Woking, bloody Gateshead so I think we are entitled to just be happy with an 'OK' season and bed ourselves back in.

Perhaps expectations were heightened when we went to Luton away and sat in the play-offs for a bit, then when Bignot came in we thumped Plymouth and since then we've gone away and done Carlisle in a similar manner so you can understand us getting carried away a bit.  

But it's all about perspective, realistic perspective at that.  We sat in non-league for far too long, we've perhaps forgot how different it is in the league and in my personal opinion the gulf between League Two and the Conference has increased.  When we went down in 2010 I firmly believed that the top 12 of the Conference could easily replace the bottom 12 of League Two, that just isn't the case anymore.  

Much has been made of how Bristol Rovers shot back through this division after their promotion from the Conference, the difference is they had one season outside the league.  They didn't get stuck in a rut like we did.  We're still finding our feet back in the league, flipping hell we've not even got a Fitness Coach on board yet.  The concept of a Head of Recruitment has blown our minds, never mind bringing proper sports science into play.  

The point is both we as fans and Bignot as a manager are on a learning curve.  Regardless if it's Bignot or when it was Hurst, this is a freebie season.  We're not going down and whilst I would love to see such, I don't think we're good enough to go up.  Having a freebie season gives us a great opportunity to build something special.  No pressure, no worries and plenty of opportunity to try things that might not work but at least we know they don't.

Bignot's interview didn't come across well, not on the radio anyway.  That's a worry and if I'm honest his soundbites are becoming a little tiresome, especially when we lose.  But can we stop trying to dig him out every time something doesn't go right or to plan?   Last week the talk was of how exciting everything was and how we're doing things right by bringing players in who are young and hungry.  One bad performance and we're penny pinching and clueless.

It took Paul Hurst five years to get this club out the Conference, his first two/three months in charge were far from spectacular either.  No-one of a sane mind questioned him when he was selecting players brought in by the previous manager.  Equally so no-one of sane mind should be questioning Bignot until he's at the very least had the full transfer window to bring in his own squad.  

Is he perfect?  No.  If he was he wouldn't be here.  Our options were someone up and coming, trying to make their mark on the game or someone who's on the managerial loser roundabout and probably continues to try the same old methods that haven't worked at any point before.  I know which I would rather have.

Good post. Agree with everything you say there diehard
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2017, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

If the subject is post match radio I think the match above prompted the "spoilt" comment from PH, IMHO an even bigger gaff than anything Marcus said on Saturday,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
ginnywings
January 17, 2017, 1:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If the subject is post match radio I think the match above prompted the "spoilt" comment from PH, IMHO an even bigger gaff than anything Marcus said on Saturday,

Indeed. I loved being told that i was "spoilt" after watching us struggle to break down Guiseley. I have just re-watched the offending Marcus post match interview and saw nothing wrong with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
Mariner_09
January 17, 2017, 1:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
It was that comment after I think Boreham Wood rather than Guiseley which spawned the toxic afternoon at Halifax and caused significant collateral damage, I think at least.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
BeijingMariner
January 17, 2017, 1:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
honestly I think that most people who didnt like the post match interview feel that way because it was unnecessarily aggressive and rude to JT, it was presumptuous. That's the way I see it. I hope he can focus on the team, managing it and be a bit nicer to JT, that's all. Of course we can say 'it's football' but it isn't, that is patently nonsense. It's manners and class. I hope he learns and I hope he gets better and stays and we go up, eventually. I dont want him out, I want him to be less aggressive where it's not needed. simples
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
RoboCod
January 17, 2017, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
It's weird how we've gone from Hurst giving mardy, negative, mumbling interviews with too few words to the new man apparently talking too much and not pointing out enough that was wrong with the teams display.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
1mickylyons
January 17, 2017, 2:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from RoboCod
It's weird how we've gone from Hurst giving mardy, negative, mumbling interviews with too few words to the new man apparently talking too much and not pointing out enough that was wrong with the teams display.

Just like MB to give us an insight into what they work on all week and why it fails at home.I accept we will lose games that`s a given but it`s how we lose that concerns me where is the fast start high tempo we all crave not seen it at BP since his first game really?As for his media comments it`s a 10 fold improvement even in a Brummie accent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 86
ginnywings
January 17, 2017, 2:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Just like MB to give us an insight into what they work on all week and why it fails at home.I accept we will lose games that`s a given but it`s how we lose that concerns me where is the fast start high tempo we all crave not seen it at BP since his first game really?As for his media comments it`s a 10 fold improvement even in a Brummie accent.

He did tell us why it fails. Teams sit behind the ball and ask us to break them down. We haven't got the technical ability to do so. It's easier to manage a game when all you have to do is sit back and let a team come at you, then hit them on the break. We have done it to others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 86
Cloudy
January 17, 2017, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings

He did tell us why it fails. Teams sit behind the ball and ask us to break them down. We haven't got the technical ability to do so. It's easier to manage a game when all you have to do is sit back and let a team come at you, then hit them on the break. We have done it to others.

Totally agree but I dont think Exeter played that way on Saturday. they often had 3 up front and support from midfield and when we were on the attack they certainly didnt bring everyone back to defend imo
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2017, 2:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
It was that comment after I think Boreham Wood rather than Guiseley which spawned the toxic afternoon at Halifax and caused significant collateral damage, I think at least.

Other than scoring numerous goals in games last season versus poor sides, choking at home, business like away performances and dealing with Wembley really well if you think we where ever spoilt then your expectation must be pretty low. I would describe last season as a functional, pragmatic promotion success. ...............All history now though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 86
RoboCod
January 17, 2017, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
If there's one piece of the Hurst legacy that's still around then it's that of a team that struggles to cope at home. Hurst never explained it away convincingly and now I think MB fails to hit home with his views because he's being too guarded with his views, it would be very easy to take what he says about the current system and take it as criticism of player x, y and z. That's how I'm hearring him at least, and I'm still reserving judgement until he has his own team in place.
When that happens it has to be better, there'll be no hiding place.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 86
madness2010
January 17, 2017, 3:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +45
I didnt find anything much wrong with the mb post match interview, never had time for hurst who was a dour manager who played dour football 90% of the time, 5 years taken to glean any success with his various squads and was slightly fortunate how things panned out in the play off semi against Braintree, spoilt yes I was spoilt when newman/kerr teams regularly played teams off Blundell park and I was certainly spoilt when buckley mk1 and mk2 was regularly also played teams off the park, best match for me was town v Huddersfield on a Tuesday night and we won 4-0 with a rolls Royce of a performance,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2017, 3:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod
If there's one piece of the Hurst legacy that's still around then it's that of a team that struggles to cope at home. Hurst never explained it away convincingly and now I think MB fails to hit home with his views because he's being too guarded with his views, it would be very easy to take what he says about the current system and take it as criticism of player x, y and z. That's how I'm hearring him at least, and I'm still reserving judgement until he has his own team in place.
When that happens it has to be better, there'll be no hiding place.

Though I am losing interest in his interviews which is down to the likes of JT and Dale as much as the managers comments I think Marcus will take us forward and I really like the fact he is building infrastructure that differentiates us from a non league club or even L2 strugglers.

I think it will be this window the close season and possibly beyond before we can call the team "his side" in the meantime it would be good to see us win at BP a bit more as if nothing else it costs a lot of fans a large proportion of their disposable income to go to games. I know Marcus knows this kind of thing so if nothing else lets see what Saturday brings now as we possibly will not get a better chance of a home win even if it's not by playing technically good "Champaign football".    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 86
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot post match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.