Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 139 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 13,335 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
August 27, 2016, 10:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Not too much to add to what's already been said but there's enough of the same criticisms on here after a defeat so i'll still post anyway.

Bogle and Vose were fantastic. Pearson absolutely impeccable throughout.

Bogle's all round game was so pleasing to see. Work-rate, team-work, 2 assists (great work for Summerfields goal), great strength, hold up play and more importantly a massive goal threat all afternoon.

Vose showed what he's shown glimpses of already, that he's the most technically gifted footballer we have at the club. I love watching players who are comfortable with the ball in tight areas and when opposition players are getting around them. Vose seems to actually thrive on this. Happy to receive the ball with a man near him. Great strength to hold players off and then despite not being quick he can beat players for fun as he did 2 or 3 in one run in the first half.

Shaun Pearson. Dead pleased for him. I thought he was rightfully out of the team at the time last season, and thought that of our centre-backs this year, he would be the one who would find it too tough at this level and maybe not be quite good enough. HOWEVER, he's ended up being our best centre-back now and the first CB on the teamsheet. Was solid last week against Orient but for an unfortunate slip (thats all it was) and was absolutey faultless today too. When we sign a new centre half it should be to partner Shaun. Boyce i dont think looks L2 quality and Gowling's form is worrying me as he is getting bullied and looking sloppy.

We scored 5 great goals today. When they got their first one (bogle's only real negative today giving away poor free kick in that area) I thought the Chambers chance at 2-0 couldve come back to haunt us, but our attacking play today was on a different level to what we've produced so far.

Don't know what Macca was doing for their second. To come out of your goal like that, then stop and let the guy get the ball and cross it in front of the net youv'e just left open???

We could've had more today as well as the Stevenage keeper was actually quite good, making several important saves. I thought Stevenage actually passed the ball and moved it very well at times today. Saying that, they didn't really create anything and i only really remember Macca's save where to be fair he got down well to his right.

Bottom line, really really enjoyable game to watch and another 3 points in the bag.

Now lets take a massive following to Meadow Lane.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 78
TAGG
August 27, 2016, 10:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Great when you can walk away from BP and can't wait for the next game to come around.
Best performance I have seen from a Town striker for a very long time.
Vose was real class today.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 78
Mariner_09
August 27, 2016, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I've never seem an all round performance as good as Omar Bogle's today. If he can be half as well as that every week he'll be off to Walsall for 750k in January. His ball control, awarness, aerial ability, hold up play was impeccable. Also got his first two goals at the Ponny and first free kick. Absolutely superb.

Also thought Summerfield was excellent. His use of the ball, work off the ball, tackling were excellent and his finish was brilliant and also rattled the bar.

I can see why Hursty is frantically trying to sign an extra centre half, to play alongside Gowling in my opinion. This guy needs to be dominating and athletic to compensate for the current lack of the stated attributes. I'm expecting if that is the case that we will look more secure. I thought McKeown was good today. Made an excellent save and commanded his area well I thought. The second goal was a lack of communication between McKeown and Pearson where both tried to deal with it and resulted in neither of them doing anything.

Controversially I agree with Hursty. We completely outplayed Orient for 52 minutes last week but bar Omar only played well in patches today. We looked shakier defensively today but that first goal was an undefendable free kick by McAnuff.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2016, 11:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Just had a thought and i think its a valid one with the transfer window closing next week and with bogle scoring goals last season and a hatrick today in the league will clubs who will have in no doubt monitored him make a bid ?

Maybe not but i wouldnt be surprised after his performance today, the lad could go far if he keeps going playing like that but i personally hope no one gets tempted.

I genuinely wonder what his value is now compared to the 50 k we paid for him, my guess is at least 200 grand as of now.

He keeps progressing and scoring and that could at least double by the end of the season imo.

Thoughts ?

Well for once we are completely in the driving seat. Two more years on his contract; we can afford to keep him and develop him into a very good player before even considering any offers, unless it is really big money. We obviously wont keep him for ever but this is a chance for us to maximise the fee. It will also underline the fact that we should keep searching for these rough diamonds a league or two below.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 78
CairnsMariner
August 28, 2016, 12:36am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
Quoted from ginnywings
Any nonsense about this side not being as good as last seasons is firmly put to bed today. As good an attacking display of football as i have seen for many a season and Bogle was unplayable. A 10/10 performance that will have scouts driving to BP if h keeps that up. Scored three, made two, hit the bar with a piledriver and they simply couldn't handle him. The confidence was flowing through him.

Vose was a bag of tricks and scored possibly the goal of the game but that's difficult to judge because they were all fantastic. As an attacking unit, we were unstoppable. The back line is still a worry though and McKeown didn't cover himself in glory. At fault for both goals, especially the second and he is making the defence jittery IMO.

Some excellent performances today but the team as a whole just clicked going forward and we got the goals we deserved last week. Still not seen anything to worry about in this league and i'm still confident we will do well. Even more so after today. Need to stop shipping goals though and that's the only blot from today.

The best standard of football i have seen at BP for years and years. We have some very good players. Onward and upward.

Fabulous to be reading such positivity in a Town [Football League] match review.

Brilliant result - even against a struggling side - and great to see us getting some reward for what reads like good football so far this season. Yes, we clearly need to stop leaking soft goals and we need to start picking up results away from BP, but at least we are looking like what we are, a football league side (I'll admit to being a little nervous about that preseason).

UTM

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around
Don't go down to Freeman Street

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 78
Mariner_09
August 28, 2016, 12:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
All the teams I have seen so far (I wasn't at Colchester admittedly) haven't given me anything to worry about. We looked far more technically and athletically gifted compared with previous years and I said even before today that the squad needed a major overhaul as we finished 21 points behind Cheltenham who aren't exactly setting the world alight. Still think an athletic and dominating centre half would help, a Nathan Pond style player. In a strange sort of way I think Dis looks better this year, he seems to benefit from having players as if not more composed on the ball around him. In the conference he was surrounded by players with awful touches who panicked when anyone ran near them and he seems happier to move the ball quicket to players he knows can control it.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 78
Davec
August 28, 2016, 7:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Well I don't think we were faultless from start to finish because we were scrappy at times, but when we were good we looked absolutely fantastic.

I think today you could see the difference from league 2 to the conference, sharper quicker passing, more intelligent, and at times we passed extremely well.

Disley was efficient and contributed to the team by keeping a cool calm head and he kept the ball moving, Summerfield was effective also, well taken goal, Chambers I don't think offers much goal threat, although he did come close a few times today, but he's a bloody grafter, absolute work horse which is what we like to see, Jackson was decent without overly effective but again he's a grafter and he'll be a good player for us over the course of the season I'm sure.

Defensively shaky again, you can understand why Hurst is searching for defensive upgrades, and if John Fenty is to be believed when he said 4 could be coming in, I hope a new keeper is one of them to challenge Mckeown, I thought Pearson had a good game but could have done better for both goals, Gowling is the weak link to me, he was a fine defender in the conference for us but I think he's out of his depth here, looks a bag of nerves, even when on the ball with no opposition player closing him down he still looks rushed! I think at 33/34 years old, conference is his level, he just looks like a walking disaster, a mistake always looks imminent! and obviously Hurst couldn't do much because he was already under contract anyway so it is what it is, however it is with regret that I say I wouldn't like him with us next season. Mckeown made a fine sharp save first half but undone it all by not covering himself with glory for either goal! the 2nd was absolutely abysmal goalkeeping!

I'll reserve a mention to the 2 standouts today Vose and Bogle.

I criticized Vose after Derby you may remember but today I thought he was absolutely Incredible, his close ball control really is a cut above, he style of play means he does the unpredictable, would hate to be playing against him because you just don't know what he'll do next! like his goal was totally out of the blue! it suprised the goalkeeper and it suprised the fans because we were abit late to jump up celebrating, absolute superb performance.

But Omar Bogle was sensational, 3 goals and 2 assists, all 3 goals had a touch of class and both goals were good assists also! he was absolutely perfect today, won headers, held the ball up, beat defenders, and contributed to all 5 goals! I actually thought his hattrick wasn't going to come because he cracked the bar from 25 yards and their keeper palmed away some crackers from him, I didn't think he would get his hat trick, then when we got the free kick right at the death, I'm not really confident with Bogle stepping over free kicks but I can understand him taking this one because he wanted his hattrick and he got his hattrick in fine style, he was unplayable today, no defender could have stopped him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 78
rancido
August 28, 2016, 11:36am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
I think yesterdays showed  Maccas strengths and weaknesses. His reaction saves and general positioning are fine but he doesn't command his six yard box enough for my liking and I get the impression that he isn't very vocal ( maybe some of you Pontoonites can confirm this). As we are in higher division this season then his weaknesses could be exposed even more. For the first goal he should have been challenging for the high cross at the back post within the six yard box and God knows what he was thinking about for the second. I don't want to take anything away from what wa a great town performance but leaking goals that are self-inflicted can really unsettle the defence.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 78
TheRealJohnLewis
August 28, 2016, 11:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Braintree away was the turning point for Bogle. As a player he needs to feel loved and he become a hero that day.

Aldershot away when he came on as a sub.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 78
TheExiledMariner_Dubai
August 28, 2016, 12:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +49
I love macca but does he need some competition. Hes a shoe in at the moment with just an OAP for cover?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.